PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Armchair QB: Big Finish Edition

War Machine Dawg
10-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Gents, my Armchair QB is up at FWTCT (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/10/25/5029130/wmd-armchair-qb-big-finish-edition-msu-bulldogs-kentucky-dan-mullen-dak-prescott-jameon-lewis) for your consumption. You know the drill. Let's do it.

TheRef
10-25-2013, 04:23 PM
If you'd like to blame anyone for the poor student attendance for this game, blame the SEC for scheduling it on our Fall Break. Can't fault all the students who live too far for a weekend visit for a 2-day weekend.

hacker
10-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Wow, an actual positive assessment. Thank you.

Ghost of Hank Flick
10-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Good points made. Probably a little more positive than I would have been - but it was not all bad last night.

The students were horrible last night but I would also add the entire stadium. It was about 75% full to start and 50% full by the 4th quarter. For a game that we HAD to win I thought that was pathetic, Thursday night or not.

ETA: I still hate the video board, it kills everything.

War Machine Dawg
10-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Good points made. Probably a little more positive than I would have been - but it was not all bad last night.

The students were horrible last night but I would also add the entire stadium. It was about 75% full to start and 50% full by the 4th quarter. For a game that we HAD to win I thought that was pathetic, Thursday night or not.

ETA: I still hate the video board, it kills everything.

Considering it was a Thursday night game, I thought the crowd were pretty good. Thursday games are damn hard on the fanbase, especially those from the coast. Gotta get at least a half day or more off work, drive up, etc. And then throw in a weak opponent in UK, that makes it hard. The place was full and rocking when Cam & Auburn came to town Mullen's 2nd season. But I'll be honest: I was expecting a better showing from us as a whole. But the students earned a special "screw you" for their bullshit.

I actually thought we did much better overall with the video board last night. I know we have to have some ads because of the financial help in buying the thing, but could we at least mute the volume for them and play pump up music? I actually really loved having World Series look-ins. It's better at keeping the crowd in it than that God-awful Mercedes commercial. That one sucks the life out of everything.

War Machine Dawg
10-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Shameless Self-Promotion Bump

maroonmania
10-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Considering it was a Thursday night game, I thought the crowd were pretty good. Thursday games are damn hard on the fanbase, especially those from the coast. Gotta get at least a half day or more off work, drive up, etc. And then throw in a weak opponent in UK, that makes it hard. The place was full and rocking when Cam & Auburn came to town Mullen's 2nd season. But I'll be honest: I was expecting a better showing from us as a whole. But the students earned a special "screw you" for their bullshit.

I actually thought we did much better overall with the video board last night. I know we have to have some ads because of the financial help in buying the thing, but could we at least mute the volume for them and play pump up music? I actually really loved having World Series look-ins. It's better at keeping the crowd in it than that God-awful Mercedes commercial. That one sucks the life out of everything.

I went Thursday night but our athletic dept. is being EXTREMELY short sighted with being "sell outs" on these Thursday games. MSU has THE most remote fanbase from the school in the SEC because there are no real population centers near the school. So you've got not only people trying to get off work and travel but for families that come do you know how hard it is to get a kid excused from school to travel to a ball game? And to do it when the college students aren't even in town is just nothing short of asinine. On top of that it used to be you were the only game in town for TV on Thursday nights but now you are on against an NFL game and this past Thursday even a World Series game. And with the SEC conracts now you are ALWAYS televised even on Saturday even if only regionally. And having 2 Saturday games moved to Thursday this season is beyond ridiculous. I know one is on a holiday but you are still having fans sacrifice time with family to come to the game. Other SEC teams have totally quit doing these workday weekday games to their traveling fanbase and for good reason. Given the MSU football product on the field seemingly being rather stagnant I see no reason for MSU to put an extra burden on the fan that actually shows up for the game if you want them to keep coming while you are expanding the stadium. I was actually hoping for a bad showing from fans this past Saturday so Stricklin would wake his ass up and quit doing this crap.

War Machine Dawg
10-26-2013, 02:33 PM
I went Thursday night but our athletic dept. is being EXTREMELY short sighted with being "sell outs" on these Thursday games. MSU has THE most remote fanbase from the school in the SEC because there are no real population centers near the school. So you've got not only people trying to get off work and travel but for families that come do you know how hard it is to get a kid excused from school to travel to a ball game? And to do it when the college students aren't even in town is just nothing short of asinine. On top of that it used to be you were the only game in town for TV on Thursday nights but now you are on against an NFL game and this past Thursday even a World Series game. And with the SEC conracts now you are ALWAYS televised even on Saturday even if only regionally. And having 2 Saturday games moved to Thursday this season is beyond ridiculous. I know one is on a holiday but you are still having fans sacrifice time with family to come to the game. Other SEC teams have totally quit doing these workday weekday games to their traveling fanbase and for good reason. Given the MSU football product on the field seemingly being rather stagnant I see no reason for MSU to put an extra burden on the fan that actually shows up for the game if you want them to keep coming while you are expanding the stadium. I was actually hoping for a bad showing from fans this past Saturday so Stricklin would wake his ass up and quit doing this crap.

I'm on board with no more Thursday night games. I understand why we started doing it in the late 90s. We were a smaller program desperately in need of exposure. And as you point out, you were literally the only game on TV that night, unless a World Series game happened to coincide. There weren't any other football games at all. But times have changed with the ESPN TV deal and the SEC Network beginning next season. We have plenty of exposure on Saturdays now without needing to play on Thursday nights. Even if it's ESPN3 and/or PPV, we're on TV for EVERY game now. It just no longer makes sense to put our fanbase in the bind that Thursday night games do. Hopefully our administration will figure this out, but I won't be holding my breath for LT 2.0.