PDA

View Full Version : Richard DeWeese on Iverson Molinar

ShotgunDawg
09-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Just listening to the Bo Bounds show & he was interviewing MRA basketball coach Richard DeWeese.

DeWeese said, "Out of the program, they are telling me that Iverson Molinar is the best point guard we have ever had"

Sheesh. Really?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Just listening to the Bo Bounds shows & he was interviewing MRA basketball coach Richard DeWeese.

DeWeese said, "Out of he program, they are telling me that Iverson Molinar is the best point guard we have ever had"

Sheesh. Really?

Yea ok....I'll believe it when I see it.

msugolf
09-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Yea ok....I'll believe it when I see it.

I take it you don't think he's that good?

BrunswickDawg
09-06-2019, 11:07 AM

I think its called Renardo Sidney PTSD

fishwater99
09-06-2019, 11:15 AM

That's a really bold statement. Best ever at MSU...

Cooterpoot
09-06-2019, 11:16 AM
DeWeese is pretty accurate. He’s got a chance to be great. Been getting rave reviews.

StarkVegasSteve
09-06-2019, 11:17 AM
That's the same thing that everyone has been reporting. Jon Rothstein reported the same thing about two weeks ago. There's a bunch of folks who are extremely high on this kid and think we may have found the diamond in the rough of this recruiting cycle.

msstate7
09-06-2019, 11:21 AM
Practice reports and all, but if true, our season looks much better than expected. Guess 3 guards with him, carter, and nick, huh?

Dawg61
09-06-2019, 11:23 AM
Lamar Peters was the talk of Vegas and was listed as a lottery draft pick. Where's he now? These predictions by writers for basketball are 17ing worthless. However I do hope this one is correct.

thf24
09-06-2019, 11:30 AM
I think its called Renardo Sidney PTSD

I understand your point but Sidney was a pretty unique case. He was that good... just no one expected him to show up on campus 100 pounds overweight and with the self-motivation of a 3 year old.

msugolf
09-06-2019, 11:33 AM
That's a really bold statement. Best ever at MSU...

Not really. Who's the best pg we've ever had? Chuck Evans? Dee Bost? Zimmerman?

I just find it odd that so many of our fans are so negative towards men's basketball, like almost get angry when people start talking about it.

Everyone I've talked to, even before he arrived, has said that he's the kind of player that'll win you games.

gtowndawg
09-06-2019, 11:39 AM

I just find it odd that so many of our fans are so negative towards men's basketball, like almost get angry when people start talking about it.

Everyone I've talked to, even before he arrived, has said that he's the kind of player that'll win you games.

It is a strange phenomenon. This kid scored like 38 on the top AAU team in the country last year. He's good. Best ever? We need to wait and see but why more fans can't act excited for good basketball news is bizarre to me.

thf24
09-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Practice reports and all, but if true, our season looks much better than expected. Guess 3 guards with him, carter, and nick, huh?

Unfortunate that that would take Woodard out of the starting five, but I guess it makes the most sense if Molinar really is a stud. Or we could go small and skilled in some matchups with Woodard at the 4 and Perry at the 5.

StarkVegasSteve
09-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Unfortunate that that would take Woodard out of the starting five, but I guess it makes the most sense if Molinar really is a stud. Or we could go small and skilled in some matchups with Woodard at the 4 and Perry at the 5.

If he's as advertised and you just can't keep him off the floor then you go small ball and play Nick, Molinar, Tyson, Woodard, and Perry. We'll get a decent gauge of him early since Nick will be out addt. games to start the season.

Tbonewannabe
09-06-2019, 11:47 AM
I think most fans are still a little gun shy from the end of Stansbury through the Ricky Ray debacle. Howland in the last 2 years has gotten us to where we were with Stans prior to the dumpster fire season.

As far as great point guards, I would say Zimmerman if you held a gun to my head. Dee Bost was probably the most talented but I would value team leadership at the PG position. Peters was a pretty good PG but he had his own issues.

StateDawg44
09-06-2019, 11:48 AM
It is a strange phenomenon. This kid scored like 38 on the top AAU team in the country last year. He's good. Best ever? We need to wait and see but why more fans can't act excited for good basketball news is bizarre to me.

It unfortunately happens in more sports than basketball.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-06-2019, 11:55 AM
Iverson is going to be very good. We don't need him to carry the team or anything this year so expecting him to come & take over this year may be ambitious. He's going to be a very good contributor off the bench. Our bench won't be the question mark people think when this team gets to full strength.

BrunswickDawg
09-06-2019, 12:25 PM
I understand your point but Sidney was a pretty unique case. He was that good... just no one expected him to show up on campus 100 pounds overweight and with the self-motivation of a 3 year old.

And that is why people are gun-shy about someone being "the best ever" before we have ever actually seen them on the court. Add to it our experience with Rodney Hood; and then Malik Newman, and then Lamar Peters, and you can see where our track record with the "next" players causes skepticism. I hope the kid is terrific and we have a spectacular season. I think the talent is the best we have seen in a long, long time. But, I completely understand why anyone who has watched our program over the last decade can be skeptical about someone they haven't seen yet.

MedDawg
09-06-2019, 01:01 PM

I say Chuck Evans. His two seasons at State are State's two highest assist seasons. I'm not sure of his shooting, but he sure could pass the ball.

Zimmerman may be considered better just because he could drive to the rim so well. I can still picture him rising higher and higher to dunk over McNeese State's 7-footer in Dallas (I was behind the goal at the other end). I was also there when Zimmerman drove to the basket for the winning goal at Ole Miss. Two of State's better men's basketball plays.

Johnson85
09-06-2019, 01:36 PM

Not sure about Chuck Evans, but of PGs I've seen, I'd probably go Bullard, Zimmerman, Honore, Bost/Peters. Probaby forgetting somebody, but while there are some good players on that list, I would think it odd if our best point guard ever didn't end up being coached by Howland just because of his track record (and assuming he coaches another 4 or 5 years). And I really think Nick would be competitive with that group if he hadn'nt been playing out of position to accommodate Peters.

Johnson85
09-06-2019, 01:39 PM

I may be expecting too much of a jump out of Woodard, but if Molinar really was that kind of star that had to be in the starting line up as a true freshman (which I'm assuming is not the case), I think Carter would end up as the odd man out, although we'd probably end up with a 1a lineup and a 1b lineup, since Nick, Woodard, and Perry might not provide enough outside threat from the 2,3, and 4 to keep teams from packing it in against us.

jdelta02
09-06-2019, 02:41 PM
Chuck Evans- pure point guard, could flat out dish the ball

Also, don't forget about Butch Pierre, he was another pure point guard. Doug Hartsfield was really good as well. Another was Al Perry (Reggie Perry's dad)

Detrick White was one of the toughest, most competitive .He came to Miss. State from Connors State, where he and Horatio Webster had been teammates.

Anyway, been hearing very good things about Iverson Molinar as well. Jon Rothstein spoke very highly of him this summer. Kinda reminds you of Timmy Bowers.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-06-2019, 03:41 PM

No not at all. But the best we've ever had before he plays a minute of a game?

Captain Falcon
09-06-2019, 04:31 PM
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Trivante Bloodman yet***

CadaverDawg
09-06-2019, 07:18 PM
The reason people get angry when good things are said, is because they're like me and have fallen for the hype train too many times before, and are in "believe it when I see it" mode now. It's fair considering how many times we've heard stuff like that.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-06-2019, 08:17 PM
The reason people get angry when good things are said, is because they're like me and have fallen for the hype train too many times before, and are in "believe it when I see it" mode now. It's fair considering how many times we've heard stuff like that.

Yea but this also a team in the last 2 years who've won 50+ games. Made a NIT semifinal & a NCAA tourney appearance. This same team is projected to make the tourney again this year. What more believing do fans need to see? It's a rhetorical question.

tcdog70
09-06-2019, 08:44 PM
Detrick White also played QB at Durant where they went undefeated. His Dad wasOle Miss's Buford McGee he was a very good PG. Chuckie Chuckie Evans was the best PG we have had.

99jc
09-06-2019, 08:48 PM
Detrick White also played QB at Durant where they went undefeated. His Dad wasOle Miss's Buford McGee he was a very good PG. Chuckie Chuckie Evans was the best PG we have had.

I played against Buford in high school he was damn good at basketball as well as football. He looked like Doctor J clone. if I remember right he averaged 35 points a game. just a natural athlete was great at baseball also.

Dawg61
09-06-2019, 10:29 PM
Zimmerman was a great player and a phenomenal athlete but he ain't a top 10 all-time MSU PG. His legend grows year by year.

MCsMGs
09-06-2019, 11:24 PM
Yea but this also a team in the last 2 years who've won 50+ games. Made a NIT semifinal & a NCAA tourney appearance. This same team is projected to make the tourney again this year. What more believing do fans need to see? It's a rhetorical question.

They obviously won't be happy until they create a self-fulfilling prophecy so they can pound their chests(or keyboards) and say "I told you we suck!". It's gotten to the point that someone could write their thesis based on a study of the psychology of these so-called fans. What's the irony in that many of these same people will call out players with crappy attitudes for being cancerous to a team, but can't recognize the same behavior in the mirror.

Homedawg
09-06-2019, 11:43 PM
Zimmerman was a great player and a phenomenal athlete but he ain't a top 10 all-time MSU PG. His legend grows year by year.

This is true!!! Fact.

smootness
09-07-2019, 07:16 AM

Give me 10 better.

mparkerfd20
09-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think all of y'all have completely misread the quote from MRA coach. He's saying Molinar is the best ever out of their program. Out of MRA, not best PG ever at State. Geesh!

Madisonmd
09-07-2019, 07:57 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think all of y'all have completely misread the quote from MRA coach. He's saying Molinar is the best ever out of their program. Out of MRA, not best PG ever at State. Geesh!

Molinar did not go to MRA!

Madisonmd
09-07-2019, 08:00 AM
Better remember we will not have Nick for 10+ games. Going to need Molinar to give us minutes at point. Coaches are talking about Carter to start there and Molinar off the bench. Stewart is being considered at 2. His athleticism is outstanding if we can get his offense up to speed. Word is Feazell has made huge strides in offseason now that he is healthy.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-07-2019, 08:41 AM
His name is Richard Duease. Richard is the third winningest active high school boys basketball coach in the nation. Molinar didn't play at MRA. I think he's from Panama and played in California.

tcdog70
09-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Give me 10 better.

Maybe not ten
.1 Jim Ashhmore
2. TJ Honerae
3. Dee Bost.
.4 Jamont Gordon.
5. al Perry.
6. Butch Pierre
7 Detrick White
8. Marcus Bullard

And the best Chuckie Evans

HoopsDawg
09-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Better remember we will not have Nick for 10+ games. Going to need Molinar to give us minutes at point. Coaches are talking about Carter to start there and Molinar off the bench. Stewart is being considered at 2. His athleticism is outstanding if we can get his offense up to speed. Word is Feazell has made huge strides in offseason now that he is healthy.

I don't love Carter at the point, and I don't love Stewart at the 2. I expect Molinar to start at PG until Nick gets back.

MedDawg
09-07-2019, 11:22 AM

Zimmerman at MSU
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_men%27s_basketball_stat istical_leaders

#2 in career assists
#3 most assists in one season

#2 in career steals
#3 most steals in one season

We know he could drive to the basket and score.

NBA 2nd round pick (#40 overall by Warriors)

= He is most definitely among MSU Top 10 point guards.

Coach34
09-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Zimmerman at MSU
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_men%27s_basketball_stat istical_leaders

#2 in career assists
#3 most assists in one season

#2 in career steals
#3 most steals in one season

We know he could drive to the basket and score.

NBA 2nd round pick (#40 overall by Warriors)

= He is most definitely among MSU Top 10 point guards.

Chucky's numbers were just sick. Zimm only had 60 more assists while playing 2 more years than Chucky. Chucky has 5 of the top 11 assist games in school history. It just wasnt unusual for him to have 8 assists in a game- it was a norm. Erick Stevens probably cost him another 35 assists by himself his hands were so bad

MedDawg
09-07-2019, 12:58 PM
Chucky's numbers were just sick. Zimm only had 60 more assists while playing 2 more years than Chucky. Chucky has 5 of the top 11 assist games in school history. It just wasnt unusual for him to have 8 assists in a game- it was a norm. Erick Stevens probably cost him another 35 assists by himself his hands were so bad

I agree.

tcdog70
09-07-2019, 01:07 PM
If Chuckie played on Zimm's team He would have had 14 assists agame average. The problem with Zimmerman. Was he couldn't shoot

smootness
09-09-2019, 04:18 PM

No one was arguing Zimmerman is the best PG we've ever had. But not top 10? Please.

R2Dawg
09-09-2019, 08:39 PM

Nah, I say Zimmerman was top 5. He could break things down and do things from the point that no one else could do. His D at the point was best ever; people forget about that end. He also rebounded like a forward. Yes he wasn't a great shooter but he made up for it in other ways. I don't think I could name 10 better.

Johnson85
09-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Maybe not ten
.1 Jim Ashhmore
2. TJ Honerae
3. Dee Bost.
.4 Jamont Gordon.
5. al Perry.
6. Butch Pierre
7 Detrick White
8. Marcus Bullard

And the best Chuckie Evans

I'll give you Bullard if you just go with talent and ignore longevity or lack thereof. Don't know about Ashhmore, Perry, or Pierre. But Zimmerman was better than Bost. He was a better scorer but worse at pretty much everything else, particularly leadership. Honore and Detrick White were early enough in my fandom that I don't know if I just don't remember them as well, but I don't remember them making the impression Zimmerman did.

tcdog70
09-10-2019, 11:30 AM
I'll give you Bullard if you just go with talent and ignore longevity or lack thereof. Don't know about Ashhmore, Perry, or Pierre. But Zimmerman was better than Bost. He was a better scorer but worse at pretty much everything else, particularly leadership. Honore and Detrick White were early enough in my fandom that I don't know if I just don't remember them as well, but I don't remember them making the impression Zimmerman did.

fyi-Ashmore was out 1st 1000 point scorer. He was an All-American and score 45 points in a game. I would have to disagree Bost was better than Zimm.

010-11 Junior--Dee Bost

- Named team captain and sat out the NCAA-mandated first 14 games.

- Tabbed second-team All-SEC by league coaches and honorable-mention by the Associated Press.

- Second on team with 15.3 scoring clip and first with 106 assists.

- Posted two double-doubles (14 points & 10 assists at Tennessee; 16 points & 11 assists vs. Vanderbilt in SECT) to give him four for his career. The 11 assists tied his career high.

- 65 assists shy of breaking the school record of 514 currently held by Derrick Zimmerman.

- Scored season-high 25 points at Ole Miss.

- In SEC games only, led the league with 106 assists (5.9).

- Became the 33rd player in school history to score 1,000-career points and currently ranks 28th with 1,120 points.

- Scored in double-digits 12 times and totaled 20-plus points four times.

- Has made an assist in 74-straight games and in 88 of the 89 games he's played.

- Has started all 89 games he's appeared in.

Zimm--For the Mississippi State Bulldogs, he averaged 8.9 points, 5.5 assists, 4.2 rebounds, 1.9 steals and 0.8 blocks. He shot 15 of 52 three-pointers as a senior and 64.9% on free throws.

jdelta02
09-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Jamont Gordon