PDA

View Full Version : Playing Time This Week

confucius say
09-05-2019, 03:39 PM
With the heat, and assuming still no autry, I?m thinking this may be 1 of the 4 games we use Pickering (assuming we want to redshirt him). Thoughts?

Cooterpoot
09-05-2019, 04:00 PM
Jo already said this week was a “let them play” week.

Todd4State
09-05-2019, 09:41 PM
Based on how they are talking in press conferences I think we'll see more or at least different substitution patterns across the board. Depending on our o-line injuries somewhat.

Based on what I saw at the Superdome, I'd actually like to see DeMonte Russell more than Pickering. I thought Lovett, Crumedy, and Jackson held their own Saturday. Plus we get Lee Autry back some. The DE's and the pass rush looked like they could have used some help- and I think that may be where Russell could help us on passing downs some.

I think we'll see Gibson get some more carries and Kylin get fewer but still get the lion's share.

vv83
09-05-2019, 09:45 PM
Based on how they are talking in press conferences I think we'll see more or at least different substitution patterns across the board. Depending on our o-line injuries somewhat.

Based on what I saw at the Superdome, I'd actually like to see DeMonte Russell more than Pickering. I thought Lovett, Crumedy, and Jackson held their own Saturday. Plus we get Lee Autry back some. The DE's and the pass rush looked like they could have used some help- and I think that may be where Russell could help us on passing downs some.

I think we'll see Gibson get some more carries and Kylin get fewer but still get the lion's share.
Why is Autry playing this week? Shouldn’t we save his 4 for SEC games?

confucius say
09-05-2019, 09:52 PM
I don?t think autry will play this week. And don?t think that is what Todd meant.

I would think we also may see some Witherspoon

Todd4State
09-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Why is Autry playing this week? Shouldn’t we save his 4 for SEC games?

I meant we'll get Autry back at some point. Which to me would lessen the need to play Pickering as much. I'm not sure exactly when we'll play Autry but I would definitely use him in SEC games.

Maroonthirteen
09-06-2019, 09:32 AM
I assume let em play refers to true freshmen rather than those suspended. Let them play tomorrow for depth and one of the 4 games not counting against their eligibility.

Suspended players.... bring them back for aTm and the remainder of the schedule except ACU.

confucius say
09-06-2019, 09:53 AM
I assume let em play refers to true freshmen rather than those suspended. Let them play tomorrow for depth and one of the 4 games not counting against their eligibility.

Suspended players.... bring them back for aTm and the remainder of the schedule except ACU.

From a practical standpoint, I wonder if we will use the two bye weeks as part of our strategy as to when we play the suspended guys. Can get them reps with the ones during the bye week and more up to speed physically. Just a thought.

Johnson85
09-06-2019, 09:58 AM

You would hope so. I think the way we used Hill against ULL was a coaching fail. Basically no one will be able to handle that abuse through an SEC schedule. We're increasing the chance that Hill doesn't make it through the season healthy while also depriving his backup of reps so that he will be better if and when he is needed. Plus I think for recruiting purposes, we need to be able to tell recruits that they will get touches as a #2. Using Hill like that basically turns the RB position into another QB position, where you have to think about transferring if it's not clear you're going to be #1 by your Junior year.

thf24
09-06-2019, 10:07 AM
You would hope so. I think the way we used Hill against ULL was a coaching fail. Basically no one will be able to handle that abuse through an SEC schedule. We're increasing the chance that Hill doesn't make it through the season healthy while also depriving his backup of reps so that he will be better if and when he is needed. Plus I think for recruiting purposes, we need to be able to tell recruits that they will get touches as a #2. Using Hill like that basically turns the RB position into another QB position, where you have to think about transferring if it's not clear you're going to be #1 by your Junior year.

I believe Moorhead mentioned in his presser earlier in the week that that many carries for Hill was a mistake and Gibson would get more going forward.

Doggie_Style
09-06-2019, 10:11 AM

I think I would play the suspended players starting with the Auburn game. So Auburn, bye, Tenn., LSU, TAMU.....if we can win two of those we are in business. I may change my mind depending on how we look in the next couple of games.

Lord McBuckethead
09-06-2019, 11:14 AM
I agree. No use saving them for Bama or UM.

R2Dawg
09-06-2019, 01:39 PM
I'd like to see Pickering and Cross this week. Also D. Russell at DE be good to see.

Scared_Hitless
09-06-2019, 01:41 PM
I'd like to see Pickering and Cross this week. Also D. Russell at DE be good to see.

If our OLine situation stays pact we will probably see Cross get some series we are going to need bodies in this heat. We already have 3 injuries on the two deep.

Homedawg
09-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Cross is going to be really good. But he's undersized at this point. Hopefully we get some guys back and he can get 4 games and a red shirt. As for Pickering, he's going to play I'm sure before he year is out. But he's not ready.

confucius say
09-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Cross is going to be really good. But he's undersized at this point. Hopefully we get some guys back and he can get 4 games and a red shirt. As for Pickering, he's going to play I'm sure before he year is out. But he's not ready.

Not ready mentally or physically? If the latter, a strength issue or out of shape issue?

Homedawg
09-06-2019, 03:18 PM
Not ready mentally or physically? If the latter, a strength issue or out of shape issue?

Both. He came in out of shape. That, knowing what to do, and technique all wrapped in one