PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Knott

Fader21
09-04-2019, 08:09 PM
No longer on Alabama's team, due to being medically disqualified. Never heard of this.

TUSK
09-04-2019, 08:16 PM
No longer on Alabama's team, due to being medically disqualified. Never heard of this.

I read hadn’t practiced since spring & has a health issue that won’t allow him to football.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Tua sprains an ankle: the Bama medical staff gives him cutting edge treatment and he plays the next Saturday.

cornerback buried on depth chart who is a bust sprains an ankle: the Bama medical staff declares him not fit to play ever again, and his scholarship is freed up for another player.

Injuries can be funny. Huge loss for Bama***

BeardoMSU
09-04-2019, 08:22 PM
Tua sprains an ankle: the Bama medical staff gives him cutting edge treatment and he plays the next Saturday.

cornerback buried on depth chart who is a bust sprains an ankle: the Bama medical staff declares him not fit to play ever again, and his scholarship is freed up for another player.

That's ****ing depressing reading it that way...

TUSK
09-04-2019, 08:31 PM

I’ll trade em for Mini Pack Tickets.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-04-2019, 08:32 PM

I can assure you that Saban has taken some underperforming players and processed them medically to free up a scholarship. He's the King at doing it. He's a helluva coach, he's won a gazillion games, but he's ruthless.

Cooterpoot
09-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Who cares really? Knot was never very good.

defiantdog
09-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Is this still based off his knee injury last year?

GeorgeKaplan
09-04-2019, 08:42 PM

Bama gonna bama.

They do they same in late recruiting, too.

Speaking of...thanks for Abram, Tusk. Would have done well against Clemson yeah.

BeardoMSU
09-04-2019, 08:52 PM

Well, to be fair even guys like Slay have to be given the opportunity, and sometimes aren't who they eventually become at the start. Knot was pretty much buried behind 5* DBs since he got there.

Jack Lambert
09-04-2019, 09:00 PM

Saban has always been accused of putting guy on medical scholarship to free up spots. Here is an old article.

https://www.al.com/sports/2010/09/saban_defends_alabamas_use_of.html

BeardoMSU
09-04-2019, 09:02 PM
Saban has always been accused of putting guy on medical scholarship to free up spots.

I'll be sitting on the edge of my chair waiting on the CL article ripping him for this barbaric practice....

Cooterpoot
09-04-2019, 09:05 PM
Well, to be fair even guys like Slay have to be given the opportunity, and sometimes aren't who they eventually become at the start. Knot was pretty much buried behind 5* DBs since he got there.

He was a smallish athlete who was never a P5 kid.

Jack Lambert
09-04-2019, 09:07 PM
I'll be sitting on the edge of my chair waiting on the CL article ripping him for this barbaric practice....

I like the fact that the school can do this because a guy can really get hurt and does not have to lose his ride but it was funny (not funny way) that Bama did it more then every one else.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-04-2019, 09:15 PM

Which is exactly why his injury is more likely to be a career ending one.

BeardoMSU
09-04-2019, 09:17 PM
He was a smallish athlete who was never a P5 kid.

I don't know the kid, but I do remember people melting that signing day, and Knott, as a MS 4 star DB, had a lot to do with it.

Knott, coupled with that big DT and Lashley, it was quite the somber morning. I even got banned by a certain sensitive poster that day; that is until another poster overruled it an hour later.

Fun times.

Cooterpoot
09-04-2019, 09:28 PM
Yeah, they bought what the recruiting sites were selling. Sort of like this year when they were telling everyone how Payton was a stud, and then he barely played. Those sites sell excitement and it’s orchestrated in many cases.

TUSK
09-04-2019, 10:31 PM
I don't know the kid, but I do remember people melting that signing day, and Knott, as a MS 4 star DB, had a lot to do with it.

Knott, coupled with that big DT and Lashley, it was quite the somber morning. I even got banned by a certain sensitive poster that day; that is until another poster overruled it an hour later.

Fun times.

Heck, this should be good news for y'all, then...

(Provided Saban is "processing" a "healthy kid" that will be in the transfer portal...)

You're welcome?

GeorgeKaplan
09-04-2019, 11:39 PM

(Provided Saban is "processing" a "healthy kid" that will be in the transfer portal...)

You're welcome?

Man, it's almost like you don't need any referee help at all. Good for you!

Here's a tip: holding and block-in-the-back calls suck.

Johnson85
09-05-2019, 09:22 AM

You're welcome?

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I think him taking the "medical" processing is Knott deciding that he'd rather stay at Bama on scholarship than transfer and play somewhere else. I imagine if they didn't get the player's buy-in that they wanted to stay at Bama on scholarship rather than transfer, it would result in some embarrassing publicity when they entered the transfer portal afterwards. This probably confirms what alot of people claimed at the time, which was that Knott was a hell of an athlete but didn't love football or contact. I suspect if he loved football he'd be playing at a different school.

I wonder if he had grown up in a more populated area if he would have ended up playing something like soccer instead of football and liking it more.

BB30
09-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Yea, he would definitely be transferring if he felt like he could continue his career somewhere else. If the kid is staying at bama he probably has a reason for doing so, either he decided he was done playing and didn't want to do it anymore or he really had a pretty severe injury that just didn't heal up properly.

Homedawg
09-05-2019, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I think him taking the "medical" processing is Knott deciding that he'd rather stay at Bama on scholarship than transfer and play somewhere else. I imagine if they didn't get the player's buy-in that they wanted to stay at Bama on scholarship rather than transfer, it would result in some embarrassing publicity when they entered the transfer portal afterwards. This probably confirms what alot of people claimed at the time, which was that Knott was a hell of an athlete but didn't love football or contact. I suspect if he loved football he'd be playing at a different school.

I wonder if he had grown up in a more populated area if he would have ended up playing something like soccer instead of football and liking it more.

Maybe he's actually hurt. It happens.

TUSK
09-05-2019, 12:26 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BiK-E81CUAAhOt1.jpg

Apoplectic
09-05-2019, 12:36 PM
hmmmm saban slowly closing that wide gap on dabo. he just needs to start baptizing more sinners after practice to really make a difference

TUSK
09-05-2019, 12:41 PM
hmmmm saban slowly closing that wide gap on dabo. he just needs to start baptizing more sinners after practice to really make a difference

Nice.

We could all use a New Spring Church to give these 'cruits the heppin' they need....

Johnson85
09-05-2019, 12:52 PM

It happens, but how many career ending injuries have MSU players suffered in the last ten years? And career ending in "no longer fit to play college football", not career ending as in got injured in their last year of eligibility and weren't good enough to play past college?

I think without inside knowledge, the assumption with any medical processing at Bama should be that it's just a way to keep the kids on scholarship without them having to transfer (which I have no objection to), not an actual career ending injury.

TUSK
09-05-2019, 01:06 PM
It happens, but how many career ending injuries have MSU players suffered in the last ten years? And career ending in "no longer fit to play college football", not career ending as in got injured in their last year of eligibility and weren't good enough to play past college?

I think without inside knowledge, the assumption with any medical processing at Bama should be that it's just a way to keep the kids on scholarship without them having to transfer (which I have no objection to), not an actual career ending injury.

Yep... It allows the kid to stay in school (free) while opening up his scholarship for someone else... I guess it's better than not renewing his scholarship...

And if he really believes he can still play, the transfer portal is available...

GoDawgz
09-05-2019, 04:56 PM
Its sad, but its another wasted Mississippi kid that went out of state. I know its the kids choice to leave the state and go where they want to go, after all its still at this moment a free country......but I wonder what the list looks like with kids that actually have valuable playing time vs never see the field.
Wish him the best.

Schultzy
09-05-2019, 07:06 PM
I know recruiting highly rated players is important but this is why I don’t sweat it as long as we get our share of 3 & 4 star guys.

Who would’ve taken Teveze Calhoun over this guy?

Or Deion Calhoun over the high 3* Dandy Dozen OL everybody wanted that chose Auburn over us?

I’d still rather sign higher rated guys but it’s such a crapshoot.

SheltonChoked
09-06-2019, 11:05 AM
I can assure you that Saban has taken ALL underperforming players and processed them medically to free up a NCAA counted scholarship. He's the King at doing it. He's a helluva coach, he's won a gazillion games, but he's ruthless.

FIFY

This is THE way Saban "Processes out" players. They still can get a athletic Scholarship, but it doesn't count towards the 85....

NCAA Bylaw 15.5.1.3.1 ? Incapacitating Injury or Illness.If an incapacitating injury or illness occurs prior to a student-athlete's participation in athletically related activities and results in thestudent-athlete's inability to compete ever again, the student-athlete shall not be counted within the institution's maximum financial aidaward limitations for the current, as well as subsequent, academic years. However, if the incapacitating injury or illness occurs on orafter the student-athlete's participation in countable athletically related activities in the sport, the student-athlete shall be counted in theinstitution's maximum financial aid limitations for the current academic year but need not be counted in subsequent academic years.

It's shocking how many of Alabama's Processed out players, have severe career ending injuries...******************

SheltonChoked
09-06-2019, 11:09 AM

You're welcome?

Bama cannot let an athlete do that. If they do, the scholarship is counted back to the 85 limit. Retroactively.

If they take this, they are done.

NCAA Bylaw 15.5.1.3.2 ? Change in Circumstances.If circumstances change and the student-athlete subsequently practices or competes at the institution at which the incapacitating injuryor illness occurred, the student-athlete again shall become a counter, and the institution shall be required to count that financial aidunder the limitations of this bylaw in the sport in question during each academic year in which the financial aid was received.

TUSK
09-06-2019, 11:17 AM
Bama cannot let an athlete do that. If they do, the scholarship is counted back to the 85 limit. Retroactively.

If they take this, they are done.

This is correct, however, they don't have to take a medical, do they? Is the transfer portal not an option?

Also, how many is a "shocking number" of Medicals to give? I honestly don't know how many Bammer has handed out since Saban's first ~3 years when he was allegedly "culling" some of Shula's guys...

SheltonChoked
09-06-2019, 11:30 AM

You're welcome?

Saban still would have to give him a release to transfer, or he loses 2 years of eligibility. He is a red shirt JR. He only has 2 years of eligibility left.... no release means he can never play...

And Alabama has to count his scholarship towards it's 85...
Or

He could stay at Bama, on a non NCAA counted scholarship... And never play college football again....

Hell of a racket...

TUSK
09-06-2019, 11:36 AM
Saban still would have to give him a release to transfer, or he loses 2 years of eligibility. He is a red shirt JR. He only has 2 years of eligibility left.... no release means he can never play...

And Alabama has to count his scholarship towards it's 85...
Or

He could stay at Bama, on a non NCAA counted scholarship... And never play college football again....

Hell of a racket...

yup, it's unfortunate that this tactic isn't available everywhere...*

MaroonFlounder
09-06-2019, 08:47 PM
It sucks. I think he would have had a significant role at MSU.

Just like when the Bear brought 100 kids a year to T town to keep them away from opposing team's rosters (before the days of scholarship limitations), Bama football makes sure the competitive gap is a decisive advantage in their favor.

It is what it is.

Cooterpoot
09-06-2019, 08:56 PM
Its sad, but its another wasted Mississippi kid that went out of state. I know its the kids choice to leave the state and go where they want to go, after all its still at this moment a free country......but I wonder what the list looks like with kids that actually have valuable playing time vs never see the field.
Wish him the best.

I can’t think of one kid who went out of state and was a bust who would’ve helped us. Technically he wasn’t a bust though because he wasn’t that good anyway.

Homedawg
09-07-2019, 08:24 AM
I can’t think of one kid who went out of state and was a bust who would’ve helped us. Technically he wasn’t a bust though because he wasn’t that good anyway.

Why is it automatically assumed that if a kid is a bust at bama or wherever, that he would have helped us? I'm sure some would have had some role. But some wouldn't plate here either....

Cooterpoot
09-07-2019, 09:06 AM
It’s not assumed. The kid could cut back flips but he was never a great DB. He was also undersized. Lashley wouldn’t start for us either. He’d be depth. Terry Grant wouldn’t have helped us. Brennan wouldn’t. Those guys that don’t work out generally just aren’t that good.

Homedawg
09-07-2019, 09:12 AM
It’s not assumed. The kid could cut back flips but he was never a great DB. He was also undersized. Lashley wouldn’t start for us either. He’d be depth. Terry Grant wouldn’t have helped us. Brennan wouldn’t. Those guys that don’t work out generally just aren’t that good.
I was agreeing w you. Meaning most others assume that.

SheltonChoked
09-10-2019, 10:55 AM
yup, it's unfortunate that this tactic isn't available everywhere...*

Yeah, sucks that some programs care about players****

I'm sure the recruiting videos hsow all the 5 stars who never get to play anywhere due to "Injuries"****

SheltonChoked
09-10-2019, 11:02 AM
This is correct, however, they don't have to take a medical, do they? Is the transfer portal not an option?

Also, how many is a "shocking number" of Medicals to give? I honestly don't know how many Bammer has handed out since Saban's first ~3 years when he was allegedly "culling" some of Shula's guys...

More than anyone else does...

https://www.thewizofodds.com/the_wiz_of_odds/2010/09/alabamas-use-of-medical-hardships-is-questioned.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703384204575509901468451306

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/05/i-trusted-em-when-ncaa-schools-abandon-their-injured-athletes/275407/

Lord McBuckethead
09-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Lashley would be starting after 2 years in our system.

Cooterpoot
09-10-2019, 11:31 AM
Lashley would be starting after 2 years in our system.

He’d simply be depth.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-10-2019, 11:37 AM

It's a condition that develops when every year a fresh crop of mid 4 to 5 stat talent comes in and it buries you deeper on the depth chart.