PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Stevens factoid for the weekend

Coach007
09-04-2019, 10:33 AM
In Week 1, @HailStateFB
?s Tommy Stevens was the only QB in the SEC and one of just seven in the FBS that had:

? a 66+ completion percentage
? 200+ yards passing
? 2+ passing TD
? 1+ rushing TD

TrapGame
09-04-2019, 10:52 AM
In Week 1, @HailStateFB
?s Tommy Stevens was the only QB in the SEC and one of just seven in the FBS that had:

? 200+ yards passing
? 2+ passing TD
? 1+ rushing TD

Surely, Bo Nix was left off that list.***

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2019, 10:55 AM
Surely, Bo Nix was left off that list.***

Bo Nix is going to have a pretty good year because Auburn is good enough on both LOS that all they really need is a game manager. However, I've yet to identify a tool with him that would insinuate he's going to be a play maker.

He looks like a poorer passing version of Shea Patterson. He's just not that talented.

KentuckyDawg13
09-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Nix with a mind-blowing 41.9% completion percentage. *

Jack Lambert
09-04-2019, 11:01 AM

One pass changed the perception.

PMDawg
09-04-2019, 11:05 AM
One pass changed the perception.

And, honestly, it wasn't a great pass. It was a better catch. But, I understand a FR QB getting a win in their first start in that scenario is still a big deal, regardless.

RiverCityDawg
09-04-2019, 11:10 AM
Bo Nix is going to have a pretty good year because Auburn is good enough on both LOS that all they really need is a game manager. However, I've yet to identify a tool with him that would insinuate he's going to be a play maker.

He looks like a poorer passing version of Shea Patterson. He's just not that talented.

It's still to be be determined how good they are on the OL. The same guys weren't good last year and they struggled often against Oregon. Oregon might have a pretty good front, so we'll see. If Bo is consistently sub-50%, under 200 yards passing and throwing a couple balls to the other team they will not win more than 6. With that said, I expect him to get better as the season goes on, we just don't know how much that will be.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2019, 11:16 AM

He's not accurate. The delivery & feel he has of the football isn't in line with what normal accurate passers possess

Commercecomet24
09-04-2019, 11:25 AM
He's not accurate. The delivery & feel he has of the football isn't in line with what normal accurate passers possess

I'm not sold on him yet either but a lot of his accuracy issues stemmed from him having to run for his life most of the day. Oregon harrassed him a lot. I do agree the ball doesn't jump out of his hand, and has kind of an odd delivery. He's a pretty mobile and agile and runs well. He is just a freshman and it's a big jump from high school to sec. I think it's a wait and see on him. He's definitely not as polished as Fromm was a freshman.

defiantdog
09-04-2019, 11:33 AM

He had a run first mentality in high school..... He has never been asked to be a pocket passer.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2019, 11:34 AM
I'm not sold on him yet either but a lot of his accuracy issues stemmed from him having to run for his life most of the day. Oregon harrassed him a lot. I do agree the ball doesn't jump out of his hand, and has kind of an odd delivery. He's a pretty mobile and agile and runs well. He is just a freshman and it's a big jump from high school to sec. I think it's a wait and see on him. He's definitely not as polished as Fromm was a freshman.

He is just a freshman, but the way he throws the ball isn't likely to change much.

Dak got significantly better, but Dak was from Houghton, LA & grew up in a trailer. Bo Nix's dad was a D1 offensive coordinator & high school head coach. If he hasn't fixed these flaws by now, I have major doubts that they'll ever substantially improve.

Just incredible to me that he was rated how he was rated as a 98 5 star. Brutal evaluation that was based more on hype, pedigree, & story line than actual talent.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2019, 11:35 AM
He had a run first mentality in high school..... He has never been asked to be a pocket passer.

He broke the Alabama state record in passing yards.

He's the son of a former SEC QB & Georgia Tech OC. If there was ever a HS QB that should be polished & advanced, it's him. I just don't see a ton of excuses. Hell, his dad may be a better QB coach than Auburn's QB coach

defiantdog
09-04-2019, 11:42 AM
He broke the Alabama state record in passing yards.

He's the son of a former SEC QB & Georgia Tech OC. If there was ever a HS QB that should be polished & advanced, it's him. I just don't see a ton of excuses. Hell, his dad may be a better QB coach than Auburn's QB coach
I'm really not sold on Pinson's competition. Nick Gibson also had a 2,000 yard rushing season when he played there. Now Nix is talented as hell and will be a dynamic QB, but I don't see him consistently throwing it for 300+ yards a game.

thf24
09-04-2019, 11:42 AM

He'll have to swallow his ego and be a lot less aggressive to be a good game manager this year. At the risk of sounding like Kellenberger, he could have had at least 5 interceptions in game 1 if passes that hit Oregon players in both hands had been held on to.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Now Nix is talented as hell and will be a dynamic QB.

No he's not. This is the thing, he got a 98 5 star rating & is not "talented as hell" He's not.

starkvegasdawg
09-04-2019, 12:09 PM

Better start writing the script for his Heisman house commercials.

dawgs
09-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Yeah, nothing about nix in that game screamed that this was a kid that had "it", but was simply adjusting to P5 CFB competition. Auburn won that game despite him - really Oregon lost that game, all nix did was not **** it up at the end. Cristobal should be embarrassed by that game, made Mullen's game management look polished. Should've/could've easily been a 21+ point Oregon W.

Dawgfan77
09-04-2019, 12:23 PM
It's still to be be determined how good they are on the OL. The same guys weren't good last year and they struggled often against Oregon. Oregon might have a pretty good front, so we'll see. If Bo is consistently sub-50%, under 200 yards passing and throwing a couple balls to the other team they will not win more than 6. With that said, I expect him to get better as the season goes on, we just don't know how much that will be.

As long as JB Grimes is the OL coach at AU. I?m not concerned. He was Crooms OL coach here.

BrunswickDawg
09-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Has any QB gotten better under Gus since he became AU HC?

Commercecomet24
09-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Has any QB gotten better under Gus since he became AU HC?

This is a great point. No they haven't. I remember watching Cam with Jon Gruden when he was a rookie and Gruden was doing film study with him. He asked cam to just give him a play call or check they used at auburn and he couldn't come up with anything. Gruden asked him a couple of times and then just moved on. Thought that was telling about Gus offense and qb coaching.

Commercecomet24
09-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Yeah, nothing about nix in that game screamed that this was a kid that had "it", but was simply adjusting to P5 CFB competition. Auburn won that game despite him - really Oregon lost that game, all nix did was not **** it up at the end. Cristobal should be embarrassed by that game, made Mullen's game management look polished. Should've/could've easily been a 21+ point Oregon W.

Yeah Oregon could've put auburn away early and screwed it up repeatedly.

StarkVegasSteve
09-04-2019, 12:44 PM
No he's not. This is the thing, he got a 98 5 star rating & is not "talented as hell" He's not.

He is talented. He just played like a true freshman who was playing in front of 75,000 more people than he's ever played in front of. I think the thing that has gotten lost on people in the last two years is that every freshman is not going to play like Jake Fromm, Tua, or Trevor Lawrence from the jump. Those guys are generational athletes and QBs that were NFL ready from the time they stepped on campus. Hell Dak was and is extremely talented, but he was nowhere near ready to play as a true Freshman. Saying all that, go watch the last 5-6 minutes of that game. Nix made some great throws that most Freshman in his situation, especially after having the game he had up to that point, wouldn't have been able to make. The scramble on 4th down was an extremely heady play.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2019, 12:49 PM
He is talented. He just played like a true freshman who was playing in front of 75,000 more people than he's ever played in front of. I think the thing that has gotten lost on people in the last two years is that every freshman is not going to play like Jake Fromm, Tua, or Trevor Lawrence from the jump. Those guys are generational athletes and QBs that were NFL ready from the time they stepped on campus. Hell Dak was and is extremely talented, but he was nowhere near ready to play as a true Freshman. Saying all that, go watch the last 5-6 minutes of that game. Nix made some great throws that most Freshman in his situation, especially after having the game he had up to that point, wouldn't have been able to make. The scramble on 4th down was an extremely heady play.

Complete BS

dawgs
09-04-2019, 01:09 PM

There's plenty of space between tua/Lawrence/Fromm level and how nix played. I think questioning why he's not more ready given his advantageous background and whether he's likely to improve as much as a guys like dak is fair because he's already been given advantages that very few QBs prospects have, so you figure the room to grow is relatively limited compared to kids that didn't have all those advantages (not just family wealth advantages, but football advantages given his dad).

BB30
09-04-2019, 01:48 PM
He is just a freshman, but the way he throws the ball isn't likely to change much.

Dak got significantly better, but Dak was from Houghton, LA & grew up in a trailer. Bo Nix's dad was a D1 offensive coordinator & high school head coach. If he hasn't fixed these flaws by now, I have major doubts that they'll ever substantially improve.

Just incredible to me that he was rated how he was rated as a 98 5 star. Brutal evaluation that was based more on hype, pedigree, & story line than actual talent.

And your basing this off of one game? You may be right but I saw a kid that struggled early and found a way to win a football game against a pretty talented team. Many other teams including Auburn(Several with great reputations for evaluating/developing QBs) apparently thought differently about him than you do. Safe bet is to probably give it a few games and see how he progresses.

Jarius
09-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Complete BS

Nah....I went back and rewatched the Auburn game and Bo Nix played bad but it is very very very obvious to me that he is going to be good once he gets some starts under his belt. I have no clue how long it will take him and it may not even be this year, but I believe he will be good.

Ari Gold
09-04-2019, 04:15 PM
In Week 1, @HailStateFB

? 200+ yards passing
? 2+ passing TD
? 1+ rushing TD

Not sure how this got 2 pages of Is Bo Nix going to be a great QB..
so I will go back to the original post and keep it simple

Yes we have a very good QB and he and the WR will only get better as they get more game experience together

Y?all can get back to The Bo Debate now

TrapGame
09-04-2019, 04:20 PM
]Not sure how this got 2 pages of Is Bo Nix going to be a great QB..[/B]

Yes we have a very good QB and he and the WR will only get better as they get more game experience together

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3olKx0vzBV74pUsPnB/giphy.gif

TaleofTwoDogs
09-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Coach, change the title of this thread to "Bo Nix Factoid for the weekend" ** BTW, who's this Stevens guy?

Coach007
09-04-2019, 11:52 PM
Not sure how this got 2 pages of Is Bo Nix going to be a great QB..

Thank you.

Coach007
09-04-2019, 11:54 PM
Coach, change the title of this thread to "Bo Nix Factoid for the weekend" ** BTW, who's this Stevens guy?

He's a QB for a team that beat Auburn with a 5th year sr QB.....