PDA

View Full Version : Zeke signs.. now the highest paid RB in NFL

FriarsPoint
09-04-2019, 08:11 AM
I don't agree with this at all...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ezekiel-elliott-cowboys-highest-paid-running-back (https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ezekiel-elliott-cowboys-highest-paid-running-back)

BeardoMSU
09-04-2019, 08:15 AM
I wonder if there are any stipulations for off-season trouble....

Beyond that, if he stays healthy, and more importantly out of trouble, everyone knew he was going to reset the RB market.

Also, considering the Goff news yesterday, Dak is about to get paaaaaaaid.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2019, 08:16 AM
I don't understand NFL contracts at all.

They are all so manipulated to fit the salary cap that I can't ever get a good feel for if it's a good deal or bad deal

BeardoMSU
09-04-2019, 08:20 AM
I don't understand NFL contracts at all.

They are all so manipulated to fit the salary cap that I can't ever get a good feel for if it's a good deal or bad deal

It's also about how much guaranteed money, and the actually years where you're locked up. Even though it's a 6 year extension, that includes the next two years, which were already paying for (so it's only an additional 30 mil in guaranteed $), and the last 2 years will be team/player options. It's actually a pretty good situation for all involved.

Tbonewannabe
09-04-2019, 08:30 AM
Honestly, which would you rather have Zeke or Jarvis Landry? Zeke is cheaper with this deal. This will be his last big contract and the Cowboys essentially have him locked up to the point where he will start to decline. It is a risk paying a RB because of injury but he is extremely valuable to the offense.

Scared_Hitless
09-04-2019, 08:30 AM
They are front loading the contract while they are not paying Dak. It will be a reasonably team friendly deal over the next few years. Dak and Coop are the only items left to fit under the cap.

BeardoMSU
09-04-2019, 08:38 AM
They are front loading the contract while they are not paying Dak. It will be a reasonably team friendly deal over the next few years. Dak and Coop are the only items left to fit under the cap.

I bet Dak has his contract done before Sunday. Just a feeling.

Tbonewannabe
09-04-2019, 08:49 AM
I bet Dak has his contract done before Sunday. Just a feeling.

Goff just got a bigger contract than Wentz last night. I don't think there is anyone else that will push the number higher now.

Lord McBuckethead
09-04-2019, 09:01 AM
The cowboys should have restructured Daks deal last season. They probably would have saved a ton of money and forced all the other teams to pay more.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Goff just got a bigger contract than Wentz last night. I don't think there is anyone else that will push the number higher now.

Dak about to become the highest paid player in the league.

Tbonewannabe
09-04-2019, 10:11 AM
The cowboys should have restructured Daks deal last season. They probably would have saved a ton of money and forced all the other teams to pay more.

That was a huge screw up by the Cowboys. They probably should have done it before they got Cooper.

fishwater99
09-04-2019, 10:16 AM
Dak about to become the highest paid player in the league.

Let's hope he gets a contract done before their first game, or it might not happen until next off season.

sleepy dawg
09-04-2019, 12:37 PM
What do you mean you don't agree with it? In what regard?

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-04-2019, 03:17 PM
What do you mean you don't agree with it? In what regard?

RB's are easy to evaluate pre-draft and there's very little learning curve at that position, so he'd be able to play decently immediately. Moreover, the best RB compared to a mediocre one doesn't make nearly the difference in overall team performance as the best player at other positions does, because RB performance is so dependent on a decent OL and passing game to give him room in the first place. Moreover, RB's are very injury prone and it's not a position that ages well.

Paying big $$$ for a medium improvement in on field play while also putting yourself at big risk of an injury killing your team seems stupid to me, I agree with Friar. Yes Zeke will get you more yards than a normal RB, but that millions of increased pay simply doesn't make as big of a yardage difference as say, a good DT you can get for the same difference in money. All in my opinion of course

DancingRabbit
09-04-2019, 04:42 PM

Not sure, but I don't think they could actually do it until the end of the season per contract rules. They could have been talking though.

Dak's got these mega-agents who may have wanted to slow-roll the process, but Jerry should have been trying hard to wrap it up in early February.

Maroonthirteen
09-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Let's hope he gets a contract done before their first game, or it might not happen until next off season.

Maybe it’s my MSU PTSD.... but why do I have a feeling Jerry is taking advantage of Dak’s patience and will do just that.

Hambone
09-04-2019, 05:48 PM
You can’t pay Dak more than Goff. You just can’t.

BeardoMSU
09-04-2019, 05:52 PM

Why not? The Cowboys have a ton of cap space opening up next year, plus the league cap will be going up in a couple years anyway. They can make it work. Dak would only be the highest paid QB for a year or so, then Mahomes will reset it again. Just the way it is.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-04-2019, 06:20 PM

Dak:
10876 yards
67 touchdowns
25 interceptions
96.0 rating
944 rushing yards
18 rushing touchdowns
66.1 completion percentage

Goff:
9571 yards
65 touchdowns
26 interceptions
94.7 rating
175 rushing yards
4 rushing touchdowns
62.1 completion percentage

And Goff had a QB friendly coach and offense. Why can't Dak make more than Goff?

Hambone
09-04-2019, 06:34 PM
Dak:
10876 yards
67 touchdowns
25 interceptions
96.0 rating
944 rushing yards
18 rushing touchdowns
66.1 completion percentage

Goff:
9571 yards
65 touchdowns
26 interceptions
94.7 rating
175 rushing yards
4 rushing touchdowns
62.1 completion percentage

And Goff had a QB friendly coach and offense. Why can't Dak make more than Goff?

I stand corrected, pay this man his money!

I was basing it on Goff making it the SB

MaroonBelle
09-04-2019, 07:04 PM
RB's are easy to evaluate pre-draft and there's very little learning curve at that position, so he'd be able to play decently immediately. Moreover, the best RB compared to a mediocre one doesn't make nearly the difference in overall team performance as the best player at other positions does, because RB performance is so dependent on a decent OL and passing game to give him room in the first place. Moreover, RB's are very injury prone and it's not a position that ages well.

Paying big $$$ for a medium improvement in on field play while also putting yourself at big risk of an injury killing your team seems stupid to me, I agree with Friar. Yes Zeke will get you more yards than a normal RB, but that millions of increased pay simply doesn't make as big of a yardage difference as say, a good DT you can get for the same difference in money. All in my opinion of course

Cowboys could have figured this out last year. They should have started transition from a run heavy to a passing team last year so they could really evaluate Dak. They are going to have to pay him big money because of the QB position anyway, go ahead and start it a year early and start to faze the rb out. Then Zeke has less leverage and no dumb fans are pissed when you have to pay the QB the going rate for a franchise QB. INSTEAD, they started the year with the lousiest WR corps in the entire NFL (I think because they mistakenly thought the RB was gonna win them games, which he didn't and couldn't). Add ONE good WR to the mix for Dak to throw to and he finishes the last 9 games with a something around a 72% completion percentage and a bunch of other stats that extrapolated over a season would have him solidly in the top 7 QBs and they go on a 7-1 win streak despite an OC who won't let him pass, has an offense that is so predictable it could be called from the couch and values ball control football over everything. Also, he outperformed Goff over those last games of the season including the playoff game. The Cowboys FO started screwing up last season and set themselves up for all this contract drama.

Tbonewannabe
09-04-2019, 07:44 PM
I stand corrected, pay this man his money!

I was basing it on Goff making it the SB

Aaron Donald and that defense had a lot to do with getting to the Super Bowl. People talk about Dallas having an improved defense but somehow ignore that Goff and Wentz are on teams with better defenses.

BeardoMSU
09-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Aaron Donald and that defense had a lot to do with getting to the Super Bowl.

Insert Eli Manning .gif....twice.**