PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Attendance

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2019, 01:25 PM
So our athletic department is asking fans to attend a 2:30 game in 100 degree heat Saturday in a stadium that has very little shade.

And we wonder why attendance is down.

Why not renovate DWS and add some shade like an English Premier League stadium?

We've talked about this often.

Just pointing out how utterly ridiculous it is.

Captain Falcon
09-03-2019, 01:28 PM
You realize we have no say in the game time, right?

WinningIsRelentless
09-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Shotgun why don?t you just cut that $75,000,000 dollar check and I?m sure they will make it happen.

gtowndawg
09-03-2019, 01:30 PM
It's going to be brutal, no doubt.

Pinto
09-03-2019, 01:33 PM

https://pics.me.me/forget-it-hes-rolling-makeameme-org-forget-it-hes-rolling-53243102.png

KentuckyDawg13
09-03-2019, 01:33 PM
We have some weak fans if they are truly unable to attend to due to temperatures.

Maroonthirteen
09-03-2019, 01:38 PM
We have some weak fans if they are truly unable to attend to due to temperatures.

I figure the heat will squash our attendance this weekend. But... Most ticket sale ads on Facebook have an interested party. Also I see a few post looking for tickets.

I have two in the east upper. We will roast but I?ll take full advantage of that east upper concourse.

msu15
09-03-2019, 01:39 PM
Me and my 3 will be there.

MaroonBelle
09-03-2019, 01:46 PM
So our athletic department is asking fans to attend a 2:30 game in 100 degree heat Saturday in a stadium that has very little shade.

I can't confirm this from another source, and take it for what it's worth, but we have a new employee in our dept. at State, she went on a campus tour for new staff a few weeks ago and as they were going to look at DWS the tour guide (she said she thinks he was from office of controller, ie the money dept) told them that a "roof" was in the planning stages for DWS.

Also, my fam will have 13 at the game and only 2 will be Southern fans. I plan to drink lots of water, wear white, and pile on the sunscreen. We are tailgating for 2 hours before too.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Shotgun why don?t you just cut that $75,000,000 dollar check and I?m sure they will make it happen.

With the CBS contract coming up soon, we've got plenty of money. Lame excuse

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2019, 01:58 PM

You can't really believe this.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2019, 02:00 PM
I can't confirm this from another source, and take it for what it's worth, but we have a new employee in our dept. at State, she went on a campus tour for new staff a few weeks ago and as they were going to look at DWS the tour guide (she said she thinks he was from office of controller, ie the money dept) told them that a "roof" was in the planning stages for DWS.

Also, my fam will have 13 at the game and only 2 will be Southern fans. I plan to drink lots of water, wear white, and pile on the sunscreen. We are tailgating for 2 hours before too.

It's incredibly logical.

I don't think we need a "roof" but covered seating seems obvious.

Heck, new Dudy Noble has covering at the top.

Maroonthirteen
09-03-2019, 02:05 PM
We need cover on our east and west upper similar to Bryant Denny. Except extend the roof out further.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2019, 02:07 PM
We need cover on our east and west upper similar to Bryant Denny. Except extend the roof out further.

Just like Washington. I'd like to see something in the end zones as well.

https://wholeu.uw.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/husky-stadium.jpeg

sleepy dawg
09-03-2019, 02:28 PM

We have a lot of folks who have all kinds of reasons and excuses not to attend. The heat in a game like this is probably the most reasonable one. This is the one most likely to kill you or at least cause you some legit problems.

Jack Lambert
09-03-2019, 02:30 PM
I figure the heat will squash our attendance this weekend. But... Most ticket sale ads on Facebook have an interested party. Also I see a few post looking for tickets.

I have two in the east upper. We will roast but I?ll take full advantage of that east upper concourse.

I have to go out of town but my two tickets in section four were given away in two minutes after learning the news. I think there will be more then we think at the game.

Doggie_Style
09-03-2019, 03:31 PM
We have a lot of folks who have all kinds of reasons and excuses not to attend. The heat in a game like this is probably the most reasonable one. This is the one most likely to kill you or at least cause you some legit problems.

I live out of state so it is a chore and expensive to get to a game. That being said, the thought of frying while sitting on the East Side where my tickets are isn't attractive to me. If I lived in Starkville I would go but there is no way I would take my 85 yo dad with me in that heat. I did enjoy the A/C inside the dome last weekend! I will be in Starkville for Kentucky though.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2019, 03:33 PM

You do realize that over half of our games are played on weekends that could be 95+ every single year? regardless of the time, chances are you will play at 11 or 2:30 for most of those considering when our non-conference games happen in our schedule.

Scared_Hitless
09-03-2019, 03:38 PM
We will draw 50k or more which is respectable given the weather. I imagine you will have a good portion of USM's 11 fans there as well.

AROB44
09-03-2019, 03:41 PM

You've spent that money several times. You can only spend a dollar once....not multiple times.

AROB44
09-03-2019, 03:43 PM
For what it's worth.....my seats are never in the sun.

gravedigger
09-03-2019, 03:44 PM

They are asking you to insomuch as the conference signed a TV contract for mega $$ that dictates what time the game is. That money has also given us a bit more parity than 30 years ago, so I think we are just going to have to live with it.

ScoobaDawg
09-03-2019, 03:54 PM

Ughhhh no we don't.. so do you want us to spend $75 million as you say .. to make the stadium cool.. for a game which you aren't ever going to anyways..
or hire more analysts. upgrade facilities for football, basketball, baseball...and everything else. .. and try to be competitive with the conference and close the gap..
Ya know.. the other thing you complain about.. Non-freaking---stop...

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2019, 03:55 PM
You've spent that money several times. You can only spend a dollar once....not multiple times.

I actually keep spending it on the same thing.

ScoobaDawg
09-03-2019, 03:56 PM

A less than stellar season last year hurts ticket sales this year. Plus people expect us to win this game. When people don't expect a close game (not saying it won't be) they are less interested. Not to mention the normal decline of fan's anyways with the tv option.

Shotgun, do you want that? More fans to come to games... let's give up the sec contract and not broadcast games so people have to come.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2019, 03:56 PM
They are asking you to insomuch as the conference signed a TV contract for mega $$ that dictates what time the game is. That money has also given us a bit more parity than 30 years ago, so I think we are just going to have to live with it.

I don’t have an issue with the game time. Just the stadium

ScoobaDawg
09-03-2019, 04:01 PM

https://allhailtheblackmarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/beating-a-dead-horse-.jpg

wild_dawg
09-03-2019, 04:09 PM
Me, my family, and all of my friends are attending and tailgating before. I imagine we will have 50-55K. Which isn't bad considering the heat. The humidity will be at 52% which is on the low side so it'll be a drier heat (someone correct me if im wrong but I think thats right).

drunkernhelldawg
09-03-2019, 04:12 PM

I wouldn't go for any reason but to have a good time. Comfort is part of that.

drunkernhelldawg
09-03-2019, 04:17 PM
A less than stellar season last year hurts ticket sales this year. Plus people expect us to win this game. When people don't expect a close game (not saying it won't be) they are less interested. Not to mention the normal decline of fan's anyways with the tv option.

Shotgun, do you want that? More fans to come to games... let's give up the sec contract and not broadcast games so people have to come.

I know. It's like losing a football weekend when your game is non-competitive. I wish we'd stop playing these throwaway games although I realize the many reasons that we do it. Attendance for the game last week was under 23000. It's just as easy for most State fans to get to NO as it is to get to Starkville. Yet the game did not interest many fans.

As far as the broadcast situation, the future might have to look at ppv or even not televising every game. The fact that he game is on my box is a big reason to not leave the house.

Liverpooldawg
09-03-2019, 04:44 PM

Do you ever go to a game?

Liverpooldawg
09-03-2019, 04:45 PM

Why? You never go.

MaroonFlounder
09-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Why? You never go.

It's really odd that many of the folks that bitch about game attendance are the ones that never go to games.

deadheaddawg
09-03-2019, 05:35 PM

I've read several times before you don't go to games? If so, why do you care? Seems like you just want to start a complaining thread.

It's like listening to a live concert in CD and complaining about the venue. It is pointless

LC Dawg
09-03-2019, 05:40 PM
I would guess that covered seating would increase this week's attendance around 10% and most of those seats are already sold so where is the net gain. Also, unless you're an infant or senior citizen or you have a health issue it's not that big of a deal. Wear a hat, use plenty of sunscreen, and hydrate. People pay thousands to go to the beach and fry in the sun.

Maroonthirteen
09-03-2019, 05:52 PM
I would guess that covered seating would increase this week's attendance around 10% and most of those seats are already sold so where is the net gain. Also, unless you're an infant or senior citizen or you have a health issue it's not that big of a deal. Wear a hat, use plenty of sunscreen, and hydrate. People pay thousands to go to the beach and fry in the sun.

Actually that’s a good point.

Now if MSU would just put the water a few feet off my seats and not hassle me about my cooler of refreshments, that would be a perfect comparison.

ScottH
09-03-2019, 05:53 PM
Just like Washington. I'd like to see something in the end zones as well.

https://wholeu.uw.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/husky-stadium.jpeg

Been to a game there. It works well and looks cool in person

Granted they don't deal with our heat but their weather can be crappy.

Oregon State's is similar I recall.

RocketDawg
09-03-2019, 06:29 PM
Me, my family, and all of my friends are attending and tailgating before. I imagine we will have 50-55K. Which isn't bad considering the heat. The humidity will be at 52% which is on the low side so it'll be a drier heat (someone correct me if im wrong but I think thats right).

It's lower than some mid-summer days, but still not all that "dry". 96 degrees at 52% relative humidity yields a dewpoint of about 75 degrees --- in the miserable category. And if you're sitting in the direct sun, that makes it immensely more uncomfortable. Dewpoint needs to be 60 or below to really feel good.

starkvegasdawg
09-03-2019, 06:34 PM

17ing stupid comment. Heat kills. I've seen people passing out in the heat in games like this. There shouldn't be day games in September in the Deep South. Let Michigan play the day games in September.

LC Dawg
09-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Actually that’s a good point.

Now if MSU would just put the water a few feet off my seats and not hassle me about my cooler of refreshments, that would be a perfect comparison.

But there are no sharks at Davis Wade. Except for the Egg Bowl and they're only babies.

Mjoelner34
09-03-2019, 06:53 PM
I always think of days like this coming Saturday when I'm sitting out in the LFL for a mid-week game in February and wish they could push both football season and baseball season back 1 month.