PDA

View Full Version : With KT back, now we can have a backup QB every game without burning redshirts

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Since Mayden is out 8 games, we can mix and match QBs to keep their redshirt. We already have one game that we didn't play KT or Schrader so we have 12 games (with a bowl game) to have one backup QB in every game.

So do you let KT just be the active QB in any emergency situation like Tommy getting injured or do you designate him for Bama, LSU, Auburn, A&M? I guess it also depends on if you think Shrader can finish games out or compete. I would think Shrader needs to be the guy for Abiline Christian but other than that you have KT on standby unless it is a 4th quarter blow out.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-03-2019, 10:18 AM
KT should be available every game. If he's not it make no sense to bring him back.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2019, 10:22 AM
KT should be available every game. If he's not it make no sense to bring him back.

I would think KT will be ready to go at any time but I was more talking about a game where we just want to pull Tommy out in the 4th quarter or if it is one play where his helmet comes off. It would be best for KT to keep his redshirt if possible. Or do you approach it as he is 2nd string so he goes in automatically if Tommy comes out?

ScoobaDawg
09-03-2019, 10:28 AM
I would think KT will be ready to go at any time but I was more talking about a game where we just want to pull Tommy out in the 4th quarter or if it is one play where his helmet comes off. It would be best for KT to keep his redshirt if possible. Or do you approach it as he is 2nd string so he goes in automatically if Tommy comes out?

Things we likely won't know unless KT talks or the situation occurs.. such as his helmet popping off... until the end of the season.

Joe was asked in the PC yesterday about that same question.. helmet pops off. who plays.. is KT trying to preserve his redshirt. Joe of course gave the smart answer.. we will do what's best for the program first and hope it aligns with the players wishes also.

Johnson85
09-03-2019, 10:33 AM

You think KT's ok with burning his RS to play mopup? I would hope that if he wants to RS, we would try to work with him barring an injury to Stevens. I know there are limited practice snaps and it will be difficult to keep a ready backup if we are trying to spread that duty out over three different players, but if end up relying on a backup, we are probably screwed regardless.

Coach007
09-03-2019, 11:46 AM
You think KT's ok with burning his RS to play mopup? I would hope that if he wants to RS, we would try to work with him barring an injury to Stevens. I know there are limited practice snaps and it will be difficult to keep a ready backup if we are trying to spread that duty out over three different players, but if end up relying on a backup, we are probably screwed regardless.

It may have been decided that he will stay at MSU for the next 2 years. However, I do hope we work with him on a redshirt if that's what he wants. But in the back of the mind of CJM has to be that this kid was ready to bolt and he can't be left holding the bag next year if he does.

Jack Lambert
09-03-2019, 11:59 AM
I don't know where KT is in academics but if Moorhead can limit his play to four games and he graduates he will be able to transfer with two year left to play. If Stevens get hurt he will be the starter and probably keep it next year. I just knocked on wood by the way.

Quaoarsking
09-03-2019, 12:36 PM
KT will presumably (I don't have a source, I'm just making an educated guess) pull a Kelly Bryant and leave the team after his 4th appearance, so let's make those 4 games count. Hopefully that day will be late enough to get Shrader into some games late but preserve his redshirt.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2019, 03:37 PM
I would try not to use him until week 9 or 10. Let Burnett get in there for helmet related issues with a set of 3 stock plays he can run perfectly. That way you only have to call out play 1, 2, 3 etc.

RocketDawg
09-03-2019, 06:41 PM
If a helmet pops off ... you could put just about anybody in for one play just to hand the ball off. Does the player that comes in have to be a quarterback, or can he be anybody on the team?

Tbonewannabe
09-04-2019, 08:52 AM
If a helmet pops off ... you could put just about anybody in for one play just to hand the ball off. Does the player that comes in have to be a quarterback, or can he be anybody on the team?

We used Bumphis at one time around 2011-2012, I can't remember the exact year. It might have been when we were down to only Damien Williams and he had to come out for a play, I can't remember exactly. Just needs to be someone who can catch the snap and either run or hand it off. It is always good to have some wildcat QB plays just for that reason.