PDA

View Full Version : Everyone should rewatch the game.

gravedigger
09-02-2019, 02:13 PM
I just did and saw enough to know my initial reactions were just emotion.

Napier is a good coach and called a good game. If he has an OC that calls plays, he did a good job too.

Leo is average. No aggression.

Tommy is fun to watch. So is our offense. Small wonder why last year was so frustrating.

We chased their qb too much. Shoop will make that adjustment depending on who we are playing. That said the qb for them made some outstanding plays against pretty good defensive playcalling.

We have stuff to clean up. But I'm pretty sure we will.

Linebackers playing 6 yards off the ball is not conducive to controlling the run game, but I understood why we did it late. Early not so much.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2019, 02:38 PM
I'm rewatching now.

Tyler Williams will be a good one

gravedigger
09-02-2019, 02:56 PM
I'm rewatching now.

Tyler Williams will be a good one

Agreed. Made a perfect play on a ball late to stop a td.

Spencer? Did too. Stripped a ball when we had to have it.

I hope his injury isn?t bad.

And Cadaver, I?m burying the hatchet with ya.

Hope no hard feelings.

Red Sox Dawg
09-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Things aren't as bad as Saturday looked on the message boards. Some observations after rewatching the game:
Tommy will be OK. Has some more rust to knock off. Throws a nice ball, knows the offense, and is reliable. He held the ball top long on a few plays and missed a couple of guys, but he will get better. That was his first start in 5 years going back to high school.
Kylin needs to block better. He can run the football but missed too many blocks.
OLine will be good if injuries don't get us.
Receivers are better.
The defensive line is not as bad as the message boards said, but they need a lot of work.
The linebackers were not good. We will miss Willie Gay.
The Dbacks were OK.
The defense was vanilla and didn't blitz much. When we blitzed we got pressure. We looked slow because we lost Simmons and Sweat and we don't have players with that speed. The rest of the defense was ok and will improve. We won't be as good as last year. It will be tough without better linebacker play.
Special teams were not special. They were below average except for 2 punts.
The O will improve. The D needs to improve. Special teams better improve.

Coach007
09-02-2019, 03:38 PM
I believe they had roughly 200 yards going into the 4th quarter

TrapGame
09-02-2019, 03:51 PM
I saw where ULL was projected to go 9-3 and win the Sun Belt. They ain't Georgia State or Alcorn State. They have a good QB, experienced OL, 3 good RBs and a decent defense. This was a good warm up game to knock some rust off and find the problems that need to be addressed.

Coach007
09-02-2019, 03:59 PM
Just in case it doesn't get seen in the Matt thread.

Folks.... The game was 35-14 going into the 4th quarter.... they had 212 yards.... That's all. They had drives of 8,69,99,32 in the 4th. That's just as much offense and defense needing to FINISH. This defense is not NEAR as bad as people think

Cooterpoot
09-02-2019, 04:03 PM
We screwed around vs ULL last year too. But we’ve got issues on the DL. There’s no way around that.

Mjoelner34
09-02-2019, 04:04 PM
Just in case it doesn't get seen in the Matt thread.

Folks.... The game was 35-14 going into the 4th quarter.... they had 212 yards.... That's all. They had drives of 8,69,99,32 in the 4th. That's just as much offense and defense needing to FINISH. This defense is not NEAR as bad as people think

And, that 14 was gifted by a bonehead play on special teams and a block in the back that wasn't called on the 2nd TD.

Coach007
09-02-2019, 04:14 PM
We screwed around vs ULL last year too. But we’ve got issues on the DL. There’s no way around that.

LOL! no we did not... We jumped on them hard and as a result they only rushed their RBs 14 times (and averaged the SAME as they did this year). Because they were so far behind they passed it more.

35-3 at halftime. At the end of the 3rd 49-3....

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2019, 04:15 PM

No doubt. We've got some issues, but we also made a ton of defensive mistakes that are completely correctable

Coach007
09-02-2019, 04:16 PM
And, that 14 was gifted by a bonehead play on special teams and a block in the back that wasn't called on the 2nd TD.

YEP! Had we not had a few miscues the score would be way different. But we had them. Part of the game. But damn, the sky has not fallen. 200 yards through 3 quarters is not bad at all. Just need to finish

TaleofTwoDogs
09-02-2019, 04:47 PM
Let's hang a banner that says "We Won the First Three Quarters That's Good Enough for Me" **

West Tn Dawg
09-02-2019, 04:52 PM
Where can you watch the re-play without getting up at 3:00am in the morning?
Thanks

Coach007
09-02-2019, 05:16 PM
Let's hang a banner that says "We Won the First Three Quarters That's Good Enough for Me" **

No.. Let's hang the banner "WE WON THE DAMN GAME EASILY WITH FRESHMEN!!!!"

Not sure what your function is with assume anybody is saying it's good enough. I've not seen one person state that... including me

MetEdDawg
09-02-2019, 05:42 PM
I saw where ULL was projected to go 9-3 and win the Sun Belt. They ain't Georgia State or Alcorn State. They have a good QB, experienced OL, 3 good RBs and a decent defense. This was a good warm up game to knock some rust off and find the problems that need to be addressed.

3rd most experienced OL in all of college football. I don't care who you are. That makes a difference, especially with a serviceable QB that is athletic.

ULL would beat USM head to head at any field. That's the truth.

If this were a home game you could add 10 or more points to the score differential. Neutral site and not a full home crowd environment makes a difference.

Offense is fine. We lost 3 points because of the backup kicker trying to hit the ball like he was getting out of a bunker and lost a drive on the muffed punt which gave them field position at our 12. Basically a free 3 points for sure no matter what but they got 7. So there's 10 points right there from suspensions and stupid.

Defense needs work. DL is young and will be the weak link. LBs looked slower because they can't work downhill as much because we are missing every member from the best DL that ever walked on campus. That changes your ability to anticipate and count on your guys to do their job. They played like they are having to guess sometimes because the DL is inconsistent.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Where can you watch the re-play without getting up at 3:00am in the morning?
Thanks

Watch ESPN

West Tn Dawg
09-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Watch ESPN

Watch ESPN was telling me it is no longer available.

Jack Lambert
09-02-2019, 06:41 PM
There was a few times early they were out of position but as the game went on they stopped however tackling was a issue. They missed way too many tackles for a loss. That would have gotten them off the field and not looked so tired at the end of the game.

Harrydawg
09-02-2019, 06:42 PM
There is a new ap for watch ESPN. Go download it and you’ll have it

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Watch ESPN was telling me it is no longer available.

It's working on mine.

Make sure you go to "schedule & replays". Then click on "replay" & then "Sat 31". Gotta make sure you're on the right date

Lord McBuckethead
09-02-2019, 07:03 PM
I agree. Once I rewatched the game, it was clear I was over analyzing play by play. We all should try to focus on building up our players and coaches. Time to tear them down, is for amateurs.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2019, 09:14 PM
Agreed. Made a perfect play on a ball late to stop a td.

Spencer? Did too. Stripped a ball when we had to have it.

I hope his injury isn?t bad.

And Cadaver, I?m burying the hatchet with ya.

Hope no hard feelings.

Glad to hear it, man. No hard feelings at all. Hail State

CadaverDawg
09-02-2019, 09:19 PM
That misdirection offense ULL ran also kept us from being as aggressive as we'd like because we had so many running threats to account for. Had to maintain assignments or it could have been big plays. So I think we'll see much more penetration this weekend. I truly think we easily cover the -18.5 (now -16.5). We're much better on D than we showed, and ULL is much better than many think. I'm not saying they're great and we don't have a lot to improve on...we do...but it's not nearly as bad as many think and as the score led many to believe. But we'll see

basedog
09-03-2019, 07:25 AM
ULL is not a bad offensive team, they should compete for their championship in the Sunbelt. Their QB is a good athlete, to be honest their running backs were hard runners. Now on the other side, they have problems on defense.

If what I've been hearing, the Ncaa changed two a days on hitting and tackling. It shows on games I watched this past week, I do think most teams will show improvement this weekend. As far as folks saying we are out of shape, I imagine this weekend we will be a little better condition if they are out of shape. Me, I think it's more inexperience in starting and or playing the first game, learn to play hard every down. I do think the LB'ers had a bad game. That has to improve, our DC is a good Coach, it ain't like he forgot how to Coach, players have to make plays, we made plenty of mistakes.

Let's just beat Usm and keep moving forward to another winning season and bowl game, it's a rebuilding year!

HAILSTATE!