PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated That Every Year We have a Blatant Hole On the Team

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2019, 09:00 AM
What do we have to do to put a complete team on the field someday?

I'm not asking for 5 stars at every position, just a team that is average to above average at every position unit.

It's frustrating because it seems that every.single.year. we have about 1 position group that isn't ready.

2014 - secondary
2015 - OL
2016 - defense
2017 - WR
2018 - QB & WR
2019 - DL/suspensions

The weak position unit moves around the team to different units with WR maybe being the most consistently below average. Just frustrating that we can't ever time this thing up to where we have a complete team.

msstate7
09-02-2019, 09:08 AM
What teams don't have a hole at one position group every year? Hell, Bama is dealing with a potential hole at LB

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2019, 09:17 AM
What teams don't have a hole at one position group every year? Hell, Bama is dealing with a potential hole at LB

"hole" at LB

LB will certainly be their weakness but they are unbelievably talented there. I'm talking about how we have a position unit every year that's below average by league standards. Bama's LB my be their weakness, but they are far from below average

Pollodawg
09-02-2019, 09:21 AM
Such is life really.

msstate7
09-02-2019, 09:24 AM
"hole" at LB

LB will certainly be their weakness but they are unbelievably talented there. I'm talking about how we have a position unit every year that's below average by league standards. Bama's LB my be their weakness, but they are far from below average

Ok. Who else has no holes?

Dawg2003
09-02-2019, 09:26 AM
When you have to recruit against LSU, Bama, and Ole Miss in your backyard, what do you expect?

BeardoMSU
09-02-2019, 09:47 AM
Hell, Bama is dealing with a potential hole at LB

And they've had issues at QB in the past.

TUSK
09-02-2019, 09:56 AM
And they've had issues at QB in the past.

And at K, and P....

Pollodawg
09-02-2019, 10:13 AM
When you have to recruit against LSU, Bama, and Ole Miss in your backyard, what do you expect?

One of these is not like the other two......

justwin
09-02-2019, 10:38 AM

I'm not asking for 5 stars at every position, just a team that is average to above average at every position unit.

It's frustrating because it seems that every.single.year. we have about 1 position group that isn't ready.

2014 - secondary
2015 - OL
2016 - defense
2017 - WR
2018 - QB & WR
2019 - DL/suspensions

The weak position unit moves around the team to different units with WR maybe being the most consistently below average. Just frustrating that we can't ever time this thing up to where we have a complete team.

suggest you withhold opinion until after 3 games on the DL. just not enough sample size yet. the issue was arm tackles across the board which is veeerrrry correctable after film. every level of our D had arm tackles. I say game 3 due to so many new players on D stepping into starting roles. Make no mistake, the ULL qb is going to get a shot at NFL slot wr as he's dynamic with the ball. And, yes, ULL would've beaten OM, UT, Memphis, Ark, maybe Mizzou, maybe USC / UNC, and maybe FSU last weekend. They were ready to go game 1. Granted, it was home, but they were ready to go week 1 in the dome @ home. Back to your question, need to keep giving Kylin/Gibson 35 carries per & our punter dealing, it will clear up rapidly. MSU always always has a servicable DL & RBs, it's who we are. Also, I think after 3 game, the combo of Fabian / Jaden / Pickering are going to be blossoming. I won't forget that Jaden has 40+ TFLs/Sacks as a senior. That will translate once he gets game reps & those 3 are only freshman to grow together.

After week 1, my big takeaway is I see a 3 game season for us. @ Aub week 5, few weeks later LSU, few weeks later Bama. I think we'll match up very well with the remaining 8 and favored in most just due to our passing game. But, it will come down to Auburn in week 5. So, got to think Willie will be available those 3. I just wonder what is the 4th game for Willie. Kentucky or AM. I think I go Kentucky to give him a tune up for Auburn. I probably play Autry Kentucky too. Of Aub / LSU / Bama, think we have the best shot vs Auburn so I want it to be game 2 for Willie.

People give LSU alot of crap, but they did exactly what you wanted to see from them week 1 vs a lower opponent. Burrow threw 5 tds. Doesn't look like O is going to bully these O coaches he has now. Seems like he's finally gotten to handpick his O coaches that he respects and won't try wrestle. Brady, from Saints, incorporated some Brees type pass combos in week 1.

Bama isn't the same Bama as past few years. They're good and they'll have the refs on their side in the 5 critical plays / game which helps. Just not as seasoned in the middle of their D. They've had some studs leave. Two years ago Auburn and MSU ran up the gut on them and could be similar this year when the walkon was playing LB, could be same type deal this year. Of course, they have the SEC POY in Jeudy which helps entire team and probably helps exaggerate Tua. Bama will still win a bunch, but they have no backup QB to help them in their biggest games.

Bothrops
09-02-2019, 10:59 AM
It's almost impossible for over 90 percent of the D1 programs to have a complete team more than once in 5-10 years.

maroonmania
09-02-2019, 11:07 AM
One thing that will help, hopefully, is to have a head coach and staff more focused on recruiting the needs for the program rather than spending so much time at the end and after the season looking for a higher profile job. Just sayin'.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2019, 11:18 AM
One thing that will help, hopefully, is to have a head coach and staff more focused on recruiting the needs for the program rather than spending so much time at the end and after the season looking for a higher profile job. Just sayin'.

No doubt, if we could through a 3 years period without neglecting a position group in recruiting, we'd be pretty complete.

With all the great defensive linemen we've produced, it's absurd that we have a weakness there this year. I get having a weakness at WR, but having one of DL is ridiculous

CadaverDawg
09-02-2019, 11:24 AM

I just hope it's not because nobody wants them.

Cooterpoot
09-02-2019, 11:26 AM
Go get some Indo and chill. Everybody short of about 6 programs a year have holes.

Todd4State
09-02-2019, 11:33 AM
The answer is to make sure we cover every position group in recruiting- which is what Dan failed to do consistently. And have back up plans when our plan A's don't work instead of just leaving a spot open.

With the JUCO system Mississippi has plus the new transfer rules there is no reason why we should have major holes anywhere other than our coach has his head up his ass like Dan did. But the JUCO system allows us to reassess our classes every two years and process out anyone that doesn't work out. Yet another thing that Dan failed to do with people like Zach Jackson.

Todd4State
09-02-2019, 11:36 AM

The JUCO system allows us to roll the dice some. We can take a chance on a Mississippi kid that has a high upside and if it works out you have a Benardrick McKinney and if it doesn't you go get a Martinas Rankin from the JUCO ranks.

Todd4State
09-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Go get some Indo and chill. Everybody short of about 6 programs a year have holes.

Our holes seem bigger and more drastic. Shotgun said below league average. Our holes to me are sometimes Sun Belt average.

CadaverDawg
09-02-2019, 12:07 PM
The JUCO system allows us to roll the dice some. We can take a chance on a Mississippi kid that has a high upside and if it works out you have a Benardrick McKinney and if it doesn't you go get a Martinas Rankin from the JUCO ranks.

I'm talking about our coaches

Dawg61
09-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Lol you put Qb for 2018

Dawg2003
09-02-2019, 12:14 PM
One of these is not like the other two......

They are all alike in that we have to compete with them for recruits. Ole Miss especially because we are in the same state.

BayouDawg
09-02-2019, 01:51 PM

In all fairness it seemed like not too many people wanted Dan either. It took him 8 years and Fla and Tenn botching their searches for him to get out of dodge.

StateDawg44
09-02-2019, 04:52 PM
No doubt, if we could through a 3 years period without neglecting a position group in recruiting, we'd be pretty complete.

With all the great defensive linemen we've produced, it's absurd that we have a weakness there this year. I get having a weakness at WR, but having one of DL is ridiculous

But in the mean time, you?re gonna start threads crapping on where we are now instead of giving our coaches that third year to get said holes filled in some. Can?t have it both ways man.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2019, 04:58 PM
But in the mean time, you?re gonna start threads crapping on where we are now instead of giving our coaches that third year to get said holes filled in some. Can?t have it both ways man.

Dude, we're not crapping on anyone. We're just discussing our football team. If can't handle that then GTFO

BuckyIsAB****
09-02-2019, 05:07 PM

2014 - secondary
2015 - OL
2016 - defense
2017 - WR
2018 - QB & WR
2019 - DL/suspensions

That is every team in the country. Over analyzing everything is your strength. You do make a lot of good threads though it is good discussion

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2019, 05:12 PM
That is every team in the country. Over analyzing everything is your strength. You do make a lot of good threads though it is good discussion

That's all I'm doing is creating discussion. I do wish we could just put it all together for one year

BuckyIsAB****
09-02-2019, 05:13 PM
That's all I'm doing is creating discussion. I do wish we could just put it all together for one year

Its never as good as you think and its never as bad. If our biggest problem this year is our defense then we are going to be pretty good bc the defense wont be bad

Cooterpoot
09-02-2019, 05:21 PM
Our holes seem bigger and more drastic. Shotgun said below league average. Our holes to me are sometimes Sun Belt average.

We compete with 4 top 15 programs in our division. We aren?t, and never have been a top 15 program. And those teams, yeah, they?ve got holes too. We will never be AL, LSU, or AU. A&M we?ll wait and see on but they?ve got the potential to be up there more consistently. We?re the poorest program in the SEC. What do you guys expect? I expect 7/8 wins vs our schedule. If you think we should be competing with the top teams for recruits, you?re unrealistic unfortunately.

Todd4State
09-03-2019, 01:32 AM
We compete with 4 top 15 programs in our division. We aren?t, and never have been a top 15 program. And those teams, yeah, they?ve got holes too. We will never be AL, LSU, or AU. A&M we?ll wait and see on but they?ve got the potential to be up there more consistently. We?re the poorest program in the SEC. What do you guys expect? I expect 7/8 wins vs our schedule. If you think we should be competing with the top teams for recruits, you?re unrealistic unfortunately.

I'm not saying that we should be competing with the top teams for recruits.

Quite the opposite. I'm saying that we along with the other non-bluebloods have a much smaller margin for error.

IMO what we should be doing is identify the top 15 players in the state of Mississippi and sign as many of them as we can. Realistically expecting us to get 10-12 or so. Identify 3-5 high upside in state player like JP Purvis that may not be highly rated but have obvious upside or are under the radar because they play at a small school in rural Mississippi. Fill in the gaps at any position groups with out of state players focusing on Louisiana, Memphis, and then Alabama in that order. Sign 3-5 JUCO's or grad transfers to fill in any holes that we may have. MAKE SURE THAT ALL POSITION GROUPS ARE COVERED.

So basically do what we've been doing- which has yielded consistent 6-9 win season with probably an average of around 7-8 wins a year. But with the adjustment of making sure every position group is covered so that we don't have the holes or liabilities like we had at WR last year or DL this year. If we do that- I believe we will take the next step of getting to 8-10 wins a year.

I believe if we do that and consistently develop talent and fill in with JUCO's and basically have junior and senior laden teams with maybe 1-2 rare talents like a Jeffrey Simmons that really can come in as a freshman and make an impact we can put together a team that can compete with anyone in the league and win some of those games and at worst give us a respectable showing instead of Mississippi State won 8 games with four blowouts to top 15 opponents.

Doggie_Style
09-03-2019, 06:51 AM
The answer is to make sure we cover every position group in recruiting- which is what Dan failed to do consistently. And have back up plans when our plan A's don't work instead of just leaving a spot open.

With the JUCO system Mississippi has plus the new transfer rules there is no reason why we should have major holes anywhere other than our coach has his head up his ass like Dan did. But the JUCO system allows us to reassess our classes every two years and process out anyone that doesn't work out. Yet another thing that Dan failed to do with people like Zach Jackson.

I think the point is that Moorhead failed to get the personnel here knowing who we were losing and knowing about the suspensions..... he tried but failed