PDA

View Full Version : A few things I haven?t seen anyone talk about..

dawg21
09-01-2019, 08:47 PM
- the offense clearly has direct handoffs to the RB..that?s different than last year
- few penalties...and I thought the holding call on Zuber catch was weak
- the identity of our program is changing from tough/hard nosed to Xs and Os-cerebral...I?m not saying it?s good or bad because I think JM will recruit well...but I have mixed feelings about it. Our history says we have to put a top 10 defense on the field to have a chance

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 08:53 PM
The offense ran a LOT more smoothly yesterday than at any time last year. No question about it. And it did seem more diverse.

Penalties were improved- but still room to clean things up mostly on special teams.

We can put together a top 10 defense but to me it looks like more of a recruiting (few upper-class DT's) and conditioning issue more than anything. Yes, we are more cerebral but I don't think that we don't want to be physical.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 09:00 PM
The offense ran a LOT more smoothly yesterday than at any time last year. No question about it. And it did seem more diverse.

Penalties were improved- but still room to clean things up mostly on special teams.

We can put together a top 10 defense but to me it looks like more of a recruiting (few upper-class DT's) and conditioning issue more than anything. Yes, we are more cerebral but I don't think that we don't want to be physical.

I agree. Even in games last year when we scored more points & put up more yards than yesterday, it still looked like a cluster 17. Yesterday's offense didn't look like a cluster 17. It looked organized with some rhythm.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 09:02 PM
- the offense clearly has direct handoffs to the RB..that?s different than last year
- few penalties...and I thought the holding call on Zuber catch was weak
- the identity of our program is changing from tough/hard nosed to Xs and Os-cerebral...I?m not saying it?s good or bad because I think JM will recruit well...but I have mixed feelings about it. Our history says we have to put a top 10 defense on the field to have a chance

I'm split on the physical vs cerebral as well.

I'm afraid we are heading towards being like A&M but with less talent. However, I also realize that our passing ability & offensive style had to improve if we are every going to take the next step.

Hopefully Joe can have enough self awareness to make that adjustment.

I don't want MSU football to be a country club. I wish we went more live 1 on 1s in practice. Seems like we could've used that yesterday

Coach34
09-01-2019, 09:05 PM

Absolutely. Probably the biggest change and brightest spot from yesterday.

RezDog7
09-01-2019, 09:06 PM

I'm afraid we are heading towards being like A&M but with less talent. However, I also realize that our passing ability & offensive style had to improve if we are every going to take the next step.

I don't want MSU football to be a country club. I wish we went more live 1 on 1s in practice. Seems like we could've used that yesterday

You've been spot on with your takes. Hopefully we can build on this game and continue to get better. We want win a national title, but still have a chance to have a decent year.

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 09:07 PM

Honestly- right now we're what Tennessee used to be in football and Tennessee is what we used to be in football. We'll win 8 games and go to a nice bowl, have a good game day environment but have enough holes to not win the SEC. UT could lose to a Sun Belt team any weekend.

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 09:09 PM
You've been spot on with your takes. Hopefully we can build on this game and continue to get better. We want win a national title, but still have a chance to have a decent year.

I think how our season goes hinges on Auburn. If I'm Joe- I'm focusing on that game much like Dan focused on LSU in 2014. The fact that Auburn beat Oregon doesn't bode well for us though. Had they lost to Oregon and A&M they could have been reeling somewhat.

And when I say hinges- I mean 7-8 wins to potentially special season.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Absolutely. Probably the biggest change and brightest spot from yesterday.

Good to hear

dawg21
09-01-2019, 09:23 PM
You?ve got to have a few maniacs on D. Is it ok to ask for a few freaks?

confucius say
09-01-2019, 09:35 PM
I think how our season goes hinges on Auburn. If I'm Joe- I'm focusing on that game much like Dan focused on LSU in 2014. The fact that Auburn beat Oregon doesn't bode well for us though. Had they lost to Oregon and A&M they could have been reeling somewhat.

And when I say hinges- I mean 7-8 wins to potentially special season.

I see no way we beat auburn. We will struggle to stop the run all year and auburn will run it 50 times against us. Like we did against them last year when we rushed for 300+

Scared_Hitless
09-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Joey Jones needs a hard look at lots of special teams issues and he sent incorrect players on the field twice. Hopefully its cleaned up soon. Shoop has my trust he will adjust

Coach34
09-01-2019, 10:17 PM
I see no way we beat auburn. We will struggle to stop the run all year and auburn will run it 50 times against us. Like we did against them last year when we rushed for 300+

yeah Auburn will beat us by double digits

Commercecomet24
09-01-2019, 10:59 PM
I agree. Even in games last year when we scored more points & put up more yards than yesterday, it still looked like a cluster 17. Yesterday's offense didn't look like a cluster 17. It looked organized with some rhythm.

Agree on this. It looked much more organized and precise.

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 11:02 PM
You?ve got to have a few maniacs on D. Is it ok to ask for a few freaks?

I'll take a good strength coach to help the freaks that we have.