PDA

View Full Version : The "Alabama", I mean "SEC Network" and MSU Football

Goldendawg
09-01-2019, 07:52 PM
I was really excited when I heard the SEC Network was going to be launched, now not so much. MSU football always seems to be an afterthought when game replays are scheduled. Nothing much to watch on Labor Day, Sunday afternoon so I checked out the SEC Network hoping to watch a replay of our game. Well, it's on if you want to watch it at 3:30 A.M. on Monday morning. Seems like every other team gets exposure before us, even Vandy. Someone, listening IB?, needs to address this, as it seems to be a regular occurrence. Hail State!

Statecoachingblows**
09-01-2019, 08:28 PM
It seems to be the same when it comes to "highlights" as well

Jack Lambert
09-01-2019, 08:32 PM
Three hours of PF alone turns me off. I only watch on football Saturday.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:34 PM
It frustrates me as well, but the let's look at this way: the announced attendance at our game yesterday was 22K at a stadium that was 45 minutes south of the Mississippi boarder.

Why don't more of our fans care? Why do we expect people to talk about us when we don't tune in?

DownwardDawg
09-01-2019, 08:51 PM
It frustrates me as well, but the let's look at this way: the announced attendance at our game yesterday was 22K at a stadium that was 45 minutes south of the Mississippi boarder.

Why don't more of our fans care? Why do we expect people to talk about us when we don't tune in?

Did you not pay attention to the ticket threads? And it was Southern decadence weekend. Most people avoid the hail out of NOLA this weekend.

ETA: It was a terrible weekend to be in NOLA for most and tickets were way overpriced.

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 09:02 PM

I don't think our fans "know" how to win. I know I'll probably get railed for that.

However, let's compare us to baseball. Would we allow our baseball program to:

1. Have poor S&C and just promote from within?

2. Would we allow a coach to recruit poorly and keep his friends around that are known to be poor recruiters while leaving obvious gaps at position groups in recruiting?

3. Allow a coach to openly job hunt every year at the end of the season?

Of course our fans wouldn't allow it. But we allow it to happen in football. And I know there are going to be some people that say "But that's baseball and you can't compare MSU baseball to football"- and that mindset that many of our fans have is precisely what I'm talking about. The point is it's not about comparing us to anyone else or any other sport at MSU and about us doing ALL of the little things for us to be the best that we can be. That means recruiting well enough that we don't have to rely on JUCO's because we have holes or inexperienced freshmen at EVERY SINGLE position group. That means being on top of our S&C program and being top notch there and making sure we are the best there. You can't preach championships, relentless effort, whatever and then not being willing to do ALL of the little things that go along with it.

Now having said that- we've come a long way in football since the Croom era. And we are the best we have ever been. But until MSU corrects all of the little details we're not going to move much past 8 wins and start to beat top 15 SEC teams somewhat consistently.

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 09:04 PM
Did you not pay attention to the ticket threads? And it was Southern decadence weekend. Most people avoid the hail out of NOLA this weekend.

ETA: It was a terrible weekend to be in NOLA for most and tickets were way overpriced.

That's really sad.

I mean if people don't want to be around that- then don't go to the gay district of the French Quarter. But to completely avoid the city is ridiculous. There is plenty to do in NOLA besides go to the French Quarter.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 09:05 PM
I don't think our fans "know" how to win. I know I'll probably get railed for that.

However, let's compare us to baseball. Would we allow our baseball program to:

1. Have poor S&C and just promote from within?

2. Would we allow a coach to recruit poorly and keep his friends around that are known to be poor recruiters while leaving obvious gaps at position groups in recruiting?

3. Allow a coach to openly job hunt every year at the end of the season?

Of course our fans wouldn't allow it. But we allow it to happen in football. And I know there are going to be some people that say "But that's baseball and you can't compare MSU baseball to football"- and that mindset that many of our fans have is precisely what I'm talking about. The point is it's not about comparing us to anyone else or any other sport at MSU and about us doing ALL of the little things for us to be the best that we can be. That means recruiting well enough that we don't have to rely on JUCO's because we have holes or inexperienced freshmen at EVERY SINGLE position group. That means being on top of our S&C program and being top notch there and making sure we are the best there. You can't preach championships, relentless effort, whatever and then not being willing to do ALL of the little things that go along with it.

Now having said that- we've come a long way in football since the Croom era. And we are the best we have ever been. But until MSU corrects all of the little details we're not going to move much past 8 wins and start to beat top 15 SEC teams somewhat consistently.

100% agree.

We run our football program scared that the bottom will fall out instead of pushing the envelope

Goldendawg
09-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Even though our performance was very "questionable", especially on D, I don't blame anyone for not spending their time and money to attend this overpriced (ticket wise) OOC game against a nobody in NO. My family has been Bulldog Club members since Day 1 and season ticket holders for 50 plus years. Most of our OOC opponents are not worth the cost$ to watch at DWS, much less a road trip! With 4 OOC cupcakes on the schedules these days, 8 wins should be the floor for any team and HC at MSU these days. 4 OOC wins, Arky, KY, Tn, (usually a weak East team), and UM. 6-6 should be the hot seat, 7-4, a disappointment, (bottom half of the West), and 8-4, the floor. Hail State!

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 09:18 PM
100% agree.

We run our football program scared that the bottom will fall out instead of pushing the envelope

From talking to our fans on here:

I don't think we're scared. I don't think we can believe that we can possibly be good this consistently. But that's from years of being told that by people including MSU people. Like my parents.

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 09:20 PM
Even though our performance was very "questionable", especially on D, I don't blame anyone for not spending their time and money to attend this overpriced (ticket wise) OOC game against a nobody in NO. My family has been Bulldog Club members since Day 1 and season ticket holders for 50 plus years. Most of our OOC opponents are not worth the cost$ to watch at DWS, much less a road trip! With 4 OOC cupcakes on the schedules these days, 8 wins should be the floor for any team and HC at MSU these days. 4 OOC wins, Arky, KY, Tn, (usually a weak East team), and UM. 6-6 should be the hot seat, 7-4, a disappointment, (bottom half of the West), and 8-4, the floor. Hail State!

It was 25 bucks a ticket. That's probably cheaper than MSU/Abeline Christian. And I'm a season ticket holder too.

DownwardDawg
09-01-2019, 09:41 PM
That's really sad.

I mean if people don't want to be around that- then don't go to the gay district of the French Quarter. But to completely avoid the city is ridiculous. There is plenty to do in NOLA besides go to the French Quarter.

It has never bothered me but talking to folks that live there, even ULL and LSU fans, they stay clear of the area the entire week. It is sad.

Goldendawg
09-01-2019, 10:01 PM
It was 25 bucks a ticket. That's probably cheaper than MSU/Abeline Christian. And I'm a season ticket holder too.

Regardless of ticket prices to UL, Abeline Christian will be a prime example of not really worth the trip to DWS except for season ticket holders, hardcore State fans, and maybe discounted tickets for HS bands/students etc. and it will still be a pitiful crowd, attendance wise. Play someone with a pulse! We are well beyond the Shira years when my Dad used to carry me to see us play Willam and Mary University and he told me if both of them show up for the game, we would lose. To go 6-6 with today's OOC schedules would be a a joke. Improve the appeal of these games and attendance would improve.

Commercecomet24
09-01-2019, 11:06 PM
Attendance is down all across cfb not just us. It's also down in the nfl. It's not just an MSU problem. It's the way it is right now and maybe from here on out/. Times have changed.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-01-2019, 11:08 PM
That's really sad.

Easy for you to say. I assume you have never lived in NOLA. I lived there for several years and anytime there was a major convention or event in town the traffic (which is pretty bad anyway) becomes a nightmare and this affects all of the major roads. Add in the fact that the city had street flooding from heavy rains during game week didn't help. As far as ticket prices, they were very high on Stubhub, Ticketmaster, etc for several months leading up to the game, and it wasn't until the week of the game did you see prices go way down on the major outlets. We would have spent close to a $1000 to travel to the game and it wasn't worth it especially considering the performance of the team. ESPNU, my sofa and YETI looked a lot better.

BulldogBear
09-02-2019, 07:14 AM
Attendance is down all across cfb not just us. It's also down in the nfl. It's not just an MSU problem. It's the way it is right now and maybe from here on out/. Times have changed.

The lack of public sale that so many venues have gone to has become a serious issue eveywhere.

Bothrops
09-02-2019, 10:39 AM
We don't exist to espn, or any of its constituents.

R2Dawg
09-02-2019, 11:55 AM
100% agree.

Yep like fans who don't want to hold our program to any championship standard. We accept average and that is good enough and then fuss at any fans who have a higher standard. Ironic isn't it?

Maroonthirteen
09-02-2019, 12:13 PM

T-V. Our 2018 Egg Bowl attendance was terrible. It?s all because of moving the game to Thanksgiving for tv. Sit at home and watch with family and turkey? Or miss thanksgiving with family and sit in the stadium. People are making decisions.

Dawg2003
09-02-2019, 12:19 PM
I mean, there are 14 teams in the SEC. Not all teams will or should be given equal air time. We are not in play for the conference title. So I don't see why they would talk about us more than teams that are. That would just be bad businesses. Talking about MSU football isn't exactly going to give them good ratings. Dak hasn't been here in awhile. Sometimes I really worry that our fans don't understand how things work or either have no grasp on reality.

Coursesuper
09-02-2019, 12:36 PM
I mean, there are 14 teams in the SEC. Not all teams will or should be given equal air time. We are not in play for the conference title. So I don't see why they would talk about us more than teams that are. That would just be bad businesses. Talking about MSU football isn't exactly going to give them good ratings. Dak hasn't been here in awhile. Sometimes I really worry that our fans don't understand how things work or either have no grasp on reality.

Finally, I see someone else that gets it.

MaroonFlounder
09-02-2019, 09:11 PM
I don't blame anyone for not spending their time and money to attend this overpriced (ticket wise) OOC game against a nobody in NO.

My tickets were $45 a piece for the wife and me (thru the Bulldog club when single game tickets went on sale)

That's $5 less per ticket than for an OOC game at Davis Wade. Generally, SEC games are $75 and OOC are $50.

My wife is originally from NOLA, so we have friends and her family there.

We didn't encounter anything different than usual from the crowd in the quarter.

Had a great time and hope there are more games in NOLA in the future.

JoseBrown
09-02-2019, 10:22 PM
100% agree.

Well, we really made sure there'll be no pushing the envelope for the next three years. Ten student athletes pay some person to take some exams and we hammered ourselves for three years... Good thing it wasn't a booster caught flaunting the guidelines like ole miss, we might've given ourself the death penalty?

StarkvilleGuru
09-03-2019, 07:18 AM
Want to improve attendance? Serve alcohol in the stadium. Otherwise, folks would rather stay in the Junction during the game. Ole Miss understands that they are going to be dreadful--so they decided to sell alcohol in the stadium. Alcohol isn't always the cure, but here, it will certainly help.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2019, 07:27 AM
Want to improve attendance? Serve alcohol in the stadium. Otherwise, folks would rather stay in the Junction during the game. Ole Miss understands that they are going to be dreadful--so they decided to sell alcohol in the stadium. Alcohol isn't always the cure, but here, it will certainly help.

Add wifi to the stadium & secure charging portals so people can watch other games on their phone at the game

drummerdawg
09-03-2019, 08:30 AM
The thing I don't like is that every other SEC team besides MSU is well represented on that network. Alabama has McElroy, Auburn has Chiz, LSU has Spears and Ben McDonald, Florida has Tebow, etc...Even OM has AK for basketball and Dellucci for baseball. I'm not sure I've ever seen a State guy on that network.

Maroonthirteen
09-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Memphis has sold beer in the liberty bowl for a few years now. I haven’t heard of their increasing by large margins.

School donations and Ticket prices + 11am kickoffs + Not knowing kickoff until a few weeks prior + scalpers flooding stubhub and stubhub ridiculous fees and HD TV..... those are the problems that $8 beers won’t fix.

Dawg2003
09-03-2019, 10:48 AM
The thing I don't like is that every other SEC team besides MSU is well represented on that network. Alabama has McElroy, Auburn has Gus, LSU has Spears and Ben McDonald, Florida has Tebow, etc...Even OM has AK for basketball and Dellucci for baseball. I'm not sure I've ever seen a State guy on that network.

Every other team is well represented? Missouri, KY, Vandy, TAMU, Georgia? What representation do they have among commentators?

sleepy dawg
09-03-2019, 11:02 AM
That's really sad.

I was in the French Quarter all weekend. The crowds were rather mild and Bourbon street was hopping and a good time... I'm not real sure why anyone would've actively tried to avoid it if it is something that you would've found fun any other time.

TrapGame
09-03-2019, 11:06 AM

Exactly.

If Tommy Stevens starts giving off Dak, JFF or Tebow vibes then SECN will be all over us.

drummerdawg
09-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Every other team is well represented? Missouri, KY, Vandy, TAMU, Georgia? What representation do they have among commentators?

Georgia has DJ Shockley and coach Landers. Vandy, Kentucky, and I think Mizzou have a couple basketball guys. Not sure about A&M

Maroonthirteen
09-03-2019, 01:24 PM

Maybe SECN will add a weather segment and we can get a weather person on there.***