PDA

View Full Version : Who is Hiring Mike Norvell This Off season? Tennessee, Ole Miss, or Auburn?

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 05:41 PM
Should be an interesting sweep stakes for him.

- I was thinking Auburn may go after Brohm, but that smell on that rose may be fading after Purdue's loss to Nevada
- Ole Miss would surely love to hire Norvell, but, if Tennessee offers, I'm sure he'd go there instead.
- I could also see South Carolina getting involved if things continue south in Columbia.

One week means virtually nothing, but it's conceivable that we see coaching changes at Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Arkansas, Vandy, South Carolina, & Mizzou. Obviously all those won't be open, the coaching in the league is currently crap & changes will happening sooner rather than later.

Should be an interesting sweepstakes for sure

Quaoarsking
09-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Definitely could see Hugh Freeze back in the SEC, unless he just feels called by God to stay at Liberty longterm.

If Auburn makes a coaching change, they'll probably give Art Briles a call.

defiantdog
09-01-2019, 05:51 PM
Tennessee

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Definitely could see Hugh Freeze back in the SEC, unless he just feels called by God to stay at Liberty longterm.

I just don't know if anyone can really hire that guy after that ridiculous stunt yesterday. How can you take that guy seriously?

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Tennessee

This is my thought as well. I would normally believe that Pruitt could get 1 more year, but after yesterday & with Norvell being such an obvious instate hire, it's hard to not see Tennessee making the move

RocketDawg
09-01-2019, 06:03 PM
I just don't know if anyone can really hire that guy after that ridiculous stunt yesterday. How can you take that guy seriously?

This is my thought as well. I would normally believe that Pruitt could get 1 more year, but after yesterday & with Norvell being such an obvious instate hire, it's hard to not see Tennessee making the move

The assistant coach must have been told to make a scene with Freeze at the end of the game. The whole thing was one of the stranger things I've ever seen.

Not sure Pruitt will make it through the year.

TrapGame
09-01-2019, 06:17 PM
I think Rich Rod is angling for OM HC but he has to at least get his offense showing some life.

Between OM and Tennessee it's like pick your own dumpster fire. Norvell may get a shot at a more stable program than those two.

RezDog7
09-01-2019, 06:54 PM

Would Hugh bring his hospital bed with him?

confucius say
09-01-2019, 07:00 PM
Hiring norvell could be quite the gamble.
Not sure I?d bet on that.

War Machine Dawg
09-01-2019, 07:03 PM
If we were smart, we'd hire him yesterday. But we aren't smart.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 07:04 PM
Hiring norvell could be quite the gamble.
Not sure I?d bet on that.

What's the gamble?

Apparently Memphis has no issues

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 07:06 PM

As evidenced by the excess of penalties in tutor gate, we are too morally superior to hire him*

War Machine Dawg
09-01-2019, 07:08 PM
Ass evidenced by the excess of penalties in tutor gate, we are too morally superior to hire him*

If what I suspect is true and Christmann is part of the tutoring suspensions, I don't think we win more than 6. Lawless looked like a bad Sun Belt kicker yesterday. And I might not be giving enough credit to Sun Belt kickers.

ATTILLA THE DOG
09-01-2019, 07:10 PM

Scott Satterfield was my choice

Tbonewannabe
09-01-2019, 07:12 PM
If what I suspect is true and Christmann is part of the tutoring suspensions, I don't think we win more than 6. Lawless looked like a bad Sun Belt kicker yesterday. And I might not be giving enough credit to Sun Belt kickers.

He was suspended for a DUI.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 07:13 PM

Christmann had a DUI. He's not part of Tutor Gate.

Additionally, you really think the loss of Christmann would effect us beating 3 of Kentucky, Ole Miss, Arkansas, & Tennessee?

Cooterpoot
09-01-2019, 07:14 PM
Norvell is meh. He’s nothing special.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 07:16 PM

I think OM & Tennessee would take "meh" right now honestly

Maroonthirteen
09-01-2019, 07:17 PM
If Tennessee continues down the same
Path, Phat Phil will fire Pruitt mid season and insert himself as Interim HC. Book it.

Maroonthirteen
09-01-2019, 07:20 PM

Got a buddy. His son is a recruit this year. He has visited many G5 offers and a few ACC. Norvell was down his list as coaches that impressed him. Take it for what it’s worth and One mans opinion.

Westdawg
09-01-2019, 07:20 PM
I don't think Norvell has gone "through the wash" enough over some of the things in his closet. He's getting close, and if he can get his offense rolling, there is a distinct possibility that this might be the season he jumps - but I think it takes one more season to show himself.
I don't think Tenn fires Pruitt after this season, but I would guarantee that after yesterday he's going to be given some clear benchmarks that he must meet. If he doesn't make a bowl game this season AND/OR he loses to Vandy again this year, he very well is out the door at the end of '19

confucius say
09-01-2019, 07:27 PM
What's the gamble?

Apparently Memphis has no issues

Rumor is he has/had gambling issues.

TNDawg35
09-01-2019, 07:33 PM

That’s the least of his worries...

Westdawg
09-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Should be an interesting sweep stakes for him.

- I was thinking Auburn may go after Brohm, but that smell on that rose may be fading after Purdue's loss to Nevada
- Ole Miss would surely love to hire Norvell, but, if Tennessee offers, I'm sure he'd go there instead.
- I could also see South Carolina getting involved if things continue south in Columbia.

One week means virtually nothing, but it's conceivable that we see coaching changes at Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Arkansas, Vandy, South Carolina, & Mizzou. Obviously all those won't be open, the coaching in the league is currently crap & changes will happening sooner rather than later.

Should be an interesting sweepstakes for sure

Vandy and Arkansas probably aren't shopping for a new guy this year. And Mizzou may not. USCe - it really depends on how Boom does this year. If he doesn't win 7, then he gets a really warm seat going into '20.
With the BARN, it's going to come down to how bat-crazy they are going into the Iron Bowl. If he loses to any two or more to MSU, LSU, and A&M then he may be out the door. I think he has to win at least 9.

Jack Lambert
09-01-2019, 07:42 PM

Auburn will make a coaching change.

DancingRabbit
09-01-2019, 07:57 PM
I doubt he goes to UT. The Memphis-Knoxville hate being what it is. Memphis has been good to him, he's not going to shit on them.

Quaoarsking
09-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Now I'm NOT saying that Briles is innocent or that all of his players were, of the 3 Baylor players who were arrested, one was found not guilty earlier this year and another had his conviction vacated over the summer.

Now these weren't the only 2 players accused, apparently that number is 31 (!) and 52 total accusers (!), and there is a 3rd player who was found guilty and is currently in long-term prison, but the developments this year probably give a sleazy program like Auburn enough cover to get away with hiring him

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Auburn will make a coaching change.

I don't know if we can assume this. Early returns indicate that Auburn may have a horseshoe up their ass season.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:25 PM
I don't know if we can assume this. Early returns indicate that Auburn may have a horseshoe up their ass season.

Is there a luckier team in college football?

Has any team in the country been the beneficiary of more lucky break than Auburn?

TUSK
09-01-2019, 09:09 PM

Has any team in the country been the beneficiary of more lucky break than Auburn?

The current horseshoe residing in Gus's ass was extracted from Les Miles's ass early January 2012.... He was the luckiest fvcker on the planet mid to late 2000s...

Coach34
09-01-2019, 09:13 PM
Auburn is going to win at least 9 and wont fire Malzahn. They are damn good. Oregon is really good too and may win the Pac-12.

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 09:13 PM

The current horseshoe residing in Gus's ass was extracted from Les Miles's ass early January 2012.... He was the luckiest fvcker on the planet mid to late 2000s...

Tusk is right. Although Les Miles is never going to ever be topped in the luck department.

I mean- it's like the clock is winding down under a minute in the fourth quarter and LSU is down by 5 so of course they line up for a field goal which would make ZERO mathematical sense to anyone above first grade. So of course Miles would run a fake FG and it would somehow work out where LSU scores a TD to win. At least that's what it seemed like would happen at least twice a year.

TUSK
09-01-2019, 09:19 PM
If Tennessee continues down the same
Path, Phat Phil will fire Pruitt mid season and insert himself as Interim HC. Book it.

Fact.

confucius say
09-01-2019, 09:25 PM
Auburn is going to win at least 9 and wont fire Malzahn. They are damn good. Oregon is really good too and may win the Pac-12.

They are not winning 9 in regular season. Maybe if you count a bowl game. 8-4 ceiling (at Aggie, at LSU, at fla, uga, bama).

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-01-2019, 09:43 PM
[/B]

So did Michael Jordan. Who gives a shit?

Coach34
09-01-2019, 10:16 PM
They are not winning 9 in regular season. Maybe if you count a bowl game. 8-4 ceiling (at Aggie, at LSU, at fla, uga, bama).

They are better than A&M and Fla

confucius say
09-01-2019, 10:20 PM
They are better than A&M and Fla

May be. But slightly better teams often don?t win on the road.

Bet is still there if you want it. You said 10-2. I said no way and offered $200. I?ll still offer $200 at 9-3 in regular season if you want it.

TUSK
09-01-2019, 10:32 PM
May be. But slightly better teams often don?t win on the road.

Bet is still there if you want it. You said 10-2. I said no way and offered $200. I?ll still offer $200 at 9-3 in regular season if you want it.

Pay attention, people... This^ is how it's done...

deadheaddawg
09-01-2019, 10:38 PM
[/B]

So did Michael Jordan. Who gives a shit?

If saban had a gambling problem nobody would give a shit.

Norvell isn't MJ or Saban.

Dawg61
09-01-2019, 11:57 PM
Auburn looks like an 8-4 team to me. Oregon was waxing that ass for 2.5 quarters.

Cooterpoot
09-02-2019, 12:46 AM
I think OM & Tennessee would take "meh" right now honestly

Neither would touch him. But Freezus will get some looks.

parabrave
09-02-2019, 01:36 AM

Will he want to go their? That will be their 10 coach in the last ten years** He will leave for AUBBIE or maybe FLastate when they buy out Tagg.

TALL DAWG
09-02-2019, 07:26 AM
Neither would touch him. But Freezus will get some looks.

Freeze-us is one strange beaver but Tenn may be all in on someone who can build a dam....

Rick Danko
09-02-2019, 08:10 AM
Hugh Freeze will never coach in the SEC again, and will probably need to go to the west coast to coach Power 5. That may be far enough to make the stink of what he did go away.

TrapGame
09-02-2019, 08:21 AM
Hugh Freeze will never coach in the SEC again, and will probably need to go to the west coast to coach Power 5. That may be far enough to make the stink of what he did go away.

Tennessee is getting desperate. Other than UT I don't see a SEC option for him. Now, I'm sure Memphis would snap him up if Norvell leaves. Hell, he'd probably take it to eff with ole miss.

thf24
09-02-2019, 08:43 AM
As a Memphian who follows that program fairly closely, I'm not sold at all on Norvell. He had a former SEC QB two of his first three seasons here, and Memphis brings in a deceptively decent level of talent for the league they play in by nature of the local area. Remains to be seen in my opinion if Norvell is the one working miracles, or if it's simply a leadership revolution in the athletic department allowing Memphis to reach their potential average similar to us in the late 2000's, because that's something that's also been in progress the last 5-6 years.

Cooterpoot
09-02-2019, 08:48 AM
Everybody thought Fuente was great and he’s been disappointing. Success at Memphis is a byproduct of a shitty league. Norvell has lost every bowl game. He’s not a top coaching prospect. He’s fools gold.

Dawg61
09-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Tennessee isn't hiring the weirdo that used to coach at Briarcrest located in TENNESSEE. Pruitt will get minimum 3 years.

Lord McBuckethead
09-02-2019, 10:37 AM
Christmann had a DUI. He's not part of Tutor Gate.

Additionally, you really think the loss of Christmann would effect us beating 3 of Kentucky, Ole Miss, Arkansas, & Tennessee?

You might be right, but then you are telling me that some of the cheating m17ers didnt use game one as one of their 8 games? That strategy is stupid as hell. Now they have to sit against an extra sec school.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2019, 10:38 AM
You might be right, but then you are telling me that some of the cheating m17ers didnt use game one as one of their 8 games? That strategy is stupid as hell. Now they have to sit against an extra sec school.

Which cheaters played on Saturday?

Players not on the 2 deep aren't listed in suspensions. No one from Tutor gate played Saturday

Memphisbulldog
09-02-2019, 08:16 PM
That?s the least of his worries...

How confident are you of this? I know several people REAL close to UM and none of them have a clue about this supposed "issue".

Todd4State
09-02-2019, 08:44 PM
Here's the thing about Freeze....

Nevermind the obvious baggage- what has he done with players that obviously weren't bought? And even with that talented group he lost three games including one to Memphis. That's about what Joe did last year with the same amount of first round picks and our fans are up in arms over it. Yet Freeze is a great coach? He went 5-7 his last year there, and 7-6 with players that weren't as talented in his first year there. He won at Arkansas State with someone else's players. And he just got shut out all the while embarrassing himself by coaching a game in a hospital bed.

Why would Tennessee or any other program not named Ole Miss want that?

I bet there are a lot of high school coaches out there that could have done at least as well as Freeze did if not better with the talent he had at Ole Miss.

Homedawg
09-02-2019, 08:57 PM

Where do you get your info? Christman isn't involved in tutor gate.

Homedawg
09-02-2019, 09:01 PM

All 10 sat out the game. How many times does this have to be said???

Fader21
09-02-2019, 09:01 PM

I said within 3 years he will be at Southern Miss

TrapGame
09-02-2019, 09:04 PM
I said within 3 years he will be at Southern Miss

Jay Hopson going back home to the Plantation?

Cooterpoot
09-02-2019, 09:14 PM
Jay Hopson going back home to the Plantation?

USM fans hate Hopson.

TrapGame
09-02-2019, 09:18 PM
USM fans hate Hopson.

Really? Why?