PDA

View Full Version : From 14 hours of watching college football Saturday...

Rick Cleveland
09-01-2019, 05:29 PM
My thoughts:

https://mississippitoday.org/2019/09/01/sunday-college-football-review-including-refrigerating-players-coaching-from-a-bed/

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 05:36 PM
I don't think the reviews on Stevens were mixed for anyone that watched the game

TaleofTwoDogs
09-01-2019, 06:35 PM
I don't think the reviews on Stevens were mixed for anyone that watched the game

Then you weren't watching the same game. Stevens had a solid game but not great. Should improve as the season progresses.

Lord McBuckethead
09-01-2019, 06:47 PM
Considering it was his first start in 5 years, dude did a pretty good job. He will grow fast these next 4 weeks.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Then you weren't watching the same game. Stevens had a solid game but not great. Should improve as the season progresses.

I mean, he missed a few bombs, but what was the mixed bag?

R2Dawg
09-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Tend to agree shotgun; he didn't play a perfect game but what college QB does. Stevens looked real good and looked as good as any QB we've had in a long time.

If Tommy improves like he will, watch out, the MSU O might be about to take off.

BiscuitEater
09-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Enjoyed the article BUT have to disagree with this part .. "Say what you want, Freeze’s unusual coaching situation Saturday garnered much badly needed publicity nationally for Liberty, both on TV and in print."

That was a 'clown act' stunt that has been ridiculed by most. If he was as too sick with staph, to get out of a hospital bed, NO Dr. would EVER let him out to a stadium.

Doggie_Style
09-01-2019, 08:11 PM

I was at the game and felt like TS was inconsistent at times...he threw some great balls but missed some as as well. He had the overthrow that would have been a TD reminiscent of Fitz and missed Gardner on a rollout that also might have gone for a score....it’s one game and difficult to know how he will progress form here....I’m cautiously optimistic....I’m much more concerned about the defense

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:18 PM
I was at the game and felt like TS was inconsistent at times...he threw some great balls but missed some as as well. He had the overthrow that would have been a TD reminiscent of Fitz and missed Gardner on a rollout that also might have gone for a score....it’s one game and difficult to know how he will progress form here....I’m cautiously optimistic....I’m much more concerned about the defense

I think I saw it better on TV than you did in person.

Yes, he missed a few in the way the EVERY QB on the planet misses some. Overall, he played well & everyone should be excited about what we saw Saturday. He has feel & accuracy.

Damn guys, you're sounding like Cowboys fans with Dak. If he doesn't have a 100% completion percentage, someone isn't a believer. Stop watching the damn result of the play & watch his ingredients. Size, feel, feet, arm strength, accuracy, vision, etc.

gravedigger
09-01-2019, 08:20 PM
I was at the game and felt like TS was inconsistent at times...he threw some great balls but missed some as as well. He had the overthrow that would have been a TD reminiscent of Fitz and missed Gardner on a rollout that also might have gone for a score....it?s one game and difficult to know how he will progress form here....I?m cautiously optimistic....I?m much more concerned about the defense

so what is the standard you are measuring him by here? That he not miss ANY passes?

Doggie_Style
09-01-2019, 08:32 PM
so what is the standard you are measuring him by here? That he not miss ANY passes?

Look, Fitz looked like a Heisman winner against UL...Stevens looked good I just want to see him against a legitimate team before crowning him the second coming....our D looked like shit

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Look, Fitz looked like a Heisman winner against UL...Stevens looked good I just want to see him against a legitimate team before crowning him the second coming....our D looked like shit

So you're only capable of looking at stats & the result of a play & unable of actually evaluating a player on physical attributes?

of course everyone wants to see him vs good competition, but we'd have nothing to talk about if we're just sitting around waiting for the Auburn game in a month

msstate7
09-01-2019, 08:36 PM

Yes, he missed a few in the way the EVERY QB on the planet misses some. Overall, he played well & everyone should be excited about what we saw Saturday. He has feel & accuracy.

Damn guys, you're sounding like Cowboys fans with Dak. If he doesn't have a 100% completion percentage, someone isn't a believer. Stop watching the damn result of the play & watch his ingredients. Size, feel, feet, arm strength, accuracy, vision, etc.

Just curious... are you gonna judge the results when he (and our whole team) lay an egg on the plains?

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:38 PM
Just curious... are you gonna judge the results when he (and our whole team) lay an egg on the plains?

So you think we're going to lay an egg on the plains?

msstate7
09-01-2019, 08:40 PM

Yes, I think auburn rolls

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:41 PM

Ok. Cool.

What does have to do with Stevens?

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:42 PM

do you ever get tired of finding & seeing the negative in every situation? I get upset with the best of them, but usually find some hope. You just stay negative. Does that get exhausting?

Jack Lambert
09-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Missed in all this talk about Stevens we have forgotten Mitchell. That dude has improved!

Doggie_Style
09-01-2019, 08:43 PM
So you're only capable of looking at stats & the result of a play & unable of actually evaluating a player on physical attributes?

of course everyone wants to see him vs good competition, but we'd have nothing to talk about if we're just sitting around waiting for the Auburn game in a month

I’m saying he looked OK playing a crap team....I have no idea what he will look like against real competition.... it’s a strange situation actually since he’s a 5th year guy with little experience

msstate7
09-01-2019, 08:44 PM
Missed in all this talk about Stevens we have forgotten Mitchell. That dude has improved!

He's our best wr

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:44 PM

That tends to happen when they aren't catching off target bowling balls

defiantdog
09-01-2019, 08:45 PM

One thing that impressed me about Stevens was when he looked at Hill to check down a throw then immediately looked down field and hit Williams for about 25 yards. We haven't had a QB check off the check down in ages.

Liverpooldawg

Best looking QB at MSU I've seen other than Dak.

ShotgunDawg
I?m saying he looked OK playing a crap team....I have no idea what he will look like against real competition.... it?s a strange situation actually since he?s a 5th year guy with little experience

I'm not sure how crap of a team they are. When you return that many OL, they'll probably win a good many games in that league. I know we killed them last year, but they are significantly better this year

msstate7
09-01-2019, 08:46 PM
do you ever get tired of finding & seeing the negative in every situation? I get upset with the best of them, but usually find some hope. You just stay negative. Does that get exhausting?

My tank is full.

I'm sorry that I'm not seeing a lot to get excited about beating a crap team in the sunbelt. If we dominate the next 2 weeks, I'll feel better

Liverpooldawg
09-01-2019, 08:47 PM
Enjoyed the article BUT have to disagree with this part .. "Say what you want, Freeze?s unusual coaching situation Saturday garnered much badly needed publicity nationally for Liberty, both on TV and in print."

That was a 'clown act' stunt that has been ridiculed by most. If he was as too sick with staph, to get out of a hospital bed, NO Dr. would EVER let him out to a stadium.

Exactly. It was fake as heck. Typical Freeze.

ShotgunDawg
One thing that impressed me about Stevens was when he looked at Hill to check down a throw then immediately looked down field and hit Williams for about 25 yards. We haven't had a QB check off the check down in ages.

No doubt.

i don't know how good our team will be, but I was really impressed with Stevens yesterday. I think he's going to be really good & has the raw skill set to potentially make an NFL roster next year.

From a tools standpoint, he checks a ton of boxes.

ShotgunDawg
My tank is full.

I'm sorry that I'm not seeing a lot to get excited about beating a crap team in the sunbelt. If we dominate the next 2 weeks, I'll feel better

Ok. deal.

I'm holding you too that

Liverpooldawg
09-01-2019, 08:48 PM

Auburn wins, and it won't be close.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:49 PM

Yes. Dak is more athletic & likely a better leader, but from an accuracy & touch standpoint, I'm not sure Stevens isn't more talented.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:50 PM
Auburn wins, and it won't be close.

Maybe, but that won't have much to do with Stevens IMO. It'll be because they run for 400 yards

msstate7
09-01-2019, 08:51 PM
Maybe, but that won't have much to do with Stevens IMO. It'll be because they run for 400 yards

Right bc Stevens is better than the cowboys' starting QB. Maybe you're getting a little carried away about a win over a terrible opponent

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:54 PM
Right bc Stevens is better than the cowboys' starting QB. Maybe you're getting a little carried away about a win over a terrible opponent

Goodness gracious.

I'm done conversing with you. It's not worth having to explain something to someone who either lacks the ability to understand it or chooses not to in order to always be the "gotcha" guy

Doggie_Style
09-01-2019, 09:00 PM

He’s a 5th year senior making his first college start against a crap team....I just willing to temper my excitement until I see playing in a meaningful game

msstate7
09-01-2019, 09:01 PM
Goodness gracious.

I'm done conversing with you. It's not worth having to explain something to someone who either lacks the ability to understand it or chooses not to in order to always be the "gotcha" guy

Dak career comp % in nfl is 66.1%. Yeah though, Tommy's 67% shoes he's more accurate than state's best ever

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 09:07 PM
Dak career comp % in nfl is 66.1%. Yeah though, Tommy's 67% shoes he's more accurate than state's best ever

I never said that Stevens was better than Dak. That's ridiculous. All I said is that is more talented with a few of his tools. That means raw talent.

You took that & went full dumbass for what reason? Why?

msstate7
09-01-2019, 09:09 PM
I never said that Stevens was better than Dak. That's ridiculous. All I said is that is more talented with a few of his tools. That means raw talent.

You took that & went full dumbass for what reason? Why?

More talented from accuracy and touch standpoint - your words, not mine

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 09:12 PM

Yes. I stand by that. That doesn't mean Stevens is in anyway a better QB though.

You surely understand that right?

TaleofTwoDogs
09-01-2019, 11:27 PM

How did we go from "mixed reviews" to Dak comparisons? All I'm saying is that TS made enough miscues that might cause some mixed reviews which simply means that he performed well at times and sometimes not. If you have the game recorded, take some time to slow it down and watch the QB play. I think you will see both good and bad. For example on one play, TS got sacked because of down field coverage but he did not go through his progressions because Hill was open as an outlet. If I remember correctly, we roasted Fritz for not going through his looks before running or taking the sack.

Cooterpoot
09-02-2019, 12:49 AM
I mean, he missed a few bombs, but what was the mixed bag?

He was slow to throw the ball at times. Missed several deep balls. Doesn?t feel pressure. Late deciding to run.
But he showed decent touch and correct reads. He just needs live reps.

Turfdawg67
09-02-2019, 08:30 AM

He's on the LSU/Auburn train now that his Vols laid a big ole egg! Hahahaha!

Turfdawg67
09-02-2019, 08:36 AM
Goodness gracious.

Come on "mane", he's running out of people!

Hypnodawg
09-02-2019, 09:44 AM
TS isn't close in the running ability to Dak or Fitz. He was able to put some nice touch on the ball so that it wasn't impossible to catch for people that are only 10 yd away. He missed some wide open receivers and that is the bigger point of the game. We had receivers without defenders within 10 yd of them.I haven't seen State receivers that open in a decade. Are States receivers that good, the offensive scheming that great, or the raging Cajuns DB's that bad? I'm leaning towards their DB's being that bad but we will find out soon.

TrapGame
09-02-2019, 10:19 AM
He?s a 5th year senior making his first college start against a crap team....I just willing to temper my excitement until I see playing in a meaningful game

That crap team is probably going 9-3 and winning the Sun Belt. Now, Georgia State is a crap team.

ShotgunDawg
09-02-2019, 10:29 AM
He?s a 5th year senior making his first college start against a crap team....I just willing to temper my excitement until I see playing in a meaningful game

Again, it's about his touch, accuracy, athleticism, & size. Doesn't matter who he is playing against to recognize those ingredients

RougeDawg
09-05-2019, 12:09 AM

What I saw in Stevens Saturday from the endzone, was the best MSU QB I?ve ever seen that has the ability to progress through progressions and throw a ball where only we can catch the ball. His progressions were better than Dak ever was in college. Some missed and ?lookout? blocks on the left side of the line led to the sacks and bad plays. Sure that up and Ts will be very good.

As I posted in a couple of post games threads, the way he throws the ball is not normal for a college QB. He throws the quick hitter passes in a downward manner. Meaning he gets on top of the throw and then ball is angled downward as it approaches the receiver. If the receiver does not catch it, the ball most likely hits the ground. It does not get tipped in the air for an easy interception.

With regard to the touch passes, he is equally as good as Dak, probably better. His anticipation throws are as good as you can expect from a first time starter.

I love Dak and everything he did for us. TS has all of those tools and more. He just needs time and experience.

MrKotter
09-05-2019, 07:24 AM
Goodness gracious.

Ms7 doesn?t understand how discussions on a single topic work and thinks video game football equates to real world. It?s best to add the mindless twit to your ignore list and move on.