PDA

View Full Version : On to usm

msstate7
09-01-2019, 01:28 PM
Don't know a lot about them other than they had a damn good defense last year (#3 nationally in total defense), and jack Abraham was good (top 30 nationally in passer rating and comp %). Do they have anything? Is this a decent warm up game for sec play?

Coach007
09-01-2019, 01:50 PM
Don't know a lot about them other than they had a damn good defense last year (#3 nationally in total defense), and jack Abraham was good (top 30 nationally in passer rating and comp %). Do they have anything? Is this a decent warm up game for sec play?

For our Offense.... Better than yesterday. They did, however, allow Alcorn 219 yards of offense.

For our Defense. ... All the experience we can get.

Our defense will face more of a passing attack. He threw it 300 yards, but they could only manage 96 rushing against alcorn.

DownwardDawg
09-01-2019, 01:55 PM
I honestly have no idea what to make of this first week. I would love to think we’ll beat them easily but yesterday has certainly tempered my excitement. If both teams get better like happens most of the time after week one, I like us to win comfortably simply based on talent.

Captain Falcon
09-01-2019, 02:02 PM
They scored two offensive TD?s against a SWAC team last night. I?ll be disappointed if our defense doesn?t have a noticeably better showing against them.

Defensively they will challenge us. This could be a good barometer for what to expect from our offense in SEC play.

Different kind of challenge this week but I still expect a fairly comfortable win by 2-3 scores. Don?t be surprised if a week from now the narrative is totally flipped and people feel OK about our defense but are freaking out about the offense.

If I had to pick a final score, I?d probably say something like 31-13 or 28-10.

Coach007
09-01-2019, 02:43 PM
I honestly have no idea what to make of this first week. I would love to think we’ll beat them easily but yesterday has certainly tempered my excitement. If both teams get better like happens most of the time after week one, I like us to win comfortably simply based on talent.

Put it all in focus of a full picture.

1- Had we capitalized on the turnover early, this game could look way different. So what happened?

- we produced a first down to their 23... We are looking for points and
- Then Tommy is sacked and fumbled. That was 100% on him. He did not hold it too long and had his man. He failed to see the blitz in presnap and made no adjustments.

THAT is an easy clean up detail.

2- We stop them and now on their 38.

- Guidry ran the wrong route. Tommy had him. and that would have been close to a TD.

That is an easy clean up too.

My point is, there were enough things on Offense that would have made the score way out of reach in the 4th. Small, correctable things that we should EXPECT to be better each week.

3- On the next possesion, We get it at our 15 and march 78 yards. Missed FG because of a 1 game suspension. They stopped us on 1st,2nd,and 3rd and goal.

So as you can see, Our offense is way better than even the score shows. Just small mistakes that tend to get better as the season goes.

On Defense:

1- From #2 above... We held them to a 3 and out. They punt.... Dixon touches the ball... they get it back on our 15 yard line.

That is correctable.... Should have never happened then and better not happen again.

So on a 15 yard march, 9 were from 1 pass... not even against the run.

2- Next possession... We almost had a sack, QB ended up gaining a first. 2 plays later, He is sacked and a fumble forced... MS St ball. We score. and the next possession.. we scored.

3- at this point 14-7 (should have been not close)... HERE is where I want to know who was in on the defense. Through the 1st Quarter.... 46 yards TOTAL offense. Up to this point in the 2nd quarter, total 68 yards of offense..... In 1 drive, they literally double their total offense PLUS one yard. It was a 69 yard march. And it was balanced... NOT just the run. 47 of the 69 was in passing. So who was on the field. We played a lot of young guys. But Crumedy and Lovett were starters in that 1st quarter... Were they in here? or not....etc

Again, I don't think the sky is falling

Quaoarsking
09-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Do they have a single player that had a scholarship offer from us and picked them instead?

Commercecomet24
09-01-2019, 02:48 PM
Usm rushed for 41 yards at 2 ypc against alcorn last night. They're top wr is suspended. Their offense is not good.Their defense is good but it's not an sec defense.

confucius say
09-01-2019, 02:50 PM

1- Had we capitalized on the turnover early, this game could look way different. So what happened?

- Then Tommy is sacked and fumbled. That was 100% on him. He did not hold it too long and had his man. He failed to see the blitz in presnap and made no adjustments.

- Guidry ran the wrong route. Tommy had him. and that would have been close to a TD.

My point is, there were enough things on Offense that would have made the score way out of reach in the 4th. Small, correctable things that we should EXPECT to be better each week.

3- On the next possesion, We get it at our 15 and march 78 yards. Missed FG because of a 1 game suspension. They stopped us on 1st,2nd,and 3rd and goal.

So as you can see, Our offense is way better than even the score shows. Just small mistakes that tend to get better as the season goes.

On Defense:

1- From #2 above... We held them to a 3 and out. They punt.... Dixon touches the ball... they get it back on our 15 yard line.

That is correctable.... Should have never happened then and better not happen again.

2- Next possession... We almost had a sack, QB ended up gaining a first. 2 plays later, He is sacked and a fumble forced... MS St ball. We score. and the next possession.. we scored.

3- at this point 14-7 (should have been not close)... HERE is where I want to know who was in on the defense. Through the 1st Quarter.... 46 yards TOTAL offense. Up to this point in the 2nd quarter, total 68 yards of offense..... In 1 drive, they literally double their total offense PLUS one yard. It was a 69 yard march. And it was balanced... NOT just the run. 47 of the 69 was in passing. So who was on the field. We played a lot of young guys. But Crumedy and Lovett were starters in that 1st quarter... Were they in here? or not....etc

If Cole picks the ball up and runs to the end zone instead of falling on it at midfield the game is 14-0 and prob over. It was fourth down, never just fall on that.

Coach007
09-01-2019, 03:00 PM
If Cole picks the ball up and runs to the end zone instead of falling on it at midfield the game is 14-0 and prob over. It was fourth down, never just fall on that.

That's right. Game was not as close as the score reflected.

No sugar coating though, certain rotations sucked and I'm trying to find that out!

msu15
09-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Do they have a single player that had a scholarship offer from us and picked them instead?

I don’t think that’s happened since 2009 with the RB from Wayne County.

Bothrops
09-01-2019, 03:37 PM
This game will be a blowout and give us a false sense of security going into K-State. KSU could give us a shootout.

was21
09-01-2019, 04:42 PM
Talent wise we have the advantage. The question is whether or not we have the "want to" that they will certainly have....better be ready...take care of business on each down

Rick Danko
09-01-2019, 04:58 PM

On Defense:

Take your sense and logic over to Genespage or Bulldawg Junction, we don?t go for that shit over here....

Coach007
09-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Take your sense and logic over to Genespage or Bulldawg Junction, we don?t go for that shit over here....

LOL!

But seriously... Never heard of Bulldawg Junction

defiantdog
09-01-2019, 05:49 PM

On Defense:

They caught us in zone a lot. We gave the QB too much time to extend the play, which allowed the receivers to find pockets to get open. Also, they ran sweeps all day. Nothing up the middle. This would've been the same gameplan against Simmons and Sweat. We just need to be more disciplined on the edges and attack the ball more.

PMDawg
09-01-2019, 05:55 PM

People will be mad, but I expect them to play above their heads and keep it close. Probably a bit lower scoring, but similar to yesterday.

If they come out and dominate, and put the game away quickly (by the 3rd or so), then I will feel a lot differently about the team.

CadaverDawg
09-01-2019, 06:23 PM
I think USM lost their starting RB on the first series last night, and will be missing their best WR Saturday as someone mentioned. If they run the ball on us I will be concerned bc they couldn't on Alcorn. Their D is solid but nowhere near SEC caliber. A one dimensional team playing into our secondary strength, plus home field, plus a now balanced offensive attack..... we should pound these guys. I'm expecting something in the neighborhood of 41-13 or so.

Would love to see Shrader and Witherspoon play the 4th quarter because the game is in hand.

DownwardDawg
09-01-2019, 06:36 PM

On Defense:

Very good breakdown. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do that. You are the best poster on this board right now.

DownwardDawg
09-01-2019, 06:39 PM
LOL!

But seriously... Never heard of Bulldawg Junction

It was the best board State fans have ever had. Unfortunately it was owned by an idiot. It’s gone now.

TrapGame
09-01-2019, 06:40 PM
I think USM lost their starting RB on the first series last night, and will be missing their best WR Saturday as someone mentioned. If they run the ball on us I will be concerned bc they couldn't on Alcorn. Their D is solid but nowhere near SEC caliber. A one dimensional team playing into our secondary strength, plus home field, plus a now balanced offensive attack..... we should pound these guys. I'm expecting something in the neighborhood of 41-13 or so.

Would love to see Shrader and Witherspoon play the 4th quarter because the game is in hand.

I know we've always heard that teams have huge improvement from week one to week two. It's going to be tough on USM's offense with the their top RB and WR out. I'd love to see our offense take another step this weekend. Tommy hitting a couple or three deep passes to O or Zuber would be sweet. I expect Kylin will have a monster game.

99jc
09-01-2019, 06:40 PM
Very good breakdown. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do that. You are the best poster on this board right now.

Don't let shotgun hear you say that. He will break down crying and ask for an apologyl

Westdawg
09-01-2019, 08:08 PM
I don’t think that’s happened since 2009 with the RB from Wayne County.

There was an OL that chose to go there over committing to us because his girlfriend was down there.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-01-2019, 08:15 PM
I agree we have lot of small things we can clean up... but lets not forget ULL had their fair share of screw ups too. Their QB missed a wide open man that would've been a TD, they blew a couple defensive assignments (Tommy's 1st TD comes to mind), and they had FIVE TURNOVERS.

So yes, had we played clean we'd have put it away, but if they played clean they'd have probably won. We will get better overall but so will everyone soo.... let's hope we get better faster? For the record before I get accused of being a debbie downer I expect to start 4-0 this year

msstate7
09-01-2019, 11:03 PM
Jack Abraham is interesting stat wise. He was #30 nationally last season in passer rating and #123 in QBR.

Todd4State
09-02-2019, 12:00 AM
Jack Abraham is interesting stat wise. He was #30 nationally last season in passer rating and #123 in QBR.

Accurate on short passes I suppose? Accurate but with a ton of INT's and few TD's?

basedog
09-02-2019, 07:20 AM
Accurate on short passes I suppose? Accurate but with a ton of INT's and few TD's?

What was the schedule rating last year for Usm, I mean Abrams is ok but not Sec quality.

BuckyIsAB****
09-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Yes. They are going to be a good team. Their defense has some kids that could play for us. They could beat Kansas State

basedog
09-03-2019, 07:29 AM
Yes. They are going to be a good team. Their defense has some kids that could play for us. They could beat Kansas State

Maybe or maybe not. Not sure about Usm and depth, yes stats were decent last year, but competition they played was soft.

Cooterpoot
09-03-2019, 08:10 AM
I’m sorry, but USM sucks. The defense built up their numbers vs terrible competition and their offense is a joke. If this game is close, we won’t win 7 this year.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2019, 08:28 AM
I agree we have lot of small things we can clean up... but lets not forget ULL had their fair share of screw ups too. Their QB missed a wide open man that would've been a TD, they blew a couple defensive assignments (Tommy's 1st TD comes to mind), and they had FIVE TURNOVERS.

So yes, had we played clean we'd have put it away, but if they played clean they'd have probably won. We will get better overall but so will everyone soo.... let's hope we get better faster? For the record before I get accused of being a debbie downer I expect to start 4-0 this year

Go watch Matt Wyatt's breakdown of that play, it was open because of how we ran the play. It wasn't just a busted coverage.

DownwardDawg
09-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Don't let shotgun hear you say that. He will break down crying and ask for an apologyl

Haha!!

I’m sorry shotgun. There.

TrapGame
09-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Go watch Matt Wyatt's breakdown of that play, it was open because of how we ran the play. It wasn't just a busted coverage.

More people need to do this including Bo Bounds. His take on the game this am was way off. It's like he watched the game at the Super Dome, made some mental notes and wrote them down before he went on the air. Matt's breakdown makes Bo look like a rank amateur.

Jack Lambert
09-03-2019, 08:51 AM

Yeah but the guy who helped him get there is gone for this game.

Jack Lambert
09-03-2019, 08:52 AM
More people need to do this including Bo Bounds. His take on the game this am was way off. It's like he watched the game at the Super Dome, made some mental notes and wrote them down before he went on the air. Matt's breakdown makes Bo look like a rank amateur.

Bo makes himself loo like a rank amateur.

TrapGame
09-03-2019, 09:19 AM
Bo makes himself loo like a rank amateur.

So true. It was bad this morning Jack.

Scared_Hitless
09-03-2019, 09:29 AM
We beat USM and cover. I think our we match up very well, they have a good defense, but we will maul them with our line and Kylin. Tommy will make more plays then last week and we score 30+ and our defense as bad as they looked will be improved and USM is garbage on offense. We hold them under 14. On to KState who I believe is a real challenge.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2019, 09:46 AM
We beat USM and cover. I think our we match up very well, they have a good defense, but we will maul them with our line and Kylin. Tommy will make more plays then last week and we score 30+ and our defense as bad as they looked will be improved and USM is garbage on offense. We hold them under 14. On to KState who I believe is a real challenge.

Our defense is so young on the line that it wouldn't surprise me if this game is closer than the spread. As long as we win then it will be a good ramp up for our offense to go against a good defense. I think that ULL team will end up winning 8-9 games and play in the Sunbelt Championship game like they did last year. That was a good Oline to have our Dline cut their teeth against. It will be interesting to see if KT plays or if he will be saved as a backup for 4 big SEC games and take a redshirt.

TrapGame
09-03-2019, 09:56 AM

Who's coaching K State now? It will be interesting to see how they play under a first year head coach.

Our defense is so young on the line that it wouldn't surprise me if this game is closer than the spread. As long as we win then it will be a good ramp up for our offense to go against a good defense. I think that ULL team will end up winning 8-9 games and play in the Sunbelt Championship game like they did last year. That was a good Oline to have our Dline cut their teeth against. It will be interesting to see if KT plays or if he will be saved as a backup for 4 big SEC games and take a redshirt.

USM's offense will be missing some key play makers. And I don't think their QB is as mobile and agile as ULL's. USM's defense is pretty good for CUSA. They got a few dudes who'd play for us. If our OL can open up some big holes for KH we're in good shape.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Who's coaching K State now? It will be interesting to see how they play under a first year head coach.

USM's offense will be missing some key play makers. And I don't think their QB is as mobile and agile as ULL's. USM's defense is pretty good for CUSA. They got a few dudes who'd play for us. If our OL can open up some big holes for KH we're in good shape.

I think this could be a 21-10 type game especially if USM's defense is legit and we just pound the rock and shorten the game. Smart move would be to try and keep our defense off the field since we are short on DT depth.

Scared_Hitless
09-03-2019, 10:09 AM

I just dont see USM having much success moving the ball after struggling to gain traction against Alcorn. They are very limited offensively.

Coach34
09-03-2019, 10:19 AM
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1168893912066351104https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1168893912066351104https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1168893912066351104

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2019, 10:26 AM
https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1168893912066351104https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1168893912066351104https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1168893912066351104

I think it will be a 21-10 or 24-14 type of game. USM has a good defense but ours will look better against a team that couldn't run the ball on Alcorn St.

CadaverDawg
09-03-2019, 10:32 AM
We will end USM's streak Saturday

JoseBrown
09-03-2019, 12:23 PM
It was the best board State fans have ever had. Unfortunately it was owned by an idiot. It?s gone now.

I agree with you! There was some good come from it though. It's the first time I found out about Paul Jones. I've followed him everywhere he's been since. Nice guy too. But yea MW and idiot I've heard together before...