PDA

View Full Version : Something to Consider From Yesterday's Game

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 01:24 PM
If you believe that recruiting rankings are pretty bad at projecting OL talent, then it's conceivable that a G5 school has offensive linemen that could start for you & may play in the NFL?

FWIW, ULL has the 3rd most experienced offensive line in college football & they were going against a number of MSU DL that were making the first start of their career.

Here is Phil Steele's chart on it.

https://philsteele.com/2019/06/25/2019-career-starts-offensive-line/

Also, here is where future MSU opponents rank on this chart

ULL - 3
USM - 14
Kansas St - 17
Kentucky - 82
Auburn - 12
Tennessee - 52
LSU - 43
A&M - 52
Arkansas - 111
Ole Miss - 117
Alabama - 95

BrunswickDawg
09-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Interesting. We check in at 49th, which is good for 5th in the SEC.

msstate7
09-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Delete

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Interesting. We check in at 49th, which is good for 5th in the SEC.

Yeah, we're pretty average on starts, but our next guys are guys that have played a lot. We are more experienced than our starts indicate.

With that being said, ULL had a boat load of guys that have been through wars together playing against our guys that we were hoping went the right way.

That being said, my guess is if we played ULL in a month, we'd may shut them down, but yesterday it was complete mismatch in fundamentals.

Honestly, it may have been a great experience for our young guys to face that yesterday. It's plausible that they won't face a more fundamentally sound & executing OL all year

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 01:43 PM
Delete

Oh boy. I'm worried which stat you were about to pull out of your ass...

msstate7
09-01-2019, 01:45 PM

Haha... i misread. Thought Phil Steele ranked Bama at #95 oline, and I strongly disagreed.

DownwardDawg
09-01-2019, 02:11 PM

Hahaha!!! That literally made me lol!!!

TUSK
09-01-2019, 07:54 PM
does anyone else see the Auto Fill Excel Error in the data in that link???

Cooterpoot
09-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Experience doesn’t equal talent.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Experience doesn’t equal talent.

Agree very much, but an offensive line with a ton of experience can cover up a ton of talent issues. Especially against a young DL.

I'm glad our DL went against an OL that was so experienced. I think it destroys some false confidence & will help them get better faster

TUSK
09-01-2019, 08:09 PM
My favorite stat in there was Bammer being ranked #30 in the SEC... I know we lost some good, experienced guys, but 30th outta 14 seems a lil harsh...

Topbulldawg
09-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I see it too. Makes me question a little bit some of his other work.

Jack Lambert
09-01-2019, 08:35 PM
Agree very much, but an offensive line with a ton of experience can cover up a ton of talent issues. Especially against a young DL.

I'm glad our DL went against an OL that was so experienced. I think it destroys some false confidence & will help them get better faster

ULL five interior lineman have a combine 136 starts. That means something. Not just in experience but in unity and knowing how to block as a unit.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 08:40 PM
ULL five interior lineman have a combine 136 starts. That means something. Not just in experience but in unity and knowing how to block as a unit.

Of course it means something, but we have stupid fans that only want to see the bad in everything & never attempt to find any hope in the situation.

I have no issue finding the bad, but it's important to also try to find a reason that can bring hope

Alphadog2017
09-01-2019, 08:44 PM
If you believe that recruiting rankings are pretty bad at projecting OL talent, then it's conceivable that a G5 school has offensive linemen that could start for you & may play in the NFL?

FWIW, ULL has the 3rd most experienced offensive line in college football & they were going against a number of MSU DL that were making the first start of their career.

Here is Phil Steele's chart on it.

https://philsteele.com/2019/06/25/2019-career-starts-offensive-line/

Also, here is where future MSU opponents rank on this chart

ULL - 3
USM - 14
Kansas St - 17
Kentucky - 82
Auburn - 12
Tennessee - 52
LSU - 43
A&M - 52
Arkansas - 111
Ole Miss - 117
Alabama - 95

Some things to consider.

1. How many times did you see Cole blitz?
2. How many times did any of the Lb?s blitz?
3. How many times did Capri or Morgan blitz?
4. I only saw corners blitz yesterday.

Shoop kept it very vanilla on D for some reason yesterday.

TUSK
09-01-2019, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I see it too. Makes me question a little bit some of his other work.

Steele's work is usually informative and unbiased... they just had an egghead intern drop the ball on this piece...

BorneDawg
09-01-2019, 10:24 PM
Some things to consider.

1. How many times did you see Cole blitz?
2. How many times did any of the Lb?s blitz?
3. How many times did Capri or Morgan blitz?
4. I only saw corners blitz yesterday.

Shoop kept it very vanilla on D for some reason yesterday.

Could it be here wanted to not give future opponents film to prepare with?

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 11:04 PM
Could it be here wanted to not give future opponents film to prepare with?

I don't understand the point in that even if that was the case. Everything we do or want to do is going to be on film at some point. It's more beneficial to us to run it in a live game situation than to sit on it.

BorneDawg
09-02-2019, 08:34 AM
I don't understand the point in that even if that was the case. Everything we do or want to do is going to be on film at some point. It's more beneficial to us to run it in a live game situation than to sit on it.

Maybe he knew how weak we are and is taking a gamble on the games we should win without showing our hand. Maybe we don't show much the next few games unless we have to. Give our inexperienced dl time to figure a few things out and when we get to Auburn and TN break out the whole blitz package. Is this what he's doing .... Prob not but we can always hope it is!