PDA

View Full Version : Some Quick Thoughts From Yesterday & College Football

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 12:43 PM
1. The coaching in the SEC right now sucks. It sucks as bad as I've seen in my life time. Nick Saban is incredible but he defeating rudderless ships right now. Absolutely pathetic hires across the entire conference over the past 5 years.

2. Just rewatched the 1st half of our game. Stevens - Good, WRs - Better, Kylin - Really good, just wish he'd break more runs - OL - Good - DL - No playmakers - LB - No playmakers, Tons of arm tackling. Biggest issue is that just don't currently have a disruptor in the front 7. ULL is extremely well coached & experienced on the OL. It showed. We need a DL to step up & become disruptive or we're gonna have to take risks with run blitzing.

3. There was a 10 minute stretch between the end of the 1st quarter & into the 2nd quarter where we had a comedy of unforced errors that prevented us from blowing that game wide open. ULL didn't really stop our offense as much we just kind of made dumb mistakes: Gibson's drop, not picking up CB blitz, missed FG, & a complete lack of awareness by Dixon to allow the punt to touch his foot. Game could've been 24-0 real fast by just staying on sidewalks & not running red-lights.

4. Bo Nix - meh. If absolutely everything goes right in his development, he could be a less accurate Colt McCoy. I think he has small hands. Ball doesn't come out his hand right.

5. Tommy has to stop lowering his head when running. Needs to keep his eyes up & find the dump off.

6. The loss of Willy Gay is awful. We really lack speed at LB.

7. The out of shape "guts" people are talking about are more a product of our bright white uniforms & Super Dome lighting than reality IMO. On close ups, the guys didn't have guts.

8. Don't be surprised to see Oregon make a run at the playoff. They could've beat Auburn by 17 points last night. They're OC needs to step it up.

9. Justin Herbert should be the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft. Extremely talented kid that Oregon isn't using to his fullest. He's got a downfield cannon yet they relegate themselves to throwing everything within 5 yards of the LOS. He's a more athletic Joe Flacco

10. Nebraska stinks. My biggest complaint with the media is that as the season gets closer & closer they start to attach their individual players as representing a team. Adrian Martinez, pretty good but the other 21 starters for Nebraska aren't so good.

11. Boise State really got screwed by the early kickoff in Tallahassee. Once that Mountain Time team's alarm went off, they destroyed FSU.

12. Never bet on an SEC above 5,000 feet of altitude. Arkansas & Mizzou are the most recent victims of this of this & our trip to BYU a few years ago is another example. Don't schedule these games. You're fighting with one hand behind your back, or one lung.

13. Everybody stinks. Not really, but it sure does seem like it. This was the worst quality of play in the opening weekend that I can remember.

14. How is Justin Fields eligible? I don't get that.

15. Tennessee has a broken culture. It's really incredible that they continue to recruit like they do.

16. 8 wins are laid out for us on a golden platter. We'll continue to get better. It's conceivable that we win 9 games this year & aren't any good.

17. Our DL will get better. If you're not good, hope you are young. We are young. Guys like Lovett, Crumedy, Russell, Pickering, etc.. they'll figure it out. I expect these next two weeks to be some of the most productive coaching weeks of their lives.

KOdawg1
09-01-2019, 12:52 PM
In other SEC news, Ole Miss is still terrible. I will say they looked better defensively. They held a good Memphis offense to 13 points. However, Metcalf, AJ, and Lodge aren't walking through that door, plus their O-line sucks, so they were pretty bad vs. an equally bad Memphis defense. They can't run the ball which is essential in Rich Rod's offense. Matt Corral has talent, but he's too busy making sure his war paint looks good on his face. He fits in perfect there.

dantheman4248
09-01-2019, 01:30 PM
#16 is exactly why people predicting 7 wins or less completely baffles me. We could be as bad as they’re predicting and still cakewalk to 8 wins. Our schedule is full of very weak opponents.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Just rewatching the game, Errol Thompson looked awful yesterday. Missed tackle after missed tackle all day long. He was often there but went for an arm tackle. Worst I've seen him look since he's been at MSU. I don't remember him being this slow

https://i.imgur.com/SU6xL6m.jpg

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 03:21 PM
ULL destroyed us on bootleg passes in the flat.

Was this guy's Errol's responsibility? He looked awfully slow trying to cover

https://i.imgur.com/I91vdNr.jpg