PDA

View Full Version : Stevens definitely throws a more catchable ball, plus the receivers used their hands

MedDawg
09-01-2019, 08:19 AM
more to catch the ball. Hence, fewer dropped passes. We upgraded on both our passing QB and WR coach from last season.

99jc
09-01-2019, 08:22 AM
yep I agree.

chef dixon
09-01-2019, 08:22 AM
Night and day difference from last year and I have been really skeptical. Will look worse against better teams but I appreciated it

TNDawg35
09-01-2019, 09:43 AM
The o my prob I had with Stevens is he needs to know when to pull the ball and run. There were a couple times he should have taken off, but instead held onto the ball for a sack. Hell one time he could have walked into the end zone but held onto it and tried to spin and got sacked.

Overall tho, I think we looked night and day diff from last yr. every time we started to run the ball heavy, it opened up Stevens passing. Then that opened up another hole for Kylin...

tcdog70
09-01-2019, 10:07 AM
Night and day difference from last year and I have been really skeptical. Will look worse against better teams but I appreciated it

Wrong -Fitz had better numbers against The Cajuns last year.

chef dixon
09-01-2019, 10:15 AM

There is a lot more to it than stats. It was very evident in person at the dome his throws and pocket presence were light years ahead of Fitz.

He made pretty sound decisions as well and never took off like a battering ram.

Coach007
09-01-2019, 10:15 AM

LMAO at that argument. It is a wrong comparison. You go game one to game one if you even DO that.

Game one of last year Our QB threw it for an outstandin 13-31 against the vaulted defense of SFA. That's 42%!!! vs Game one this year 67%

Fitz first game was actually game 2. Fitz was 11 out 27 for a whopping 40%

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Stevens May be the 4th or 5th best in the conference.

Tua
Fromm
Mond
Stevens/Burrow - yet to be determined

He throws a very catchable ball and is accurate with a short release. Just needs to sync up on the deep passes.

CovertDawg
09-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Was in the SuperDome yesterday. I thought Stevens looked fantastic, better than I expected. Arm Strength is more than adequate. He can throw sideline to sideline and put touch on the ball. The play early in the game where he escaped on a 3rd and 7 only to have Gibson drop the ball showed me that Stevens' eyes are always down field. I really wish he could have played with last year's defense.

Yes, the defense looked bad. Seemed we were playing uphill the entire game. I will say this, not sure if TV did justice to how shifty and elusive the Louisiana QB was. His straight line speed might not be all that great but his ability to jump cut is elite. My biggest problem with the defense was the poor attempted tackling of Lousiana's running backs. Their running backs were not dancing around our defenders but rather going right through their arms.

chef dixon
09-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Was in the SuperDome yesterday. I thought Stevens looked fantastic, better than I expected. Arm Strength is more than adequate. He can throw sideline to sideline and put touch on the ball. The play early in the game where he escaped on a 3rd and 7 only to have Gibson drop the ball showed me that Stevens' eyes are always down field. I really wish he could have played with last year's defense.

Yes, the defense looked bad. Seemed we were playing uphill the entire game. I will say this, not sure if TV did justice to how shifty and elusive the Louisiana QB was. His straight line speed might not be all that great but his ability to jump cut is elite. My biggest problem with the defense was the poor attempted tackling of Lousiana's running backs. Their running backs were not dancing around our defenders but rather going right through their arms.

Agreed. There was a play where Stevens hung in the pocket and I believe hit Mitchell coming back down the right sideline. It was a really nice throw where it looked like he had nothing

tcdog70
09-01-2019, 11:09 AM
There is a lot more to it than stats. It was very evident in person at the dome his throws and pocket presence were light years ahead of Fitz.

He made pretty sound decisions as well and never took off like a battering ram.

But yet Fitz is on a NFL team. You Fitz bashers make me puke. I compared QB against the same team. You said night and day and were wrong. In a game against the same team Fitz had better numbers. I do think Tommy will be a good QB. But he overthrew receivers and if Fitz had done that you bashers would has ten post pointing that out. Also how many times did Fitz fumble in the red zone? He take take off a couple of times but unfortunately he wasn't the battering ram Fitz was.

thf24
09-01-2019, 11:12 AM

Bad comparison; game 2 for Fitz and game 3 for everyone else at home last year vs. game 1 for everyone on the road this year. A more honest comparison would be KSU last year to ULL this year. But the vast majority here already knows that.

dawgoneyall
09-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Just the heck is a more catchable ball. Sorry but that is BS

tcdog70
09-01-2019, 11:22 AM
Bad comparison; game 2 for Fitz and game 3 for everyone else at home last year vs. game 1 for everyone on the road this year. A more honest comparison would be KSU last year to ULL this year. But the vast majority here already knows that.

Justify all you want. I compared Cajun vs Cajun. What I said was accurate . Night and day was 100% bullshit.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 11:23 AM
Just the heck is a more catchable ball. Sorry but that is BS

I'm assuming you mean, "What the heck is a more catchable ball?"

Do you really not know what that means?

CovertDawg
09-01-2019, 11:40 AM
For those comparing stats with last year's game (very silly), Andre Nunez of Lousiana went 21 for 29 and 224 yards last year against our defense. Does that make him a better QB than Fitz and Stevens since he had the highest completion% and went against the #1 defense? Sometimes you just have to trust your eyes and I am telling you our passing game is light-years ahead of where it was last year and our Defense has me concerned.

chef dixon
09-01-2019, 11:41 AM
But yet Fitz is on a NFL team. You Fitz bashers make me puke. I compared QB against the same team. You said night and day and were wrong. In a game against the same team Fitz had better numbers. I do think Tommy will be a good QB. But he overthrew receivers and if Fitz had done that you bashers would has ten post pointing that out. Also how many times did Fitz fumble in the red zone? He take take off a couple of times but unfortunately he wasn't the battering ram Fitz was.

Agree he needs to work on his deep ball but watch the games and not the box score. Your boy couldn?t throw. I read Fitz completed 20 passed only 3 times in his career... well Stevens just did that because he could make the basic necessary throws and decisions which doesn?t waste as many downs.

If he starts to play poorly I?ll bash him too no problem.

StateDawg44
09-01-2019, 11:44 AM

Do you see Fitz taking the field as a QB consistently in the NFL? Tell the truth...

Hell Laquon Treadwell made an NFL team and was even a first round pick and he hasn?t done anything but kicked off one team just to have the same thing happen at the next one that tries him out. He?s awful.

The fact that those teams also asked Fitz to consider other positions should be enough to show you he just wasn?t strong at that position. Unbelievable athlete though.

smootness
09-01-2019, 12:19 PM
But yet Fitz is on a NFL team.

He is not

Cowbell
09-01-2019, 12:35 PM

You might have to help him here lol

Ari Gold
09-01-2019, 12:41 PM
What we have is a Qb that can also run
Compared to a Running Qb
This isn’t a shot at Fitz it’s just the truth..

That’s the difference and It is night and day..
the pass TS made to Austin Williams ( not the TD pass but the one to the sideline) is a pass Fitz makes 0 out of 10 times .. it would have be a check down much earlier during the play to Hill or a tuck and run..

msbulldog
09-01-2019, 12:49 PM

Tua
Fromm
Mond

He throws a very catchable ball and is accurate with a short release. Just needs to sync up on the deep passes.

Not sure Mond is better than Stevens, Gun.

msbulldog
09-01-2019, 12:58 PM

Fitz is on IR because of a stupid mistake. Fitz is on a NFL team as a TE or utility player.

Coach007
09-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Tua
Fromm
Mond

I think alot has to do with the parts around you. Tua... has everything a QB needs to be successful... EVERYTHING. Would Tua be the QB we know at MS ST? Maybe, Maybe not.

BrunswickDawg
09-01-2019, 01:06 PM
He is not

Just signed to the Bucs practice squad, which is where I think most people thought he would wind up this year.

Coach007
09-01-2019, 01:06 PM
Fitz is on IR because of a stupid mistake. Fitz is on a NFL team as a TE or utility player.

No.... he's not.

https://www.buccaneers.com/team/players-roster/

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Not sure Mond is better than Stevens, Gun.

It's close enough talent wise to go with the guy that has proven more & that is Mond. I agree though, by the end of the season, those two could flip

BrunswickDawg
09-01-2019, 01:08 PM
No.... he's not.

https://www.buccaneers.com/team/players-roster/

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 01:09 PM
I think alot has to do with the parts around you. Tua... has everything a QB needs to be successful... EVERYTHING. Would Tua be the QB we know at MS ST? Maybe, Maybe not.

Tua doesn't have great arm strength for throwing to tight windows & he's fragile. He's an NFL QB, but I don't see him as anything special. I think Herbert from Oregon is way more talented.

Coach007
09-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Tua doesn't have great arm strength for throwing to tight windows & he's fragile. He's an NFL QB, but I don't see him as anything special. I think Herbert from Oregon is way more talented.

Me either. I think Stevens would thrive as a QB for Bama on the other hand.

RocketDawg
09-01-2019, 01:22 PM

Tua
Fromm
Mond

If you update that list in a few weeks, I'll bet Nix will be near the top. The kid's good and pretty cool under pressure.

I'm no expert, but I thought Tommy looked much better and more fluid than Fitz.

dawgoneyall
09-01-2019, 03:09 PM

Fred Ross would like to know also.

msstate7
09-01-2019, 03:11 PM
He is not

Technically, you're right, but he's one of the bucs' 63 best players

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 04:07 PM
If you update that list in a few weeks, I'll bet Nix will be near the top. The kid's good and pretty cool under pressure.

I'm no expert, but I thought Tommy looked much better and more fluid than Fitz.

Yikes. Terrible take. Completely disagree. He showed nothing last night that makes me think he'll be near the top of this list.

yes, Tommy is much more fluid & better than Fitz. He's also much more fluid & better than Nix

defiantdog
09-01-2019, 04:21 PM
I don't know why anyone is trying to compare Stevens to Fitz. Is this based off of 34's bullshit post about comparing numbers? Fitz couldn't hit anything passed 10 yards. Fitz was good because he could tuck the ball and get a guaranteed 5 yards when needed. But his accuracy was awful.

vv83
09-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Technically, you're right, but he's one of the bucs' 63 best players

I wouldn?t say BEST. Fitz is more of a potential upside signing and everyone knows it

msu15
09-01-2019, 04:35 PM
What we have is a Qb that can also run
Compared to a Running Qb
This isn’t a shot at Fitz it’s just the truth..

That’s the difference and It is night and day..
the pass TS made to Austin Williams ( not the TD pass but the one to the sideline) is a pass Fitz makes 0 out of 10 times .. it would have be a check down much earlier during the play to Hill or a tuck and run..

100%. If you look closely Tommy was on his 3rd progression that play. I don’t think Nick ever made 3 reads on a play his entire career here.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 04:39 PM
100%. If you look closely Tommy was on his 3rd progression that play. I don’t think Nick ever made 3 reads on a play his entire career here.

I would also think this could insinuate that our TEs could have a big year.

Since most plays aren't designed for the TE, having a QB that can go through progressions, means they are likely to see more passes

msu15
09-01-2019, 05:36 PM
I would also think this could insinuate that our TEs could have a big year.

Since most plays aren't designed for the TE, having a QB that can go through progressions, means they are likely to see more passes
No doubt. To add to that, on that particular play Kylin in the flat was his second read and was open, but Tommy quickly adjusted and hit Austin for the much bigger gain. This goes back to Joe harping on creating more explosive plays in the pass game. I firmly believe that Nick would’ve checked it down there.

RocketDawg
09-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Yikes. Terrible take. Completely disagree. He showed nothing last night that makes me think he'll be near the top of this list.

yes, Tommy is much more fluid & better than Fitz. He's also much more fluid & better than Nix

We'll see how Nix is in a few weeks. I think he'll do well. I didn't say he was better than Tommy though.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 06:01 PM
We'll see how Nix is in a few weeks. I think he'll do well. I didn't say he was better than Tommy though.

Ok. What makes you think he'll do well other than the fact he is a QB with good talent around him?