PDA

View Full Version : Rewatch of the game.

Lord McBuckethead
09-01-2019, 01:26 AM
Man, isn't it great to have the season underway? Now watching it live, I thought the defense played slow and soft, but after watching it again...... dang that was a hard fought game. If you turn it off after the Austin Williams td, i could live with how the game went. Our defense looked like it had turned up the intensity in the second half.

Offense:

Great run blocking by the oline. Hill was pretty much phenomenal throughout. Gibson had a drop, but did run the ball well when he was in the game. Great work down the sideline for the TD. Pass blocking was shaky sometimes, but not knowing what play was called, it is hard to tell.

WR: played well. Mitchell and Williams had a great day. We didn't attack the middle of the field particularly well, but considering we only let Kylin run outside 2 times the entire game, defenders were covering the field on most downs. Guidry had a solid game, but it looked like we threw two passes to him that he either turned the wrong way or Stevens put it in yhe wrong spot. Either was, Guidry was getting open at times. Zuber, nice catch that was negated.

Defense, out of position, slow, and didn't tackle well. Gave up too many yac spots throughout.

All in all, the rewatch looked less bad than the live game. I think we can clean up somethings and keep it rolling against USM and Kstate. But right now, we are behind Bama, Auburn, LSU, and aTm. Got to improve.

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 01:41 AM
I'll add- I was really impressed with all of our WR's. Easily the most improved group on the team.

And I'd like to see Javonta Payton rotated in more. I just like how he carries himself and I think he can really help us out. He made some nice plays on special teams too.

I think you make a good point about maybe running Hill outside more at times to try to open up the middle of the field for the passing game.

TNDawg35
09-01-2019, 05:57 AM
I rewatched it also, and we played very very vanilla on defense. We didn’t blitz at all with the backers until the last possession. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that we looked sloppy and like we didn’t even want to be there...

No ULL is not a damn slouch of a team. They mentioned before the game that there O line was NFL quality. They just played with more want to than us. We didn’t have any hop or swag. We just went through the motions...

msugolf
09-01-2019, 06:16 AM
Man, isn't it great to have the season underway? Now watching it live, I thought the defense played slow and soft, but after watching it again...... dang that was a hard fought game. If you turn it off after the Austin Williams td, i could live with how the game went. Our defense looked like it had turned up the intensity in the second half.

Offense:

Great run blocking by the oline. Hill was pretty much phenomenal throughout. Gibson had a drop, but did run the ball well when he was in the game. Great work down the sideline for the TD. Pass blocking was shaky sometimes, but not knowing what play was called, it is hard to tell.

WR: played well. Mitchell and Williams had a great day. We didn't attack the middle of the field particularly well, but considering we only let Kylin run outside 2 times the entire game, defenders were covering the field on most downs. Guidry had a solid game, but it looked like we threw two passes to him that he either turned the wrong way or Stevens put it in yhe wrong spot. Either was, Guidry was getting open at times. Zuber, nice catch that was negated.

Defense, out of position, slow, and didn't tackle well. Gave up too many yac spots throughout.

All in all, the rewatch looked less bad than the live game. I think we can clean up somethings and keep it rolling against USM and Kstate. But right now, we are behind Bama, Auburn, LSU, and aTm. Got to improve.

I'm more concerned with the overall trends with the direction of the program that I've seen since last year. It started with the transition into this check with me offense and slowing it down. Joe even stated last year when someone asked him about tempo and hurry up, that he's more concerned with getting the right play called than going fast. Well if you catch the defense napping or out of position, then your play doesn't have to be perfectly called.

Also, from people I know who are coaches (college and high school) I've heard we've downgraded with assistants. It showed last night. We looked so out of shape and slow. No explosiveness. There seems to be no emphasis on speed, quickness.

thf24
09-01-2019, 07:15 AM
We weren't the only team who looked a little slow and poorly conditioned at times yesterday, so I'm hoping that's just another consequence of the NCAA's reduction in live practice and we'll ratchet up over the next few games.

Really the only surprising and really concerning negative to me was LB play. I'm afraid Leo is what he is at this point, but Errol needs to watch his film and realize he needs to turn it up big time.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-01-2019, 08:16 AM
I'm more concerned with the overall trends with the direction of the program that I've seen since last year. It started with the transition into this check with me offense and slowing it down. Joe even stated last year when someone asked him about tempo and hurry up, that he's more concerned with getting the right play called than going fast. Well if you catch the defense napping or out of position, then your play doesn't have to be perfectly called.

Also, from people I know who are coaches (college and high school) I've heard we've downgraded with assistants. It showed last night. We looked so out of shape and slow. No explosiveness. There seems to be no emphasis on speed, quickness.

I've heard it too from fans but haven't really voiced it here... For example, heres the Reddit post about us hiring Deke Adams https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/algfvz/mississippi_state_is_hiring_former_north_carolina/. All his former fanbases are very down on him, and even the returning proven DE's did nothing last night. Similar story to when we hired Johnson from Oregon, but at least they said that as bad as he was as a position coach he could at least recruit. Richardon seems like a good hire to me, but he certainly doesn't have the track record of Huff. Marve seems good but so did Lukabu

The inexcusable thing imo is hiring the S&C coach from within. 9 times out of 10 an internal hire is laziness- what are the odds that of all the S&C coaches in America we could hire we have the best one as our assistant already? People promote from within because it's easy, not because we already have the best candidate.

I don't think Moorhead values physicality as much as he should. Mullen loves football because it's a man's game, Moorhead seems to love it for the X's and O's. For example Mullen would always emphasis the need to "execute" better, but Moorhead critiques his own playcalls. It shows in the kind of QBs they recruit, and in the mentality of the team. Moorhead making a lazy S&C hire is probably indicative of this

PS I'm also and idiot so this is probably wrong lol

Maroonthirteen
09-01-2019, 09:59 AM
I

I don't think Moorhead values physicality as much as he should. Mullen loves football because it's a man's game, Moorhead seems to love it for the X's and O's. For example Mullen would always emphasis the need to "execute" better, but Moorhead critiques his own playcalls. It shows in the kind of QBs they recruit, and in the mentality of the team. Moorhead making a lazy S&C hire is probably indicative of this

PS I'm also and idiot so this is probably wrong lol

I agree with your take on head coaching philosophy. Glad we got JoMo but I hope he understands the easiest positions to recruit to at MSU is RB and defense. Do your thing.... but let’s keep a physical team.

BulldogBear
09-01-2019, 10:05 AM
I agree with your take on head coaching philosophy. Glad we got JoMo but I hope he understands the easiest positions to recruit to at MSU is RB and defense. Do your thing.... but let’s keep a physical team.

Agree wholeheartedly. Whole. Heartedly. Don't go away from that. Just add your stuff to it.

biggun
09-01-2019, 11:51 AM
I'll add- I was really impressed with all of our WR's. Easily the most improved group on the team.

And I'd like to see Javonta Payton rotated in more. I just like how he carries himself and I think he can really help us out. He made some nice plays on special teams too.

I think you make a good point about maybe running Hill outside more at times to try to open up the middle of the field for the passing game.

I agree that Payton needs to play a lot more. He is the most fluid WR we have. Still don’t trust O Mitchell’s hands and Payton is better than Guidry and Williams

msbulldog
09-01-2019, 12:39 PM
The S&C coach at Oregon, Aron Feld was a long snapper for us and he has an excellent program going there.

KOdawg1
09-01-2019, 12:43 PM
The S&C coach at Oregon, Aron Feld was a long snapper for us and he has an excellent program going there.
It's been discussed before, but I doubt he'd leave there. He's got one of if not the best facility in college football.

R2Dawg
09-01-2019, 03:14 PM
If Joe doesn't value physicality as mentioned, that bothers me more than anything else because you don't survive in the SEC without it. It is also something MSU has always had forever. I really hope this isn't the case but saw things yesterday that are concerning. Not going to panic yet but if we flounder on D like we did yesterday over the next game or two, I'll officially be worried.

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 03:29 PM
It's been discussed before, but I doubt he'd leave there. He's got one of if not the best facility in college football.

It depends on what he values. If he wants to be in the SEC and closer to his home in Alabama he may consider us.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Rewatching game:

- Stevens has a chance to have a great season. He's good & really like Payton, Zuber, & the other WRs have gotten better. Once Tommy syncs up the deep ball, we're going to hit some. The one he overthrew Mitchell on in the 2nd quarter was a beautiful throw. Just missed him.

- Errol can't move anymore. Have no clue what happened

Coach007
09-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Rewatching game:

- Stevens has a chance to have a great season. He's good & really like Payton, Zuber, & the other WRs have gotten better. Once Tommy syncs up the deep ball, we're going to hit some. The one he overthrew Mitchell on in the 2nd quarter was a beautiful throw. Just missed him.

Keep in mind, Guidry ran a wrong route on one that would have put us in the endzone...

Easy clean ups, and we will need the points to keep up in some games while this defense grows.

NCDawg
09-01-2019, 03:34 PM
If Joe doesn't value physicality as mentioned, that bothers me more than anything else because you don't survive in the SEC without it. It is also something MSU has always had forever. I really hope this isn't the case but saw things yesterday that are concerning. Not going to panic yet but if we flounder on D like we did yesterday over the next game or two, I'll officially be worried.

You probably should be worried now. I didn't like how they ran right through our DL , and our LB's did not tackle well. Hopefully, they will improve or it's going to be a long season.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 03:36 PM
Keep in mind, Guidry ran a wrong route on one that would have put us in the endzone...

Easy clean ups, and we will need the points to keep up in some games while this defense grows.

No doubt. I really like the upside of this offense

Wouldn't at all be shocked to see us go off at some point in the next two games.

Stevens is like a strike thrower in baseball. His defense/WRs catch the ball for him because they aren't standing around. They are in rhythm & know they may get the ball on every play. Love how he distributes the ball.

Stevens looks better on the rewatch than he did in the game. So efficient.

We haven't been able to play pitch & catch for a few year, but I think we can now.

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 03:45 PM
You probably should be worried now. I didn't like how they ran right through our DL , and our LB's did not tackle well. Hopefully, they will improve or it's going to be a long season.

Most of their damage was on bootlegs, jet sweep touch passes, and things on the outside. I thought we defended the inside running game respectably.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 03:55 PM
The pass to Zuber that was called back was a big time, NFL caliber throw.

I'm telling you, you can compare last year's stats vs ULL to this year's if you want, but this offense has a huge ceiling. We only stopped ourselves yesterday & really never broke any huge plays that made for quick scores. The components are there though

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 03:57 PM
The pass to Zuber that was called back was a big time, NFL caliber throw.

I'm telling you, you can compare last year's stats vs ULL to this year's if you want, but this offense has a huge ceiling. We only stopped ourselves yesterday & really never broke any huge plays that made for quick scores. The components are there though

ULL last year was also one of Fitz's best games. When we compare the offensive production at the end of the year I expect it to be drastically different.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 03:59 PM
Props to Malik Dear on punt returns. This may be "his thing".

He has such a low center of gravity, that I think he'll be able to stay erect after the initial hit & do somethings on punt return this year. His hands look good catching the ball as well.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Here is a theory: Did we just mentally check out at this point? Does that explain somethings?

https://i.imgur.com/Ts4TzCb.jpg

defiantdog
09-01-2019, 04:13 PM
Rewatching game:

Without Willie Gay, he's having to run sideline to sideline (and he's not that type of LB). Erroll is a DE playing LB. He's good at blitzing, but can drop back in zone coverage when needed. He's not a cover guy, and he doesn't run people down. He wasn't last year either. He had help so he didn't have to run people down. He still has the same physicality. He reminds me of Kenney Britt of Auburn. The guy is a monster inside the box and on run stop. But he's not going to run anyone down or cover sideline to sideline.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Without Willie Gay, he's having to run sideline to sideline (and he's not that type of LB). Erroll is a DE playing LB. He's good at blitzing, but can drop back in zone coverage when needed. He's not a cover guy, and he doesn't run people down. He wasn't last year either. He had help so he didn't have to run people down. He still has the same physicality. He reminds me of Kenney Britt of Auburn. The guy is a monster inside the box and on run stop. But he's not going to run anyone down or cover sideline to sideline.

So what do we do?

BayouDawg
09-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Here is a theory: Did we just mentally check out at this point? Does that explain somethings?

https://i.imgur.com/Ts4TzCb.jpg

That is what it looked like to me. A team that is still trying to find an identity and has to learn that you cant let up.

defiantdog
09-01-2019, 04:34 PM
So what do we do?

It looks like we're using our Nickel (Cole) for blitz packages. When watching the recap, you'll notice we're also bringing Landrews up to help with the intermediate passes. Problem is depth. Outside of Willie, Leo, and Erroll..... we have nothing really substantial. Washington is not where we'd hope, no clue what's going on with Kilby-Lane, and Brule / Watson are converted LBs from other positions. I believe Brule and Watson will be great players for us, just not now. Honestly, losing Willie Gay for 8 games is going to be our achilles heel for the LB core.

NCDawg
09-01-2019, 04:48 PM
Most of their damage was on bootlegs, jet sweep touch passes, and things on the outside. I thought we defended the inside running game respectably.

Didn't seem like they had too much trouble scoring on our 3 yard line. Guy ran right through us standing up.

Pollodawg
09-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Let?s call it what it is. Our defense isn?t elite. It?s not bad. It?s just that we got used to seeing it, in 2017 and 18, being borderline-elite to actually elite.

It?s not this year. It?s not bad. It just isn?t top ten.

ShotgunDawg
09-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Let?s call it what it is. Out defense isn?t elite. It?s not bad. It?s just that we got used to seeing it, in 2017 and 18, being borderline-elite to actually elite.

It?s not this year. It?s not bad. It just isn?t too ten.

It was pretty bad yesterday. What we don't know though is how good ULL's OL was & how much better our young guys will get as the season progresses.

Willie Gay & Autry being suspended though are real problems.