PDA

View Full Version : About those suspensions

Todd4State
08-31-2019, 11:12 PM
We get to pick and choose when those players are suspended. Why not just suspend Autry and Gay for the 4 OOC games and then the first half of all SEC games?

I mean, I'm sure we'll be "exemplary cooperation" good ol' Mississippi State and sit them for the full eight. But if we can truly pick when those players are suspended after today that would be the best way to do it for us.

I think a lot of what I saw today from the defense was us getting scored on in part more because of depth and lack of adjustments than anything else. I thought Lovett and Crumedy did OK. I didn't think Jackson played all that great- but others said he did and they're probably right and he gets a pass from me regardless because he has been shifting between o-line and d-line. Really more concerned about the LB play than anything to be honest with you. The other thing I think I would look at is switching Cole and Landrews position wise. That may help us defend the outside/flat better and it may help us defend the deep half of the field better too.

Liverpooldawg
08-31-2019, 11:20 PM
We get to pick and choose when those players are suspended. Why not just suspend Autry and Gay for the 4 OOC games and then the first half of all SEC games?

I mean, I'm sure we'll be "exemplary cooperation" good ol' Mississippi State and sit them for the full eight. But if we can truly pick when those players are suspended after today that would be the best way to do it for us.

I think a lot of what I saw today from the defense was us getting scored on in part more because of depth and lack of adjustments than anything else. I thought Lovett and Crumedy did OK. I didn't think Jackson played all that great- but others said he did and they're probably right and he gets a pass from me regardless because he has been shifting between o-line and d-line. Really more concerned about the LB play than anything to be honest with you. The other thing I think I would look at is switching Cole and Landrews position wise. That may help us defend the outside/flat better and it may help us defend the deep half of the field better too.

Are you sure about that? I've heard we can pick when the suspensions start, but once they start it's eight straight games and it has to be this season.

Homedawg
08-31-2019, 11:24 PM

Can't suspend them for a half. Has to be a game.. as for Cole and laundrews. Cole is our best cover safety. He needs to stay put.

Homedawg
08-31-2019, 11:25 PM
Are you sure about that? I've heard we can pick when the suspensions start, but once they start it's eight straight games and it has to be this season.

No it can be 8 games and not in succession.

Todd4State
08-31-2019, 11:26 PM

I'm not 100%. That's why I was asking.

msstate7
08-31-2019, 11:30 PM

That is such a strange ruling. Wonder if they gave that option bc of the sheer number of suspended players

Todd4State
08-31-2019, 11:30 PM
Can't suspend them for a half. Has to be a game.. as for Cole and laundrews. Cole is our best cover safety. He needs to stay put.

That's BS on the NCAA's part. Especially considering our "exemplary cooperation."

I thought we had Cole at the star? I want him at safety for his coverage.

Todd4State
08-31-2019, 11:31 PM
That is such a strange ruling.

It really is. And to me it's even more odd that it has to be a full game. I feel like I'm playing a board game with my little brother and he's making up the rules as the game goes.

msstate7
08-31-2019, 11:32 PM
It really is. And to me it's even more odd that it has to be a full game. I feel like I'm playing a board game with my little brother and he's making up the rules as the game goes.

Good analogy haha

Skydawg1
08-31-2019, 11:33 PM
That is such a strange ruling. Wonder if they gave that option bc of the sheer number of suspended playersOne of the many perks of "exemplary cooperation".

Todd4State
08-31-2019, 11:41 PM
One of the many perks of "exemplary cooperation".

But hey! The NCAA is not hanging out in Starkville any more!**

Liverpooldawg
08-31-2019, 11:44 PM

Are you sure? I've heard otherwise,

Liverpooldawg
08-31-2019, 11:48 PM
Bottom line guys: We are "lucky" those guys weren't thrown out of the university. Personally I think they should have been, and am highly disappointed in us as an academic institution they weren't. Just my opinion, but we are a University, not a sports franchise.

Todd4State
08-31-2019, 11:54 PM
Bottom line guys: We are "lucky" those guys weren't thrown out of the university. Personally I think they should have been, and am highly disappointed in us as an academic institution they weren't. Just my opinion, but we are a University, not a sports franchise.

Hijack/

As a University someone attending MSU with the intent and hope to make it in professional sports is no different than someone going to MSU to get a pre-Med degree with the hopes of being a MD making a million dollars a year either. The point of a University is to prepare people for the working world- and professional sports are just as much a job as anything else. Just because more people follow it and they get paid more if they make it big it doesn't make it any less of a profession than interior design or whatever million jobs people could have.

The other thing is as a student they would have and may have been able to appeal any suspension due to academic impropriety and as long as they would have shown remorse and not cheated again they likely would have gotten a second chance- like all other students who do the same thing and get caught the first time.

/Hijack over

Liverpooldawg
09-01-2019, 12:02 AM
Hijack/

As a University someone attending MSU with the intent and hope to make it in professional sports is no different than someone going to MSU to get a pre-Med degree with the hopes of being a MD making a million dollars a year either. The point of a University is to prepare people for the working world- and professional sports are just as much a job as anything else. Just because more people follow it and they get paid more if they make it big it doesn't make it any less of a profession than interior design or whatever million jobs people could have.

The other thing is as a student they would have and may have been able to appeal any suspension due to academic impropriety and as long as they would have shown remorse and not cheated again they likely would have gotten a second chance- like all other students who do the same thing and get caught the first time.

/Hijack over

They freaking cheated on academics. It doesn't matter what they were going to school for. My understanding is they didn't even have to for that "class". It was laziness and pure stupidity. I'm appalled we allow that kind of class. That some of us, like you, want to allow CHEATING in such a class, is absolutely horrible. All of them should be OUT. It cheapens every degree issued from MSU.

Cloak
09-01-2019, 12:18 AM
They freaking cheated on academics. It doesn't matter what they were going to school for. My understanding is they didn't even have to for that "class". It was laziness and pure stupidity. I'm appalled we allow that kind of class. That some of us, like you, want to allow CHEATING in such a class, is absolutely horrible. All of them should be OUT. It cheapens every degree issued from MSU.

Any student, regardless of if they play football or not, is not going to get kicked out of school for a first offence cheating issue. Punishment widely varies. Second offense is expellable.

PendingTransaction
09-01-2019, 12:22 AM
I hate that these young men made the choices that they did. But I also hate this self righteous bs. I will bet my right arm that the University “cheated” to recruit, gain eligibility and maintain eligibility of more than eight players. I guess we are the Stanford of the south.

TUSK
09-01-2019, 12:30 AM
Hijack/

As a University someone attending MSU with the intent and hope to make it in professional sports is no different than someone going to MSU to get a pre-Med degree with the hopes of being a MD making a million dollars a year either. The point of a University is to prepare people for the working world- and professional sports are just as much a job as anything else. /Hijack over

Hey, Todd... I've been thinkin' some of that for a while now...

Teach em how to add, subtract, maybe some (elementary Boom level) Finance, speak (correct) english, and lettem take their chances after 2-3 years in college...

It'd be better than the horseshit we've today...

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 12:48 AM

They did cheat and they are paying for it right now. They let their teammates down. And because they have paid for it- they should not be out and should get a second chance like every other student that does the same thing should get a second chance. Sitting them out is not "allowing" cheating. Allowing cheating would be allowing them to play a full season.

If they get caught cheating again- then yes they should be out.

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 12:51 AM
Hey, Todd... I've been thinkin' some of that for a while now...

Teach em how to add, subtract, maybe some (elementary Boom level) Finance, speak (correct) english, and lettem take their chances after 2-3 years in college...

It'd be better than the horseshit we've today...

With professional athletes I think the goal twofold:

1. Prepare them for the professional sports world. That encompasses a lot in that I think it means preparing them as an athlete to play baseball/football whatever but also how to manage their lives off the field and that can encompass S&C, finance, how to handle the media and million other things.

2. Prepare them for life after the professional sports world. The reality is most pro athletes are out of the game by age 30 and they need to be able to transition into the "real world". My uncle really struggled with that and still does after he got out of pro baseball. He signed straight out of high school and really can't get much of another job outside of baseball.

Jack Lambert
09-01-2019, 07:49 AM

I have heard Moorhead say several times that he can choose which games during the season and it will be week by week. My question is only 7 were suspended yesterday who were the two that dressed out?

Homedawg
09-01-2019, 08:03 AM
That's BS on the NCAA's part. Especially considering our "exemplary cooperation."

I thought we had Cole at the star? I want him at safety for his coverage.

We do have hit at star or nickel. I called it safety Bc it's a nickel spot. But yes you are correct he's not at one of the backend safety's.

Homedawg
09-01-2019, 08:08 AM
I have heard Moorhead say several times that he can choose which games during the season and it will be week by week. My question is only 7 were suspended yesterday who were the two that dressed out?

All 10 were out yesterday plus Christman and story, which had nothing to do w it. The other 5 weren't on the two deep and weren't announced for some odd reason

revdrdawg
09-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Back to your original question, you pick and choose which games because you never know how injuries or other suspensions (or even the development of other players) might affect the lineup from week to week. There are some games where you know they will sit out and some where you know you want all hands on deck. There are other games where your available players (or certain match-ups with the opponent) might play into the decision.