PDA

View Full Version : Bob Sirmon Better Fix this S&** - Quick Thoughts

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2019, 02:46 PM
The Good

- I believe the offense will better this year. I think Stevens is accurate & a good enough runner, while the WRs are better & the OL & RB are good. Hopefully we are healthy on the OL

The Bad

- Joey Jones needs to step it up as a special teams coach. Brutal mistakes today that will costs us against good teams.
- I still don't see a WR that is capable of getting behind the defense. We look better on offense, but have to be more explosive
- Secondary, for so many upper classmen & harolded players back there, they looked shaky today. Some players got a ton of hype but are just average on the field.

The Ugly

- The DL was atrocious. I was hoping for it to be surprisingly solid, but today gave me no such hope. They were pushed around today, got no penetration, & often looked like they were in slow motion. Deke & Shoop need to fix this Sh&* immediately.
- LB play. Errol looked slow & unathletic today. The loss of Willie Gay & Autry are huge right now.

Overall, there is a lot to be concerned about but also some positives to take away in Tommy Stevens, the OL, & Hill. The good news is that ULL returned their entire OL & this DL will have time to get better before challenged. Also, it's not always bad for the first game to expose some real flaws. Allows you to coach them really hard & for guys to be humbled to realize they need to get better. This DL will get better, I know it will. Hopefully starting this week at practice there is a reality check.

Never forget that in 2014, we gave up 34 points to UAB in week 2.

As for the 4-8, 5-7 crowd, 4 non-cons & Ole Miss & Arky suck. Don't go there.

Today my confidence is shaken that we can beat Auburn, A&M, or Tennessee, but we'll get better. Young DL take times

C34 was right. This defense has real issue. Bob Sirmon better get it figured out

Matt3467
08-31-2019, 02:47 PM
Where did we get this kicker from? I don't remember him. He worries me.

I seen it dawg
08-31-2019, 02:47 PM
We are fat. Slow. And out of shape.

Turfdawg67
08-31-2019, 02:50 PM
Bob Sirmon... so original.

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2019, 02:51 PM

Agree. We don't look very explosive. I wonder if this strength coaching change has had a negative effect.

Our LBs & DL looked incredibly unathletic today

ATTILLA THE DOG
08-31-2019, 02:56 PM

Yep,looks like losing the strength coach was a big deal

Saltydog
08-31-2019, 02:59 PM
A lot of the posters here would've fellated Shoop last year but people seem to forget just how much talent he had last year. Funny how talent can make good coaches look like great coaches.

KOdawg1
08-31-2019, 03:01 PM
Agree. We don't look very explosive. I wonder if this strength coaching change has had a negative effect.

Our LBs & DL looked incredibly unathletic today

Leo and Erroll both have a little bit of a pot belly. That's unacceptable. Coach needs to have this team running at 5:00 am Monday morning

PMDawg
The Good

- I believe the offense will better this year. I think Stevens is accurate & a good enough runner, while the WRs are better & the OL & RB are good. Hopefully we are healthy on the OL

The Bad

- Joey Jones needs to step it up as a special teams coach. Brutal mistakes today that will costs us against good teams.
- I still don't see a WR that is capable of getting behind the defense. We look better on offense, but have to be more explosive
- Secondary, for so many upper classmen & harolded players back there, they looked shaky today. Some players got a ton of hype but are just average on the field.

The Ugly

- The DL was atrocious. I was hoping for it to be surprisingly solid, but today gave me no such hope. They were pushed around today, got no penetration, & often looked like they were in slow motion. Deke & Shoop need to fix this Sh&* immediately.
- LB play. Errol looked slow & unathletic today. The loss of Willie Gay & Autry are huge right now.

Overall, there is a lot to be concerned about but also some positives to take away in Tommy Stevens, the OL, & Hill. The good news is that ULL returned their entire OL & this DL will have time to get better before challenged. Also, it's not always bad for the first game to expose some real flaws. Allows you to coach them really hard & for guys to be humbled to realize they need to get better. This DL will get better, I know it will. Hopefully starting this week at practice there is a reality check.

Today my confidence is shaken that we can beat Auburn, A&M, or Tennessee, but we'll get better. Young DL take times

C34 was right. This defense has real issue. Bob Sirmon better get it figured out

I think 4-8 is impossible. 5-7 is a long shot, but not impossible. Hopefully ULL is a lot better than I want to give them credit for. If not, there's no way USM and Arkansas are locks. Maybe not even KSU.

IMissJack
My fear is we are in a slow slide back to the 80's.

Liverpooldawg
08-31-2019, 03:03 PM

He was playing due to the starter being suspended. He wasn't part of the academic stuff so he should be back Next week.

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2019, 03:06 PM

I think we can all agree that the program lacks the same edge it did under Mullen. It's become more about schematics & less about effort

TaleofTwoDogs
08-31-2019, 03:07 PM

Glad someone else noticed that too. At first I thought it might be extra padding under the jersey but I don't think so. Totally unacceptable from a conditioning stand point.

HoopsDawg
08-31-2019, 03:08 PM

S&C coach is a big position. We just promoted from within.

ShotgunDawg
08-31-2019, 03:09 PM
MSU football player 2019

https://media2.giphy.com/media/l1J3I2AACdYouQQec/giphy.gif

Bothrops
08-31-2019, 03:09 PM
Yep,looks like losing the strength coach was a big deal

We lose our S&C coach every year.

CadaverDawg
08-31-2019, 03:10 PM

Yep

Bothrops
08-31-2019, 03:12 PM

No way man. I mean we are capable of going back to suck, but not like that.

Noxdog
08-31-2019, 03:16 PM

A ****ing overreaction!!

The ****ing 80's. SMH.

Is JoMo the guy? Remains to be seen but IB will not let us slide back to that futility. Besides we have too much $$$ for that to happen.

Coursesuper
08-31-2019, 03:19 PM
A ****ing overreaction!!

The ****ing 80's. SMH.

Is JoMo the guy? Remains to be seen but IB will not let us slide back to that futility. Besides we have too much $$$ for that to happen.

The blind belief in Cohen is completely baffling to me.

BuckyIsAB****
08-31-2019, 03:20 PM
I think its funny that those of you blaming the defensive problems on the DL. You dont know football. The DL wasnt bad for the most part. The worst part of our defense were the most talented. LB and dog safety. Thompson missed tackle after tackle and LL wasnt any better. We got hurt by QB boot, one of the easiest plays to stop if your backside LB or for us, the roll down safety has a brain. And we got hurt by jet sweep. Got to set the edge and get lined up right. One play we had a call on defense, I cant imagine why where LL followed the back in motion put them in empty and left us with a 4 man box. FOUR MAN BOX. That is just unheard of. They promptly ran the QB for 11 yards.

Tackling will get better. Everyone usually struggles with tackling early in the year partly bc nobody practices real tackling anymore and the fact that you havent done it in so long. We are going to be ok our best players have to play better on defense. The DTs werent bad. 40 and 10 were bad

Rick Danko
08-31-2019, 03:24 PM
Jesus Christ, does every fan base come up with dumb ass nicknames for their coaches like we do??? Asking for a friend.....

HoopsDawg
08-31-2019, 03:25 PM
I think its funny that those of you blaming the defensive problems on the DL. You dont know football. The DL wasnt bad for the most part. The worst part of our defense were the most talented. LB and dog safety. Thompson missed tackle after tackle and LL wasnt any better. We got hurt by QB boot, one of the easiest plays to stop if your backside LB or for us, the roll down safety has a brain. And we got hurt by jet sweep. Got to set the edge and get lined up right. One play we had a call on defense, I cant imagine why where LL followed the back in motion put them in empty and left us with a 4 man box. FOUR MAN BOX. That is just unheard of. They promptly ran the QB for 11 yards.

Tackling will get better. Everyone usually struggles with tackling early in the year partly bc nobody practices real tackling anymore and the fact that you havent done it in so long. We are going to be ok our best players have to play better on defense. The DTs werent bad. 40 and 10 were bad

Before this season, I said that Willie Gay was our best NFL prospect on D. Really miss his athleticism at LB.

BuckyIsAB****
08-31-2019, 03:25 PM
Before this season, I said that Willie Gay was our best NFL prospect on D. Really miss his athleticism at LB.

Big time. 40 and 10 struggle in space

IMissJack
08-31-2019, 03:27 PM

Exactly. Cohen is a baseball guy that was a coach at KY and MSU. We should have been able to get more than we did when Mullen left. As far as $$$ it is all relative to your competition.

KOdawg1
08-31-2019, 03:28 PM
Jesus Christ, does every fan base come up with dumb ass nicknames for their coaches like we do??? Asking for a friend.....
We have the worst fans in the SEC

Noxdog
08-31-2019, 03:29 PM
Ok, where have we regressed? Football? Maybe, but that's on Cohen and remains to be seen, it's his legacy. I will be hugely disappointed if he coddles Joe.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-31-2019, 03:33 PM

I agree with your assessment but I think you were a little to lenient on the DL. They got blown up way to many times. Hopefully, they can get it together over the next 3 weeks. Start with a Keto diet. LOL.

MrKotter
08-31-2019, 03:35 PM
Bob Sirmon? Some of you inbred hicks need to grow up.

Cowbell
08-31-2019, 03:37 PM

I posted about this midsummer and nobody took my question serious. I question our S&C program since the new hire.

Saltydog
Agreed. He should go back and rewatch the game. We got no penetration or push whatsoever. Hell, I don't think we even had a sack. Our DL prefer to let them run past them and then jump on their backs.

I seen it dawg
I agree with your assessment but I think you were a little to lenient on the DL. They got blown up way to many times. Hopefully, they can get it together over the next 3 weeks. Start with a Keto diet. LOL.

We had guys running by shit too. Our defense looked fat slow and tired the whole game.

IMissJack
08-31-2019, 03:44 PM
Ok, where have we regressed? Football? Maybe, but that's on Cohen and remains to be seen, it's his legacy. I will be hugely disappointed if he coddles Joe.

Don't forget NCAA findings.

Coach007
08-31-2019, 03:57 PM

No they don't.

I seen it dawg
08-31-2019, 03:59 PM

Delete

Cooterpoot
08-31-2019, 04:04 PM
We tried to tell you guys the defense was going to fall off big time. We lost some of the best talent ever on the field at State. Autry and Gay missing hurt too. Going to be a tough year but the future should be good.
We played a lot of base stuff too. We didn?t show our blitz packages etc.

maroonmania
08-31-2019, 05:01 PM

How long is Chrismann going to be out? I hope he is back this coming week.

Pollodawg
08-31-2019, 05:11 PM
Take a step back from the ledge. We all but handed them one td. The other should have been called back on a block in the back.

The score was really closer to 38-14 if we’re being honest. And if you can’t see that Tommy has a better arm than Nick, I can’t help you. I don’t care about stats.

msu15
08-31-2019, 05:19 PM

Easily one of the dumbest posts in the history of this board. Retire.

Todd4State
08-31-2019, 05:34 PM
The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

I agree with most of this. But I also agree with Bucky about the DL.

Christmann should be back next week.

I agree. There is a disconnect between the S&C staff, the coaches, and the dieticians. It looks to me like we focused too much on adding bulk and not enough on flexibility, explosion, and athleticism. I can't believe that we wouldn't have picked up on it because it's commonplace now for body fat percentage to be measured and it should have been measured weekly. It's very disappointing to me to see stuff like this that we can't afford to do if we want to take the next step in football. We don't allow this to happen in baseball. But between this and Dan's shitty recruiting that was allowed for years it's just very disappointing as a fan. I just don't feel like we do enough to reach our ceiling and it's almost like we can't believe that we could ever be good in football.

Cohen knows baseball. If Moorhead doesn't work out or correct things he will be gone and it will be on Cohen. Cohen will also get a chance to fix it though. And no one wants to hear it but Joe does deserve a chance to get some time to build the team the way he wants to. Not seven years like Croom- but at least another two years is ample.

As I said I agree with all of this.

I posted about this midsummer and nobody took my question serious. I question our S&C program since the new hire.

No one could possibly know this until the season starts. It's not like we have people that hang out and work out with our players. That's why it wasn't taken "serious".

We tried to tell you guys the defense was going to fall off big time. We lost some of the best talent ever on the field at State. Autry and Gay missing hurt too. Going to be a tough year but the future should be good.
We played a lot of base stuff too. We didn?t show our blitz packages etc.

It has been my experience as a fan that when a DC doesn't show blitz packages in game one it's because they really aren't going to show them the entire year. I hope the media calls Shoop out on this though.

Take a step back from the ledge. We all but handed them one td. The other should have been called back on a block in the back.

The score was really closer to 38-14 if we’re being honest. And if you can’t see that Tommy has a better arm than Nick, I can’t help you. I don’t care about stats.

We definitely left some point out there on the field. Special teams was spotty too. We were missing our regular kicker, Day looked like Ray Guy, and Goodman looked good in the second half after he sat out the first. The return game was decent. Dear or whoever number 9 was should have fair caught a punt. Had some decent returns. We also had some issues lining up that cost us five yards- which could have been huge had our back up kicker missed the last field goal. It would have given them an opportunity to tie the game. And they probably would have easily bootlegged and jet swept their way to another TD to do it too.

BB30
08-31-2019, 06:25 PM

Shotgun I think your a fine fellow and all but you create this disappointment for yourself every year ha ha. It?s a cycle that you go through

Bummed about the previous year
Complain about the unfairness of recruiting and inherent advantages bama has IE college football is rigged.
Get overly optimistic a month or two before season.
Fall back down to earth with a thud after 1-4 weeks of college football.

Rinse and repeat.

Things are never as good or as bad as they seem.

Biggest thing is that we came away with a W regardless of the circumstances that is all that matters at the moment. We aren?t the only team that has struggled with a bunch of things week one.

8-4 is still pretty easily attainable with another win still in play.

I?m not sure why some are so surprised. Many freaking out in the game thread predicted 7-5. What do you think a 7-5 team looks like? Bama lite?

Bdawg
08-31-2019, 07:08 PM
Big time. 40 and 10 struggle in space

40 didn't last year. Statistically one of the best cover guys in the country. Not so much today though

Homedawg
08-31-2019, 08:31 PM
10 is just not good.

Percho
08-31-2019, 10:03 PM
10 is just not good.

Ole Miss overpaid him!

Lord McBuckethead
08-31-2019, 10:30 PM
I went to go and count just missed tackles, yac, and open receivers......i gave up.

Lord McBuckethead
08-31-2019, 10:33 PM
Shotgun I think your a fine fellow and all but you create this disappointment for yourself every year ha ha. It?s a cycle that you go through

Complain about the unfairness of recruiting and inherent advantages bama has IE college football is rigged.

Rinse and repeat.

Biggest thing is that we came away with a W regardless of the circumstances that is all that matters at the moment. We aren?t the only team that has struggled with a bunch of things week one.

I?m not sure why some are so surprised. Many freaking out in the game thread predicted 7-5. What do you think a 7-5 team looks like? Bama lite?

Look we all remember the fool's gold that was the We Believe year. We all just want a bad ass football team. 2015 offense with 2018 defense. That is what we expect. Sometimes getting the W is all that matters. But is it too much to ask for sound tackling and actual coverage down field and the W?

Scared_Hitless
08-31-2019, 11:03 PM
I mentioned the strength coach hire back when it was made. We looks physically unfit and losing Piroli is showing up early. Cramps in a dome is not a great sign. We also have bad weight on alot of kids. Deke is a huge downgrade from Baker our Dline looks poorly coached in addition to loss of talent. We did not contain the edge and fit gaps it will he hard to correct.

Todd4State
08-31-2019, 11:18 PM
Look we all remember the fool's gold that was the We Believe year. We all just want a bad ass football team. 2015 offense with 2018 defense. That is what we expect. Sometimes getting the W is all that matters. But is it too much to ask for sound tackling and actual coverage down field and the W?

If you're Mississippi State apparently it is too much to ask to have that at the same time. Along with a good S&C coach to boot.

I think the reason we have issues putting together a "complete" team goes back to recruiting and having gaps at position groups. That's why I railed Hevesy and Gonzales so hard at the time. We can't afford to do that at MSU if we want a team that will reach it's ceiling. It's also why we have to go JUCO heavy at times which takes up valuable spots on the commit list and can potentially cause us to have more gaps down the road because we only signed 15 high school guys.

IF we can ever get it together then we'll have more years like 2010 and 2014 and fewer years of 8 wins with losses to all of the upper echelon SEC teams.

BuckyIsAB****
08-31-2019, 11:56 PM
Agreed. He should go back and rewatch the game. We got no penetration or push whatsoever. Hell, I don't think we even had a sack. Our DL prefer to let them run past them and then jump on their backs.

Compare their yards on inside zone vs jet sweep and boot and tell me which one hurt us more. DTs aint gonna help you much vs boot or jet sweep. They aint gonna make your all world LB make tackles that he makes a year ago either. They aint gonna make 10 play harder either

TUSK
09-01-2019, 12:44 AM

Rinse and repeat.

Holy shit... nice.

DNO!

Todd4State
09-01-2019, 12:57 AM
Compare their yards on inside zone vs jet sweep and boot and tell me which one hurt us more. DTs aint gonna help you much vs boot or jet sweep. They aint gonna make your all world LB make tackles that he makes a year ago either. They aint gonna make 10 play harder either

I thought Lovett and Crumedy held their own. Looking back at the highlights:

We gave up a TD on a short field because of a ST mistake. (I guess it's still a fumble if your guy is engaged with another player on the other team?)

The second one should have been called back because of a block in the back that was missed when a guy took out Morgan-Walker.

The third one- Korey Charles had a facemask penalty that hurt us. Two of their TD's came in the last 10 minutes. And as you said- LOTS of missed tackles by our LB's. And most of them were on plays on the outside where I don't think it would have mattered much if Simmons and Sweat were still here or not. They were whiffs. Kobe Jones whiffed a lot too.

BhamDawg205
09-01-2019, 03:30 AM

Keto will take the weight off fast... But that Keto Flu is a Mfer

Coursesuper
09-01-2019, 08:57 AM

Question for you, do you still coach edge defenders to not let anyone cross their face without getting hit?

Turfdawg67
09-01-2019, 09:14 AM

Rinse and repeat.

Hear hear! Well said.

Ari Gold
09-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Bob Sirmon... so original.

Bob Sirmon is dumber than Joevester.

Ari Gold
09-01-2019, 10:29 AM

Agree we sure looked like it today
Sluggish , lethargic, uninspired at times... coaches have to fix that
I said it in another thread might want to look at hiring ?outside? when it comes to S&C

Ari Gold
09-01-2019, 10:33 AM
10 is just not good.

Agree and I think we might see his PT decrease as the year goes on... Bad thing is all the games on the second half schedule doesn’t set up good for red shirt freshman.. but I will take the lack of experience over the lack of ( as you said) just not being very good.

Ari Gold
09-01-2019, 10:33 AM
10 is just not good.

Agree and I think we might see his PT decrease as the year goes on... Bad thing is all the games on the second half schedule doesn?t set up good for red shirt freshman.. but I will take the lack of experience over the lack of ( as you said) just not being very good.

BB30
09-01-2019, 10:49 AM

It’s not too much to ask at any point after week 1.

Look it is dang near impossible to create a real game feel in preseason camp. The speed of the game changes enough from practice to the real thing that guys have got to get used to it again.

If you watched a lot of football this weekend you saw some pretty good defensive units miss more tackles than they normally would.

I am pretty sure you will see the missed tackles get cleaned up a bit. As for coverage the talent of our dbs IMO was a tad overblown going into the season. They had a solid year last year due in large part to a DL with two first rounders out there. One being quite arguably one of the best rush ends in college.

We also lost a 1st round safety. It’s extremely hard to replace that kind of talent and not see at least a little drop off or growing pains.

All I am saying is give it until week 3/4 before we declare the sky is falling.

NCDawg
09-01-2019, 10:51 AM
10 is just not good.

I haven't seen him do anything since he's been at State. I had hopes Washington, or the other 3 new LB's might contribute, but apparently the coaches think they aren't ready yet or just aren't good enough.

msstate7
09-01-2019, 10:54 AM
It’s not too much to ask at any point after week 1.

Look it is dang near impossible to create a real game feel in preseason camp. The speed of the game changes enough from practice to the real thing that guys have got to get used to it again.

If you watched a lot of football this weekend you saw some pretty good defensive units miss more tackles than they normally would.

I am pretty sure you will see the missed tackles get cleaned up a bit. As for coverage the talent of our dbs IMO was a tad overblown going into the season. They had a solid year last year due in large part to a DL with two first rounders out there. One being quite arguably one of the best rush ends in college.

We also lost a 1st round safety. It’s extremely hard to replace that kind of talent and not see at least a little drop off or growing pains.

All I am saying is give it until week 3/4 before we declare the sky is falling.

I like you three week 3 in there. KSU didn't beat a good team, but they ran for 361. If they have a legit rushing attack, week 3 becomes a real test

State82
09-01-2019, 10:57 AM
Bob Sirmon is dumber than Joevester.

It is all stupid, ignorant and immature. Bottom line.

BuckyIsAB****
09-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Question for you, do you still coach edge defenders to not let anyone cross their face without getting hit?

Yes. But on boot the playside edge defender is going to come up on the run to set the edge so the playside LB should see fake turn and run to find the crosser. I saw us work this drill many a times during the spring with our ILBs. The backside edge defender should stay at home and look for the H back coming back and hes got him. QB has to run and now you have backside ILB and help coming to get him.

Its not a hard play to adjust to really.

Coursesuper
09-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Yes. But on boot the playside edge defender is going to come up on the run to set the edge so the playside LB should see fake turn and run to find the crosser. I saw us work this drill many a times during the spring with our ILBs. The backside edge defender should stay at home and look for the H back coming back and hes got him. QB has to run and now you have backside ILB and help coming to get him.

Its not a hard play to adjust to really.

Exactly, it's hasn't changed in 40 years then. Just was wondering if with all the scheme changes that the technique had been changed. Thanks for the info.