PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Lawrence

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2019, 10:38 AM
This kind of flew under the radar last night likely due to no one being able to watch Clemson's game, but here is was Lawrence's stat line:

13-23 for 168 with 2 INTs & 1 TD.

I don't want to make too much of this as he'll probably rip A&M next week, but it is interesting that he was so meh after all the hype.

There is no doubt this guy is really talented, but is going to be better than say Nick Foles?

Tbonewannabe
08-30-2019, 10:41 AM
I wonder how good Collins defense will be at GA Tech. It is hard to repeat as champions in any sport.

vv83
This kind of flew under the radar last night likely due to no one being able to watch Clemson's game, but here is was Lawrence's stat line:

I don't want to make too much of this as he'll probably rip A&M next week, but it is interesting that he was so meh after all the hype.

There is no doubt this guy is really talented, but is going to be better than say Nick Foles?

He will be the unanimous #1 pick in 2 years.. comparisons should be made to Luck or Elway, not Foles

RiverCityDawg

Yes, he'll be better than Nick Foles. Yes, he had a meh game. If Tommy puts up that stat line on a Saturday people will be cutting their throats around here. Lawrence will be fine.

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2019, 10:43 AM
He will be the unanimous #1 pick in 2 years.. comparisons should be made to Luck or Elway, not Foles

I can make comparisons to whoever I see with my eyes, not who someone else tells me.

Just because he's the #1 pick doesn't mean he'll be good

MarketingBully
08-30-2019, 10:47 AM
I wonder how good Collins defense will be at GA Tech. It is hard to repeat as champions in any sport.

I think Collins will be successful there. Just has to be given some time to flush out the triple option bullshit that was there from the prior regime. The recruiting footprint alone will help him become successful in a couple of years.

msstate7
08-30-2019, 10:49 AM
It's almost like jumping to conclusions over 1 game is dumb. Franks was crucified last week for a better game against a better defense, but Lawrence gets a pass. I think both QBs are gonna be good this year, but the one in this thread being great

MarketingBully
08-30-2019, 10:52 AM
It's almost like jumping to conclusions over 1 game is dumb. Franks was crucified last week for a better game against a better defense, but Lawrence gets a pass. I think both QBs are gonna be good this year, but the one in this thread being great

And both defenses were architected by former MSU DCs. It’s amazing how many incredible DCs Dan had under him at State.

Johnson85
08-30-2019, 11:23 AM

Well, Franks has been mediocre for a long time. I get people being concerned he just doesn't have it after not looking much better with an additional off season in Dan's offense. Seems much less likely that Lawrence has really regressed from his true freshman season as much as he just had an off game.

HereComesTheSpiral
08-30-2019, 11:31 AM

Other than the interceptions, he was meh because Clemson rushed for over 400 yards.

vv83
08-30-2019, 11:31 AM
I can make comparisons to whoever I see with my eyes, not who someone else tells me.

Just because he's the #1 pick doesn't mean he'll be good

That’s fine. You’re hilariously wrong but that’s fine

msstate7
08-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Different player, different sport, same school... I remember Seth beer coming on the scene as a true freshman at Clemson. He absolutely destroyed pitching. I remember reading about the race to draft beer 1-1 when he was draft eligible, generational type player. Well, it didn't work out... beer was #28. I don't think this will happen with Lawrence, but it is a long way

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2019, 11:55 AM
That’s fine. You’re hilariously wrong but that’s fine

How do you know I'm wrong?

ShotgunDawg
08-30-2019, 11:57 AM
Different player, different sport, same school... I remember Seth beer coming on the scene as a true freshman at Clemson. He absolutely destroyed pitching. I remember reading about the race to draft beer 1-1 when he was draft eligible, generational type player. Well, it didn't work out... beer was #28. I don't think this will happen with Lawrence, but it is a long way

Beer has some power but was never a great prospect. Very very slow runner and has a 35 year old man's body.

Political Hack
08-30-2019, 12:58 PM
One of those picks came at the end of the half. They were winning 28-0 at that point. He wasn't pressed to make plays. Give me his 4th quarter stat line in a close game and then we'll see what he's made of. To me, he's got the brains of Peyton Manning (4 INTs all last year), but is much more athletic.

BB30
08-30-2019, 03:12 PM
I think Collins will be successful there. Just has to be given some time to flush out the triple option bullshit that was there from the prior regime. The recruiting footprint alone will help him become successful in a couple of years.

I agree, I thought under the circumstances that GT actually looked alright at times last night despite trying to implement a new offense. There were a few dumb penalties but overall they looked well coached they just didn't have the athletes.

I don't mind GT and would like to see them be competitive in the ACC.

Bothrops
08-30-2019, 03:39 PM
He's the best player in college football, and even those guys aren't infallible.

JoseBrown
08-30-2019, 03:51 PM
Different player, different sport... generational type player.

Speaking of different player, different sport, generational type player, I had a thought come to mind. Remember Clint Hurdle? Was on the cover of SI as This Years Phenom, I think it was... anyway he had as much hype as any baseball player back then. He was a huge coked out bust when he reached MLB. Now he has been a huge success as a manager. Great guy too. I had the privilege to work around him after his playing days. We dealt with some probs one week in AR, ended with a ball player being sent back to DR and out of pro baseball...