PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the next national championship at Miss. State

jdelta02
08-29-2019, 03:42 PM
Miss. State won 2018 Disck Golf Championship. Which sport and coach will win the next national championship?
- Joe Moorhead (football)?
- Coach Vic Schaefer (women's basketball)?
- Coach Ben Howland (men's basketball) ?
- Chris Lemonis (baseball)?

Coach Schaefer and his squads have come close a couple of times. Baseball made it to the championship of the College World Series against UCLA . Baseball has made a couple of good runs at it the last couple of seasons. Men's basketball had a huge run back in 1996, lost to Syracuse in the Final 4 that year. Syracuse's zone defense proved huge. Also, a few years ago, Dak Prescott led a team that ranked #1 in the nation for several weeks

TNDawg35
08-29-2019, 04:05 PM
Women’s basketball will win one soon. It just takes the right yr. So will baseball with Lemonis. May take Leno a couple hrs, but the way he is recruiting, look out.

Homedawg
08-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Only 2 have any shot realistically. Vic has made us a national brand. And lem is going to have us back in position.

deadheaddawg
08-29-2019, 04:21 PM
please stop counting disk golf. Its embarrassing and reeks of desperation.

Its a sports club. Stop acting like ole miss

Dawg2003
08-29-2019, 04:29 PM
Women's basketball has the best chance by far because there is no parity in the sport.

Skydawg1
08-29-2019, 04:32 PM
Women’s basketball will win one soon. We should already have at least one.

DownwardDawg
08-29-2019, 04:35 PM
Women’s basketball. Then baseball.

Bothrops
08-29-2019, 04:39 PM
Women's BASEketball

KOdawg1
08-29-2019, 04:40 PM
Womens basketball
(slight gap)
Baseball

(Big gap)

Everything else

State82
08-29-2019, 04:44 PM
Vic without a doubt. Lemonis would be next but it’s a distant second in my opinion because it’s just so difficult to navigate through so many teams that can beat you in baseball. It’s a longer season with regard to number of games and there’s just too many opportunities for things to go wrong.

Dolphus Raymond
08-29-2019, 05:01 PM
Within the next 5 years, MSU will have a national championship in both women’s basketball and baseball.

Homedawg
08-29-2019, 05:05 PM
Now thats some serious optimism

somebodyshotmypaw
08-29-2019, 07:31 PM
Women's basketball because of the lack of parity.

Baseball because any team in the top 10 can win it.

mparkerfd20
08-29-2019, 07:48 PM
Joe Moorhead in 2 years.

HA!

Choctaw Dawg
08-29-2019, 07:53 PM
Men's tennis is pretty solid considering we don't even have an indoor tennis facility yet. Seems like we get closer and closer with the sport

Political Hack
08-29-2019, 08:10 PM
BASEketball.

RocketDawg
08-29-2019, 08:12 PM

Do we have an Ultimate team? Maybe we could count that .... **

I think women's basketball is likely over the next 5 years, baseball quite possible.

DownwardDawg
08-29-2019, 08:41 PM
Within the next 5 years, MSU will have a national championship in both women’s basketball and baseball.

I agree 100%.

Todd4State
08-29-2019, 11:52 PM
I think Women's basketball may win one before baseball.

The thing about Women's basketball is it seems to like they get to keep players for four years and really develop them and a team. That's an advantage that baseball doesn't have at the collegiate level. I think Vic is the best coach in the SEC right now- sure Dawn Staley would get a lot of votes too I'm sure- but he has the program rolling locally and that's huge since we play games on Sunday's and Thursday's when a lot of the out of town fans have to make more of an effort to go. He's starting to get McDonald's All-American's and he builds the team with upperclassmen through transfers if he has to.

Baseball- even at the MLB level is about getting hot at the right time. For example- the 1985 and 2004 Cardinals are probably the two best Cardinals teams I have ever seen. Both made the World Series and lost. On the other hand the 2006 and 2011 Cardinals teams were both pretty good- but not 100+ win good like the other two teams I mentioned. Both won the World Series.

For a closer to home example- I would say for us 1985, 1989, 2016, and this year's team were all among the best MSU teams I have ever seen none have won it all. I think all of those teams were probably better on paper in some ways than our 2013 team which finished second.

One thing for us that is key IMO is things need to change in college baseball at least at the SEC level with the endowment scholarships. Both LSU in the 1990's with steroids and gorilla ball and now Vanderbilt have/had major advantages and have found ways to game the system to a degree. With the playing field level it tips the advantages more to our side. And this may be pipedream optimistic but I think the voting down of the third assistant is going to be the thing that spurs a lot of change- and I think the SEC is going to lead the way in baseball with those changes whether the NCAA likes it or not. I'm hoping that in the next 10 years more scholarships are added to the sport at the larger schools that focus on the sport. Hopefully those changes will be more in our favor.

The other major issue I see with our baseball recruiting is two fold:

1. We need to find a way to stack a team with juniors both on the mound and in the field. This year for example we really had to rely a lot on two freshmen in the rotation- Ginn and Cerentola. One was ready. The other was not. And while Peyton Plumlee had an outstanding season and was a major reason why we made it to Omaha no question about it- we really needed Cerentola to step up and be rotation quality as a freshman to win it all. But the thing is we really can't blame him for not being ready because he has to develop. And so the real issue is why we did we not recruit pitching better so that we wouldn't have to rely on freshmen and a JUCO guy to be major rotation guys for us? And yes, I know the answer is because of our turnover at the pitching coach spot along with the Tommy John injuries- but it still needs to be addressed going forward. Imagine our rotation last year with Jack Owen in it and having Elliott Anderson both of Auburn coming out of the pen- both were former MSU commits. Owen dueled Ethan Small right down to the final inning in Omaha this year- and actually pitched better in that game. That allows us to use a Plumlee out of the pen or exclusively during midweek- and we all got a glimpse of how that could have been when Plumlee dominated the Governor's Cup this year and went toe to toe with Ashcraft of UAB among others.

2. We need to become like LSU fans with our commits and strongly encourage guys like Blaze Jordan to go to MSU. We all know the advantages of going to college and have discussed that ad nauseum. We can absolutely sell that. And I love what MSU is doing with the Jake Mangum line of MSU apparel. We can sell that to recruits- come here and be absolutely worshipped before you go on your pro journey. LSU always seems to get a Greg Deichmann every year and is absolutely is because of the pride that they have in their baseball program at LSU. And yes, JT Ginn is a great start to this and we need him to succeed and be a first round pick so that we can sell that to future MSU recruits. Vanderbilt started with Mark Prior years ago- and it really only takes one like that to have success to sell it.

Coursesuper
08-30-2019, 06:14 AM
There can be no next, we have exactly zero national championships in any team sport.

StateDawg44
08-30-2019, 07:57 AM

Disk? ...lulz

jdelta02
08-30-2019, 12:38 PM

The thing about Women's basketball is it seems to like they get to keep players for four years and really develop them and a team. That's an advantage that baseball doesn't have at the collegiate level. I think Vic is the best coach in the SEC right now- sure Dawn Staley would get a lot of votes too I'm sure- but he has the program rolling locally and that's huge since we play games on Sunday's and Thursday's when a lot of the out of town fans have to make more of an effort to go. He's starting to get McDonald's All-American's and he builds the team with upperclassmen through transfers if he has to.

Baseball- even at the MLB level is about getting hot at the right time. For example- the 1985 and 2004 Cardinals are probably the two best Cardinals teams I have ever seen. Both made the World Series and lost. On the other hand the 2006 and 2011 Cardinals teams were both pretty good- but not 100+ win good like the other two teams I mentioned. Both won the World Series.

For a closer to home example- I would say for us 1985, 1989, 2016, and this year's team were all among the best MSU teams I have ever seen none have won it all. I think all of those teams were probably better on paper in some ways than our 2013 team which finished second.

One thing for us that is key IMO is things need to change in college baseball at least at the SEC level with the endowment scholarships. Both LSU in the 1990's with steroids and gorilla ball and now Vanderbilt have/had major advantages and have found ways to game the system to a degree. With the playing field level it tips the advantages more to our side. And this may be pipedream optimistic but I think the voting down of the third assistant is going to be the thing that spurs a lot of change- and I think the SEC is going to lead the way in baseball with those changes whether the NCAA likes it or not. I'm hoping that in the next 10 years more scholarships are added to the sport at the larger schools that focus on the sport. Hopefully those changes will be more in our favor.

1. We need to find a way to stack a team with juniors both on the mound and in the field. This year for example we really had to rely a lot on two freshmen in the rotation- Ginn and Cerentola. One was ready. The other was not. And while Peyton Plumlee had an outstanding season and was a major reason why we made it to Omaha no question about it- we really needed Cerentola to step up and be rotation quality as a freshman to win it all. But the thing is we really can't blame him for not being ready because he has to develop. And so the real issue is why we did we not recruit pitching better so that we wouldn't have to rely on freshmen and a JUCO guy to be major rotation guys for us? And yes, I know the answer is because of our turnover at the pitching coach spot along with the Tommy John injuries- but it still needs to be addressed going forward. Imagine our rotation last year with Jack Owen in it and having Elliott Anderson both of Auburn coming out of the pen- both were former MSU commits. Owen dueled Ethan Small right down to the final inning in Omaha this year- and actually pitched better in that game. That allows us to use a Plumlee out of the pen or exclusively during midweek- and we all got a glimpse of how that could have been when Plumlee dominated the Governor's Cup this year and went toe to toe with Ashcraft of UAB among others.

2. We need to become like LSU fans with our commits and strongly encourage guys like Blaze Jordan to go to MSU. We all know the advantages of going to college and have discussed that ad nauseum. We can absolutely sell that. And I love what MSU is doing with the Jake Mangum line of MSU apparel. We can sell that to recruits- come here and be absolutely worshipped before you go on your pro journey. LSU always seems to get a Greg Deichmann every year and is absolutely is because of the pride that they have in their baseball program at LSU. And yes, JT Ginn is a great start to this and we need him to succeed and be a first round pick so that we can sell that to future MSU recruits. Vanderbilt started with Mark Prior years ago- and it really only takes one like that to have success to sell it.

Brad Cumbest's role moving forward with the baseball team? Also, can pitch as well if needed. Potential is definitely there, both sports.

KentuckyDawg13
08-30-2019, 01:56 PM
Correct, no team NCAA Championships but MSU does have 21 individual NCAA titles.
:-)
Individual championships
Men's outdoor track (6)
2018 Anderson Peters Javelin
2014 Brandon McBride 800m
1988 Lorenzo Daniel 200m
1987 Garry Frank shot put
1982 Michael Hadley, Daryl Jones, Michael Moore, and George Washington 1600m Relay
1923 C.S. Cochran 440yd
1922 C.S. Cochran 440yd

Men's indoor track (5)
2014 Brandon McBride 800m
2013 D'Angelo Cherry 60m
2003 Pierre Browne 60m
1976 Evis Jennings 440yd
1972 Dale Gibson 800yd

Women's outdoor track (4)
2016 Marta Freitas 1500m
2015 Rhianwedd Price 1500m
2004 Tiffany McWilliams 1500m
2003 Tiffany McWilliams 1500m

Women's indoor track (2)
2013 Erica Bougard pentathlon
2003 Tiffany McWilliams mile

Boxing (1)
1937 Harry Mullins Heavyweight Class

Men's tennis(1)
1994 Laurent Miquelard and Joc Simmons, Doubles

Women's tennis (1)
1989 Jackie Holden and Claire Pollard, Doubles

BB30
08-30-2019, 03:00 PM

Ginn really really needs to be drafted in the first round again. That will hurt a bit if he doesn't. Especially if it is due to arm issues. I am hoping the dip in Velo at the end of the year is simply due to the change in workload from high school to college. Now, he doesn't have to be a mid 90s guy to have success in the SEC as his FB plays up due to the sink but he'll need it to be drafted in the 1st again.

We need a rotation built with 3 guys that are 1st-5th round type talents and we need a bullpen full of 3rd-15th round type talents. Our staff was just too shallow last year to win it all. It seems like the team that wins in every year except for the occasional Cinderella has a really deep bullpen. Vandy's pen was dumb this year and filled with high ceiling power arms.