PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Collins Flip

Fader21
08-29-2019, 07:25 AM
Looks like Collins is flipping a four star DB from Alabama. Javier Morton recommitted and named GT his new favorite

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2019, 07:27 AM
Surely the kid was dropped.

We have to be careful when people say they "flipped" a Bama commit. It's usually not as it seems.

Interesting that the "flip came less than a week after the kid's first HS game & game tape.....

msstate7
08-29-2019, 07:28 AM
I think he's gonna do well at GT

msstate7
08-29-2019, 07:32 AM

We have to be careful when people say they "flipped" a Bama commit. It's usually not as it seems.

Interesting that the "flip came less than a week after the kid's first HS game & game tape.....

He's from Stone Mountain. If we get a Mississippi kid committed to Bama, would you assume he was dropped? I have no idea on the circumstances here, but GT is 20 mins from his home

Homedawg
08-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Looks like Collins is flipping a four star DB from Alabama. Javier Morton recommitted and named GT his new favorite

No different than the guy who ole miss flipped this summer that was shown the door by the tide.

Fader21
08-29-2019, 07:46 AM

I believe that Collins will do a great job there and why isn't in the realm of belief that nobody can flip a recruit from almighty Bama.

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2019, 07:46 AM
He's from Stone Mountain. If we get a Mississippi kid committed to Bama, would you assume he was dropped? I have no idea on the circumstances here, but GT is 20 mins from his home

Meh, maybe.... but I don't think GT has the cultural draw in Georgia that we do in Mississippi. I get your point though.

I'd be willing to bet he was dropped, but obviously that's not possible to verify

msstate7
08-29-2019, 07:48 AM
Meh, maybe.... but I don't think GT has the cultural draw in Georgia that we do in Mississippi. I get your point though.

I'd be willing to bet he was dropped, but obviously that's not possible to verify

You're probably right. Regardless though, it's a good get for GT.

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2019, 07:49 AM
I believe that Collins will do a great job there and why isn't in the realm of belief that nobody can flip a recruit from almighty Bama.

I didn't say it was out of the realm of possibility. I'd be willing to bet I'm right though

BrunswickDawg
08-29-2019, 08:21 AM
The thing about GT is that they should be an easy draw for recruits - if GT takes advantage of Atlanta. They have the history, they have high profile players in their past (Calvin Johnson being most recent), they have some high profile fans/alums that can appeal to players (Roman Reigns being one), and they have money and support when they choose to take advantage of it. The problem at GT has been leadership from the university wanting to de-emphasize athletics. Bringing in Todd Stansbury as AD a couple of years ago seems to be changing things. With their President being forced out this past year for major financial improprieties within the university, I think you will be seeing some major changes at the North Avenue Trade School re: athletic competitiveness. They can't afford not to invest in it anymore.

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2019, 08:26 AM
The thing about GT is that they should be an easy draw for recruits - if GT takes advantage of Atlanta. They have the history, they have high profile players in their past (Calvin Johnson being most recent), they have some high profile fans/alums that can appeal to players (Roman Reigns being one), and they have money and support when they choose to take advantage of it. The problem at GT has been leadership from the university wanting to de-emphasize athletics. Bringing in Todd Stansbury as AD a couple of years ago seems to be changing things. With their President being forced out this past year for major financial improprieties within the university, I think you will be seeing some major changes at the North Avenue Trade School re: athletic competitiveness. They can't afford not to invest in it anymore.

There just isn't much passion for GT football though. That program isn't woven into the fabric of the local culture like the SEC schools are.

It's much more like Vandy in terms of following.

Bothrops
08-29-2019, 08:31 AM
That's hilarious if Saban wanted the kid.

Liverpooldawg
08-29-2019, 08:46 AM
There just isn't much passion for GT football though. That program isn't woven into the fabric of the local culture like the SEC schools are.

Ever been to a game there? There is plenty of passion. I ain't even close to Vandy.

BrunswickDawg
08-29-2019, 08:57 AM

Ever been to a game there? There is plenty of passion. I ain't even close to Vandy.

Yeah - GT has a very passionate fan base. They have also put up with some terrible football over the past 40 years or so. They also have a very strong base in corporate circles in ATL. What they don't have compared to UGA, most SEC schools, etc. are huge numbers of sidewalk fans. Comparing them to Vandy is way off base.

basedog
08-29-2019, 09:45 AM

You are correct, biggest mistake GT made was getting out of the Sec back in the early 60's, they thought they would be the ND of the south. Tulane made a huge mistake as well.
I have to laugh when I think about getting a visit from GT coach, he looked at my grades and said naw! LOL, so did the naval academy.

AROB44
08-29-2019, 10:34 AM
You are correct, biggest mistake GT made was getting out of the Sec back in the early 60's, they thought they would be the ND of the south. Tulane made a huge mistake as well.
I have to laugh when I think about getting a visit from GT coach, he looked at my grades and said naw! LOL, so did the naval academy.

And, damn. MSU ended up with you. I'm sure you will say that injuries kept you from becoming one of MSU's greatest QBs....LOL

BiscuitEater
08-29-2019, 11:16 AM

You obviously haven't been to GA Tech football game in 20+ years! They also own a college football National Championship!

basedog
08-29-2019, 11:46 AM
And, damn. MSU ended up with you. I'm sure you will say that injuries kept you from becoming one of MSU's greatest QBs....LOL

That may be true but I did Coach and was pretty dang good (I also get what the Qb from Indy was saying about rehabs) basketball Coach. LOL, is that 34ish?

BuckyIsAB****
08-29-2019, 05:42 PM
Geoff Collins is going to be the guy. Kids love him. Know a former player very well and they loved him. Mullen wouldnt let him do his thing so he had finally had enough and left to UF but we did miss him.

Liverpooldawg
08-29-2019, 07:14 PM
Yeah - GT has a very passionate fan base. They have also put up with some terrible football over the past 40 years or so. They also have a very strong base in corporate circles in ATL. What they don't have compared to UGA, most SEC schools, etc. are huge numbers of sidewalk fans. Comparing them to Vandy is way off base.

Exactly. Except the have a National Championship in that time frame.

RocketDawg
08-29-2019, 08:17 PM

He might be a good student and would prefer a school like Ga Tech over Alabama. That happens sometime.

RocketDawg
08-29-2019, 08:18 PM
I suppose I'm living under a rock, but hadn't heard that Geoff Collins was going to Georgia Tech.

Fred Garvin
08-29-2019, 10:36 PM

They have a much better following than Vandy