PDA

View Full Version : Everyone At the NCAA Needs to Be Canned Over the Inconsistency Of the Transfer Rule

ShotgunDawg
08-27-2019, 07:34 PM
So the 5* DL transfer from Michigan to Tennessee (From Fresno, CA) was just declared eligible by the NCAA while the transfer from Coastal Carolina to VT, who's mother has a brain tumor was just denied because it was outside of the 100 miles.

Just Fields - 5* to blue blood - Eligble
Tate Martell - 5* to blue blood - eligible
Allen Love - - 3* to Mississippi State & 140 miles from Birmingham - Ineligible
Louisville QB transfer to FSU from Palm Beach 400+ miles away from Tally - Eligible

These ruling appear biased, inconsistent, & absolutely wrong. Seems... if you're a 5* or transferring to a blue blood, you're eligible. Everyone else to go to hell

Again, there needs to be some cannings at the NCAA because the ball is dropped big time here.

Rick Danko
08-27-2019, 07:36 PM
I am not in any way a lawyer but I just don?t see how there are not at the very least some ambulance chasers jumping on this screaming violation of civil rights or discrimination

Leeshouldveflanked
08-27-2019, 07:43 PM
I’m pumped that Danberry got an extra year!

RocketDawg
08-27-2019, 07:45 PM
I’m pumped that Danberry got an extra year!

We're a blue blood in women's basketball. **

I agree with Shotgun ... the rulings are certainly not consistent, at all.

BrunswickDawg
08-27-2019, 07:50 PM
I am not in any way a lawyer but I just don?t see how there are not at the very least some ambulance chasers jumping on this screaming violation of civil rights or discrimination

There was one, and he made the NCAA look so bad they had no choice but to hire him (Tom Mars)

Todd4State
08-27-2019, 07:52 PM
I don't know what the breakdown is.

We're at 50% technically. We got Stevens and Zuber eligible. Love I'm guessing is a no- I suspect it has something to do with our probation since they don't want people like Ole Miss skating the system by getting a ton of transfers. Waitmann the punter pissed me off the most because it was so last minute. Cole Smith is another but all the experts say we don't have a scholarship to give so I'm not sure if he would have been eligible or not.

MaroonBelle
08-27-2019, 07:56 PM

We're at 50% technically. We got Stevens and Zuber eligible. Love I'm guessing is a no- I suspect it has something to do with our probation since they don't want people like Ole Miss skating the system by getting a ton of transfers. Waitmann the punter pissed me off the most because it was so last minute. Cole Smith is another but all the experts say we don't have a scholarship to give so I'm not sure if he would have been eligible or not.

Stevens and Zuber are both grad transfers right? As such their eligibility was never in question.

MetEdDawg
08-27-2019, 08:02 PM
Here's a question. What if every single program that had a kid ruled ineligible on transfer decided to play said kid. Said screw the NCAA, I dare them to put all of us on probation if we band together and rule this isn't being implemented fairly.

Or all the kids denied decided to sue the NCAA based on inconsistency of the implementation of the rule? Could the NCAA stop those schools if they really put their foot down and said enough is enough?

Todd4State
08-27-2019, 08:08 PM
Stevens and Zuber are both grad transfers right? As such their eligibility was never in question.

Good point. Waitmann was a grad transfer too- but the issue there was being granted a sixth year.

1bigdawg
08-28-2019, 08:06 AM

I believe Cole Smith can get Waitman's scholarship now.

JoseBrown
08-28-2019, 08:24 AM
I believe Cole Smith can get Waitman's scholarship now.

According to the guys at 247 only returning walk-ons are eligible for his and Walkers schollie if unused.

Johnson85
08-28-2019, 08:25 AM

The NCAA is a non-government organization with voluntary membership. It would have to be a breach of contract claim I think.

Johnson85
08-28-2019, 08:26 AM
According to the guys at 247 only returning walk-ons are eligible for his and Walkers schollie if unused.

Is that because we already hit the 25 man limit for this year?

RiverCityDawg
08-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Is that because we already hit the 25 man limit for this year?

Yes, Waitman counts against the 25 which we already hit. Cole would count as 26 which is not allowed even though we would only be at 85 total. I imagine Schexnedar will get that scholarship if he doesn't already have one.

smootness
08-28-2019, 08:44 AM
Here's a question. What if every single program that had a kid ruled ineligible on transfer decided to play said kid. Said screw the NCAA, I dare them to put all of us on probation if we band together and rule this isn't being implemented fairly.

Or all the kids denied decided to sue the NCAA based on inconsistency of the implementation of the rule? Could the NCAA stop those schools if they really put their foot down and said enough is enough?

What would you sue for?

Dawg2003
08-28-2019, 08:50 AM
They definitely aren't consist. This is something everyone complains about in all sports. I'm not sure much can be done about it. For instance, why was Espinoza-Hunter given eligibility but not Promise Taylor? Why was Danberry given an extra year when its clearly against the policy set forth by the NCAA? No one really knows why they do what they do.

Johnson85
08-28-2019, 09:33 AM
Yes, Waitman counts against the 25 which we already hit. Cole would count as 26 which is not allowed even though we would only be at 85 total. I imagine Schexnedar will get that scholarship if he doesn't already have one.

WTF? Waitman counts against the 25 when he had already exhausted his eligibility? I get it counting when someone fails to qualify for school, but it seems ridiculous that one of our 25 is sucked up by a guy that had already exhausted his eligibility.

Tbonewannabe
08-28-2019, 10:08 AM
Justin Fields was from North Georgia and transferred from UGA to Ohio St and was immediately eligible. There is zero reason that Love would be ineligible but Fields was. Fields only reason besides wanting to start this year was he heard someone say the N word at a UGA baseball game.

RougeDawg
08-29-2019, 12:33 AM
They allow players to transfer with far less family circumstances. If there were any, and ever a call, to disband this bunch of NCAA clowns, this should be the straw that breaks the camels back. Watching tonight on the SVP sports center It Was difficult not to choke up, for this kid. Sadly this NCAA institution has succumbed to the perils of our society. They must be demolished. Period.

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/virginia-tech-s-brock-hoffman-not-eligible-for-season-after/article_c483726c-c8e3-11e9-954c-ab8dd860284c.html

StateDawg44
08-29-2019, 06:49 AM
Justin Fields was from North Georgia and transferred from UGA to Ohio St and was immediately eligible. There is zero reason that Love would be ineligible but Fields was. Fields only reason besides wanting to start this year was he heard someone say the N word at a UGA baseball game.

I thought he heard a UGA baseball player holler the N word at a football game. Either way, racism was likely involved in his particular case.

If you have to wonder why the NCAA granted him eligibility after having that card in his back pocket, then you are behind.

The NCAA has proven they have no backbone. You think they would take on a topic involving racism and shine that spotlight on themselves? They don't want to touch that with a 10 ft. pole.

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2019, 06:59 AM
I thought he heard a UGA baseball player holler the N word at a football game. .

That's the word, but apparently it came from the other end of the stadium

There is less than 0% chance that Fields heard this

The inconsistency in the way the NCAA rules on this is awful & considering that we are seeing more transfers now than ever, it's going to develop into a real advantage for certain schools unless it becomes a fair, consistent process quickly

Dawg2003
08-29-2019, 07:01 AM

It doesn't really matter if it happened or not. It's a get out of jail free card because no one will take that up in the current climate.

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2019, 07:04 AM
The NCAA made a BIG mistake by declaring Fields & Martell eligible. It put them in a terrible position to turn down anyone else

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2019, 07:08 AM

ShotgunDawg
08-29-2019, 07:11 AM
It doesn't really matter if it happened or not. It's a get out of jail free card because no one will take that up in the current climate.

Of course.

There is no worse process in all of sports than the process of deciding who is eligible or ineligible with transfers.

West Houston Dog
08-29-2019, 07:19 AM
a 4* player immediately eligible who just transferred from Auburn to U North Carolina to be closer to family. He was from Norfolk Va which is further than 100 miles

StateDawg44
08-29-2019, 07:24 AM

The inconsistency in the way the NCAA rules on this is awful & considering that we are seeing more transfers now than ever, it's going to develop into a real advantage for certain schools unless it becomes a fair, consistent process quickly

I'm not defending them and definitely agree, they cherry pick and do as they please it seems. Just saying, they really didn't have an option there...

Exactly.

BrunswickDawg
08-29-2019, 07:27 AM

Thought y'all might find this interesting : https://247sports.com/Article/Justin-Fields-Ohio-State-waiver-Georgia-football-racism-129122235/

From our hero, Tom Mars :

"Irrefutable documentation that has nothing to do with racism was presented to the NCAA in support of OSU’s request that Justin Fields be given a waiver," Mars said. "That information wasn’t critical of -- and didn’t reflect poorly on -- the UGA culture, the UGA administration or staff, any particular student, or the student body. And it certainly didn’t reflect poorly on Justin or any member of his family. However, that documentation did provide support for the issuance of a waiver under the NCAA’s rules."

There is a reason the NCAA hired Mars - he was extremely effective at what he did to work around NCAA rules. Now - could the incident have caused the NCAA to side with Fields? Of course. Could Mars be parsing the truth in his statement? Well, he is a lawyer. But, if he had an office in the Bryan building we probably wouldn't be on probation and Love would be eligible.

Tbonewannabe
08-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Thought y'all might find this interesting : https://247sports.com/Article/Justin-Fields-Ohio-State-waiver-Georgia-football-racism-129122235/

From our hero, Tom Mars :

There is a reason the NCAA hired Mars - he was extremely effective at what he did to work around NCAA rules. Now - could the incident have caused the NCAA to side with Fields? Of course. Could Mars be parsing the truth in his statement? Well, he is a lawyer. But, if he had an office in the Bryan building we probably wouldn't be on probation and Love would be eligible.

So it sounds like it is all depending on how well your compliance words and argues the request. Does anyone at this time think our compliance does a good job at that aspect? Other than Danberry I can't think of any instance that I haven't thought we were screwed compared to other similar instances with P5 teams.