PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed, Walker is in Starkville for classes.

Coach007
08-27-2019, 12:57 PM
He waits on clearance

Ifyouonlyknew
08-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Maybe by 2020 he can be a quality backup.

Scared_Hitless
08-27-2019, 01:00 PM
Good News at worst this opens up a redshirt for Weatherspoon and allows someone to eat garbage carries. If Weatherspoon is the real deal then get him ready to start next season.

Lord McBuckethead
08-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Good News at worst this opens up a redshirt for Weatherspoon and allows someone to eat garbage carries. If Weatherspoon is the real deal then get him ready to start next season.

I am in the opposite mindset. Play Weatherspoon early and often as we can. If he can contribute and keep hits off of the 1 and 2 backs, the experience would be invaluable for him. Also, we need people to not redshirt as often. We need room for a future 5* immediate impact player at the RB position. Simply put, he can either get out there and produce early in his career or he can't. Either way we need to play him and get the eligibility working in our favor.

Johnson85
08-27-2019, 01:12 PM
He waits on clearance

Does that mean he's gotten the preliminary go ahead and it's a formality? Or does it just mean that classes were starting and he needed to enroll if he is going to be ready in the event he gets cleared?

somebodyshotmypaw
08-27-2019, 01:25 PM
Does that mean he's gotten the preliminary go ahead and it's a formality? Or does it just mean that classes were starting and he needed to enroll if he is going to be ready in the event he gets cleared?

My understanding is that he finalized his course work and received his associates degree. So all is good from the JUCO. Now he has to wait on the NCAA Clearinghouse to clear him to play at MSU.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-27-2019, 01:32 PM

My understanding is that he finalized his course work and received his associates degree. So all is good from the JUCO. Now he has to wait on the NCAA Clearinghouse to clear him to play at MSU.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/a87f0f7665cb9e6c63ebca9e05a8a68e/tenor.gif?itemid=9210942

Doggie_Style
08-27-2019, 02:05 PM

First of all, his name is Lee Witherspoon (not Weatherspoon) and it is likely that he will not RS. If Walker qualifies he won't be ready to play in 2019. He's likely not even in football shape and doesn't know the playbook. Next year we will have Marks, Witherspoon, Johnson, Rivers and Walker. I doubt Walker ever contributes.

Coach007
08-27-2019, 02:16 PM

The later if I am not mistaken.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-27-2019, 02:35 PM

I don't expect Witherspoon to RS.

ScoobaDawg
08-27-2019, 02:40 PM
First of all, his name is Lee Witherspoon (not Weatherspoon) and it is likely that he will not RS. If Walker qualifies he won't be ready to play in 2019. He's likely not even in football shape and doesn't know the playbook. Next year we will have Marks, Witherspoon, Johnson, Rivers and Walker. I doubt Walker ever contributes.

Maybe I'm not thinking about it right but why not play Walker no matter what. He's already redshirted his Freshmen year due to academics... so sitting him this year just wastes his Jr year.

Johnson85
08-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Maybe I'm not thinking about it right but why not play Walker no matter what. He's already redshirted his Freshmen year due to academics... so sitting him this year just wastes his Jr year.

Assuming he's not in football shape and doesn't know the playbook, you don't just play him in order to preserve Witherspoon's redshirt. Witherspoon will very likely be in the two deep next year, so we might as well get him reps now when we can. Not like QB where having a good one is enough of a challenge that you really focus on preserving the option for that 5th year. Obviously we have played with fire by screwing up RB recruiting in the past, but in general, it shouldn't be a hard position for us to recruit for and we don't need to hold Witherspoon out now because we want him on campus in 2023.

Bothrops
08-27-2019, 02:50 PM
Will the NCAA continue to be a worthless bastard to our football program? We'll see..

Ifyouonlyknew
08-27-2019, 02:53 PM

He knows 0 of the playbook likely not in great shape. The coaches are into in season mode so they're not going to have time to teach him the playbook. He's likely a scout team guy this year.

Captain Falcon
08-27-2019, 02:58 PM
Call me crazy but I don't see anyway a guy who hasn't been through a day of conditioning or practice with us up to this point plays any kind of meaningful role this season. We're also talking about a guy who went from signing with Michigan out of high school to averaging 3 yards a carry in JUCO last year. So that combined with his lengthy absence from our preseason preparation doesn't make me feel like he is on an upward trajectory.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where he ever contributes here and I can't really think of one barring a ton of severe injuries. He's at best the 5th string RB for this year, and even if Kyln leaves for the draft after this year, I doubt Walker would start over Witherspoon, and we'll likely be trying to get younger guys like Marks and Johnson some reps.

It feels like a situation where either he used this scholarship or we lost it altogether, so we might as well let him be on the team if he can get eligible, but I just don't have any kind of expectations for him in all honesty.

Bothrops
08-27-2019, 02:59 PM
I'd give him a carry or two late in Saturday's massacre, as the 4th guy.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Call me crazy but I don't see anyway a guy who hasn't been through a day of conditioning or practice with us up to this point plays any kind of meaningful role this season. We're also talking about a guy who went from signing with Michigan out of high school to averaging 3 yards a carry in JUCO last year. So that combined with his lengthy absence from our preseason preparation doesn't make me feel like he is on an upward trajectory.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where he ever contributes here and I can't really think of one barring a ton of severe injuries. He's at best the 5th string RB for this year, and even if Kyln leaves for the draft after this year, I doubt Walker would start over Witherspoon, and we'll likely be trying to get younger guys like Marks and Johnson some reps.

It feels like a situation where either he used this scholarship or we lost it altogether, so we might as well let him be on the team if he can get eligible, but I just don't have any kind of expectations for him in all honesty.

Agreed, there is a reason he ended up at Michigan. It's because Ohio State backed off of him for some responsibility concerns and it looks like they were right. Anyone thinking this guy was going to be anything more than depth is greatly mistaken.

Ari Gold
08-27-2019, 04:05 PM
He knows 0 of the playbook likely not in great shape. The coaches are into in season mode so they're not going to have time to teach him the playbook. He's likely a scout team guy this year.

Agree. He might be a very good scout team RB for us ,. And can be used on special teams..

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 04:08 PM

You're going under the huge assumption that he learns what he has to learn and can play. All of those are huge question marks.

ScoobaDawg
08-27-2019, 04:11 PM
Agree. He might be a very good scout team RB for us ,. And can be used on special teams..

Exactly something. don't waste the year. Play him anywhere he can pick up on fast enough.

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 04:14 PM
I'd give him a carry or two late in Saturday's massacre, as the 4th guy.

The guy doesn't know a single play......

Turfdawg67
08-27-2019, 04:44 PM
You people... let's bitch because we have no RB depth and are worried about injuries. Then get a bit of good news that'll add to said depth and bitch that he'll be a non-factor. The kid has talent and if Kylin happen to go down (God forbid) it'll be nice to have Walker there. Maybe he'll know a few plays by then.**

Irondawg
08-27-2019, 04:49 PM
We get a year to evaluate and if it's just not going to work out we can politely tell him to look elsewhere as we're not bound to give him a scholarship. Best case he works his tail off and becomes an asset.

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 04:49 PM
You people... let's bitch because we have no RB depth and are worried about injuries. Then get a bit of good news that'll add to said depth and bitch that he'll be a non-factor. The kid has talent and if Kylin happen to go down (God forbid) it'll be nice to have Walker there. Maybe he'll know a few plays by then.**

Actually I'd prefer he not get in. He can't help us this year. Maybe not next year. Use the scholarship on someone else.

Turfdawg67
08-27-2019, 04:56 PM
We get a year to evaluate and if it's just not going to work out we can politely tell him to look elsewhere as we're not bound to give him a scholarship. Best case he works his tail off and becomes an asset.

Exactly...

Actually I'd prefer he not get in. He can't help us this year. Maybe not next year. Use the scholarship on someone else.

Ha! We usually have plenty of scholarships to go around. And you have no idea if we'll need him or not. The coaching staff seems to think he's worth it so I'll take their opinion over you and somebody named "Cooterpoot".

Bothrops
08-27-2019, 05:30 PM
The guy doesn't know a single play......

Won't matter Saturday in the 4th quarter, as long as he knows which direction to run.

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 05:31 PM
Exactly...

Ha! We usually have plenty of scholarships to go around. And you have no idea if we'll need him or not. The coaching staff seems to think he's worth it so I'll take their opinion over you and somebody named "Cooterpoot".

Well we get two less this year so there's that. And I do know if it gets to where we need him we are screwed anyway. That's not hard to figure. And don't care if you care for my opinion. I'm not going to go w yours. Most of them are off the wall anyway.

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 05:32 PM
Won't matter Saturday in the 4th quarter, as long as he knows which direction to run.

The guy isn't going to play sat. Good grief. Do y'all think we just draw up crap in the sand??

Ifyouonlyknew
08-27-2019, 05:33 PM
Witherspoon has a chance to be out starting RB next year if Kylin leaves. I don't think Walker can/will. I want Witherspoon to get as much experience & carries as possible.

state66
08-27-2019, 05:35 PM
Witherspoon has a chance to be out starting RB next year if Kylin leaves. I don't think Walker can/will. I want Witherspoon to get as much experience & carries as possible.

Not sure if this has been answered but does Walker have a redshirt available?

Bothrops
08-27-2019, 05:37 PM
The guy isn't going to play sat. Good grief. Do y'all think we just draw up crap in the sand??

I'm just saying that I would do it for kicks, devil.

Ari Gold
08-27-2019, 05:39 PM

Agree. I don’t want this kid spending time on the scout team which he won’t have to now.
If Walker had not made it to campus this year he never would have. And who knows if he is even here next year.
If can contribute in any way , scout team , special teams , whatever it’s good...

ScoobaDawg
08-27-2019, 05:40 PM
Not sure if this has been answered but does Walker have a redshirt available?
Walker redshirted his Fr year at Michigan.. due to academic issues...

Turfdawg67
08-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Well we get two less this year so there's that. And I do know if it gets to where we need him we are screwed anyway. That's not hard to figure. And don't care if you care for my opinion. I'm not going to go w yours. Most of them are off the wall anyway.

It's called "rational thoughts". Give it a try. And it's not "my" opinion, it's coach Moorhead's and Richardson's opinion.

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 06:44 PM
It's called "rational thoughts". Give it a try. And it's not "my" opinion, it's coach Moorhead's and Richardson's opinion.

Actually, they would agree w me at this point, if you asked them. But you can continue your take. It's ok. Differing opinions are good

Todd4State
08-27-2019, 07:09 PM

I agree. I love Witherspoon. I see him as probably our top running back next year if Kylin goes pro. And if that happens, maybe Walker is a good option as the number two guy. If not- we have Kylin, Witherspoon and Walker next year and that's a solid group.

Todd4State
08-27-2019, 07:12 PM

Tommy Stevens: Alright guys- Blue tight H-zoom 36 right on three. Uh Kareem- run in between Parker and Tyre. GO!

HoopsDawg
08-27-2019, 07:12 PM

Amazing how much we have discussed this kid. I guess that's what a good high school ranking does. I agree, put him on kickoff coverage.

Todd4State
08-27-2019, 07:16 PM
Amazing how much we have discussed this kid. I guess that's what a good high school ranking does. I agree, put him on kickoff coverage.

I don't see how he could possibly play the first half of the season. That's probably optimistic. Maybe special teams if he works hard in the weight room and classroom since he can't redshirt.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-27-2019, 07:39 PM
If I am not mistaken, Walker has 2 to play 2.

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 07:41 PM
If I am not mistaken, Walker has 2 to play 2.

I think it was mentioned earlier, but that's correct.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-27-2019, 08:43 PM
I agree. I love Witherspoon. I see him as probably our top running back next year if Kylin goes pro. And if that happens, maybe Walker is a good option as the number two guy. If not- we have Kylin, Witherspoon and Walker next year and that's a solid group.

I think Marks is in the 2 deep next year. I think he's special.

Percho
08-27-2019, 08:48 PM
How did O J look in JUCO?

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 09:05 PM

I agree. And he's gonna have to be, ready or not here I come. Might take some lumps but...

Ifyouonlyknew
08-27-2019, 09:18 PM
I agree. And he's gonna have to be, ready or not here I come. Might take some lumps but...

I agree but if Kylin happens to come back I still think Marks is in the 2 deep. I think he's that good.

Todd4State
08-27-2019, 10:39 PM

He's very good too. We're in good shape no matter how it shakes out.