PDA

View Full Version : I noticed on the prediction thread that a few

TrapGame
08-27-2019, 11:18 AM
think we are gonna lose to Tennessee. I thought this would be an interesting conversation and I didn't want to high jack Scooba's thread.

Okay fellas show me your work. How?

Pruitt is the head coach and they have been hit with injuries, arrests and attrition. The only thing, and I mean the only thing, in Tennessee's favor is home field advantage. And that's not enough.

ScoobaDawg
08-27-2019, 11:19 AM
Thanks.. and I'm interested to hear that also.

msstate7
08-27-2019, 11:24 AM
I didn't predict wins/losses in that thread, but an impartial metric has it tenn 52.8%

TrapGame
08-27-2019, 11:26 AM
I didn't predict wins/losses in that thread, but an impartial metric has it tenn 52.8%

Are those metrics revised after every game? If so that would interesting to see the shifts leading up to the game.

Covercorner2
08-27-2019, 11:33 AM
think we are gonna lose to Tennessee. I thought this would be an interesting conversation and I didn't want to high jack Scooba's thread.

Pruitt is the head coach and they have been hit with injuries, arrests and attrition. The only thing, and I mean the only thing, in Tennessee's favor is home field advantage. And that's not enough.

https://pregame.com/pregame-forums/f/cfb/1744790/brad-powers-early-2019-power-ratings-for-all-130-cfb-teams

This is usually pretty accurate and has us as an .5-1 point favorite. I think we will beat them, but most metrics have it close for whatever reason....

CadaverDawg
08-27-2019, 11:54 AM
Mine is based more off of our unknowns than Tennessee's knowns.

- Is Tommy Stevens going to be solid? We think, but who knows

- Is Joe going to get the offense rolling or is it going to be stagnant like last year?

- How will the suspensions affect us in that game?

- Road games in tough SEC environments aren't easy. Especially with a first year QB and an unproven coach. Home field matters.

I actually think we lose to either Ark or Tenn, and I picked Tenn bc I think Pruitt > Morris

Maybe I'm wrong and we win both...I hope so, and could definitely see it happening. But I think too many of our fans are acting like we know what we're going to get when our QB and our coach are complete question marks going into this season. We THINK we know, but until we see it, how are we so far ahead of Tennessee? Again, I hope we are, and think we can be....but I also was alive during last season, so to act like a road SEC win is a given is not something I'm going to do until Joe shows me consistency and less stubbornness.

But that's just me

msstate7
08-27-2019, 11:55 AM
Are those metrics revised after every game? If so that would interesting to see the shifts leading up to the game.

Yes, every game

Bothrops
08-27-2019, 12:00 PM
We have the offense to win, but I'm worried about or defense a little, mainly late in games. For us to win, we have to want to win worse than the other team.

ScoobaDawg
08-27-2019, 12:06 PM

- Is Joe going to get the offense rolling or is it going to be stagnant like last year?

- Road games in tough SEC environments aren't easy. Especially with a first year QB and an unproven coach. Home field matters.

I actually think we lose to either Ark or Tenn, and I picked Tenn bc I think Pruitt > Morris

Maybe I'm wrong and we win both...I hope so, and could definitely see it happening. But I think too many of our fans are acting like we know what we're going to get when our QB and our coach are complete question marks going into this season. We THINK we know, but until we see it, how are we so far ahead of Tennessee? Again, I hope we are, and think we can be....but I also was alive during last season, so to act like a road SEC win is a given is not something I'm going to do until Joe shows me consistency and less stubbornness.

But that's just me

I can understand that.. and would agree more likely to lose to UT instead of god awful Arkansas. But I don't see us falling that far. If we lose more than 3 (Bama, 2 of 3 LSU, AU, TX AM)... it would be us losing those 4 i think.

Either way.. will give some interesting things for us to talk about mid season.

Tbonewannabe
08-27-2019, 12:15 PM

But that's just me

I will be disappointed if we lose to Ark. I don't see how Ark can fix that defense in one year. It isn't like they have a lot of high level talent and the DC shit the bed like Sirmon. It should take them a couple of years to get a top 25 type defense at least.

chef dixon
08-27-2019, 12:17 PM
They have talent and its on the road. Its not that complicated

dantheman4248
08-27-2019, 12:21 PM

Should note, it's a metric that over values all sec teams consistently and thinks SEC Home game is worth more than it really is. For instance that metric gives MSU a 22.2% to beat Alabama this year. 22.2% chance to beat Alabama and only 47.8% chance to beat Tennessee don't mesh imo. There's a greater divide in those two teams that the difference in home field doesn't cover.

Johnson85
08-27-2019, 12:26 PM

There are two arguments I can make that I don't really agree with but that I think are at least reasonable.

One argument is that Pruitt walked into a complete shit show while Moorhead walked into a great situation. If you believe Pruitt is a good coach, they are probably about to make a big jump with him in his second year, whereas it's less clear that State is even going to maintain compared to last year.

Looking at common opponents last year:

we both beat Auburn, but they beat them at Auburn.
They beat UK solidly, we got killed. We lost to UF in a competitive game, but were shutdown.
They lost to UF in a non-competitive game, but at least scored three touchdowns.
We both lost to Bama in non-competitive games, but they at least scored.

The only strong argument I have against this is that they got smoked by a weak Vandy team in the last game of the season, so it's not like they showed steady improvement.

A second similar argument is that UT has been recruiting at or above our level for the past four years. They haven't sucked because the recruiting rankings were wrong, but because they had culture and coaching issues that screwed them up, and even if Pruitt is just a so-so head coach and you are a believer in Moorhead, Pruitt has had a season now to address the culture problems and they should play up to their talent level now, and between that and getting us at home, that makes them the favorite.

For myself, I think that UT doesn't just have culture issues and that we should be favorites, with our only risk being that we will be on the road. But when I look at common opponents last year, it give me pause.

StarkVegasSteve
08-27-2019, 12:29 PM
Home field advantage generally swings a line 3 pts either way. So with all of our unknowns at the moment I think us a 1 pt favorite is probably pretty accurate.

TrapGame
08-27-2019, 12:37 PM

On the road, yes. Talent, they're missing some pieces. And, probably most important, their head coach is a retard.

confucius say
08-27-2019, 12:48 PM

Which is why I don?t understand why our fans, largely, are not giving us a chance against LSU.

dantheman4248
08-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Which is why I don?t understand why our fans, largely, are not giving us a chance against LSU.

Because some people use whatever metric they need to fit their narrative that week.

Prediction? Pain.
08-27-2019, 01:04 PM
Another potential argument in Tennessee's favor is returning production (https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/31/18204093/2019-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience). As of earlier this spring, they have the second-most returning production in the country. I know they've lost a bunch of back-up offensive linemen and then there's the LB who was arrested on a misdemeanor domestic assault charges recently. But unless those losses (or others I haven't heard about) result in a huge dip, they still return over 80% of their production from last year. Why does that matter? From the returning-production article I linked above:

Over the last five years, 35 teams have returned at least 80 percent of their production based on these calculations; 28 of them (80 percent) improved, and 17 (49 percent) improved their adjusted scoring margin per game by at least six points.

Last year's top 10 teams in returning production (omitting Liberty, which was in its first year in FBS) saw their win total increase by a combined 25 games, from 45 to 70, in 2018. Michigan State regressed by three wins, and Mississippi State regressed by one. The other eight all improved.

(Woo hoo to being an exception that proved the rule last year, y'all!)

So based on that, there's a very good chance that Tennessee improves this season and a decent chance that they improve substantially. Unless I'm misunderstanding Bill C.'s math, the eight teams last year outside of the two MSUs that returned 80% or more averaged over three more wins each compared to the prior year. That's pretty impressive.

All that said, UT finished last year with a thud and are breaking in new coordinators.

Oh, and I dislike their team immensely. So there's that, too.

Man, I hope we win that game . . . .

Lord McBuckethead
08-27-2019, 01:13 PM
Home field advantage generally swings a line 3 pts either way. So with all of our unknowns at the moment I think us a 1 pt favorite is probably pretty accurate.

depends on the day. Depends on the mentality of your players as well. Do they have the killer instinct and can they ratchet it up in a hostile environment?

Jarius
08-27-2019, 01:24 PM

Another impartial metric (the one that there entire sports universe uses) will have us favored to win the game on the road.

Jarius
08-27-2019, 01:26 PM

Can you point out all of the talent? I haven’t seen much when they play.

TrapGame
08-27-2019, 01:31 PM
Also, Shoop wants this game bad. He will have that D playing with its hair on fire.

KentuckyDawg13
08-27-2019, 01:35 PM
You answered your own question; it's a HOME game for UT.

chef dixon
08-27-2019, 02:00 PM
Can you point out all of the talent? I haven’t seen much when they play.

Considering they haven't played yet this year I can't. I'll defer the eye for talent to you.

Jarius
08-27-2019, 02:09 PM
Considering they haven't played yet this year I can't. I'll defer the eye for talent to you.

Then how do you know they have talent? It certainly isn’t based on anything they did last year or the awful offseason they have had losing players.

sleepy dawg
08-27-2019, 02:13 PM
Before the turmoil that has unfolded I would've picked us to beat Tennessee. We had a whole lot of question marks coming into this season, and now we have a whole lot more. I don't expect Tennessee to be great, but not bad either. On the flip side, it's pretty hard for me to think much of us at this point. We won 8 games last season. After everything we lost, it's hard to imagine us being better. Throw in all the suspensions and news, who knows how much it will affect us, but it will affect us and it will be negative. Given that addition, 8 wins seems like a bit of a stretch to me. I went with 7 wins which means a loss to Tennessee is likely, but I'm really feeling like we're more of 6.5 win team at the moment.

WPS
08-27-2019, 02:15 PM
I will be disappointed if we lose to Ark. I don't see how Ark can fix that defense in one year. It isn't like they have a lot of high level talent and the DC shit the bed like Sirmon. It should take them a couple of years to get a top 25 type defense at least.

Believe it or not the defense was actually better last year than it was in 2017...but the offense and special teams put them in terrible spots game after game with turnovers and horrible field position. I think most of the team kinda gave up in the last two games. Players getting suspended, etc.

The entire DL will be seniors as will the MLB so if they still suck it won't be for lack of experience.

chef dixon
08-27-2019, 02:19 PM
Then how do you know they have talent? It certainly isn’t based on anything they did last year or the awful offseason they have had losing players.

I said I can't point it out. You're right.

They've recruited better than us overall. We are losing a big handful of players this offseason as well incase you have not noticed. If you want to base it on last year, we can't disregard the fact we lost 3 first round picks of talent too. This concept that we could lose to TN is not complicated.

TrapGame
08-27-2019, 02:32 PM
Before the turmoil that has unfolded I would've picked us to beat Tennessee. We had a whole lot of question marks coming into this season, and now we have a whole lot more. I don't expect Tennessee to be great, but not bad either. On the flip side, it's pretty hard for me to think much of us at this point. We won 8 games last season. After everything we lost, it's hard to imagine us being better. Throw in all the suspensions and news, who knows how much it will affect us, but it will affect us and it will be negative. Given that addition, 8 wins seems like a bit of a stretch to me. I went with 7 wins which means a loss to Tennessee is likely, but I'm really feeling like we're more of 6.5 win team at the moment.

Sleepy, have you tried anti-depressants? They're awesome!

I'm telling ya, if we have a legit deep threat w/ Tommy and the WRs we will be tough to beat outside of elite defenses. And even then we'll score some points and maybe have a shot in 4th quarter.

TrapGame
08-27-2019, 02:34 PM
Believe it or not the defense was actually better last year than it was in 2017...but the offense and special teams put them in terrible spots game after game with turnovers and horrible field position. I think most of the team kinda gave up in the last two games. Players getting suspended, etc.

The entire DL will be seniors as will the MLB so if they still suck it won't be for lack of experience.

Just out of curiosity who's your DC? And are you guys expecting Morris to make a jump with the offense this season?

Jarius
08-27-2019, 03:06 PM
I said I can't point it out. You're right.

They've recruited better than us overall. We are losing a big handful of players this offseason as well incase you have not noticed. If you want to base it on last year, we can't disregard the fact we lost 3 first round picks of talent too. This concept that we could lose to TN is not complicated.

They have not recruited better than we have. That is pretty apparent when you see the players on the field for the past few years. They have had better recruiting rankings than us, which do not account for attrition and the fact that the rankings where our 2 programs are usually located are extremely subjective and not nearly as correct as the rankings where the elite teams are located. If we lose to Tennessee it will be considered an upset. They are not better than us at a single spot on the field outside wide receiver unless they have some players make significant strides. Maybe at DT and qb as well, but that is tbd and not based on anything their returning players have done. More of how unknown our players are at those positions.

WPS
08-27-2019, 03:10 PM
Just out of curiosity who's your DC? And are you guys expecting Morris to make a jump with the offense this season?

John Chavis. Greg Brooks is actually starting at nickel immediately, FWIW.

All 11 offensive starters are different than what they were at the start of last year, which I don't think has ever happened here before. Having a guy like Hicks who knows the offense and Starkel who has more talent than either of our QBs last year should help. Of our QBs last year, Ty Storey is a backup at Western Kentucky and Cole Kelley is a backup at Southeastern Louisiana lol. Rakeem Boyd played all year with a torn rotator cuff last year and now he's healthy. And we signed a great WR recruiting class which should infuse some talent there but they are freshmen so can't set the expectations too high. It all comes down to the OL which was probably the worst in the conference the last two years and they may be better but only marginally. The offense should be better overall just from being in the system for another year now but it still won't be great and I think most would be satisfied with 5 or 6 wins as acceptable improvement. Morris is infatuated with KJ Jefferson so I'm sure we'll try to get his four games in too.

sleepy dawg
08-27-2019, 03:11 PM
Sleepy, have you tried anti-depressants? They're awesome!

I'm telling ya, if we have a legit deep threat w/ Tommy and the WRs we will be tough to beat outside of elite defenses. And even then we'll score some points and maybe have a shot in 4th quarter.

IF IF IF IF... I figure Tommy will be pretty good, not great. As far as the wide receivers, who the hell knows. Everyone thinks we'll be so much better, but we have no idea. Until they prove it in a game we don't know. On top of that, how many of our WRs will be suspended for 12 games? It's all a big question mark. Chemistry on offense is huge and right now, it seems to me that we won't have it more than we will.

TrapGame
08-27-2019, 03:14 PM

All 11 offensive starters are different than what they were at the start of last year, which I don't think has ever happened here before. Having a guy like Hicks who knows the offense and Starkel who has more talent than either of our QBs last year should help. Of our QBs last year, Ty Storey is a backup at Western Kentucky and Cole Kelley is a backup at Southeastern Louisiana lol. Rakeem Boyd played all year with a torn rotator cuff last year and now he's healthy. And we signed a great WR recruiting class which should infuse some talent there but they are freshmen so can't set the expectations too high. It all comes down to the OL which was probably the worst in the conference the last two years and they may be better but only marginally. The offense should be better overall just from being in the system for another year now but it still won't be great and I think most would be satisfied with 5 or 6 wins as acceptable improvement. Morris is infatuated with KJ Jefferson so I'm sure we'll try to get his four games in too.

Oh hell, I forgot you guys got Cheese!!!

Man, as long as Hunter Henry no longer has any eligibility we good!

TrapGame
08-27-2019, 03:15 PM
IF IF IF IF... I figure Tommy will be pretty good, not great. As far as the wide receivers, who the hell knows. Everyone thinks we'll be so much better, but we have no idea. Until they prove it in a game we don't know. On top of that, how many of our WRs will be suspended for 12 games? It's all a big question mark. Chemistry on offense is huge and right now, it seems to me that we won't have it more than we will.

I hate 2018 gave half his board battered wife syndrome.

Turfdawg67
08-27-2019, 03:37 PM
Another impartial metric (the one that there entire sports universe uses) will have us favored to win the game on the road.

Funny how they'll use metrics in one argument and Vegas in others... whatever fits their negative narrative.

SmokeyDawg
08-27-2019, 03:45 PM
I picked us to win but really have TN and LSU as toss ups. Both out recruit us. Tennessee's OL is very talented. I think those 2 games will determine how good Stevens is. We have our holes too but if he can overcome our deficiencies and get those wins it would say a lot about him.

Turfdawg67
08-27-2019, 03:48 PM

Nice subtle jab there. He wouldn't be starting for us... FWIW. Maybe he can counter the 52-6 butt stomping y'all incurred last year.

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 03:50 PM
I find it more interesting that we have numerous people that think Stevens is throwing for 3600 yards in the reg season. Mcsorely's best season was 3615 and that was w a bowl. 3600 is a lot of faith. A whole lot.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-27-2019, 04:02 PM
Nice subtle jab there. He wouldn't be starting for us... FWIW. Maybe he can counter the 52-6 butt stomping y'all incurred last year.

LOL

msstate7
08-27-2019, 04:12 PM
I find it more interesting that we have numerous people that think Stevens is throwing for 3600 yards in the reg season. Mcsorely's best season was 3615 and that was w a bowl. 3600 is a lot of faith. A whole lot.
A poster on sps told me he wouldn't be surprised if tommy is better than dak

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 04:16 PM
A poster on sps told me he wouldn't be surprised if tommy is better than dak

Smh.....

WPS
08-27-2019, 04:19 PM
Oh hell, I forgot you guys got Cheese!!!

Man, as long as Hunter Henry no longer has any eligibility we good!

His brother Hudson is a freshman TE this year lol, but he is 4th on the first depth chart that came out yesterday. I'm hoping we can play him against Ole Miss since he wears the same number.

Didn't intend it as a jab, just showing how desperately we needed an infusion of talent into the roster that a freshman who I knew y'all would be aware of is starting right off the bat.

Cooterpoot
08-27-2019, 04:24 PM
Easy, Our defense won?t be as good as our 8 win team and it?s a wait and see with the offensive scheme and WR talent.

Turfdawg67
08-27-2019, 04:36 PM
Easy, Our defense won?t be as good as our 8 win team and it?s a wait and see with the offensive scheme and WR talent.

Defense was good enough to be 12-1 last year... so an expected drop off and an improved offense = 8-9 wins (including a subpar UT team).

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 04:37 PM

Bc LSU is a team that like to pound the ball. And w our dt's I think they are one of the teams capable of taking advantage of it. Now I can hope, that our offense will look vastly improved bs them. But that's an unknown

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 04:41 PM
Defense was good enough to be 12-1 last year... so an expected drop off and an improved offense = 8-9 wins (including a subpar UT team).

And you're assumption is our offensive growth out gains our defensive drop?? That's logical. But I'll need to see it.

Lord McBuckethead
08-27-2019, 04:56 PM
We beat UT by 14. Calling it now.

Jarius
08-27-2019, 04:58 PM
And you're assumption is our offensive growth out gains our defensive drop?? That's logical. But I'll need to see it.

I don’t think our offensive growth will match our defensive losses and I think it’s crazy to expect less than 8 wins because of how favorable of a schedule we have. We aren’t playing a top 15 Kentucky on the road or a ny6 bowl game winning Florida out of the East this year. We are playing a normal Kentucky team at home and a perennially bad Tennessee team on the road.

Turfdawg67
08-27-2019, 04:59 PM
We beat UT by 14. Calling it now.

Probably... and the consensus will be that UT "was down" and we "should've" won.

DancingRabbit
08-27-2019, 06:10 PM
Looks like Jeremy is in some hot water

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 06:23 PM
I don’t think our offensive growth will match our defensive losses and I think it’s crazy to expect less than 8 wins because of how favorable of a schedule we have. We aren’t playing a top 15 Kentucky on the road or a ny6 bowl game winning Florida out of the East this year. We are playing a normal Kentucky team at home and a perennially bad Tennessee team on the road.
I get it. And based on that same logic, which is sound I might add, we should have gone no worse than 11-1 based on preseason hype and schedule. And we see how that turned out.

Ari Gold
08-27-2019, 06:39 PM
It’s hard to win on the road in the SEC no matter who you are playing unless your names are Bama or UGA.
Saying that yes I think we beat Tenn.. ( as of right now)

And with the LSU/ Aub/ Am trio
Since AM joined the league I think there has only been one year that didn’t at least win 1 of those 3 .
So if history holds odds are we win one..

Cooterpoot
08-27-2019, 06:48 PM
This team is just a huge unknown. We won’t know what we’ve got til AU unless it’s bad.

Turfdawg67
08-27-2019, 06:54 PM
This team is just a huge unknown. We won?t know what we?ve got til AU unless it?s bad.

So after AU last year... you obviously thought we'd go undefeated. If that was the barometer??

Cooterpoot
08-27-2019, 06:58 PM
WTF you talkin bout Willis? Last year’s schedule isn’t this years. They’re not the same. I was already disappointed by the time we played AU.

dantheman4248
08-27-2019, 07:01 PM
It’s hard to win on the road in the SEC no matter who you are playing unless your names are Bama or UGA.

Since AM joined the league I think there has only been one year that didn’t at least win 1 of those 3 .

Yup. 2013. Auburn had the golden horseshoe up their ass that year starting with a GW TD with like 10 seconds to go vs. us. TBH I think we would have played LSU better and gone through the rest of the season better had Mullen just stuck to Dak instead of rotating him and Tyler.

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 09:07 PM
So after AU last year... you obviously thought we'd go undefeated. If that was the barometer??

What in the hell are you talking about?? By auburn last year we'd lost twice. To teams we thought we would beat... his point was pretty obvious, to most.

Pollodawg
08-27-2019, 10:27 PM

But that's just me

Arkansas? Really......We?d lose to USM quicker than Arky.

Pollodawg
08-27-2019, 10:29 PM

If we beat AU, I wouldn’t even consider it an upset. I’ve said all along
that we get LSU in Starkville this season.

confucius say
08-28-2019, 07:14 AM
Bc LSU is a team that like to pound the ball. And w our dt's I think they are one of the teams capable of taking advantage of it. Now I can hope, that our offense will look vastly improved bs them. But that's an unknown

Fair point.

Related note, all the talk out BR is that they are happy with their new ?spread? offense and are going more bama/tua style, but I?ll believe it when I see it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-28-2019, 09:02 AM
Fair point.

Related note, all the talk out BR is that they are happy with their new ?spread? offense and are going more bama/tua style, but I?ll believe it when I see it.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e0ba209a6b480f2ae9a54aa15d1b6ded/tenor.gif?itemid=12470965

Tbonewannabe
08-28-2019, 09:39 AM

New coordinators can change things quickly so who knows and the game is in Arkansas. All that said, we hope our offense is better this year and we could have named the score last year. I think it will be a few more years before that defense is back to what it was. However, Morris could possibly get the offense clicking and make it a shoot out so who knows. I don't think our defense will regress out of the top 30 but you never can tell with injuries or other things happen.

Tbonewannabe
08-28-2019, 09:52 AM
I picked us to win but really have TN and LSU as toss ups. Both out recruit us. Tennessee's OL is very talented. I think those 2 games will determine how good Stevens is. We have our holes too but if he can overcome our deficiencies and get those wins it would say a lot about him.

Aren't they starting two freshman at both OT spots? One depth chart I saw was a redshirt at RT and a true freshman at LT (he was a 5 star though).

Liverpooldawg
08-28-2019, 10:14 AM
It's up there and our defense will not be as solid as last year. I just don't see us winning many SEC road games.

Ari Gold
08-28-2019, 10:27 AM
It's up there and our defense will not be as solid as last year. I just don't see us winning many SEC road games.

2-2 on the road in the SEC isn’t a bad thing..and that should result in no worse than a 4-4 league record.
Which should be a 8-4 season. Again a very solid season.

Homedawg
08-28-2019, 10:31 AM
2-2 on the road in the SEC isn’t a bad thing..and that should result in no worse than a 4-4 league record.

If we go 8-4 and show improvement on the offensive end I'll be happy.

MarketingBully
08-28-2019, 10:38 AM

For the sake of all MSU message boards, I just want an 8-4 or better year with a dynamic offense. If everything goes as planned, Stevens and Hill should be a dynamic duo. I think people are forgetting we have probably one of the 3 best running backs in the SEC to pair with Stevens.