PDA

View Full Version : Renardo Sidney

gtowndawg
08-27-2019, 11:11 AM
I met JaMychal Green last night at my son's AAU practice (he came in for a private workout with his private coach). JaMychal is currently with the Clippers but as most remember a former Bama player.

Anyway, there were less than 10 of us in the gym so I spoke to him during a break. SUPER nice guy, hard worker, very complimentary of our kids. I like him alot.

Here's the interesting part. I said something about State and how he had some great games against us. He smiled and said thanks. Then he said "Dee Bost, man he was quick, hard to guard." I agreed, great player I said. He's had a good career overseas. "Jarvis Vernardo, he was so long!" Yes, I said, all time leading shot blocker. "And Renardo Sidney, he was really good." Bost, Vernardo, and Sidney? It struck me as strange but I think it shows to other elite players they saw what Sidney could do or at least had the potential to do. I don't want this to be a crack on Renardo thread, I just found it very interesting he's remembered by an NBA veteran as one of our good players. A wasted talent sadly.

Again, I can't say it enough, JaMychal was a great guy. I was highly impressed with him.

thf24
08-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Sidney truly could have been the next Magic Johnson with a little motivation. In a few momentary flashes for us he showed he could handle like a point guard at 6'10", had a high degree of skill and touch inside, and could shoot from as deep as anyone, and all while playing solidly in the obese range. I'm sure JaMychal said that because he was unguardable down low when he wanted to be, but as we know you can probably count on one hand the number of possessions he wanted to be (outside most of the games against OM in which we went off) in any of the seasons he played for us. It's just incredible he could never manage to find and maintain the will to put that immense amount of talent to any meaningful use.

Sounds like a cool experience with JaMychal. Didn't like him when he was in college obviously, but he always impressed me as a hard worker and class act with the Grizz.

gtowndawg
08-27-2019, 11:32 AM
Sidney truly could have been the next Magic Johnson with a little motivation. In a few momentary flashes for us he showed he could handle like a point guard at 6'10", had a high degree of skill and touch inside, and could shoot from as deep as anyone, and all while playing solidly in the obese range. I'm sure JaMychal said that because he was unguardable down low when he wanted to be, but as we know you can probably count on one hand the number of possessions he wanted to be (outside most of the games against OM in which we went off) in any of the seasons he played for us. It's just incredible he could never manage to find and maintain the will to put that immense amount of talent to any meaningful use.

Sounds like a cool experience with JaMychal. Didn't like him when he was in college obviously, but he always impressed me as a hard worker and class act with the Grizz.

Well said. I agree.

MarketingBully
08-27-2019, 12:50 PM
Sidney was one of the most talented players we’ve ever had. A guy his size with soft hands to bang inside, had nice range, and had the ability to find the open man. He was number 1 in the country for a reason. If he had an ounce of motivation and work ethic, he could have easily been a number 1 draft pick. I just don’t think basketball was in his heart. At least from what I could see. But as far as natural talent is concerned the kid had it all.

Lord McBuckethead
08-27-2019, 02:18 PM
Just so much to say from the time we spent watching him play. So much of it is negative. I do remember a few games where he was downright nasty, but those are constantly overshadowed by his choices in life. Hate it for him.