PDA

View Full Version : Kyler Murray

msstate7
08-27-2019, 07:18 AM
https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/08/22/kyler-murray-actually-complained-postgame-to-antonio-brown-about-the-raiders-pressure-on-him-video/

Please tell me that's fake, and he didn't really complain about the raiders bringing pressure. I always thought taking him 1st was a huge mistake, and nothing has changed my mind yet

Scared_Hitless
08-27-2019, 07:20 AM
Clickbait after the game he was talking and jokingly said why yall got to bring the house on me like that. Not article worthy and taken way out of context felt like some ribbing between friends.

msstate7
08-27-2019, 07:28 AM
Clickbait after the game he was talking and jokingly said why yall got to bring the house on me like that. Not article worthy and taken way out of context felt like some ribbing between friends.

Good to know.

It's a SSS and preseason, but so far, kyler is avg 5.36 yds/att. That's a 1/2 yard worse than the last qualifier last season in the nfl, josh Rosen. A lot of the cards offensive woes are bc they have no weapons and oline. Now they've added the smallest QB in the league behind that porous oline... kyler is gonna be destroyed this season

Big4Dawg
08-27-2019, 07:56 AM
They actually have decent weapons. DJ and Fitz/Kirk aren't bad. I think they'll be better than most anticipate. They haven't let him run much this year. Should help open things up when he does that.

msstate7
08-27-2019, 08:08 AM
They actually have decent weapons. DJ and Fitz/Kirk aren't bad. I think they'll be better than most anticipate. They haven't let him run much this year. Should help open things up when he does that.

Fitzgerald is old. Kirk and Isabella could be really explosive, but I don't think their oline can block well enough to hit deep balls. Johnson is a good receiving rb, but 3.6 per carry on the ground is pretty awful.

StarkVegasSteve
08-27-2019, 08:30 AM
I think Kyler can grow into a decent NFL QB. He's definitely got the arm to do it. But as stated above, his OL is beyond bad. He's gonna have to take the hits this year and pray they get him some help next year.

Cary Hudson's little bro
08-27-2019, 08:30 AM
Fitzgerald is old. Kirk and Isabella could be really explosive, but I don't think their oline can block well enough to hit deep balls. Johnson is a good receiving rb, but 3.6 per carry on the ground is pretty awful.

Geez...they're easing the kid into the NFL. Give him a break.

They are loaded at WR, young and old. You're just being a hater if you haven't seen enough to know K1 is gonna be a star in the league. Caleb Wilson at TE, Kirk, Keesean Johnson, Fitz, Isabella, Hakeem Butler...every one of their 2019 draft picks will be starters this season or next. Maybe the youngest team (starter's-wise) in the NFL?

OL is weak, but Cliff Kingsbury is used to that. David Johnson is back...defensive starters are very good - they probably go 6-10 this year bc they are in a brutal division and conference, but they will make noise sooner than later.

msstate7
08-27-2019, 08:35 AM
Geez...they're easing the kid into the NFL. Give him a break.

They are loaded at WR, young and old. You're just being a hater if you haven't seen enough to know K1 is gonna be a star in the league. Caleb Wilson at TE, Kirk, Keesean Johnson, Fitz, Isabella, Hakeem Butler...every one of their 2019 draft picks will be starters this season or next. Maybe the youngest team (starter's-wise) in the NFL?

OL is weak, but Cliff Kingsbury is used to that. David Johnson is back...defensive starters are very good - they probably go 6-10 this year bc they are in a brutal division and conference, but they will make noise sooner than later.

It's a foregone conclusion Murray will be a star, huh? Guess I am a hater then. What exactly are you basing that on? It's certainly not a foregone conclusion he'll fail either, but jeez

Jack Lambert
08-27-2019, 08:38 AM
He transferred from from A&M because he could not get on the field. I blame SEC defense for his problem at A&M. No way he wins the HT at A&M. Big 12 defense makes a lot of QB's look good.

Scared_Hitless
08-27-2019, 09:07 AM
Truth of the matter the main issue with the offense they are running in college was protections for exotic blitz pickups. Guess what the NFL excels at, yep destroying opposing QBs. They have shown 0 ability to block for him this preseason, and Kliff is probably out of his league when it comes to making adjustments to protect his QB. I doubt Kyler lasts the season. Hope I am wrong but he will need to be Russell Wilson like to stay upright and make a lot of sandlot plays.

BB30
08-27-2019, 09:17 AM
He transferred from from A&M because he could not get on the field. I blame SEC defense for his problem at A&M. No way he wins the HT at A&M. Big 12 defense makes a lot of QB's look good.

The guy was an elite 1st round talent in two professional sports. He is unbelievably athletic(It's hard to put into words how special you have to be to do that). He would have put up some dumb numbers in the SEC as well. he may not have won the Heisman but he also wouldn't have had the talent around him at A&M that he had at Oklahoma. Hell, if he had played at state he would have put up some video game numbers. He runs our offense last year and we are a 10-11 win team and contending for the west without a doubt.

The kid has a chance to be special and if it doesn't work out he has a pretty great fall back plan.

Jack Lambert
08-27-2019, 09:41 AM
The guy was an elite 1st round talent in two professional sports. He is unbelievably athletic(It's hard to put into words how special you have to be to do that). He would have put up some dumb numbers in the SEC as well. he may not have won the Heisman but he also wouldn't have had the talent around him at A&M that he had at Oklahoma. Hell, if he had played at state he would have put up some video game numbers. He runs our offense last year and we are a 10-11 win team and contending for the west without a doubt.

The kid has a chance to be special and if it doesn't work out he has a pretty great fall back plan.

But he had to transfer to be a starter. You are not changing my mind about the Big 12 defenses making QB look good.

thf24
08-27-2019, 09:50 AM
But he had to transfer to be a starter. You are not changing my mind about the Big 12 defenses making QB look good.

I'm pretty sure he transferred due to some internal conflict or bad management by Sumlin, not concerns over starting or playing time. He had passed Kyle Allen for the starting job in November of 2015, then they both announced they were transferring in December of that year, with Murray being the latter to do so. That series of events and timeline doesn't suggest he was worried about playing time going into 2016.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-27-2019, 09:53 AM
I'm pretty sure he transferred due to some internal conflict or bad management by Sumlin, not concerns over starting or playing time. He had passed Kyle Allen for the starting job in November of 2015, then they both announced they were transferring in December of that year, with Murray being the latter to do so. That series of events and timeline doesn't suggest he was worried about playing time going into 2016.

THIS

CadaverDawg
08-27-2019, 09:54 AM
IMO....

Kingsbury will not be a head coach in the NFL 2 years from today.

Murray won't be a starting QB 2 years from today.

That team will be really bad this year

Johnson85
08-27-2019, 10:33 AM

He has a chance to be special, but still seems crazy to draft an undersized qb when your roster is not in good shape otherwise. Seems like you have as good or better of a chance to build your roster up and get "lucky" with a qb in a later round than to draft a QB (other than a Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck type prospect) and then to build around them. Just too many of them will bust and/or get beat up before you have time to build up around them.

Jack Lambert
08-27-2019, 11:14 AM

What did he accomplish when he started. I remember SEC defenses running him down and him getting smacked around.

Drugdog
08-27-2019, 11:16 AM
He will be the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf.

BrunswickDawg
08-27-2019, 11:19 AM

And we can all name multiple 1st round talent athlete QBs who never made it in the NFL. Getting put in a situation like Murray can be a death sentence to a young talent - which is what I think most people are indicating. It is very conceivable that he busts because of it.

The flip side is he could have a career like Steve Young - a 1st round pick, toils for 3-4 seasons on a terrible team, gets traded to be a back up, then 4 years later gets his shot and has a HOF career.
Or, he could be Mike Vick - a unique talent that can take you far, but injury is just around the corner. The career projection of the QB position in the NFL is possibly the least predictable position in modern athletics .

thf24
08-27-2019, 11:37 AM
What did he accomplish when he started. I remember SEC defenses running him down and him getting smacked around.

He started two games as a true freshman against SEC defenses at A&M. Pretty good game against South Carolina, not great against Auburn, but how many true freshman QB's come straight out and light it up in the SEC? At Oklahoma he played two SEC defense, Georgia in '17 and Bama in '18, and put 48 and 34 points, respectively, on them.

All that is beside the point though. You said he couldn't start in the SEC, yet he did start some games as a true freshman in 2015 and mostly likely would have won the job over Trevor Knight in '16 had he stayed.

That said, I'm not arguing that he'll be a good pro. The odds are against him given his physical shortcomings and the management decisions the Cardinals are making.

ETA: Didn't play against Georgia in '17. Forgot that was still Mayfield.

BrunswickDawg
08-27-2019, 12:15 PM
Passing Defenses faced by Murray last year - Army (21), Bama (33), TCU (37), Iowa St (72), FAU (79), Baylor (83) UCLA (88), Kansas St (91), Kansas (92), WVA (106), Texas (110) twice, OSU (118), Texas Tech (129) - an average of 83.5 over 14 games
I would have loved to face that schedule.

We had UF (13), Iowa (17), UK (18), LT (28), Bama (33), LSU (38), UL (55), AU (58), UPig (87), KSU (91), A&M (98), OM (111) and SFA (FCS). An average of 52.8 over 12 games.

dawgs
08-27-2019, 12:31 PM
It seems like if you want to believe Murray will fail, you can find evidence that. If you want to believe Murray will succeed, you can find evidence to support that. Just to be clear, anyone making definitive statements either way is selectively choosing which evidence they want to ignore.

dawgs
08-27-2019, 12:36 PM
Passing Defenses faced by Murray last year - Army (21), Bama (33), TCU (37), Iowa St (72), FAU (79), Baylor (83) UCLA (88), Kansas St (91), Kansas (92), WVA (106), Texas (110) twice, OSU (118), Texas Tech (129) - an average of 83.5 over 14 games
I would have loved to face that schedule.

We had UF (13), Iowa (17), UK (18), LT (28), Bama (33), LSU (38), UL (55), AU (58), UPig (87), KSU (91), A&M (98), OM (111) and SFA (FCS). An average of 52.8 over 12 games.

I think that gap narrows a little bit if you remove Oklahoma from the teams they faced (improves their passing D rankings) and remove us from the teams we faced (hurts their passing D rankings). Does it make things equal? No, but it would give a better full picture. though offenses in the big 12 sling it more than the sec so inherently their total passing D numbers will be worse, so probably the best way to determine the difference is look at per play results when the games are still competitive (however that's defined but there's guidelines used to account for that in statistical analysis at both college and nfl levels) with both Oklahoma and MSU removed from their opponents' equations. That gives a better idea while minimizing the effects of the disparity of the 2 teams being comparing, the style of play, and blowouts going either way.