PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Artimus Samuel ?

FISHDAWG
10-25-2013, 10:08 AM
we burned his red-shirt last night and after watching M Johnson this year I can see why - not really knocking Malcolm here but it seems to me that we had much better effort / production from that position last year ..... Samuel looks like he can possibly fill that position next year ... blocked pretty good last night and has a little more speed than he looks ... nice two hand grab to extend a drive ... pretty good size guy ........ so is this just to get him some PT or is Dan a little put out with M Johnson ?

Political Hack
10-25-2013, 10:10 AM
I thought he and Clayborn looked damn good and are going to give us better
matchups against Bama, Sc, and A&M.

We need a big bruiser who can block and get downfield in a hurry. He fits that profile.

rtdawg
10-25-2013, 10:15 AM
So the question would be, why wait until now to do this? I agree, I thought they both played very well last night. Just don't understand why we wait until game 7 to bring them out. Even heard Mullen post-game say he probably should have played them sooner.....Just doesn't make sense to me to pick the 7th game to get them in.

hacker
10-25-2013, 10:16 AM
i think you mean Artimas Sameul

He looked good on that catch. Saw him a few other times but didn't see his impact on those plays.

HancockCountyDog
10-25-2013, 10:16 AM
So the question would be, why wait until now to do this? I agree, I thought they both played very well last night. Just don't understand why we wait until game 7 to bring them out. Even heard Mullen post-game say he probably should have played them sooner.....Just doesn't make sense to me to pick the 7th game to get them in.

All I know is that they better play big roles in the offense from here on out - burning redshirts in the 7th game of the season is bordering on a Milesesque type decision.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Burned their red shirts the seventh game of the season. Guess Shumpert is getting lonely on the wasted year shelf**

FISHDAWG
10-25-2013, 10:18 AM
i think you mean Artimas Sameul

He looked good on that catch. Saw him a few other times but didn't see his impact on those plays.
if you re-watch the game check out his blocking ... this is actually what caught my eye

FISHDAWG
10-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Burned their red shirts the seventh game of the season. Guess Shumpert is getting lonely on the wasted year shelf**

^^^ I hear that Redmond is giving him counseling & therapy ^^^ **

chef dixon
10-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Did we play 4 tightends last night? Ridiculous.

slickdawg
10-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Mojo is more of a receiver than a blocker
Warren got what 2-3 flags
Hill has his moments

Nobody stepping up to own the position, so I guess Dan felt Sameul fit the bill. He looked pretty good to me, as did Clayborn. We will need depth down the stretch, both of these guys give us that.

Thick
10-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Ol' Rufus got flagged for holding and false start both on third down conversions.

FlabLoser
10-25-2013, 10:50 AM
WHY THE HELL CAN'T WE SPELL OUR PLAYERS NAMES RIGHT?

HereComesTheSpiral
10-25-2013, 10:59 AM
WHY THE HELL CAN'T WE SPELL OUR PLAYERS NAMES RIGHT?

So they can keep their red shirts**

FISHDAWG
10-25-2013, 11:00 AM
that's all you have to add ?????

smootness
10-25-2013, 11:02 AM
These are the kind of decisions I don't generally blame coaches for. It's just tough to know when is the right time to burn a redshirt. First, Samuel is a prep guy, so like Coman, in many ways he got his redshirt year last year. I know he still could have been redshirted, but he at least already had his year of development, and it may have fit the future depth chart better to keep him on his original schedule when he signed.

But then, yes, it does bring up the question of why we would wait until gave 7. But again, it's just not an easy decision. It's easy for us to look back and say, well, why not play him earlier in the year? And apparently Mullen had some of the same thoughts.

But maybe he originally felt we had enough TEs and might redshirt Samuel, so he didn't want to play him too early and burn it...but at some point decided Samuel was too good, and our current TEs underperforming too much, and wanted to use him...but then, when, exactly is the right time to make that decision one way or another?

Game 7 seems late, but maybe Mullen plans on involving him quite a bit from here on out. Who knows...all I'm saying, after this rambling post, is that the decision is never easy, so it's hard to fault coaches for it, except in situations like Arceto Clark's.

I definitely don't consider Shumpert's year wasted, and I've already stated many times why. If he's that good, he won't be around 5 years anyway. We need Clayborn to get reps so he can be ready to be counted on next year.

FlabLoser
10-25-2013, 11:02 AM
I thought Samuel looked great. His is a big body that can do all the things a TE needs to do. I'm OK with burning his RS and wish we did it sooner.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Last year Sallach was moved to an off the field position and when Brewster left, we were caught with our pants down and placed him back as the TE position coach. Does anyone know or think that Sallach will back to the position that was created for him or will we continue to see lack of production from the TE spot?