PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I've been asleep at the wheel, but I haven't seen a NCAA document

TaleofTwoDogs
08-26-2019, 05:22 PM
that states that we are subject to player suspensions. The NCAA Negotiated Resolution Letter doesn't mention suspensions (unless it was redacted). Has anybody actually seen an official document or is it just rumor at this point.

CadaverDawg
08-26-2019, 05:35 PM
If it isn't official, we should abandon that internal punishment after seeing the penalties they handed down.

dantheman4248
08-26-2019, 05:44 PM
If it isn't official, we should abandon that internal punishment after seeing the penalties they handed down.

Looking at the two deep makes me wonder if we did.

confucius say
08-26-2019, 05:47 PM

I thought the penalties were light considering academic fraud and payment for tests. I?m shocked all 10 are even able to play again honestly.

CadaverDawg
08-26-2019, 05:58 PM
I thought the penalties were light considering academic fraud and payment for tests. I?m shocked all 10 are even able to play again honestly.

They're not horrible, but considering UNC got zero punishment, it could be viewed as excessive. I don't think the penalties are that bad, but I see why people could considering the NCAA's inconsistency.

One thing is for sure....if the NCAA wasn't forcing suspensions, I'd play them all bc the sanctions were punishment enough.

DancingRabbit
08-26-2019, 06:14 PM
All players involved are declared permanently ineligible. MSU then applies for re-instatement.

I think there is some kind of formula or guideline for the suspensions, and if we're too lenient then they could reject our re-instatement application.

There is a policy that allows staggering or delaying suspensions when multiple students are involved. Otherwise you are supposed to serve the suspension before playing.

Really Clark?
08-26-2019, 06:16 PM
They're not horrible, but considering UNC got zero punishment, it could be viewed as excessive. I don't think the penalties are that bad, but I see why people could considering the NCAA's inconsistency.

One thing is for sure....if the NCAA wasn't forcing suspensions, I'd play them all bc the sanctions were punishment enough.

It was debatable whether the UNC case should have even been investigated by the NCAA with regards to athletics. That was a class open to everyone and taken by students across the board. Not solely athletes. The biggest issue was with accreditation and they took a hit in the academic world.

DancingRabbit
08-26-2019, 06:29 PM
It was debatable whether the UNC case should have even been investigated by the NCAA with regards to athletics. That was a class open to everyone and taken by students across the board. Not solely athletes. The biggest issue was with accreditation and they took a hit in the academic world.

I wonder if we looked for non-athlete academic misconduct? If we had discovered and documented numerous non-athlete violations then maybe we could have taken a UNC approach.

I don't think Dr. Keenum likes to get cute with compliance, so we may have never even looked beyond the one tutor.

Cowbell
08-26-2019, 06:33 PM
I wonder if we looked for non-athlete academic misconduct? If we had discovered and documented numerous non-athlete violations then maybe we could have taken a UNC approach.

I don't think Dr. Keenum likes to get cute with compliance, so we may have never even looked beyond the one tutor.

Yes we looked into it - was discussed in depth Friday on here.

MedDawg
08-26-2019, 07:17 PM
that states that we are subject to player suspensions. The NCAA Negotiated Resolution Letter doesn't mention suspensions (unless it was redacted). Has anybody actually seen an official document or is it just rumor at this point.

I've read the NCAA's August 23, 2019 "Negotiated Resolution" which describes the individual infractions and school penalties, and there is nothing about players sitting out games. If State self-proposed the game penalties you'd think the NCAA would have included those in the document.

Todd4State
08-26-2019, 07:18 PM

Speaking of UNC I would have argued that the tutor was available and helped other students cheat. I'm guessing that's most likely the case anyway as it sounds like this was a student doing this on their own.

I do think that what we offered up was excessive- especially since we had "exemplary cooperation". I think we probably could have gotten away with four game suspensions apiece at the very least.

Todd4State
08-26-2019, 07:20 PM

Absolutely. I somehow glossed over this post before I made my last one.

The thing about it is the player's names are going to be redacted because of the privacy laws. The depth chart is not going to reflect it either since the hardcore fans like myself and others on here could easily put the pieces together with the proper information with missing pieces in it. Pretty smart on MSU's part honestly.

DancingRabbit
08-26-2019, 07:25 PM
I've read the entire August 23, 2019 "Negotiated Resolution" which describes the individual infractions and school penalties, and there is nothing about players sitting out games. If State self-proposed the game penalties you'd think the NCAA would have included those in the document.

Don't get your hopes up Med, there will be suspensions.

Key line from the Negotiated Resolution (page 2).

"The institution declared all 11 student-athletes ineligible and sought NCAA reinstatement."

Commercecomet24
08-26-2019, 07:33 PM
This was in the original 247 article in the penalties:

Within the two sports there are also penalties for the student-athletes responsible for the academic misconduct. Each will lose 70% of the complete playing season in their sport. For football this should work out to eight games during the 2019 season, and will be enforced on ten Bulldogs for their indiscretions.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-26-2019, 08:42 PM

Within the two sports there are also penalties for the student-athletes responsible for the academic misconduct. Each will lose 70% of the complete playing season in their sport. For football this should work out to eight games during the 2019 season, and will be enforced on ten Bulldogs for their indiscretions.

What is the source of this quote, was it the reporter's understanding of published rules or a direct quote from an athletic dept. spokesperson?

Also, if the student-athlete is declared ineligible then he is automatically suspended so why have a separate policy mandating a 70% suspension period since he is already on a 100% suspension until reinstatement. We are missing something.

85dog
08-26-2019, 08:48 PM

This what concerns me. 70% is 8.4 games ineligible and no one is mentioning that. They could lose 8 1/2 or 9 games.

Commercecomet24
08-26-2019, 09:51 PM
What is the source of this quote, was it the reporter's understanding of published rules or a direct quote from an athletic dept. spokesperson?

Also, if the student-athlete is declared ineligible then he is automatically suspended so why have a separate policy mandating a 70% suspension period since he is already on a 100% suspension until reinstatement. We are missing something.

Good questions. I'm assuming Paul and Steve got this info for the article from someone in the athletic dept but they didn't give their source in the article. The whole things been kinda strange

Todd4State
08-27-2019, 12:54 AM
This what concerns me. 70% is 8.4 games ineligible and no one is mentioning that. They could lose 8 1/2 or 9 games.

Are we going off of 12 or 13 games?

I wouldn't be surprised with as much substitution as there is in football that we find enough time to make up the fraction of percentage of time after eight. And remember- that also includes time that the opposite side of the ball is on the field too.

KentuckyDawg13
08-27-2019, 08:15 AM
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/infractions/decisions/Aug2019INF_MississippiStateNRPUBLICAgreement.pdf

Homedawg
08-27-2019, 10:07 AM
Yes we looked into it - was discussed in depth Friday on here.

This...It's been said multiple times. We looked and looked deep. Didn't have that angle to use.