PDA

View Full Version : Former Doctor for Penn State Football

BrunswickDawg
08-26-2019, 03:06 PM
Interesting lawsuit - https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2019/08/26/james-franklin-lawsuit-pressured-penn-state-doctor-clear-injured-players/2123674001/

TL,DNR - Former doctor for PSU football claims he was pressured by Franklin to clear players, and when reported was fired for it. No specific athletes mentioned, but it follows along well with some of the rumored issues surrounding Tommy Stevens transfer.

Jack Lambert
08-26-2019, 03:22 PM
What's up with the Big 10 and team doctors?

Scared_Hitless
08-26-2019, 03:41 PM
Not good news this is the type of thing if proven true can get any coach sent packing. The main worry here is if we perform and Franklin is canned their first call is to Joe.

msstate7
08-26-2019, 03:49 PM
Not good news this is the type of thing if proven true can get any coach sent packing. The main worry here is if we perform and Franklin is canned their first call is to Joe.

And the doctor should lose his license. No one should be able to pressure a doctor into putting a player in harms way

wmccgc
08-26-2019, 03:49 PM
Does this help explain Stevens leaving?

TrapGame
08-26-2019, 03:51 PM
And the doctor should lose his license. No one should be able to pressure a doctor into putting a player in harms way

He violated his Hippocratic Oath. He will probably lose his license for good.

BeastMan
08-26-2019, 03:54 PM
Franklin is a good coach but this guy is one scandal after another. He must be a total scumbag

msstate7
08-26-2019, 03:54 PM

Didn't this doctor just open himself up to being sued?

TrapGame
08-26-2019, 04:04 PM
Didn't this doctor just open himself up to being sued?

Yep.

RocketDawg
08-26-2019, 04:10 PM

Maybe I just didn't read it right, but the doctor never said (in the article) that he actually cleared players to play that were still injured; he said he was pressured by Franklin to do so, and reported him, then got fired.

TrapGame
08-26-2019, 04:20 PM
Maybe I just didn't read it right, but the doctor never said (in the article) that he actually cleared players to play that were still injured; he said he was pressured by Franklin to do so, and reported him, then got fired.

Okay, as long as he upholds his oath to do no harm he's in the clear. If he violates that oath he loses his license and it's a bitch to get it back, if at all.

JoseBrown
08-26-2019, 04:30 PM
If he got fired for refusing to clear injured players or for reporting Franklin for pressuring him to clear injured players the doctor himself may have a pretty good lawsuit of his own.

msstate7
08-26-2019, 04:31 PM
If he got fired for refusing to clear injured players or for reporting Franklin for pressuring him to clear injured players the doctor himself may have a pretty good lawsuit of his own.

I'd think proving that would be hard

JoseBrown
08-26-2019, 04:44 PM
I'd think proving that would be hard

May be, depends on who can testify for him or what audio/video he has....or he could be a puss and quit. I have no idea the circumstances. But if he felt pressured enough to quit, then I think it's safe to say he should keep his license and no one would have grounds for a suit against him.

Lord McBuckethead
08-26-2019, 05:48 PM
Okay, as long as he upholds his oath to do no harm he's in the clear. If he violates that oath he loses his license and it's a bitch to get it back, if at all.

Just wondering, but a doctor can recommend that a person not play, but it just a reccomendation. I mean if a guy wants to play with a broken clavicle regardless of being "cleared" he could, right?

RocketDawg
08-26-2019, 06:47 PM

His suit is only for $50,000 against Franklin, a pretty trivial amount. He's either not too serious, or is just suing to prove his point.