PDA

View Full Version : Most Talented MSU Team Ever?

ShotgunDawg
08-26-2019, 08:27 AM
So 247 just released their college team talent rankings today, & MSU is ranked 21st. Since 247 started keeping track of such things in 2015, this is the best roster that MSU has ever had.

Of note, MSU's roster talent is ranked ahead of UCLA, Texas A&M(Yes we actually are), Ole Miss, Nebraska, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State, 20 spots better than Mizzou.

Everyone looks at what we lost & have questions about what we've gained, but what is important to note is: OUR BASE TALENT LEVEL, MEANING THE AVERAGE MSU FOOTBALL PLAYER, IS BETTER THAN THAT PLAYER HAS EVER BEEN.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

msstate7
08-26-2019, 08:31 AM
Clemson is the 9th most talented team behind Texas, usc, and FSU. Seems legit

ShotgunDawg
08-26-2019, 08:34 AM

Clemson has the best combination of QB, Coach, & Coordinators that college football has seen in decades along with an extremely easy schedule.

If Clemson was in the SEC West, I think most people would predict them to lose a game or two.

msstate7
08-26-2019, 08:37 AM
Clemson has the best combination of QB, Coach, & Coordinators that college football has seen in decades along with an extremely easy schedule.

If Clemson was in the SEC West, I think most people would predict them to lose a game or two.

The problem with this metic is difference makers make a difference. How many elite players you have is more important than the avg player you have imo

ShotgunDawg
08-26-2019, 08:39 AM
The problem with this metic is difference makers make a difference. How many elite players you have is more important than the avg player you have imo

I'm not disagreeing with you & it's why these rankings only matter in brackets of about 10. Meaning that if teams are separated by about 10 or fewer talent spots, talent won't have a ton of effect on the outcome.

While the rankings don't at all tell you who the better team is, they are a pretty solid starting point in starting to reason out who the better team is. There are many other factors that determine who wins games, but base talent is absolutely one of them.

You have to admit though, it's pretty shocking to see that our base talent level is better than A&M's. I would say the perception is very much the opposite.

msstate7
08-26-2019, 08:39 AM
I do like that we've made a jump in overall talent don't get me wrong.

BulldogDX55
08-26-2019, 08:50 AM

You gotta keep in mind that Clemson is relatively new on the scene for elite recruiting- they've only been doing that for less than five years. They'll go up on this list the next two years most likely.

thf24
08-26-2019, 08:53 AM
Probably not much since it's (I assume) an average of the entire roster, but I wonder how much Sweat and Abram being underrated as JUCO's pushed us down last year.

Scared_Hitless
08-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Clemson has been buoyed so to speak by elite QB play the last 5 years. The crazy part is now their recruiting is catching up to their coaching they could be scary going forward. They have very little turnover on their staff and top flight skill players. Very excited to watch them open up Thursday and see how Lawrence has progressed. The thing about a great QB they can elevate your team. Watson and Lawrence have done that for Clemson. Now they are recruiting at Alabama levels and I think they have a better overall coaching staff.

ShotgunDawg
08-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Probably not much since it's (I assume) an average of the entire roster, but I wonder how much Sweat and Abram being underrated as JUCO's pushed us down last year.

For sure, but Cole, Rivers, Tommy Stevens, Zuber, Payton, Andrews, & Errol are also underrated this year.

I also think the bottom of our roster are better players than they have ever been.

R2Dawg
08-26-2019, 11:43 AM
For sure, but Cole, Rivers, Tommy Stevens, Zuber, Payton, Andrews, & Errol are also underrated this year.

I also think the bottom of our roster are better players than they have ever been.

Agree. MSU and under rated are the same thing. When has there ever been legitimate accurate evaluations on MSU teams/players? I do think we are getting more notice there too though. Heard McElroy on SECN other night say Thompson was his star coming out this year that not enough people are talking about. Gotta agree with him.

DancingRabbit
08-26-2019, 12:06 PM
recently I was looking at our recruiting and S&P+ over the last few years. We are trending in the right direction.

Recruiting rank 4 year average
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2019/2/7/18215228/college-football-recruiting-rankings-2019-class

S&P+ 5 year average
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/2/5/18211679/college-football-rankings-last-five-years-florida-state-pac-12

CadaverDawg
08-26-2019, 12:20 PM
Talent is definitely improving, and that is exciting. Let's hope the coaching does its part to maximize that talent's potential now.

It's rare when you find the coaching/development AND recruiting aspect at a high level, and when you do, you win big. With Mullen, he had great coaching but was lacking on the recruiting side. If you combine Joe's recruiting with Dan's coaching/development you have a recipe for success. Joe still has time to prove he has the coaching side, and has already proven he's a step up in bringing in better talent. This is a big year for Joe. He can silence a lot of last year's critics (like me) with a good offensive year. I'm rooting for him, bc he's definitely raising our talent level, which is a huge key in taking that next step that Dan couldn't take at MSU.

Coach007
08-26-2019, 12:23 PM
Talent is definitely improving, and that is exciting. Let's hope the coaching does its part to maximize that talent's potential now.

It's rare when you find the coaching AND recruiting aspect at a high level, and when you do, you win big. With Mullen, he had great coaching but was lacking on the recruiting side. If you combine Joe's recruiting with Dan's coaching/development you have a recipe for success. Joe still has time to prove he has the coaching side, and has already proven he's a step up in bringing in better talent. This is a big year for Joe. He can silence a lot of last year's critics (like me) with a good offensive year. I'm rooting for him, bc he's definitely raising our talent level, which is a huge key in taking that next step that Dan couldn't take at MSU.

That's obvious with looking at LSU, Auburn.... Ohio State...

There are teams out there that do way less with way MORE.

ATTILLA THE DOG
08-26-2019, 12:43 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you & it's why these rankings only matter in brackets of about 10. Meaning that if teams are separated by about 10 or fewer talent spots, talent won't have a ton of effect on the outcome.

While the rankings don't at all tell you who the better team is, they are a pretty solid starting point in starting to reason out who the better team is. There are many other factors that determine who wins games, but base talent is absolutely one of them.

You have to admit though, it's pretty shocking to see that our base talent level is better than A&M's. I would say the perception is very much the opposite.

Our base talent level is not better than a&m on paper,on the field ours has been better of late, they have a 89.2 per recruit ranking on 53 recruits. We have a 87.1 on 85 recruits, we are ahead in total points because of a 32 recruit difference.

Tbonewannabe
08-26-2019, 12:52 PM
Our base talent level is not better than a&m on paper,on the field ours has been better of late, they have a 89.2 per recruit ranking on 53 recruits. We have a 87.1 on 85 recruits, we are ahead in total points because of a 32 recruit difference.

Why is A&M only getting ranked on 53? It isn't like they only have 53 players on their roster.

BrunswickDawg
08-26-2019, 12:54 PM

How in the world do they have a 32 recruit difference? That has to be some sort of mistake.

Tbonewannabe
08-26-2019, 12:58 PM
I would say that we are getting 4 star talent across the lines now with Cross being a 5 star. Our Dline is pretty much 4 stars across the board with a few bumping close to 5. The one place we are lacking that high level talent is unfortunately WR but it doesn't take more than 1 or 2 guys to make that position great.

ATTILLA THE DOG
08-26-2019, 01:01 PM
Why is A&M only getting ranked on 53? It isn't like they only have 53 players on their roster.

Don't know here is the link to 247. https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

DancingRabbit
08-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Don't know here is the link to 247. https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Seems to be something wrong there.

A&M's 4-year average is 8th
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2019/2/7/18215228/college-football-recruiting-rankings-2019-class

I seen it dawg
08-27-2019, 06:54 AM
The staff is working their ass off to get players here