PDA

View Full Version : How do you get suspended players ready for certain games?

msstate7
08-25-2019, 05:53 PM
I've never been a part of an sec football practice, but I would think you'd give your reps to the players expected to play that week. So if you know autry and gay aren't playing this week, how many reps can you give them? Also, let's say we save autry and gay for Kentucky, that would be their first game action so I'd think it would take a minute considering their opponents' would have several games under their belt. Then if you skip a game or two, you'd have the same issue in the next game. Again though, I'm guessing on how this works, but it seems playing them 4 games in a row would be the best way to utilize them

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 06:12 PM
On weeks where they aren't dressing, I'd put them on scout team & let them play against the 1s. That'll get them ready.

I hear you on playing them 4 straight weeks, but I just think we can do better than that. Use them for maximum leverage

msstate7
08-25-2019, 06:18 PM
On weeks where they aren't dressing, I'd put them on scout team & let them play against the 1s. That'll get them ready.

I hear you on playing them 4 straight weeks, but I just think we can do better than that. Use them for maximum leverage

The 4 they choose is fascinating to me. I think Kentucky is a must after our poor sec start last season

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 06:23 PM

This is the correct answer.

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 06:26 PM
The 4 they choose is fascinating to me. I think Kentucky is a must after our poor sec start last season

I'm fine with Kentucky, one of Auburn & Tennessee (Need depth on back to back weeks), LSU, & either A&M or Ole Miss (Depends on depth & development of other guys late in the season)

the list of priorities in deciding which games they play:

1. Health of the position unit
2. Importance of the game weighed with our chances of actually winning it.
3. Matchups. In some games, we will simply need more depth at DT than others or need a lightening fast LB. Depends on matchup
4. Rivalry

msstate7
08-25-2019, 06:28 PM
I'm fine with Kentucky, one of Auburn & Tennessee (Need depth on back to back weeks), LSU, & either A&M or Ole Miss (Depends on depth & development of other guys late in the season)

If skipping doesn't affect the effectiveness of them, I'd use them for Kentucky, tenn, LSU, and om.

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 06:28 PM

I sit out Autry, Gay, and Crumedy the first three regardless. Wait until some statistical trends of some sort emerge- and then play them against the four best rushing teams in the SEC on our schedule. They sit out homecoming regardless.

It also depends on the position. With Mayden and Dolla Bill I sit them out the first eight regardless because that way if they are needed it would be most likely later in the year anyway. Same with Whop.

Use Murphy against the four best passing offenses on our SEC schedule after three weeks.

Furdge, Jett, and Jaylon Reed are special teamers this year at best. Have them sit out the first eight so that they are available for depth if needed later in the year.

The choosing the game is a fascinating caveat to all of this. NFL fans may have these kinds of discussions if the union gets the NFL to limit how many games a player can participate in.

msstate7
08-25-2019, 06:29 PM
Another thing to consider is playing autry and gay in different sec games. That way you don't lose both in any one game

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 06:35 PM
If skipping doesn't affect the effectiveness of them, I'd use them for Kentucky, tenn, LSU, and om.

I think the A&M game has to be in play potentially. I think we can beat OM at home without those guys but that A&M game could be huge for bowl positioning

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 06:35 PM
Another thing to consider is playing autry and gay in different sec games. That way you don't lose both in any one game

Absolutely. I think Gay is more of an impact guy in the passing game and of course Autry is more valuable against the run.

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 06:36 PM

Absolutely. That's where matchups come into play IMO.

It's why Gay may be more useful against A&M than Autry

I seen it dawg
08-25-2019, 06:36 PM
Will be interesting for sure how the staff handles it. And it will be hard to fault them for whatever they do bc I don't recall any team having to deal with this situation.

I seen it dawg
08-25-2019, 06:37 PM
It will all be a crapshoot and learning

ShotgunDawg
I also like the staff being able to hide who is playing that week.

No knowing if you need to prepare for Willie Gay or not is a big deal

msstate7
I think the A&M game has to be in play potentially. I think we can beat OM at home without those guys but that A&M game could be huge for bowl positioning

Autry has to play OM game, senior night. Well, I don't guess he has to, but you'd think that he should

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 06:38 PM
Autry has to play OM game, senior night. Well, I don't guess he has to, but you'd think that he should

I would play him simply because of the style of offense that will be running. I expect them to be 70% run this year conservatively. I think Arizona was closer to 80% in Rich Rod's last year.

Dawgology
08-25-2019, 06:39 PM
And you don’t have to play them all at the same time. You can sit 3 or 4 here and there and mix and match. It’ll be ok

85dog
08-25-2019, 07:02 PM
I agree totally that the coaches need to mix and match depending on the games and the need at certain positions. A mix and match of the first six SEC games makes the most sense but then you have the Egg Bowl, that should be win without any of those players. I have not seen this on any board but an attorney friend of mine said that every player will actually have to miss 8 1/2 games because this is not a suspension but they are ineligible for 70% of the games which is 8.4 games. Has anyone else heard this?

BuckyIsAB****
08-25-2019, 10:59 PM

They may quit on you if put them on scout team all year but it will teach them a lesson and make your eligible players better for sure.

I think this may get us another year of Willie Gay if he is suspended bc I had heard he was planning on leaving after this year. Autry really messed up and probably cost himself some money bc no team is drafting you without a lot of tape and this cost him a ton of snaps. Willie Gay is going to be a high draft pick barring a bad injury or life in prison which aint happening

CadaverDawg
08-25-2019, 11:33 PM
I sit out Autry, Gay, and Crumedy the first three regardless. Wait until some statistical trends of some sort emerge- and then play them against the four best rushing teams in the SEC on our schedule. They sit out homecoming regardless.

It also depends on the position. With Mayden and Dolla Bill I sit them out the first eight regardless because that way if they are needed it would be most likely later in the year anyway. Same with Whop.

Use Murphy against the four best passing offenses on our SEC schedule after three weeks.

Furdge, Jett, and Jaylon Reed are special teamers this year at best. Have them sit out the first eight so that they are available for depth if needed later in the year.

The choosing the game is a fascinating caveat to all of this. NFL fans may have these kinds of discussions if the union gets the NFL to limit how many games a player can participate in.

Crumedy isn't one of the suspended players from what I've been told

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 11:47 PM
Crumedy isn't one of the suspended players from what I've been told

Yes. That was a mistake on my part.