PDA

View Full Version : Let?s talk DT situation

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 01:42 PM
First of all, I do not want this discussion to lead to how bad we are going to get run over or some personal agenda you have. By now we all know where everyone stands on just about every aspect of our team. Let?s make this a mature conversation if possible.

Assuming Autry is out, what does our DT situation look like and what OPTIMISM is there that we can possibly have these holes plugged by week 5? Is there something you?ve seen at practice? Going against our really experienced Oline? Again, let?s keep this positive. Feel free to disagree but let?s not chase rabbits.

maroonmania
08-25-2019, 01:45 PM
What is the holdup on the NCAA making a decision on Love one way or the other? We are less than a week from a live game.

ATTILLA THE DOG
08-25-2019, 01:47 PM
First of all, I do not want this discussion to lead to how bad we are going to get run over or some personal agenda you have. By now we all know where everyone stands on just about every aspect of our team. Let?s make this a mature conversation if possible.

Assuming Autry is out, what does our DT situation look like and what OPTIMISM is there that we can possibly have these holes plugged by week 5? Is there something you?ve seen at practice? Going against our really experienced Oline? Again, let?s keep this positive. Feel free to disagree but let?s not chase rabbits.

I have heard Cam Young might surprise some folks

Shooter McGavin
08-25-2019, 01:59 PM
Assuming Autry and Willie Gay are 2 of the suspended, if we can't beat ULL, USM, and Kansas State minus both of them we have bigger problems anyway. Nathan Pickering will get some early reps and that's a good thing. This soft early schedule is tremendous for us to figure some stuff out.

These suspensions will test our depth especially if we have an injury or 2, but assuming we stay healthy I don't think it affects our the bottom line for our season. Especially when we will be at full strength for most of our toss up games.

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 01:59 PM
What is the holdup on the NCAA making a decision on Love one way or the other? We are less than a week from a live game.

Not sure what the holdup is, but we need a decision ASAP so the coaches can at least prepare for reality.

Obviously every situation is unique, but I don't see why his teammate at Louisville was just made eligible at FSU & Love wouldn't be eligible at MSU.

Hopefully good news will come early this week

Coach007
08-25-2019, 02:01 PM

Should know before the team leaves for Cajun country

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 02:03 PM

You'd think they would do it early this week. Kind of unfair to all involved to let this linger past about Tuesday. People need to know

Coach007
08-25-2019, 02:05 PM

I think we will be above average at DT. Lovett is a beast. You need a 4 man rotation and I think we have that.

FriarsPoint
08-25-2019, 02:05 PM
You'd think they would do it early this week. Kind of unfair to all involved to let this linger past about Tuesday. People need to know

With what they handed down earlier this week, I wouldn’t count on him being eligible.

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 02:06 PM

Is he enrolled in classes and practicing? If so when did he join the team?

R2Dawg
There are not many years we could survive this but we have some good young talent and we have some major talent on the outside, two deep. Look for at least one or two to move inside some or play a 3 down with some different looks on a blitz from an extra DE from anywhere.

We have talent up front it is just not experienced or balanced across like last year. Shoop can coach a scheme and we can still be successful. You can blitz to stop the run too.

Key thing is we can't have any major injuries on first two levels. Our talent on the back end in coverage also allows us to be a little more thin up front. If the back end was weak, I'd be lot more concerned but it isn't.

We will still be top 25 D.

Coach007

I agree. With him, things are easier forsure

ShotgunDawg
With what they handed down earlier this week, I wouldn’t count on him being eligible.

I don't see the correlation

Seriously, the two situations have absolutely nothing to do with each other

Coach007
08-25-2019, 02:07 PM
Is he enrolled in classes and practicing? If so when did he join the team?

Yes and yes. Has been all summer

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 02:07 PM
I think we will be above average at DT. Lovett is a beast. You need a 4 man rotation and I think we have that.

Has Lovett shown out in practice? Curious? Just haven’t heard much out of him this offseason.

FriarsPoint
08-25-2019, 02:09 PM
I don't see the correlation

Seriously, the two situations have absolutely nothing to do with each other

When has that ever made a difference with the ncaa?

Coach007
08-25-2019, 02:11 PM
There are not many years we could survive this but we have some good young talent and we have some major talent on the outside, two deep. Look for at least one or two to move inside some or play a 3 down with some different looks on a blitz from an extra DE from anywhere.

We have talent up front it is just not experienced or balanced across like last year. Shoop can coach a scheme and we can still be successful. You can blitz to stop the run too.

Key thing is we can't have any major injuries on first two levels. Our talent on the back end in coverage also allows us to be a little more thin up front. If the back end was weak, I'd be lot more concerned but it isn't.

We will still be top 25 D.

A lot of people forget that in his freshman year, Lewis was beast. Like 80 tackles. With a great LB corp (which we have) some slack is ok.

I would be SHOCKED if we were not a top 20 or 15 Defense this year

Coach007
08-25-2019, 02:13 PM
Has Lovett shown out in practice? Curious? Just haven’t heard much out of him this offseason.

Yep... He even backed out into coverage and had an INT (if I remember correctly) He's good enough to beat out a SR.

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 02:15 PM
When has that ever made a difference with the ncaa?

I don't know. I'm not part of the NCAA

starkvegasdawg
08-25-2019, 02:30 PM

We're not an Alabama or Notre Dame. The ncaa will get around to a decision when they feel like if and not a moment sooner.

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 02:33 PM
Yes and yes. Has been all summer

Awesome! Thank you! How does he look?

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 02:35 PM
Yep... He even backed out into coverage and had an INT (if I remember correctly) He's good enough to beat out a SR.
Thank you again.

Thanks everyone for the good thread thus far

Homedawg
08-25-2019, 02:37 PM
The bright side of our situation is we will have some guys who are fairly talented and battle tested for the next 3 years. You need more than 4 dt's. Coach...

Coach007
08-25-2019, 02:43 PM
Awesome! Thank you! How does he look?

From reports, good... so has Jackson who switched back to the DL from the OL (which seems set for the next 3 years!)

Coach007
08-25-2019, 02:45 PM
The bright side of our situation is we will have some guys who are fairly talented and battle tested for the next 3 years. You need more than 4 dt's. Coach...

I'm speaking of the games without Autry and others.

No doubt we are thin. No doubt Shoop will rely on the Lbs helping in the run.

No doubt we will be a top 20 defense :)

Captain Falcon
08-25-2019, 03:52 PM
DT’s may have some growing pains this year, but this situation could be a blessing in disguise for 2020 and 2021. We’ve got a lot of young guys that will get a ton of experience this year. It may be a big question mark this year, but I think proven depth at other positions can help cushion the blow, and then DT could really be a position of strength in future years.

Not having Autry hurts, but this was his last year anyway. Lovett, Pickering, Young, etc., those guys are the future of that position, and now they’ll all play a meaningful role for 3-4 years. What may hurt us now could really help make us better in the long run.

Coach007
08-25-2019, 04:19 PM
DE: Sr. Chauncey Rivers, Sr. Fletcher Adams
NG: Sr. Lee Autry, So. James Jackson or Sr. Kendell Jones
DT: Rfr. Fabien Lovett, Rfr. Cameron Young or Rfr. Jaden Crumedy
DE: Jr. Marquiss Spencer, Jr. Kobe Jones

That's not a bad Line up

Jack Lambert
08-25-2019, 04:22 PM

I think Moorhead said that they thought they would know one way or another. Has he be practicing?

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 04:22 PM
DE: Sr. Chauncey Rivers, Sr. Fletcher Adams
NG: Sr. Lee Autry, So. James Jackson or Sr. Kendell Jones
DT: Rfr. Fabien Lovett, Rfr. Cameron Young or Rfr. Jaden Crumedy
DE: Jr. Marquiss Spencer, Jr. Kobe Jones

That's not a bad Line up

We'll only have Autry for 4 games & hopefully we can add Love to this

There could also be another suspension on this list, but there is no consensus on who that player is

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 04:23 PM
I think Moorhead said that they thought they would know one way or another. Has he be practicing?

Yes, he's been practicing & is ready to go, but we haven't heard yet on his eligibility

Coach007
08-25-2019, 04:28 PM

Yeah Jack. He has

Coach007
08-25-2019, 04:30 PM
We'll only have Autry for 4 games & hopefully we can add Love to this

There could also be another suspension on this list, but there is no consensus on who that player is

If Autry is gone for 8 I'm ok with that list without Love.

I really think people are overselling the blues on this.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2019, 05:19 PM
What's the scoop on Crumedy? I thought he was one of our top recruits, but nobody seems to be mentioning him much at all. Can he help us this year?

Coach007
08-25-2019, 05:25 PM
What's the scoop on Crumedy? I thought he was one of our top recruits, but nobody seems to be mentioning him much at all. Can he help us this year?

I think he will be in the rotation....

somebodyshotmypaw
08-25-2019, 05:33 PM
People forget the mix of talent and experience with Jeff Simmons, Tre Brown, Cory Thomas, and Braxton Hoyette. All were big, strong, physical, and experienced. I love Crumedy, Lovett, and Pickering. They are certainly big and talented. But they are young and green. Let's just hope they can clog the middle. I do expect some of the larger defensive ends to move inside on passing downs.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-25-2019, 05:33 PM

Unless he is one of the ones suspended, he will definitely get his chance.

Homedawg
08-25-2019, 05:41 PM
Unless he is one of the ones suspended, he will definitely get his chance.

He's not one of the ten. He's gonna play. Has to.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-25-2019, 05:45 PM

Good. Because if he's not one of the ten, he will get plenty of game reps. He will have plenty of chances to impress the coaches.

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 05:52 PM

Who is the 10th guy that no one mentions?

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 06:34 PM
People forget the mix of talent and experience with Jeff Simmons, Tre Brown, Cory Thomas, and Braxton Hoyette. All were big, strong, physical, and experienced. I love Crumedy, Lovett, and Pickering. They are certainly big and talented. But they are young and green. Let's just hope they can clog the middle. I do expect some of the larger defensive ends to move inside on passing downs.

We're trading experience for upside. Except for Simmons who we weren't going to replace anyway.

Whatever happened to Spencer possibly sliding down to DT? Did he just look awful there?

If not I would go with:

DE- Rivers, Russell
DT- Spencer, Crumedy
DT- Lovett, Young
DE- Kobe, Fletcher Adams.

Then we have Aaron Odom, Devon Robinson, and James Jackson. Not really a bad group at all.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-25-2019, 07:38 PM

Could be the other starter beside Lovett.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-25-2019, 07:39 PM
We're trading experience for upside. Except for Simmons who we weren't going to replace anyway.

Whatever happened to Spencer possibly sliding down to DT? Did he just look awful there?

If not I would go with:

DE- Rivers, Russell
DT- Spencer, Crumedy
DT- Lovett, Young

Then we have Aaron Odom, Devon Robinson, and James Jackson. Not really a bad group at all.

Spencer is starting at DE he won't be playing DT except for perhaps on passing downs.

Coach34
08-25-2019, 07:52 PM
We will not be in the top half of the SEC at DT. We will get exposed there. We have too many guys there that havent played bigtime college football. Pickering is also said to be someone that has to be RS'ed if we can find a way to do it. He aint ready. We are pretty good at DE- we are not very good at DT. Next year? We will be pretty good at DT.

We are going to get single blocked at DT fairly often and its going to take its toll. Bookmark this post.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2019, 07:53 PM
Could be the other starter beside Lovett.

Good to hear. Hate that we're in that spot, but glad to know he's capable to do it

Coach007
08-25-2019, 08:04 PM
We will not be in the top half of the SEC at DT. We will get exposed there. We have too many guys there that havent played bigtime college football. Pickering is also said to be someone that has to be RS'ed if we can find a way to do it. He aint ready. We are pretty good at DE- we are not very good at DT. Next year? We will be pretty good at DT.

We are going to get single blocked at DT fairly often and its going to take its toll. Bookmark this post.

And we will still be a top 20 defense

Coach34
08-25-2019, 08:13 PM

Hope so. I dont see it because we will get run on more and the pass rush will be worse because of the DT situation. We could be alot more bend but dont break style and be stingy with points tho for sure. Force alot of FG's. I think top 20 in points allowed is possible but no damn way in yards allowed. I'll be surprised if ULL doesnt throw up at least 20 on us

Homedawg
08-25-2019, 08:16 PM

I doubt it. And an injury away from mid pack in the league at best.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-25-2019, 08:36 PM

Some valid points here. Simmons demanded double teams constantly. If teams can single block our interior consistently, then the row gets much tougher to hoe. The SEC is a line of scrimmage league. Our defensive ends are good. But if Autry is suspended, we will have lost our top 6 tackles from last year (Simmons, Hoyette, Thomas, Brown, Autry, Harris). How many teams can lose their entire 3-deep at a position and not have significant drop-off?

Homedawg
08-25-2019, 08:43 PM
Some valid points here. Simmons demanded double teams constantly. If teams can single block our interior consistently, then the row gets much tougher to hoe. The SEC is a line of scrimmage league. Our defensive ends are good. But if Autry is suspended, we will have lost our top 6 tackles from last year (Simmons, Hoyette, Thomas, Brown, Autry, Harris). How many teams can lose their entire 3-deep at a position and not have significant drop-off?
This guy gets it...

R2Dawg
08-25-2019, 08:52 PM
Hope so. I dont see it because we will get run on more and the pass rush will be worse because of the DT situation. We could be alot more bend but dont break style and be stingy with points tho for sure. Force alot of FG's. I think top 20 in points allowed is possible but no damn way in yards allowed. I'll be surprised if ULL doesnt throw up at least 20 on us

One big factor that no one is considering. I think our O will be pretty good. The best friend to a D is a good O. Keep the ball away from the other teams O is a real good D. Be a good year to have that play out and it is possible with our O potential.

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 08:53 PM
Here’s a thought to bookmark...

What if our offense turns around and we start airing it out and score quickly at times?

What does this do to the pressure on our DTs?

Theoretical here but it is possible. Is the best answer to our DT situation our offense?

whosyourdawgy
08-25-2019, 09:02 PM
Y?all are all worried about the defensive line w Autry out. He?s a big loss for certain. But in my opinion, Willie Gay being gone for 8 games is much more concerning. Who is gonna be the LB that steps in there? Washington? Brule? Johnson? And will they be able to wear one of Willie?s shoes?

BuckyIsAB****
08-25-2019, 09:05 PM

Running an even front if you have more than 4 DTs that can play without you getting wrecked then you live in luxury. That is 2 groups you can rotate all game. Deke is a good coach we will be ok with 4. Wouldve been nice to have Autry and make it 5 but that will only be the case in 4 or however many games.

Out of all the DTs I think Kobe Jones is the only one big enough to play inside. Fletcher can do it on 3rd down bc of his motor

Homedawg
Johnson is out too. Washington isn't the answer. Brule is going to be good in the future. Just that his future has been sped up...

Ifyouonlyknew
Y?all are all worried about the defensive line w Autry out. He?s a big loss for certain. But in my opinion, Willie Gay being gone for 8 games is much more concerning. Who is gonna be the LB that steps in there? Washington? Brule? Johnson? And will they be able to wear one of Willie?s shoes?

The immediate answer is Leo.

Coach34
08-25-2019, 09:06 PM
One big factor that no one is considering. I think our O will be pretty good. The best friend to a D is a good O. Keep the ball away from the other teams O is a real good D. Be a good year to have that play out and it is possible with our O potential.

Exactly- this is why I've been saying for the last 6 months this season will be interesting to watch. We have a good OL and 2 good RB's. We have brought in a good WR and a QB with potential but limited experience altho he is a veteran. Can Joe be disciplined enough to#RTGDF and control clock? Are we going to attempt to be 50/50 run-pass in spite of the strength of our offense and lack of DT's because our HC is stubborn? (This is where the JoVester tag comes in).

I'm really damn interested to see how all this will play out.

Homedawg
08-25-2019, 09:06 PM
Running an even front if you have more than 4 DTs that can play without you getting wrecked then you live in luxury. That is 2 groups you can rotate all game. Deke is a good coach we will be ok with 4. Wouldve been nice to have Autry and make it 5 but that will only be the case in 4 or however many games
We don't have 4 ready to play. That's the problem. Last year was a luxury playing 6 I get it.

Captain Falcon
08-25-2019, 09:07 PM
I don’t think anyone will debate that we won’t be as good at DT as we were last year. It’s just a matter of if we will still be serviceable or actually flat out bad at that position. I think we will strong enough in the secondary to where we can commit more guys in the box for run stopping and not get destroyed through the air, so that will help things.

Don’t get me wrong, I think DT is the biggest position of concern on our whole team, but I think we can still be adequate there. We’re very young there but it’s talented youth.

BuckyIsAB****
08-25-2019, 09:08 PM

If not I would go with:

DE- Rivers, Russell
DT- Spencer, Crumedy
DT- Lovett, Young

Spencer aint big enough to play in there.

Shoop will probably have to simplify it and play a lot more eagle or bear fronts. Let the DTs true 1 gap it and live with it. Lean on your LBs to make plays when it was opposite last year

BuckyIsAB****
08-25-2019, 09:10 PM
We don't have 4 ready to play. That's the problem. Last year was a luxury playing 6 I get it.

We dont really have a choice but to have 4 ready to play. That or play a lot more odd front this year. Blitz an edge player on the snap to turn it into an even front

Homedawg
08-25-2019, 09:17 PM
The immediate answer is Leo.

Which is great but he can't play 80 snaps and isn't as versatile as Willie.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-25-2019, 09:21 PM
Which is great but he can't play 80 snaps and isn't as versatile as Willie.

I don't disagree but he's a 40-50 snap guy. Brule has to be a 20-25 snap guy. The talent is there & he'll have 3-4 games to work on some of the kinks. Of course it's not optimal but it's all we have to work with right now.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Which 4 games do you let Autry play?

Gotta think LSU is one. Not sure I'd waste a game on Bama, since we won't win anyway. Which 4 you guys think Joe/Shoop will choose?

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 09:36 PM

Gotta think LSU is one. Not sure I'd waste a game on Bama, since we won't win anyway. Which 4 you guys think Joe/Shoop will choose?

Due to matchups:

I think Autry's 4 are Kentucky, Auburn, Tennessee, & LSU

I think Gay's 4 are Auburn, Tennessee, Texas A&M, LSU

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 09:37 PM

You play to win them all, especially with our talent. (Bama)

Coach007
08-25-2019, 09:39 PM
I don't disagree but he's a 40-50 snap guy. Brule has to be a 20-25 snap guy. The talent is there & he'll have 3-4 games to work on some of the kinks. Of course it's not optimal but it's all we have to work with right now.

Again, some people forget Lewis had 79 tackles, 4.5 TFL, with 1 sack. Had a PD and a BU as a true freshman. He was our 2nd leading tackler in his freshman year.

I think his lights are on now. SR year tends to do that

yjnkdawg
08-25-2019, 09:41 PM
Due to matchups:

I think Autry's 4 are Kentucky, Auburn, Tennessee, & LSU

I think Gay's 4 are Auburn, Tennessee, Texas A&M, LSU

I would think Autry possibly plays in the OM game instead of maybe the KY game, and possibly Gay plays in the Bama game instead of the TN game. JMO. Any injuries we have at those positions (hopefully we won't) could or would be a factor too.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2019, 09:42 PM

We've been playing to win that game, but never do. Nobody does. If we're undefeated or have 1 loss going into it...sure. If not, I'd let all 10 be suspended for that one.

Homedawg
08-25-2019, 09:43 PM

Agree

Homedawg
08-25-2019, 09:43 PM

So piss away a game. No.

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 09:44 PM
We've been playing to win that game, but never do. Nobody does. If we're undefeated or have 1 loss going into it...sure. If not, I'd let all 10 be suspended for that one.

Ole miss beat them 2 years in a row with less talent. Much less.

CadaverDawg
08-25-2019, 09:45 PM

And it took probation to do it.

Not worth arguing over though. I can agree to disagree about the Bama game. We aren't beating them with DT being our weakness though, we both know that.

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 09:46 PM
So piss away a game. No.

Explain how you would piss away a game by doing such. Please. If we have any coach ever forfeit a game before it’s played, he needs to go.

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 09:46 PM
Well look at us

CadaverDawg
08-25-2019, 09:48 PM
Well look at us

Ours wasn't to increase talent, unfortunately. Wish it had been

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 09:49 PM

Hold up. Did you just say that Ole Miss had less talent on those teams than we do now?

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 09:50 PM
And it took probation to do it.

Not worth arguing over though. I can agree to disagree about the Bama game. We aren't beating them with DT being our weakness though, we both know that.

Actually the key to beating them is letting them run the ball and then throwing on them. That’s the reason we hung with them last year. We backed men out of the box and then Clemson mimicked us.

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 09:50 PM
Hold up. Did you just say that Ole Miss had less talent on those teams than we do now?

Less talent than Bama

CadaverDawg
08-25-2019, 09:51 PM
Explain how you would piss away a game by doing such. Please. If we have any coach ever forfeit a game before it’s played, he needs to go.

You can play Autry in a game you'll lose regardless, therefore losing him for a winnable game, and thus potentially doubling your screw up. Not saying you forfeit, but Autry isn't the difference in us beating or not beating AlafreakingBama

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 09:51 PM
Ours wasn't to increase talent, unfortunately. Wish it had been

Touche

Cowbell
08-25-2019, 09:54 PM
I know this is out there, but this is the year we beat Bama in my opinion. May lose a stupid one to offset it.

yjnkdawg
08-25-2019, 10:00 PM
You can play Autry in a game you'll lose regardless, therefore losing him for a winnable game, and thus potentially doubling your screw up. Not saying you forfeit, but Autry isn't the difference in us beating or not beating AlafreakingBama

Agree. I think Gay would be more of a possible option against Bama than Autry, but then all of these decisions will be made by JoeMo on the best match ups and what he thinks will give us the better chance to win. DM always seemed to play Bama with the philosophy to keep from losing. I can't see JoeMo using that mindset.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-25-2019, 10:00 PM
Again, some people forget Lewis had 79 tackles, 4.5 TFL, with 1 sack. Had a PD and a BU as a true freshman. He was our 2nd leading tackler in his freshman year.

I think his lights are on now. SR year tends to do that

Leo redshirted. He didn't play as a true freshman.

Coach007
08-25-2019, 10:02 PM
Leo redshirted. He didn't play as a true freshman.

Right. still as a redshirt freshman. #2

TaleofTwoDogs
08-25-2019, 10:14 PM
Spencer aint big enough to play in there.

I thought Spencer was listed at 6'4" 285lbs. Not ideal but should be good enough to be in the DT rotation especially if he has showed out in the weight room.

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 10:35 PM

I don't think (hope) that the coaches are going to have this mindset. I fully expect them to do everything possible to beat Alabama despite the odds.

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 10:40 PM
I think the two big x-factors here are the fact that we while we are inexperienced I think we have more talent. DT is not a position where you have to have the most cerebral players. It does for the most part come down to physical strength for the most part and the good news is most of our DT's have been in our program and weight program for a year.

I think the other x-factor here is Shoop. I think he's the best DC we have had since Joe Lee Dunn. For example- Todd Grantham is a really good DC too. Shoop outperformed him statistically with essentially the same players. Shoop will definitely have to shine a little bit more to get it done and it will be more on him to get it done- but I think he is capable of doing it. Our DT's are probably not any worse than what he had to work with at Vanderbilt at times.

BuckyIsAB****
08-25-2019, 10:50 PM
I think the two big x-factors here are the fact that we while we are inexperienced I think we have more talent. DT is not a position where you have to have the most cerebral players. It does for the most part come down to physical strength for the most part and the good news is most of our DT's have been in our program and weight program for a year.

I think the other x-factor here is Shoop. I think he's the best DC we have had since Joe Lee Dunn. For example- Todd Grantham is a really good DC too. Shoop outperformed him statistically with essentially the same players. Shoop will definitely have to shine a little bit more to get it done and it will be more on him to get it done- but I think he is capable of doing it. Our DT's are probably not any worse than what he had to work with at Vanderbilt at times.

Its more cerebral than you think it is. I wont get into all the alignments and fronts but if you screw it up as a DT we have a gap open and if they hit it, its 88 and out the gate. Plus knowing what gap to go on which blitz and knowing not to fly up field on trap, option etc. Crossing the centers face when a guard pulls. It takes a lot to win a football game

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 11:08 PM
Its more cerebral than you think it is. I wont get into all the alignments and fronts but if you screw it up as a DT we have a gap open and if they hit it, its 88 and out the gate. Plus knowing what gap to go on which blitz and knowing not to fly up field on trap, option etc. Crossing the centers face when a guard pulls. It takes a lot to win a football game

Can you compare that kind of knowledge in high school to the SEC for me? In other words how much more complicated is it for our DT's and how much of what you are talking about should they already know coming out of high school and having a year to redshirt?

Also- I'm assuming that we are a one gap defense which I have been told is easier? Is that true as well?

BuckyIsAB****
08-25-2019, 11:15 PM
Can you compare that kind of knowledge in high school to the SEC for me? In other words how much more complicated is it for our DT's and how much of what you are talking about should they already know coming out of high school and having a year to redshirt?

It really all depends on where they come from. Some schools line up the same way over and over again especially up front so all of that will be new to them. But I would think all of them that are coached with any kind of effort will know that if they are a DE that you squeeze a down block and if you are a DT if you come unblocked you squeeze as well. If you see pull from a guard you cross the centers face.

Its different in an even front bc most of it is getting in a gap and going if you have something called. We ran a blitz vs Bama last year for example, we put Sweat and Simmons on the field side and twisted the backside end and tackle and sent Gay off the edge, created a 1 on 1 or Simmons and Sweat and got pressure. So on that one play Simmons and Sweat had to know to go left and the backside DT had to know to loop and backside end to long stick

Bothrops
08-26-2019, 12:47 AM
None of our suspended 2 deep should play in Bama game.

MarketingBully
08-26-2019, 06:38 AM
Exactly- this is why I've been saying for the last 6 months this season will be interesting to watch. We have a good OL and 2 good RB's. We have brought in a good WR and a QB with potential but limited experience altho he is a veteran. Can Joe be disciplined enough to#RTGDF and control clock? Are we going to attempt to be 50/50 run-pass in spite of the strength of our offense and lack of DT's because our HC is stubborn? (This is where the JoVester tag comes in).

I'm really damn interested to see how all this will play out.

I think this offense will more or less resemble his Penn State offenses of 2016 and 2017. We now have a QB who can stretch the field with his arm and have wideouts who have experience in this system but make no mistake just like his Penn State offenses then had Barkley this offense has Hill. Hill is going to be the feature player in this offense and Moorhead is going to do what he can to get him the ball. QBs, RBs, WRs, and TEs will love to play in this system once they actually see what it?s like. In the long run, I think we will be fine. This year I think our offense will be good enough for us to get to 8-4.

Cooterpoot
08-26-2019, 08:12 AM
The suspensions are going to hurt. They’re going to hurt a lot. Offense better be damn good.

maroonmania
08-26-2019, 10:57 AM
I would think Autry possibly plays in the OM game instead of maybe the KY game, and possibly Gay plays in the Bama game instead of the TN game. JMO. Any injuries we have at those positions (hopefully we won't) could or would be a factor too.

Please don't waste any playing time on Bama. This is going to be one of Saban's very best Bama teams and the SEC refs will NOT allow us to beat them in a close game anyway (which would be the only way we could win). If we waste one of Autry or Gay's 4 games on Bama we are stupid.

maroonmania
08-26-2019, 10:59 AM

Need to be at full force to have as best chance as we can for Auburn, TA&M and LSU. The other game I would be fine with either of KY, TN or OM.

Johnson85
08-26-2019, 04:52 PM
I don't think (hope) that the coaches are going to have this mindset. I fully expect them to do everything possible to beat Alabama despite the odds.

You don't save them for Bama unless we learn the first few weeks that we really think we will have 8 likely wins without them. I'm guessing we're not going to be that good, but all that would really take would be for UK and UT to look like shit.

Now that I'm thinking about it, did Moorhead state that he would announce suspensions prior to games? Might wouldn't pass muster with the NCAA, but it would be nice if we could wait and declare suspensions after a player records a DNP so that we could play it by ear in the early potential swing games.

Todd4State
08-26-2019, 07:25 PM
You don't save them for Bama unless we learn the first few weeks that we really think we will have 8 likely wins without them. I'm guessing we're not going to be that good, but all that would really take would be for UK and UT to look like shit.

Now that I'm thinking about it, did Moorhead state that he would announce suspensions prior to games? Might wouldn't pass muster with the NCAA, but it would be nice if we could wait and declare suspensions after a player records a DNP so that we could play it by ear in the early potential swing games.

I think he said that they would be in the press notes released before the game. That's how I took it.

yjnkdawg
08-26-2019, 10:21 PM
Please don't waste any playing time on Bama. This is going to be one of Saban's very best Bama teams and the SEC refs will NOT allow us to beat them in a close game anyway (which would be the only way we could win). If we waste one of Autry or Gay's 4 games on Bama we are stupid.

I said "possibly" on Gay for Bama. That would all depend on what we do in some other prior key games (win or lose). I said Autry possible for OM. I didn't say anything about Autry for the Bama game. I think that would definitely be a wasted game for Autry, but JoeMo will make those decisions. Whether they are stupid or not to you.

ArrowDawg
08-26-2019, 10:22 PM

It's the typical hope against hope thing for fans before the season starts and reality ends up slapping them upside the head. I remember what we did to that Florida DL in the 2000 game in Starkvegas, for instance. I'm sure they were talented, but they were young and weren't ready. That's just one example of many.

Maybe we'll end up being the exception to the rule, but at the moment I believe our DL will be exposed early and often and it's going to affect the way the rest of the defense(which I think is good) plays. Hopefully those early games will allow for enough experience and improvement before we hit the meat of the schedule.

Bothrops
08-26-2019, 11:51 PM
Need full force at Tennessee, need full force at A&M, and Auburn if they aren't good on offense. Hell we may need to be full force at Arkansas too, if Gunn is injured, holding out for the Eggbowl.