PDA

View Full Version : The Year that Changed the Mindset of many MSU fans....

Coach007
08-25-2019, 11:19 AM
WE over Me #HAILSTATE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ca_Yubxw-w

msbulldog
08-25-2019, 11:27 AM
Awesome, thanks Coach, HAIL STATE!! Rep given

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Great season, but a lot of selfishness set in on that team down the home stretch. I hope when we are in that position again, a culture is created that make it more about WE than ME

Coach007
08-25-2019, 11:56 AM
Had various individuals step up in every game it seemed like

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Had various individuals step up in every game it seemed like

Till many became selfish beginning with the Kentucky game. Finished like crap because people were checked out. Good team without much mental toughness

ScoobaDawg
08-25-2019, 01:03 PM
The goal is to make that year once every 5 years instead of once every 20 years.

That year elevated us so high.. and we are yearning to get back there.
Will this be the year we get 10 wins again? I don't think so.. but not far off.

Coach007
08-25-2019, 01:05 PM
The goal is to make that year once every 5 years instead of once every 20 years.

That's right!!!

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 01:05 PM

Feels like there is too much transition right now for that type of year to happen.

Those types of year are created by stability in the coaching staff, great players, & upper classmen that have learned how to win together.

We are increasing our overall talent level for sure, but we don't yet have the continuity achieve this

ScoobaDawg
08-25-2019, 01:21 PM
Feels like there is too much transition right now for that type of year to happen.

Those types of year are created by stability in the coaching staff, great players, & upper classmen that have learned how to win together.

We are increasing our overall talent level for sure, but we don't yet have the continuity achieve this

Yea..again. I think that year helped us all gain confidence when looking at the schedule and not just automatically checking off L's to Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M. Now the goal is to win 2 out of 3 of those. you do that. you likely have a 10 win season. if you only win 1 you have a 9 win season. Big difference in bowls and respect based on that one extra loss.

There's so much mystery behind key positions this year.. How good is TS really.. how good can he read defenses he will see in sec play. How good is Zuber and the rest of our wr's. If tommy can get them the ball. can they actually catch it and make a play..and provide us a deep threat like Joe badly needs in his system. and on the last not, JOE.. will he shine or flop.
I'm not super stressed on our defense. Maybe just because that's what we always are. Hard nosed and tough. As long as we have a top 25 defense, and the concerns listed above on offense.. I see us having a good year ... not great.. but not regressing.

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 01:28 PM
Yea..again. I think that year helped us all gain confidence when looking at the schedule and not just automatically checking off L's to Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M. Now the goal is to win 2 out of 3 of those. you do that. you likely have a 10 win season. if you only win 1 you have a 9 win season. Big difference in bowls and respect based on that one extra loss.

There's so much mystery behind key positions this year.. How good is TS really.. how good can he read defenses he will see in sec play. How good is Zuber and the rest of our wr's. If tommy can get them the ball. can they actually catch it and make a play..and provide us a deep threat like Joe badly needs in his system. and on the last not, JOE.. will he shine or flop.
I'm not super stressed on our defense. Maybe just because that's what we always are. Hard nosed and tough. As long as we have a top 25 defense, and the concerns listed above on offense.. I see us having a good year ... not great.. but not regressing.

Agree completely.

Lately, you're hearing a good bit about how "un-excited" people are about this season, but I think that should be replaced with "uncertainty".

I think most of our fan base is in wait & see mode right now because it's hard to know what to expect. I think we'll be good, but as to how good: it's anyone's guess.

Coach007
08-25-2019, 01:32 PM
I have not been this excited for 3 years!

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 01:32 PM

And this is why my biggest frustration with Dan Mullen recruiting was with the roster management. It's also why we've had to go JUCO heavy two of the last five years and a big reason why we haven't gotten past 9 wins since 2014. And yes, I know that 8-9 wins is good for us historically but the opportunity for us to be more is there.

We are close to being where we need to be as far as our roster goes though. Joe has definitely improved our roster balance and has for the most part gotten things shored up where we aren't starting a ton of freshmen or have obvious gaping holes at as many position groups. I figure by 2021 we will be pretty much where we need to be as far as having upperclassmen on the two deep and the only freshmen/sophomores that we should start are the special five star talents that we typically get 1-2 in every class like a Simmons who can come in and have an impact right away.

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 01:36 PM
Agree completely.

Lately, you're hearing a good bit about how "un-excited" people are about this season, but I think that should be replaced with "uncertainty".

I think most of our fan base is in wait & see mode right now because it's hard to know what to expect. I think we'll be good, but as to how good: it's anyone's guess.

Yeah. I think so many people were "certain" about last year that they are now in buyer beware mode. Unfortunately any question mark that we had on offense turned out to be the worst case scenario for us- compounded by Kentucky having a dream season that is atypical for them. And then you have losing the bowl leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth, losing some assistants in the offseason that cost us some key recruits, and now the tutor BS. We really could use a major upset over a big name to build some momentum.

R2Dawg
08-25-2019, 02:01 PM
Good stuff.

Two things I forgot till watching that.

Our WR were bad boys blocking for runners. They made our run game from good to great.

Gotta love me some Tavez Calhoun, his energy and passion. Dude brought it every game. Abram was it last year. Every team has got to have it. Who is it this year? Cole, Dantzler?

Coach007
08-25-2019, 02:20 PM
Good stuff.

Our WR were bad boys blocking for runners. They made our run game from good to great.

Gotta love me some Tavez Calhoun, his energy and passion. Dude brought it every game. Abram was it last year. Every team has got to have it. Who is it this year? Cole, Dantzler?

You need to watch footage of Landrews! #11 He's a beast!

MaroonFlounder
08-25-2019, 04:52 PM
Till many became selfish beginning with the Kentucky game. Finished like crap because people were checked out. Good team without much mental toughness

I'm gonna call bullshit on this. You talkin' bout players or coaches?

MarketingBully
08-25-2019, 05:15 PM
Good stuff.

That statement right there is why our WR recruiting sucked ass. You’re going to tell me I get to go to a program where I’ll be blocking 80% of the time and get it thrown to me 20%? Like it or not but receivers want the football. That mentality also screwed us with Jackson and Mingo last year where ironically they just went to a system where they will be blocking just as much as they would have under Mullen. RichRod’s spread is a mirror image of Dan’s. How they convinced those kids they will get the ball in RichRod’s system is beyond me. Their WR Coach is a snake oil salesman and that WR recruiting will start shifting from them to us starting 2020.

MaroonFlounder
08-25-2019, 05:53 PM
Their WR Coach is a snake oil salesman and that WR recruiting will start shifting from them to us starting 2020.

Peeler apparently is not worth a damn at coaching WRs, as evidenced by the cluelessness of the recent guys in the NFL.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-25-2019, 06:20 PM
Was a fun 3/4 of a season...still got the crap kicked out of us by Ole Miss with a Playoff Spot on the line while Dan was job hunting.

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 06:41 PM
That statement right there is why our WR recruiting sucked ass. You’re going to tell me I get to go to a program where I’ll be blocking 80% of the time and get it thrown to me 20%? Like it or not but receivers want the football. That mentality also screwed us with Jackson and Mingo last year where ironically they just went to a system where they will be blocking just as much as they would have under Mullen. RichRod’s spread is a mirror image of Dan’s. How they convinced those kids they will get the ball in RichRod’s system is beyond me. Their WR Coach is a snake oil salesman and that WR recruiting will start shifting from them to us starting 2020.

Rich Rod may even be more run heavy than Dan. Actually very likely that he is more run heavy than Dan. I'd guess we were probably 60/40 run/pass with Dan whereas Rich Rod is going to be more 75/25 run/pass.

BrunswickDawg
08-25-2019, 07:23 PM
I'm gonna call bullshit on this. You talkin' bout players or coaches?

I'm pretty sure he is referencing a particular RB.

Maroonthirteen
08-25-2019, 07:32 PM
Was a fun 3/4 of a season...still got the crap kicked out of us by Ole Miss with a Playoff Spot on the line while Dan was job hunting.

Yeah, most of y?all are way more optimistic than me. 14 was fun ride, but that was one of the most disappointing egg bowls ever and the bowl game sucked. Oh and Alabama put us in our place..... again.

But the run was fun.

R2Dawg
08-25-2019, 07:41 PM
You need to watch footage of Landrews! #11 He's a beast!

I have watched Landrews and think he is going to be a stud. He quietly made an impression last year.

R2Dawg
08-25-2019, 07:43 PM
That statement right there is why our WR recruiting sucked ass. You?re going to tell me I get to go to a program where I?ll be blocking 80% of the time and get it thrown to me 20%? Like it or not but receivers want the football. That mentality also screwed us with Jackson and Mingo last year where ironically they just went to a system where they will be blocking just as much as they would have under Mullen. RichRod?s spread is a mirror image of Dan?s. How they convinced those kids they will get the ball in RichRod?s system is beyond me. Their WR Coach is a snake oil salesman and that WR recruiting will start shifting from them to us starting 2020.

Only one problem with your hypothesis. Those WR were Ross, Brown, and Wilson and some others. Pretty dang good pass catchers too but they were not too good to block for a team mate. I'll take those all day over the prima donnas NWO group.

MagicDawg
08-25-2019, 07:53 PM
I was pretty sure this was going to be a thread about 1998. I respect all the great things Dan did for our program, but I always felt that Jackie was the guy that put championships into legitimate conversation for Mississippi State.

Coach007
08-25-2019, 08:02 PM
I was pretty sure this was going to be a thread about 1998. I respect all the great things Dan did for our program, but I always felt that Jackie was the guy that put championships into legitimate conversation for Mississippi State.

Yeah... I do remember those days.

MarketingBully
08-25-2019, 09:10 PM
Only one problem with your hypothesis. Those WR were Ross, Brown, and Wilson and some others. Pretty dang good pass catchers too but they were not too good to block for a team mate. I'll take those all day over the prima donnas NWO group.

We sure could have used those receivers against Bama and Ole Miss that year. The problem with Dan’s offense was Dan. When push comes to shove, he’s going to run the QB up the middle. The only way we would have beaten Bama or OM that year would have been opening up the play book and loosening up those defenses. When we came back against Alabama after going down 19-3 it was because Dak passed the ball. I still don’t think we fully utilized Dak and that was on Dan not Dak.

Maroonthirteen
08-26-2019, 08:31 AM
Dan owes a Dak a cut of his Florida salary. If not for Dak, Dan is still at State or a G5.

Scared_Hitless
08-26-2019, 09:02 AM
Rich Rod may even be more run heavy than Dan. Actually very likely that he is more run heavy than Dan. I'd guess we were probably 60/40 run/pass with Dan whereas Rich Rod is going to be more 75/25 run/pass.

Honestly though playing run heavy is not the worst strategy, it shortens the game and allows you to be competitive at times. We had plenty of losses with Dan at the helm where we were never really in the game but the final score was very close. Now I do not think OM currently has the personnel to run that scheme. It is very difficult to beat teams with a significant talent advantage running the ball 65% of the time. You need explosive plays honestly.

BB30
08-26-2019, 10:50 AM
We sure could have used those receivers against Bama and Ole Miss that year. The problem with Dan’s offense was Dan. When push comes to shove, he’s going to run the QB up the middle. The only way we would have beaten Bama or OM that year would have been opening up the play book and loosening up those defenses. When we came back against Alabama after going down 19-3 it was because Dak passed the ball. I still don’t think we fully utilized Dak and that was on Dan not Dak.

We beat bama in 14 if we just execute the game plan. Wouldn't have had to change anything we did in that game except the execution. We didn't have to open it up against them to win that year.

Lord McBuckethead
08-26-2019, 11:16 AM
I agree. We got sloppy to start the game and turned the ball over 3 times inside their 20 if i remember correctly. We lost by 5 pts right?

R2Dawg
08-26-2019, 11:37 AM
We sure could have used those receivers against Bama and Ole Miss that year. The problem with Dan?s offense was Dan. When push comes to shove, he?s going to run the QB up the middle. The only way we would have beaten Bama or OM that year would have been opening up the play book and loosening up those defenses. When we came back against Alabama after going down 19-3 it was because Dak passed the ball. I still don?t think we fully utilized Dak and that was on Dan not Dak.

Agree. Dan got scared and played not to lose like he did often. We he loosened up we made the comeback.

Agree with others that Dan owes Dak; Dak made Dan be the wanted coach he was/is. MSU also made Dan because everyone thinks Dan is a better coach than he is because he did it at MSU. Now Dan was smart enough to know you can win at MSU and not just read the media BS.

sandwolf
08-27-2019, 11:32 PM
Agree with others that Dan owes Dak; Dak made Dan be the wanted coach he was/is.

Huh? Dan was the only SEC coach that was willing to take Dak as a QB, and you think Dan owes Dak? Dan made Dak way, way more than Dak made Dan.

Todd4State
08-27-2019, 11:49 PM
Yeah, most of y?all are way more optimistic than me. 14 was fun ride, but that was one of the most disappointing egg bowls ever and the bowl game sucked. Oh and Alabama put us in our place..... again.

But the run was fun.

The end of 2014 is why 1999 is a better season to me than 2014 and 1998 to be honest. The only thing that would have made 1999 better would have been beating Alabama and Arkansas. Obviously. We were pretty close to doing that. 1998 was a great year but the bowl loss ended that year on a down note unfortunately.

Honestly though playing run heavy is not the worst strategy, it shortens the game and allows you to be competitive at times. We had plenty of losses with Dan at the helm where we were never really in the game but the final score was very close. Now I do not think OM currently has the personnel to run that scheme. It is very difficult to beat teams with a significant talent advantage running the ball 65% of the time. You need explosive plays honestly.

It's not depending on your personnel. I think going run heavy will actually help the Ole Miss defense some statistically even if they are as bad as last year. At the same time, I think their offense will look worse. Throwing the ball up for grabs constantly allowed Ole Miss to put up some big numbers statistically despite the fact they were a 5-7 team.

MarketingBully
08-28-2019, 06:30 AM
We beat bama in 14 if we just execute the game plan. Wouldn't have had to change anything we did in that game except the execution. We didn't have to open it up against them to win that year.

No. We didn’t start moving the football until we were down 19-3. They were sold out early to stop the run and we chose to run Dak up the middle. The only time Dan’s offense and play calling worked against Bama was in 2017 when Bama’s middle of their defense was decimated with injuries. Only way to beat Bama at full strength is a dual threat QB who has pin point accuracy to penetrate Saban’s zone. The RPO offense can beat Saban’s defense but you have to have the threat of the run and the pass so their defense is caught off balance.

KentuckyDawg13
08-28-2019, 08:44 AM
Dak's run against LSU still gives me chills...dude was unstoppable in that game. Seeing WRs making awesome plays too...thanks for the vid.

Tbonewannabe
08-28-2019, 09:01 AM
A couple of things stick out to me about 2014:

1. If you have a NFL level QB then you have a big advantage the other team has to overcome if they don't have that level talent.
2. We had a lot of NFL talent on that defense and it still wasn't a top 25 defense. 1A and 1B should be dead forever and there is a reason Saban doesn't do it.
3. We haven't had a WR like Bear that would fight for the ball since he left. I loved watching him play.
4. I forgot that we almost lost to UK and Ark. A handful of plays in those two games determine how we feel about 2014. A fumble recovery against UK and an Int against Ark, if we don't make those 2 plays then 8 wins and a Music City bowl probably. It is kind of the opposite of last year.