PDA

View Full Version : How long does Mullin last at UF?

DownwardDawg
08-24-2019, 10:09 PM
Serious question. I don?t think he makes a full 5 years after what I saw tonight. I said 5 years tops when they hired him. Now I?m thinking he gets fired after next season or he gets a 4th year max.

He almost lost to a much inferior team talent wise with a first ever head coach. And it?s a rival game.

Jack Lambert
08-24-2019, 10:10 PM
Two more season at most. To Florida recruiting is just as important and Mullen will not be the recruiter they want. I think the better question is how long the cheerleader stays there. All I know is Mr. Steve didn't look happy.

DownwardDawg
08-24-2019, 10:11 PM
Two more season at most. To Florida recruiting is just as important and Mullen will not be the recruiter they want. I think the better question is how long the cheerleader stays there.

Good point/question.

Rick Danko
08-24-2019, 10:11 PM
He just won a neutral site rivalry game with a QB that is god awful and your take is this? Come on man, he is a good coach. Accept that he moved on from us and it will make it easier to watch him win as he goes forward.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
08-24-2019, 10:15 PM
Serious question. I don?t think he makes a full 5 years after what I saw tonight. I said 5 years tops when they hired him. Now I?m thinking he gets fired after next season or he gets a 4th year max.

He almost lost to a much inferior team talent wise with a first ever head coach. And it?s a rival game.

This time last year, I would agree with you. Four years tops. I’m now convinced Dan is a survivor and may be there for the long haul. He found a way to win tonight and plays in the East. Ten win seasons are much easier now.

Liverpooldawg
08-24-2019, 10:19 PM
Mullen will do very well at Florida. There are so many idiots here that don't want to hear it, but he is a damn good coach. I'm glad we won't see them for a while in the regular season.

StoneDawg
08-24-2019, 10:32 PM
Miami found a way to lose.

AlSwearengen
08-24-2019, 11:06 PM
No one stays at Florida for very long. His demise will be a combination of recruiting and his almost guaranteed one head scratching loss per year. He will win a lot because he is a good coach but his recruiting will give Florida fans enough of an excuse to not forgive the losses.

Mullen’s makeup lends to him being an nfl coordinator, assuming he could adapt to the pro game with a different system.

msstatelp1
08-24-2019, 11:32 PM
I think he's gone by the end of next season or the season after that. Florida did not hire Mullen to win 10 or 11games a year. They hired him to win championships. He is not beating Smart and Saban both to win the SEC anytime soon.

TUSK
08-24-2019, 11:40 PM
It’ll depend how good his future QBs are...

If he can win 9 with Fitz, at MSU, in the SECW, I think he’d have a good shot at 10-11 in the SECE....

However, he will get crucified if he has a USA type loss.

Barring a total collapse (on or off the field), I’ll guess his OU at 5.... which is probably what anyone’s would be.... anywhere...

DancingRabbit
08-24-2019, 11:54 PM
I don't think Strick will fire Dan prematurely. Foley is gone.

So I'm thinking 4-5 years.

Dan's a good coach, but he better get recruiting or hire recruiters. Won't be too hard to be 2nd in the east and win it once in a while.

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 12:31 AM
He'll be there for about five years. He'll get bored and go to the NFL.

ckDOG
08-25-2019, 01:03 AM
He will get the boot after 4 seasons of 2nd place or worse in the east. Maybe 3.

MarketingBully
08-25-2019, 01:48 AM

If he can win 9 with Fitz, at MSU, in the SECW, I think he’d have a good shot at 10-11 in the SECE....

Barring a total collapse (on or off the field), I’ll guess his OU at 5.... which is probably what anyone’s would be.... anywhere...

I agree Tusk. Five seems reasonable. If Mullen had a pulse as a recruiter, he’d clean up with the train wrecks of coaching hires at FSU and Miami. If he hasn’t at least won the east in that time they will grow tired of him. At some point he’s going to have to win some type of championship.

basedog
08-25-2019, 07:10 AM
As long as he can keep Grantham, dude can coach D. So much easier to recruit in Florida, they have some good H.S. teams.

I actually think Mullen loves being at Florida.

ZedFedder
08-25-2019, 07:59 AM
I think he will be successful.

Cooterpoot
08-25-2019, 08:05 AM
He won’t get fired. He’ll leave for another job.

R2Dawg
08-25-2019, 08:12 AM
He will be like Malzan at Auburn. By year 4-5, there will be a huge group that wants him gone but Strick and some will fight to keep him there. He'll win 11 and win east one year and they will keep him on.

DM is a gimmick coach. They did the no pads in warmups that he got at MSU as well as the linemen on the sidelines on all fours like a dawg, again copied from MSU. Hint UF, your mascot isn't a dawg. Next thing you know they will be doing the dawg pound rock.

BrunswickDawg
08-25-2019, 08:16 AM
As long as he can keep Grantham, dude can coach D. So much easier to recruit in Florida, they have some good H.S. teams.

It is easier to recruit in Florida - but the trade off is a hard to control program. As we saw tonight Dan won't have a disciplined team at UF - and that will be his undoing. It has been the root of the problem for everyone not named Spurrier.

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 08:21 AM

The truth is, at least thus far, he had better QB play at MSU than he's had at Florida.

I'm not sure that in Dan's 9 years at MSU we ever started as QB as limited as Franks. Maybe Tyson Lee

Everyone keeps saying Emery Jones in the guy, but, if so, why can't he beat out Franks when Franks is well below average?

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 08:22 AM
I think he will be successful.

Depends on how you define success. Yes, he'll win 8-9 game a year but the team we saw last night is losing ground to Georgia, not gaining ground

bobcat91
08-25-2019, 09:31 AM
5 years. He isnt beating Georgia and the natives will run him out of town. He isnt beating LSU this year either

I seen it dawg
08-25-2019, 12:45 PM

So much easier to recruit but a class he just signed has been decimated by guys leaving. His lack of recruiting is gonna get him run out.

QuadrupleOption
08-25-2019, 12:50 PM
5 years. He isnt beating Georgia and the natives will run him out of town. He isnt beating LSU this year either

^^^ This. He isn't going to beat the top teams on their schedule year in, year out. Sound familiar? If FSU gets it going again the road will be even tougher to get to 10 wins in the regular season.

A lot of their fans didn't want him to begin with, a lot of them are mad about the recruiting, and watching sloppy-ass football on top of it? I honestly think UF will be good this year - most of the crap that happened last night was self-inflicted and can be cleaned up.

But in the long run, y'all need to remember that the UF fan base ran off Spurrier (1 NC, multiple SEC titles), Meyer (2 NCs, multiple SEC titles), and McIlwain (2 SEC East titles in the previous 3 years).

As far as career prospects go, it was STUPID of Mullen to take that job. I don't care what the perception of UF vs. MSU is. As long as he won 7-9 games a year here we'd have kept him and paid him. Now? They'll run him off in another 3-4 years (not that he won't have a shit ton of money but still) and he'll have to either take a coordinator job or a HC job at a second/third tier school.

Dawgology
08-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Well he got a raise and the grass is always greener. He will last a couple more years and then get run off due to recruiting and inability to beat Georgia

RocketDawg
08-25-2019, 03:01 PM
^^^ This. He isn't going to beat the top teams on their schedule year in, year out. Sound familiar? If FSU gets it going again the road will be even tougher to get to 10 wins in the regular season.

A lot of their fans didn't want him to begin with, a lot of them are mad about the recruiting, and watching sloppy-ass football on top of it? I honestly think UF will be good this year - most of the crap that happened last night was self-inflicted and can be cleaned up.

But in the long run, y'all need to remember that the UF fan base ran off Spurrier (1 NC, multiple SEC titles), Meyer (2 NCs, multiple SEC titles), and McIlwain (2 SEC East titles in the previous 3 years).

As far as career prospects go, it was STUPID of Mullen to take that job. I don't care what the perception of UF vs. MSU is. As long as he won 7-9 games a year here we'd have kept him and paid him. Now? They'll run him off in another 3-4 years (not that he won't have a shit ton of money but still) and he'll have to either take a coordinator job or a HC job at a second/third tier school.

Well, he knew what it was like at UF so he obviously considered Florida a much better job than MSU, even if riskier career-wise. If he's fired in 4 years, he'll be in his mid-40s and have at least $50M in the bank, so he won't be hurting financially (if it's all about money, and it's not for him). After Florida, he could always get a 3rd tier job like Ole Miss ** and still make $5M/yr if he wanted.

RocketDawg
08-25-2019, 03:03 PM
Well he got a raise and the grass is always greener. He will last a couple more years and then get run off due to recruiting and inability to beat Georgia

Could we be giving Kirby Smart too much credit? I'm not sure he's at the Saban level yet. Dan might beat him.

dantheman4248
08-25-2019, 03:07 PM
Could we be giving Kirby Smart too much credit? I'm not sure he's at the Saban level yet. Dan might beat him.

Kirby is a decent coach and has OM style recruiting going on, except with a bigger budget. He's not losing to 3* Dan.

MarketingBully
08-25-2019, 03:37 PM
So much easier to recruit but a class he just signed has been decimated by guys leaving. His lack of recruiting is gonna get him run out.

You are correct sir. And what’s sad is added to that fact is that Miami and FSU just made generationally bad hires at both schools. He should be cleaning up on the recruiting trail. If I was him and knowing my recruiting deficiencies, I’d load up my staff with recruiters and just coach them up. He basically has the same staff he had here minus his best recruiter in Hughes. He’s not going to beat Smart with top 15 classes and he’s not winning championships with top 15 classes either. Hell, Mac was a better recruiter then him and imo Mac wasn’t that likeable.

MarketingBully
08-25-2019, 03:41 PM
I don't think Strick will fire Dan prematurely. Foley is gone.

So I'm thinking 4-5 years.

Dan's a good coach, but he better get recruiting or hire recruiters. Won't be too hard to be 2nd in the east and win it once in a while.

Make no mistake Foley still is in charge of that program. He hired a yes man so whatever Foley wants done in that program Strick will do. If Dan the man doesn?t start beating Georgia, he won?t last there. Corrected before anyone trolled me. :)

basedog
08-25-2019, 03:56 PM
Make no mistake Foley still is in charge of that program. He hired a yes man so whatever Foley wants done in that program Strick will do. If Dan the man doesn?t start beating Florida, he won?t last there.

I'm thinking The ole ball coach could cause problems for Dan. His look after the interception was classic.

BeastMan
08-25-2019, 04:24 PM
First game hot takes are never wise. Maybe Manny Diaz knew better than most how to attack Mullen.... Florida is going to be good on defense and when Mullen gets QB figured out they?ll be fine. Franks isn?t terrible but they aren?t winning big with him. I think the freshman they have is the future.

yjnkdawg
08-25-2019, 08:04 PM
I'm thinking The ole ball coach could cause problems for Dan. His look after the interception was classic.

I think he can too, and Strick hired DM, but he really didn't hire him. If that makes any sense.

yjnkdawg
08-25-2019, 08:11 PM

Mullen looked at UF as being a big time football school and he did not look at MSU in the same light. He was ready to get out of here, regardless. Recruiting could definitely be his downfall at UF, but we shall see.

TrapGame
08-25-2019, 08:13 PM
Dan can go 10-2 five years straight but if he ain't beating UGA, winning the East and sniffing a NC playoff berth he's gone.

10-2 five years straight gets you a statue at State but it gets you fired at Florida.

yjnkdawg
08-25-2019, 08:20 PM
Make no mistake Foley still is in charge of that program. He hired a yes man so whatever Foley wants done in that program Strick will do. If Dan the man doesn?t start beating Georgia, he won?t last there. Corrected before anyone trolled me. :)

Foley and Spurrier I believe.

Pollodawg
08-25-2019, 08:44 PM
The truth is, at least thus far, he had better QB play at MSU than he's had at Florida.

I'm not sure that in Dan's 9 years at MSU we ever started as QB as limited as Franks. Maybe Tyson Lee

Everyone keeps saying Emery Jones in the guy, but, if so, why can't he beat out Franks when Franks is well below average?

Thought the same thing last night. He?s coached three Qbs here better than Franks. Dak, Russell, and probably Fitz. Franks is so bad, Mullen is struggling to make him serviceable. Let that sink in.

RocketDawg
08-25-2019, 08:45 PM
Foley and Spurrier I believe.

Did the camera ever show Foley last night? I don't think I'd know who he was if they showed him, but everybody knows Spurrier. I never saw Stricklin either.

Pollodawg
08-25-2019, 08:49 PM
Grantham won that game for Dan yesterday. I like Dan, but his offense didn’t win that one. Grantham still can’t coach a secondary. He won that one on DLine play.

DancingRabbit
08-25-2019, 08:52 PM
Did the camera ever show Foley last night? I don't think I'd know who he was if they showed him, but everybody knows Spurrier. I never saw Stricklin either.

Don't know about Foley. Urban made it.

RocketDawg
08-25-2019, 08:56 PM
Don't know about Foley. Urban made it.

Hmm. Urban wore shorts. Maybe that's who Dan got the idea from.

MarketingBully
08-25-2019, 09:20 PM
Hmm. Urban wore shorts. Maybe that's who Dan got the idea from.

Urban will be in sunny California next year with the USC job. He will win a Natty there too because the PAC 12 sucks.

yjnkdawg
08-25-2019, 09:29 PM

Just Spurrier was the only one I saw, but he is the most well known as you said.

Todd4State
08-25-2019, 10:46 PM
Mullen looked at UF as being a big time football school and he did not look at MSU in the same light. He was ready to get out of here, regardless. Recruiting could definitely be his downfall at UF, but we shall see.

As I've said before ultimately there is going to be a showdown between Dan and the Florida brass and he's going to either have to get rid of the Country Club or he is going to have to leave.

At MSU we weren't going to make him get rid of anyone. Except for Scott Sallach. He won't have that luxury at Florida. That's why I think ultimately he will try for the NFL because then he can bring his friends and they won't have to worry about recruiting ever again. And it feeds his ego since the NFL > Florida football.

Bothrops
08-26-2019, 12:34 AM
Dan needs a qb.

MarketingBully
08-26-2019, 06:18 AM
Dan needs a qb.

Dan needs a QB he trusts. But then again he’s still going to call a scared game if it’s a big one. Had Mitchell caught that pass to open up the second half last year for us to go up 13-3 I honestly think we would have seen the scared play calling Dan and we would have won it.

MedDawg
08-26-2019, 07:49 AM
He will get the boot after 4 seasons of 2nd place or worse in the east. Maybe 3.

This. Mullen will have to beat Georgia for the East, unless UGA has to play a tougher SEC schedule. Florida plays LSU every year and Georgia plays Auburn, which should favor Georgia over the next few years.

In 2019, UGA plays TAMU and Florida plays Auburn, so about the same.
In 2020, UGA plays at Bama and Florida plays at OM, so that will favor Florida by a LOT. This will be Mullen's best chance to win the East.
In 2021, Florida plays Bama and Georgia plays Arkansas, clearly favoring Georgia.

Florida won't win the East in 2021, so if Florida doesn't win the East in 2019 or 2020, then Mullen will be out for sure in 2021.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Mullen will do very well at Florida. There are so many idiots here that don't want to hear it, but he is a damn good coach. I'm glad we won't see them for a while in the regular season.

So a good coach goes to the air on first down with a lead only 4 minutes left in the game and ball gets picked? Tell me, what does a bad coach do?

dantheman4248
08-26-2019, 08:59 AM
So a good coach goes to the air on first down with a lead only 4 minutes left in the game and ball gets picked? Tell me, what does a bad coach do?

Run the ball with the QB on 3rd & Goal from the 9

BB30
08-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him win the east in the next three years.

He managed to compete for the West here in 14 and most all of us said that if he could have just recruited a little bit better we would have been in contention more often.

Last I checked he finished with a top 10 class last year and will probably do the same this year.

Had he averaged a top 10 class here we would have had multible 10 win seasons during his time.

Yall are reading too much into a game against an instate rival during the first week of a season that he still won. Yes, it was sloppy but they will still manage to win 9 regular season games with an outside shot at 10 wins as I don't see them losing to KY again this year.