PDA

View Full Version : tonights game should show everyone that we just dont know

gravedigger
08-24-2019, 09:55 PM
much. No matter what the bookies say. No matter what some overconfident schmuck constantly posts.

It's a game.

Bdawg
08-24-2019, 09:58 PM
Turnover, penalties, and injuries are just unpredictable

msstate7
08-24-2019, 09:58 PM
Vegas wasn't far off...
Florida -7, won by 4
O/u was 46, 44 points scored

WSOPdawg
08-24-2019, 10:03 PM
And 4 UF turnovers kept the Gators from running up the points. They could've easily covered the 7 if only they would've valued the ball more.

DownwardDawg
08-24-2019, 10:05 PM
Miami mistakes cost them the game. Should have easily beaten Florida. Diaz apparently is a better head coach than Mullins. He almost won with way less talent.

msstate7
08-24-2019, 10:08 PM
Miami mistakes cost them the game. Should have easily beaten Florida. Diaz apparently is a better head coach than Mullins. He almost won with way less talent.

Florida had 4 TOs to 1 Miami

Todd4State
08-24-2019, 10:17 PM

He almost won with a horrid offensive line. I think they gave up 10 sacks and they couldn't run the ball at all the second half outside of a couple of plays.

Maroonthirteen
08-24-2019, 10:44 PM
And 4 UF turnovers kept the Gators from running up the points. They could've easily covered the 7 if only they would've valued the ball more.

That’s because florida is a soft team. They always have been for years.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-24-2019, 10:48 PM
Vegas wasn't far off...
Florida -7, won by 4
O/u was 46, 44 points scored

Yeah I don't know what people are talking about. Vegas was very close, UF with -3 turnovers cost them at least 7 net points, UF and Miami had the same yardage (306 to 301, respectively), UF had 2.3 more yards per play, and 100 penalty yards of their own (Miami had 125).

There's simply no way you can spin that into "Florida got lucky" or "Miami should have won" or "Miami's penalties are the only reason UF won".

We can still say that both teams are deeply flawed, but UF playe better tonight

DancingRabbit
08-24-2019, 11:06 PM
It was a lot of ugly but some good entertainment. Early season ugly. Miami doesn't have an O-line.

Both teams have QB issues. Franks seems like a mental midget, that really doesn't like to run the rock. He might close his eyes when he slings it. Dan's gonna be grayer and/or balder by the end of the year.

Homedawg
08-24-2019, 11:10 PM

What? Oh yeah I missed it when fla turned in over I. Miami red zone... yes Miami alarmist won but fla kept them in it, not the other way around.

Homedawg
08-24-2019, 11:13 PM
He almost won with a horrid offensive line. I think they gave up 10 sacks and they couldn't run the ball at all the second half outside of a couple of plays.

I love manny. I think he will do well, but they were handed the ball 4 times. Fla is better and if they played 50 times Miami might win 2. And tonight was one of the 2 and they lost

Liverpooldawg
08-24-2019, 11:14 PM
Actually I think the bookies were pretty much dead on.

Dawgcap
08-24-2019, 11:14 PM
Florida had 10 sacks. 2 terrible plays by defensive backs gave Miami a chance after a piss poor pass by Franks on the interception. Y’all can rail on Florida all you want but when we win against a quality team like Miami is I bet you change your tune. It was the first game, a week earlier than everyone else. Whatever you want to say that was a good game with great talent. You can’t judge it like it was 4 weeks in.

Homedawg
08-24-2019, 11:15 PM

Obviously he didn't watch the game

Dawgcap
08-24-2019, 11:18 PM
Again my thoughts if we and when we beat a team as talented as Miami is the attitudes will change. It was Week 0 football. These guys are playing a week earlier than anybody else. It’s always ugly early in the year

Jarius
08-24-2019, 11:34 PM
much. No matter what the bookies say. No matter what some overconfident schmuck constantly posts.

It's a game.

Did you not check the spread before the game? It was almost dead on.

DancingRabbit
08-24-2019, 11:38 PM
I like Shoop secondaries better than Grantham secondaries. Sue me.

basedog
08-25-2019, 07:16 AM
I like Shoop secondaries better than Grantham secondaries. Sue me.

Maybe so but Grantham is a good DC, I have respect for the man taking out an ad to the paper thanking the fans and Msu for his time in Starkville, classy. Oh and his son coming to Msu baseball. I wish him the best!
No many coaches have or will do things like that now days.

gravedigger
08-25-2019, 07:46 AM
Did you not check the spread before the game? It was almost dead on.

The spread was close. But most thought florida would win by 10 or more. THe over under was up in the 50s and dropped to the mid 40s.

My point is that the majority of regular fans were pretty confident Florida would run away with it. Even with Miami's worse team, they couldnt. That is the thing about college football. What OUGHT to happen rarely does. Talent differentials just dont make up for conditions and variables.

When trying to asses what will happen with MSU this year, we should keep this in mind. Predictability about how a team will play is silly if recruiting rankings and polls are the way one comes to that decision. Or personal opinions about Manny Diaz and Dan Mullen. Emotional kids play the game in front of millions. Unless bama is playing a division 2 school, the outcome turns out kinda wonky.

But fans get all bent out of shape when things dont turn out the way they posted.

msstate7
08-25-2019, 07:51 AM
The spread was close. But most thought florida would win by 10 or more. THe over under was up in the 50s and dropped to the mid 40s.

My point is that the majority of regular fans were pretty confident Florida would run away with it. Even with Miami's worse team, they couldnt. That is the thing about college football. What OUGHT to happen rarely does. Talent differentials just dont make up for conditions and variables.

When trying to asses what will happen with MSU this year, we should keep this in mind. Predictability about how a team will play is silly if recruiting rankings and polls are the way one comes to that decision. Or personal opinions about Manny Diaz and Dan Mullen. Emotional kids play the game in front of millions. Unless bama is playing a division 2 school, the outcome turns out kinda wonky.

But fans get all bent out of shape when things dont turn out the way they posted.

I never saw the o/u in the 50s; but if you wanna go by the original opening line on the game, it was Florida -4.5 on May 29th

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/opening-line-released-for-florida-vs-miami/

MetEdDawg
08-25-2019, 07:58 AM
People thought I was nuts last week when I said take Miami +7. Diaz knows Mullen and defensively it's easier to scheme that than the other way around, especially early.

Diaz was able to do some of things necessary to win that game. Team just didn't pull it out. But they covered that spread and easily could have won. Big games like that do not favor Mullen at all. Hope some of you loaded up on Miami and got rich.

NCDawg
08-25-2019, 08:16 AM
The missed FG hurt Miami. If he had made it, Miami would have been in position towards the end of the game to kick another FG and win it.

R2Dawg
08-25-2019, 08:19 AM

Miami also has zero OL and had many calls/no calls that were as bad or worse than TO; at least 14pts worth.

gravedigger
08-25-2019, 08:33 AM
I never saw the o/u in the 50s; but if you wanna go by the original opening line on the game, it was Florida -4.5 on May 29th

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/opening-line-released-for-florida-vs-miami/

My point wasnt about bookies being wrong which you seem to be defending.

My point is that people's gut feelings about games are usually based on unstable factors. This coach being better than that one. This recruiting being better than that one. In the end, the hot lights and the stage throw in some factors that expose young players and mitigate alot of these factors.

Fans come on and are SUPREMELY confident they understand how the outcome is going to play out. And sometimes, it does wind up that way. However the path to that final score was anything but predictable. Therefore, the prediction was nothing more than bravado.

Someone on this board lost 1500 REAL dollars on this game as he admitted early on.

I guessed on some really flimsy evidence and got it right.

Neither prediction was based on anything that determined the outcome.

Confidence in what we think will happen in sports is exquisitely dressed up bullshit. Easily recognizable to those who know they dont know. But not so recognizable to those who cannot fathom that they are full of the same.

AROB44
08-25-2019, 12:09 PM
Maybe so but Grantham is a good DC, I have respect for the man taking out an ad to the paper thanking the fans and Msu for his time in Starkville, classy. Oh and his son coming to Msu baseball. I wish him the best!

Showed Grantham's character and Mullen's lack thereof.

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 12:24 PM
Showed Grantham's character and Mullen's lack thereof.

I believe Grantham really enjoyed his time in Starkville. He really fit MSU as well as any DC we've had since Joe Lee.

If we play well this year & Joe's job appears really safe & Shoop happened to leave, I think Joe has to make that call to Grantham to see if he wants to come back.

TrapGame
08-25-2019, 12:38 PM
I believe Grantham really enjoyed his time in Starkville. He really fit MSU as well as any DC we've had since Joe Lee.

If we play well this year & Joe's job appears really safe & Shoop happened to leave, I think Joe has to make that call to Grantham to see if he wants to come back.

If Dan has a rough season and his chair gets warmed up (and he throws Grantham's defense under the bus for his offensive ineptness) that could be a possibility. And assuming Shoop does decide to try the head coaching waters again.

ShotgunDawg
08-25-2019, 12:59 PM
If Dan has a rough season and his chair gets warmed up (and he throws Grantham's defense under the bus for his offensive ineptness) that could be a possibility. And assuming Shoop does decide to try the head coaching waters again.

A lot of IFs here for sure. Just saying that it wouldn't shock me if it happened someday

RocketDawg
08-25-2019, 03:28 PM
People thought I was nuts last week when I said take Miami +7. Diaz knows Mullen and defensively it's easier to scheme that than the other way around, especially early.

Diaz was able to do some of things necessary to win that game. Team just didn't pull it out. But they covered that spread and easily could have won. Big games like that do not favor Mullen at all. Hope some of you loaded up on Miami and got rich.

If Miami had made that chip shot field goal, the end of the game could have easily been much different. They were down 4 as it was so a FG would do them no good; but if only down 1, who knows what they'd have done on that last drive, especially with all the Florida pass interference penalties.

RocketDawg
08-25-2019, 03:31 PM

Didn't Mullen eventually run a similar newspaper ad? Perhaps it wasn't exactly spontaneous and serious ... who knows.

Jarius
08-25-2019, 03:41 PM

The over/under dropped because a lot of people thought it was too high, and they were right. Your overall point is
Correct but this is a horrible game to use as an example considering it was nearly dead on to what was Predicted. Not sure if you are just using MSU twitter to determine the general public’s feel for the game or what, but if the public thought Florida was going to win by that much more the spread would not have stopped at 7.

gravedigger
08-25-2019, 05:02 PM
The over/under dropped because a lot of people thought it was too high, and they were right. Your overall point is
Correct but this is a horrible game to use as an example considering it was nearly dead on to what was Predicted. Not sure if you are just using MSU twitter to determine the general public’s feel for the game or what, but if the public thought Florida was going to win by that much more the spread would not have stopped at 7.

I wasn?t. Look at the sentiments of posters. They generally thought that in spite of wanting Mullen to lose, they thought Florida would win HANDILY. Didn?t happen. Didn?t come close to happening as Florida had to come from behind and didn?t pull away.

Their gut was wrong. It wasn?t wrong because of the final score. It was wrong due to some random unpredictable things that happened. And thus, so will be nearly every game of any worth to watch.

Those who speak with confidence about outcomes are guessing no matter how much false confidence they exude.

Coach34
08-25-2019, 07:55 PM
I wasn?t. Look at the sentiments of posters. They generally thought that in spite of wanting Mullen to lose, they thought Florida would win HANDILY. Didn?t happen. Didn?t come close to happening as Florida had to come from behind and didn?t pull away.

Their gut was wrong. It wasn?t wrong because of the final score. It was wrong due to some random unpredictable things that happened. And thus, so will be nearly every game of any worth to watch.

Those who speak with confidence about outcomes are guessing no matter how much false confidence they exude.

is there a thread somewhere we can see all this overwhelming Florida dominance of Miami?

yjnkdawg
08-25-2019, 08:29 PM
Didn't Mullen eventually run a similar newspaper ad? Perhaps it wasn't exactly spontaneous and serious ... who knows.

I remember Grantham doing it , but I can't remember DM doing anything like that. Maybe I just missed it.

msstate7
08-25-2019, 08:34 PM
I remember Grantham doing it , but I can't remember DM doing anything like that. Maybe I just missed it.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2017/12/03/dan-mullen-and-megan-mullen-thank-mississippi-state-and-fans-full-page-ad/917312001/

RocketDawg
08-25-2019, 08:42 PM
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2017/12/03/dan-mullen-and-megan-mullen-thank-mississippi-state-and-fans-full-page-ad/917312001/

Article said he wanted to wait til the new coach was chosen and announced before he thanked the fans, university, etc.