PDA

View Full Version : Compliance Question

1bigdawg
08-24-2019, 12:05 PM
Here is what I don't get. Our athletic department has nothing to do with the tutoring of athletes because it is a conflict and therefore handled by the academic side of the university. On the other hand, athletics can get slammed (to some degree legimately) for the lack of proper oversight.

I believe the responsibility and authority for tutoring need to be moved to the athletic department since they are going to be held responsible.

gravedigger
08-24-2019, 12:14 PM
Here is what I don't get. Our athletic department has nothing to do with the tutoring of athletes because it is a conflict and therefore handled by the academic side of the university. On the other hand, athletics can get slammed (to some degree legimately) for the lack of proper oversight.

I believe the responsibility and authority for tutoring need to be moved to the athletic department since they are going to be held responsible.

Compliance departments educate on the rules and regulations and they train key leaders and participants on how to recognize problems. They aren?t police officers. Managers coaches and teachers monitor. Ultimately if someone wants to cheat or violate they will. It is up to the person monitoring to report it.

Penalties can?t be avoided. Another agency having to come in and assess penalties can be.