PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the game

Bo Darville
10-25-2013, 09:15 AM
1. I don't get Russell running around the end on 3rd and short. We've got Nick Griffin, Shumpert, Josh Robinson, Dak Prescott. There are better ways to try and get 1 or 2 yards to keep a drive alive. I do not understand that.

2. I still wish we would wear down a defense some. I would like to see us run more with someone that is no fun to tackle. Prescott is really the only one we use that fits that bill. We used Jameon Lewis 4 times in the run game against Bowling Green and only used Josh Robinson twice. I want to see more carries from Robinson/Griffin/Shumpert. Especially Robinson.

3. I love Jamaal Clayborn already. He has a guard's body. Big thick legs, big butt, wide body. Looks like he has a nasty streak. He really excites me. He will push for a starting spot next year.

4. Whitley's 2 personals were deserved and absolutely inexcusable. Nobody can defend what he did. Terrible. Just terrible. He embarrassed himself, his team, and his university. His actions on the sideline after the ejection made it worse.

5. Market doesn't have great ability, but he has my respect. He's not an athlete, he is a football player. A winner, a hustler, a player. Huge tackle on that last drive. He always finds a way to get it done. He had to get that guy to the ground and he did. If he doesn't make that tackle, he might go for a touchdown. Make the play Market. He did.

6. Redmond looks like a player.

7. We are far better with Dak than with Russell.

8. I am appreciative of what Dan has done but I believe it is time to hand the baton to Hud. The electricity and excitement is gone. Auburn made a tough decision to replace a coach who won a national championship and was recruiting well because they could see the hand-writing on the wall. I think replacing Dan would be tough, but I honestly believe that December would be the right time.

FISHDAWG
10-25-2013, 09:17 AM
I can refute none of this

Daddy Rabbit Dawg
10-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Whitley would never dress again if I were coach.

Ronny
10-25-2013, 09:40 AM
...bad game played by 2 bad teams.

I really can't articulate what a huge fool Dan Mullen is when it comes to critical in-game decisions.

smootness
10-25-2013, 09:52 AM
1. 100% agree. Ridiculous play call.

2. Totally agree.

3. Absolutely; he will definitely start with Gabe Jackson gone.

4. Totally agree, though I didn't take a lot of issue with his behavior on the sideline.

5. Yes. Market was a good signing.

6. Yes.

7. Meh...I think we are better and will be better long-term than we are now with Russell, but I do think a healthy Russell is still very effective.

8. I agree with the sentiment, but I'm still not to the 'fire Dan' stage. There are issues, and I know they've now been around for a couple of years. I obviously want them fixed and am no longer fully confident Mullen can fix them, but I'm just not full on the side of firing him yet.

dickiedawg
10-25-2013, 10:05 AM
When was Clayborn's first game, i.e. his redshirt lifted? I don't remember seeing anything said about this, though I saw him play last night.

bluelightstar
10-25-2013, 10:05 AM
8. I agree with the sentiment, but I'm still not to the 'fire Dan' stage. There are issues, and I know they've now been around for a couple of years. I obviously want them fixed and am no longer fully confident Mullen can fix them, but I'm just not full on the side of firing him yet.

My question is this: What are you waiting for?

smootness
10-25-2013, 10:45 AM
My question is this: What are you waiting for?

I honestly don't know how to answer that. There's not a certain point at which if x and y don't happen, I want him gone. I wouldn't be ticked if we let him go at this point, I'm just not pushing for it.

Honestly, part of it is that I think we can be really good next year, and I think that is the make-or-break year. This year we are pretty young all the way around, and while there are serious issues that need to be addressed, some of it you can attribute to youth and inexperience.

So if we have the same issues next year, then you can reasonably say it's never going to be fixed. I know a lot of people will say that we had similar issues last year and they still haven't been fixed, and that's fair; I'm not arguing that. And to some degree it gets frustrating when you continue to feel like 'next year is the year'.

But I said that with Stans before his last year, and I stuck with it - we looked bad that year, there were no excuses for it, and I changed my opinion and said he needed to go. I think next year is that year for Mullen; I'm just not quite ready to do it now.

CJDAWG85
10-25-2013, 11:36 AM
What did he do on the sidelines?

CadaverDawg
10-25-2013, 11:39 AM
1. I don't get Russell running around the end on 3rd and short. We've got Nick Griffin, Shumpert, Josh Robinson, Dak Prescott. There are better ways to try and get 1 or 2 yards to keep a drive alive. I do not understand that.

2. I still wish we would wear down a defense some. I would like to see us run more with someone that is no fun to tackle. Prescott is really the only one we use that fits that bill. We used Jameon Lewis 4 times in the run game against Bowling Green and only used Josh Robinson twice. I want to see more carries from Robinson/Griffin/Shumpert. Especially Robinson.

3. I love Jamaal Clayborn already. He has a guard's body. Big thick legs, big butt, wide body. Looks like he has a nasty streak. He really excites me. He will push for a starting spot next year.

4. Whitley's 2 personals were deserved and absolutely inexcusable. Nobody can defend what he did. Terrible. Just terrible. He embarrassed himself, his team, and his university. His actions on the sideline after the ejection made it worse.

5. Market doesn't have great ability, but he has my respect. He's not an athlete, he is a football player. A winner, a hustler, a player. Huge tackle on that last drive. He always finds a way to get it done. He had to get that guy to the ground and he did. If he doesn't make that tackle, he might go for a touchdown. Make the play Market. He did.

6. Redmond looks like a player.

7. We are far better with Dak than with Russell.

8. I am appreciative of what Dan has done but I believe it is time to hand the baton to Hud. The electricity and excitement is gone. Auburn made a tough decision to replace a coach who won a national championship and was recruiting well because they could see the hand-writing on the wall. I think replacing Dan would be tough, but I honestly believe that December would be the right time.

Damn good post, Bo.

[Awards Reputation points]

hacker
10-25-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm with you smoot. I don't think anyone on the board predicted more than 7 wins for us this year. Most had us at 5-7 or 6-6. Next year is the year we've all circled on the calendar. (It's one of those calendars that have a bunch of years in it.)

I do have a point at which I'd switch sides, and that's if we lose out OR we beat Arkansas and look shitty vs all of the other teams including Ole Miss.

CadaverDawg
10-25-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm with you smoot. I don't think anyone on the board predicted more than 7 wins for us this year. Most had us at 5-7 or 6-6. Next year is the year we've all circled on the calendar. (It's one of those calendars that have a bunch of years in it.)

I do have a point at which I'd switch sides, and that's if we lose out OR we beat Arkansas and look shitty vs all of the other teams including Ole Miss.

I agree.

I actually predicted us to win 5 games, with 6 being hopeful. But what I didn't predict is that we would look this bad doing it. After the way we ended last season, I expected us to be reenergized and hungry for wins...but I thought the schedule was so tough that we could be better but our record may not reflect it. So when we started the season with a turd offensively, and then blew a game against auburn, failed to show up against LSU, etc...I knew things weren't getting better. But I still thought, "well, Mullen knows the situation so he will really show out against BG and UK to show everyone he's still got it"....but we did the opposite and were lucky to win those games. That tells me that he lost his mojo and it ain't coming back. He's already had so many chances to revamp since the Bama game last year, but he just can't seem to break through. I don't get it, but it's not looking good.

If this had just started this season, I wouldn't be nearly as ready for a change. But this started halfway throu last season, and really before that, we just had an easy easy schedule early on last year. Remember we all thought "he's holding back for the good teams".. Haha, the joke was on us.

hacker
10-25-2013, 01:37 PM
I agree.

I actually predicted us to win 5 games, with 6 being hopeful. But what I didn't predict is that we would look this bad doing it. After the way we ended last season, I expected us to be reenergized and hungry for wins...but I thought the schedule was so tough that we could be better but our record may not reflect it. So when we started the season with a turd offensively, and then blew a game against auburn, failed to show up against LSU, etc...I knew things weren't getting better. But I still thought, "well, Mullen knows the situation so he will really show out against BG and UK to show everyone he's still got it"....but we did the opposite and were lucky to win those games. That tells me that he lost his mojo and it ain't coming back. He's already had so many chances to revamp since the Bama game last year, but he just can't seem to break through. I don't get it, but it's not looking good.

If this had just started this season, I wouldn't be nearly as ready for a change. But this started halfway throu last season, and really before that, we just had an easy easy schedule early on last year. Remember we all thought "he's holding back for the good teams".. Haha, the joke was on us.

By predicting only 5 wins, did you expect us to be in the Auburn game until the last drive or did Mullen exceed expectations there? We nearly lost to Troy last year and beat them 62-0 this year, do you see improvement there? I don't really care about the score of the BG/UK games because I think we were sleepwalking through both of those games. I also look at the roster and see how young we are, and how we are confused about our identity on O since it was Tyler's team the entire offseason. I think our best game is still ahead of us this year.

I also agree with smoot on the point that I wouldn't be upset if Hud took over, but I'm not calling for it yet, either.

However, if we come out and play SC, Alabama, A&M, and OM like we did vs BG and UK, then I will be calling for it.

CadaverDawg
10-25-2013, 01:56 PM
By predicting only 5 wins, did you expect us to be in the Auburn game until the last drive or did Mullen exceed expectations there? We nearly lost to Troy last year and beat them 62-0 this year, do you see improvement there? I don't really care about the score of the BG/UK games because I think we were sleepwalking through both of those games. I also look at the roster and see how young we are, and how we are confused about our identity on O since it was Tyler's team the entire offseason. I think our best game is still ahead of us this year.

I also agree with smoot on the point that I wouldn't be upset if Hud took over, but I'm not calling for it yet, either.

However, if we come out and play SC, Alabama, A&M, and OM like we did vs BG and UK, then I will be calling for it.

Yes, I expected us to be in the Auburn game. But I didn't expect to have it won, only for Mullen to piss it away.

Yes, I was pleased with Troy. In fact, I thought that was the best game Mullen had coached in the last 2 seasons.

Where I disagree with you is where you say " I didn't care about BG and UK, we slept walked through those games". To me, that is unacceptable. We are not a program that can afford to sleepwalk. And after last seasons year end slide, Mullen knows that we do not need a sleepwalk performance. Much less two. And these weren't the type of games that were close but you felt like it was never in jeopardy....No, these were games where if 1 play by the other team is made, we lose. That is unacceptable against Bg and UK, especially on our home field.

As for the youth and confusion about identity...lI don't understand how people can say they "understand" that when it is a direct reflection of the coach. Is he not the one responsible for who is on the field? Is he not responsible for our identity on offense? The players should not be confused about those things at this point in the season. Again, unacceptable to me.

I am not saying the guy has to be perfect. I just want to see some semblance of an ability to adjust in game, fire up our team, play the best players, teach the fundamentals, etc...and he used to do those things.

And I disagree that our best game is ahead of us. I just don't see it. Hopefully it is, because I would love nothing more than to see him reenergized this football team and turn us back in to the Mullen coached teams of his first 2-3 years. I really do.

And obviously, I respect your opinions. I like the discussion.

Bo Darville
10-26-2013, 01:15 PM
5. Yes. Market was a good signing.

Everyone that watched South Panola during Market's senior year said that Brassell was definitely the better athlete and the better talent. However, they all said that Market was South Panola's MVP. Said he was the glue-guy that always made a play and did whatever asked, at whatever position. He always made a play to help South Panola win. Market is probably the guy that won't get drafted by the NFL, but will go to camp as an undrafted free agent, then play on a team for 8 years. I love his effort, hustle, willingness to poke his head in the action, and willingness to help the team. He performs.

RougeDawg
10-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Yes, I expected us to be in the Auburn game. But I didn't expect to have it won, only for Mullen to piss it away.

Yes, I was pleased with Troy. In fact, I thought that was the best game Mullen had coached in the last 2 seasons.

Where I disagree with you is where you say " I didn't care about BG and UK, we slept walked through those games". To me, that is unacceptable. We are not a program that can afford to sleepwalk. And after last seasons year end slide, Mullen knows that we do not need a sleepwalk performance. Much less two. And these weren't the type of games that were close but you felt like it was never in jeopardy....No, these were games where if 1 play by the other team is made, we lose. That is unacceptable against Bg and UK, especially on our home field.

As for the youth and confusion about identity...lI don't understand how people can say they "understand" that when it is a direct reflection of the coach. Is he not the one responsible for who is on the field? Is he not responsible for our identity on offense? The players should not be confused about those things at this point in the season. Again, unacceptable to me.

I am not saying the guy has to be perfect. I just want to see some semblance of an ability to adjust in game, fire up our team, play the best players, teach the fundamentals, etc...and he used to do those things.

And I disagree that our best game is ahead of us. I just don't see it. Hopefully it is, because I would love nothing more than to see him reenergized this football team and turn us back in to the Mullen coached teams of his first 2-3 years. I really do.

And obviously, I respect your opinions. I like the discussion.

We will all get our answer next weekend, starting around 11:30 am when we play outside of Davis Wade for the first time since September 14!!! 7 weeks between road games is a little too long.