PDA

View Full Version : The reality is that online classes make this near impossible to oversee

Irondawg
08-23-2019, 01:47 PM
For everyone saying that the Athletic department should have never allowed this to happen - how do you stop it?

I don't have a ton of experience in on-line classes but I just don't see how any University athletic department could effectively monitor that this would never happen.

That's assuming if they even want to. You listen to half the SEC players do interviews and you can tell a lot of them are not honor roll students. I bet 20% of most rosters only stay eligible b/c of tutors doing most of their work.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 01:51 PM
There's no doubt that what happened here is going on in every football program in America.

That's why I don't get the 8 game suspension & probation for the program, when the program did nothing wrong.

Seems like it should be a 4-5 game suspension IMO. 8 is ridiculous & would not have happened to a blue blood

Cooterpoot
08-23-2019, 01:56 PM
We stay on ridiculous probation under Bracky. Fire his ass! His dept. is a failure. He neither prevents it, nor gets us off easy. He rolls over like a $2 whore.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 01:57 PM
Um you actually have a live proctor watch the student take the online test to verify said student is who they say they are. How the hell can a female pass for a male if these online exams were proctored. That’s how you stop this.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 01:59 PM
There's no doubt that what happened here is going on in every football program in America.

That's why I don't get the 8 game suspension & probation for the program, when the program did nothing wrong.

Seems like it should be a 4-5 game suspension IMO. 8 is ridiculous & would not have happened to a blue blood

In some universities sure, but not in most. Online classes that have high stakes exams are being watched by live proctors for the most part to prevent this kind of shit from happening. It?s embarrassing that we are still in the Stone Age on this.

maroonmania
08-23-2019, 02:04 PM
Um you actually have a live proctor watch the student take the online test to verify said student is who they say they are. How the hell can a female pass for a male if these online exams were proctored. That?s how you stop this.

Therein lies the problem. You are basically having VERY immature adults operating strictly on the honor system for these online classes where there is no additional supervision. If you have that scenario, you ARE going to have a problem its just a matter of when. The problem here is someone decided to report this. Most schools either probably do a better job of monitoring or are fortunate enough to not have someone report this when it does happen. Because given the circumstances of this, if left unsupervised, I can assure you it is happening everywhere.

dantheman4248
08-23-2019, 02:13 PM
Um you actually have a live proctor watch the student take the online test to verify said student is who they say they are. How the hell can a female pass for a male if these online exams were proctored. That’s how you stop this.

It's an entirely online class for 350 people. The whole point of it being online is so you can do it whenever at your leisure. You're not gonna staff people 24/7 for 350 people to take hw assignments and exams whenever they decide to and you can't just treat students differently in a class for no reason. That opens you to lawsuits.

Lord McBuckethead
08-23-2019, 02:35 PM
One lawsuit I see coming is anyone that was expelled recently due to academic issues like this. I hate to say it, but if it was a 140 lb one legged non-athlete.......he would have been expelled from the university the moment his tutor hit submit on the test.

We are ( fortunate?) as a football team to actually still have these guys there. We are unfortunate as a university to have this precedent hanging out there.

R2Dawg
08-23-2019, 09:05 PM
Yep every online class at every college in American has the same thing going on and NCAA knows it which makes the penalty even more sickening and pathetic.

So Auburn, Pearl can pay players and get caught by FBI and nothing and LSU same with coaches on voice tape as well as deep corruption and nothing happens, North Carolina, etc and nothing happens. What a joke.

Irondawg
08-23-2019, 09:49 PM
I'm curious to see what comes out of this Nike - Kentucky basketball information. I'm sure nothing will happen other than KY maybe fires Payne and more likely suspends him for 2 games

MedDawg
08-23-2019, 11:23 PM
In some universities sure, but not in most. Online classes that have high stakes exams are being watched by live proctors for the most part to prevent this kind of shit from happening. It?s embarrassing that we are still in the Stone Age on this.

According to Sean Tuohy, Oher's BYU online classes weren't like that for the "Great Mormon Grade Grab".

DancingRabbit
08-24-2019, 12:16 AM
We know that it isn't just us and Missouri that have "online class issues".

Now that we have snuffed it out here, and our verdict is in, let's ask all SEC tutors to do phone dumps. There is obviously cheating going on in the SEC, just ask Jim Harbaugh.

One thing I noticed in the Missouri deal was a comment about how the math dept there was hard. So most athletes did their math courses at some generic online university. Is that acceptable? Is that going on everywhere?

I think we should use our exemplary compliance as a lesson to promote fair play.

Todd4State
08-24-2019, 12:37 AM

This is probably the solution.

DovaDawg
08-24-2019, 09:23 AM
Matt Wyatt mentioned yesterday that bc the tutor was a part time employee of the university, the NCAA was able to get involved. Had it been an independent tutor, it would have been a violation of the student honor code and handled internally with no NCAA involvement.

ShotgunDawg
08-24-2019, 09:45 AM
Matt Wyatt mentioned yesterday that bc the tutor was a part time employee of the university, the NCAA was able to get involved. Had it been an independent tutor, it would have been a violation of the student honor code and handled internally with no NCAA involvement.

That makes a lot of sense actually.

- The tutor has to be employed or the players would have to hire their own, which is absurd.
- Once paid, the employer become liable for the actions of the employee.

Dawgology
08-24-2019, 10:15 AM

Most intro level classes don’t do live proctor. It’s a series of quizzes that are open for 2-3 days each week and a final exam that usually requires going to a proctor lab to take.

trojandawg
08-24-2019, 10:26 AM
I have taken several online classes with quizzes, papers, projects. Quizzes were only open at certain times and were time but no proctor checking. Had to give several presentations. It would have been pretty obvious if I wasn?t the one doing the work. For quizzes I could have had someone take it but I didn?t. But my other work would have shown I didn?t know what was talking about. Just up to students to not be cheaters and tutors and professors to recognize a peculiar situation if someone is cheating.