PDA

View Full Version : Suspensions Announced: Brutal

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 11:16 AM

bulldawg28
08-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Damn...welp. Moorehead is about to be fired.

RezDog7
08-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Good lord. But were any coaches couches's slept on?

Covercorner2
08-23-2019, 11:22 AM

Huh?

TrapGame
08-23-2019, 11:24 AM
Three years probation is a freaking joke. Losing scholarships is criminal. The NCAA is worthless.

RiverCityDawg

Wut?

MadDawg
Holy 17. We are M-State.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Shocking. Just truly shocking*****on to the season

drunkernhelldawg
08-23-2019, 11:27 AM
Depressing as hell. Huge challenge for our programs to overcome. Vacating wins about makes me stand up and scream. Why do they always pull out the big hammer for us? Remind me of what they put us through back in the mid 70's, when we had to forfeit every game of one of our few "winning" seasons.

Compared to what happened to UNC and Um, this seems excessive and unfair.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 11:27 AM
- I'm pissed that there was so little oversight by our Athletic department that this happened. THIS CANNOT 17ING HAPPEN
- I'm pissed that we recruited cheaters & kids that can't handle their shit.
- I'm pissed that EVERY.SINGLE.TIME we do something that is considered against the rule, we get the maximum penalty while others do not.
- I'm pissed that we don't have lawyers to threaten litigation & fight penalties. We just take because we felt we were wrong deserve it. Regardless if you are wrong, you fight the penalties.
- Seriously? Brackey? reduction in wins & scholarship losses for kids using a tutor outside of the football program? Seriously? Why didn't we fight that? I get the suspensions, but not the other stuff. Every MSU fan should be absolutely pissed about that.

We need new leadership in the compliance office. I get that WE screwed up here but he penalties reflect an administration that didn't fight a lick & were scared to death of questioning the NCAA's authority. Meanwhile, Allen Love still hasn't had his waiver ruled on, of which I'm sure it will be denied, because we have absolutely no spine.

See, I'm not deflecting like Ole Miss does. This is an US problem that needs to be fixed from the players to the administration that rolled over like lap dogs.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Three years probation is a freaking joke. Losing scholarships is criminal. The NCAA is worthless.

It's OUR compliance. They don't fight & need to be run out by the money people at our school. They just take it up the rear

maroonmania
08-23-2019, 11:28 AM
And THIS is why I haven't been excited for this season. Knowing what was going on and having Bracky at the helm this was inevitable.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Depressing as hell. Huge challenge for our programs to overcome. Vacating wins about makes me stand up and scream. Why do they always pull out the big hammer for us? Remind me of what they put us through back in the mid 70's, when we had to forfeit every game of one of our few "winning" seasons.

Compared to what happened to UNC and Um, this seems excessive and unfair.

Because those schools appeal & threaten litigation while our school just takes it. Complete incompetence in our compliance

Dawg2003
08-23-2019, 11:29 AM
So what does it mean that all sports are on probation? Do other sports lose scholarships too?

Covercorner2
08-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Well Mizzou has a bowl ban and we don't...

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 11:30 AM
And THIS is why I haven't been excited for this season. Knowing what was going on and having Bracky at the helm this was inevitable.

Bracky is a Yes man that the NCAA knows they can give the hammer & he'll just say YES SIR. In fact our entire university is. Completely unacceptable penalties for what happened

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 11:31 AM
It's OUR compliance. They don't fight & need to be run out by the money people at our school. They just take it up the rear

You need to know all the facts before saying stuff like this. You're just wrong. Lots of pieces to the puzzle. I'm content. Hell look at Missouri.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 11:32 AM

Again, you need to know everything and you don't. Bracket just becomes the punching bag for a message board.

ShotgunDawg
You need to know all the facts before saying stuff like this. You're just wrong. Lots of pieces to the puzzle. I'm content. Hell look at Missouri.

I know that these penalties far exceed the wrong doing.

We got teams buying players that get less than this. Brutal

Commercecomet24

This! While this is bad, this could've gone down the abyss very quickly.

TrapGame
08-23-2019, 11:34 AM
This! While this is bad, this could've gone down the abyss very quickly.

And that's the problem.

We could have gotten worse than OM got over a tutor and 10 guys. That's ridiculous!

Liverpooldawg
Bracky is a Yes man that the NCAA knows they can give the hammer & he'll just say YES SIR. In fact our entire university is. Completely unacceptable penalties for what happened

We are extremely fortunate it wasn't worse. That was some serious stuff. Whoever oversees the tutors should be fired.

StarkVegasSteve
Mizzou had basically the same thing happen and got a bowl ban. We got off relatively light. The 3 years probation is a bit harsh, but there's no vacating wins or bowl bans are players ruled ineligible for the season. Hell they're letting us pick the 8 games. I mean one scholarship in basketball and two in football. Hell we usually give the last couple to fringe people anyways.

It's not ideal and more heads should've rolled as a result of this, but all in all we could've gotten absolutely hammered and we didn't.

Scared_Hitless
We had multiple players committing Academic fraud that was easily proven take your lumps and move on. This is on the coaches Joe and Ben and our players. Sure the penalties are stiff but if you want them to be student athletes this is indefensible. Most kids are expelled for this just fyi, they lose some eligibility consider them lucky.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 11:35 AM

Again, and I'll check out, you don't know all the pieces and parts.

Covercorner2
08-23-2019, 11:35 AM

We buy players, too. We just committed academic fraud, too, bro. We don't have a bowl ban. Chill.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 11:36 AM
And that's the problem.

We could have gotten worse than OM got over a tutor and 10 guys. That's ridiculous!

We lost bowls for two years and 13 scholarships?? I missed that part***

ShotgunDawg

And you're a yes man as well.

Liverpooldawg

You are nuts. Those guys could have been kicked out of school. I'm very surprised they weren't. They probably should be. Academic fraud is serious business.

RiverCityDawg

That is a ridiculous take. This could have been MUCH worse. We had a tutor cheating for 10 players and damn near did the entire class for one of them. We very easily could have gotten a bowl ban. These guys broke one of the cardinal rules of being a college athlete and the penalties should be severe. At least now it's done and we can move on to the season. Hopefully the rumors are right about Willie and Autry being only starters impacted. Either way, this could have been much worse.

RezDog7
08-23-2019, 11:37 AM
We had multiple players committing Academic fraud that was easily proven take your lumps and move on. This is on the coaches Joe and Ben and our players. Sure the penalties are stiff but if you want them to be student athletes this is indefensible. Most kids are expelled for this just fyi, they lose some eligibility consider them lucky.

So Joe and Ben can control cheating? How about this in on the players.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
We are extremely fortunate it wasn't worse. That was some serious stuff. Whoever oversees the tutors should be fired.

How in the freak did we let this happen when the NCAA was camped out in Oxford for the last 5 years for the same stuff?

ShotgunDawg
FWIW, our coaches have a new gimmick this year for competition:

Guess which suspended player will play this week.

We can trick the competition by them not knowing who will play

maroonmania
08-23-2019, 11:38 AM

Exactly, this falling on your sword crap gets you nothing. We got hit harder for the actions of this one rogue tutor than Ole Miss did for buying players and having the most level 1 football recruiting violations in NCAA history. The eligibility loss and forfeits should have been plenty for this. The fact that we lost essentially the same scholarships for this that OM did for their rogue recruiting is a sham.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-23-2019, 11:39 AM
You are nuts. Those guys could have been kicked out of school. I'm very surprised they weren't. They probably should be. Academic fraud is serious business.

Seems to be serious business while enrolled, but cheat on an entrancement exam like the ACT and all is well.

Homedawg

If that makes you feel better. Fine. Just that you have a keypad and no info. Or very limited. But feel free to start another 2000 threads bitching about it, even though you don't know what you are talking about.

NickoeWatersHedges
This is being blown out of proportion in my opinion. It sucks but its not a death blow. A tutor offers to take online tests for a kid for a couple bucks, this happens absolutely everywhere. We lose a couple scholarships and figure out the best way to allocate suspensions to minimize the impact. Other programs have it way worse, take a deep breath. This will have a smaller affect than people think right now. We are still looking good for this year and it helps that our first 4 games are still manageable without the two starters.

Scared_Hitless
08-23-2019, 11:40 AM
So Joe and Ben can control cheating? How about this in on the players.

I put the players as well, but they oversee all aspects of the program so yes they should have some inkling of knowledge when it comes to academics. Captain goes down with the ship.

NickoeWatersHedges
08-23-2019, 11:40 AM

Hope that was sarcasm

Cowbell
08-23-2019, 11:42 AM

Brackey, I often give you a hard time, but I?m with you here. We are fortunate all 11 did not get kicked out of school. That?s what happens to non athletes.

maroonmania
08-23-2019, 11:42 AM
Seems to be serious business while enrolled, but cheat on an entrancement exam like the ACT and all is well.

Bingo, OM had academic fraud for college admittance in their infractions and it didn't seem to be all that big a deal in the long run. Heck, 10 players serving 8 games each is unreal. Thats' basically 12% of your entire roster sitting out the majority of your games.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2019, 11:43 AM

Exactly. Academic fraud is serious, serious. If my kid did this you wouldn't have to worry about the school or ncaa punishing them, I would have made their life a living hell. We are extremely lucky they weren't expelled as they probably should have been.

maroonmania
08-23-2019, 11:43 AM
Brackey, I often give you a hard time, but I?m with you here. We are fortunate all 11 did not get kicked out of school. That?s what happens to non athletes.

The eligibility and forfeits make sense. Heck, even if you kicked out the offenders, that would make sense. How does losing scholarships for this make sense?

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 11:44 AM
The eligibility and forfeits make sense. Heck, even if you kicked out the offenders, that would make sense. How does losing scholarships for this make sense?

Would a bowl ban make you feel better??

wild_dawg
08-23-2019, 11:44 AM
It could have been A LOT worse, having two starters suspended is not the end of the world. Its over, we don't have to go in front of the NCAA like the shit birds did and have a media shit show. We avoided a bowl ban.

HancockCountyDog
08-23-2019, 11:45 AM

My guess is that we offered that as opposed to a bowl ban for this year. That is a no brainer. You take the scholarship hits and move on.

Johnson85
08-23-2019, 11:45 AM
This is being blown out of proportion in my opinion. It sucks but its not a death blow. A tutor offers to take online tests for a kid for a couple bucks, this happens absolutely everywhere. We lose a couple scholarships and figure out the best way to allocate suspensions to minimize the impact. Other programs have it way worse, take a deep breath. This will have a smaller affect than people think right now. We are still looking good for this year and it helps that our first 4 games are still manageable without the two starters.

The team penalties were extremely disproportionate to the offense. Mizzou got what it got because it was a repeat offender.

That said, the individual penalties could have been worse. We could have lost players for an entire season. That said, the NCAA doesn't make it easy on universities that cooperate. The main benefit (which granted, is a huge one), is that we're not recruiting under a cloud of uncertainty about future penalties. But the way the NCAA works is ridiculous. Basically, the process is the punishment for the most part, and the benefit of cooperating is in shortening the process, not actually limiting the official penalties. That's a perverse system.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-23-2019, 11:46 AM
So where did this originate from? Was it a disgruntled tutor that reported it or did MSU catch it?

Commercecomet24
08-23-2019, 11:47 AM
The team penalties were extremely disproportionate to the offense. Mizzou got what it got because it was a repeat offender.

That said, the individual penalties could have been worse. We could have lost players for an entire season. That said, the NCAA doesn't make it easy on universities that cooperate. The main benefit (which granted, is a huge one), is that we're not recruiting under a cloud of uncertainty about future penalties. But the way the NCAA works is ridiculous. Basically, the process is the punishment for the most part, and the benefit of cooperating is in shortening the process, not actually limiting the official penalties. That's a perverse system.

Now I do agree with this. The NCAA is a screwed up mess and only getting worse.

maroonmania
08-23-2019, 11:48 AM
And that's the problem.

We basically got the same. I mean they got bowl bans while we are going to forfeit wins apparently. Lost about the same scholarships. We didn't have the cloud of investigation was about the only thing better on our end.

FriarsPoint
08-23-2019, 11:50 AM
A non-athlete student, IMO, would’ve been kicked out of school. Had the school done exactly that, I wonder how all this would’ve played out instead of what we got

thf24
This obviously sucks, but could be a lot worse and I can't help but chuckle at the fact that the NCAA handed a tutor a 10 year show cause.

maroonmania

Ole Miss didn't lose even close to 13 scholarships. What are you talking about?

Homedawg
We basically got the same. I mean they got bowl bans while we are going to forfeit wins apparently. Lost about the same scholarships. We didn't have the cloud of investigation was about the only thing better on our end.

You think it was the same?? Holy cow man. Be real. That's funny.

RiverCityDawg
08-23-2019, 11:51 AM

It's absolutely limited. We didn't get a bowl/postseason ban, which we would have gotten had it not been self reported. That's absolutely huge. How are people missing this?

TrapGame
08-23-2019, 11:51 AM

Could have gotten - I guess you missed that part.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 11:52 AM
Ole Miss didn't lose even close to 13 scholarships. What are you talking about?

Ok.....no point in arguing w someone who either has a really bad memory or is just clueless.

chef dixon
I couldn't give two shits about forfeited wins. We all saw the games. No bowl ban is huge because its the one that really hangs over the program.

RiverCityDawg

Basically the same? I'm just amazed that we have people that see it this way. Who cares about vacated wins from last year?

TrapGame
08-23-2019, 11:54 AM
This obviously sucks, but could be a lot worse and I can't help but chuckle at the fact that the NCAA handed a tutor a 10 year show cause.

LOL! That's ridiculous. There are coaches that have done worse and got off lighter.

Cooterpoot
08-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Fire Bracky. The times we?ve gotten killed by the NCAA have been under his watch. Just fire his ass.

maroonmania
08-23-2019, 11:55 AM

We shouldn't be losing scholarships or have a bowl ban given we uncovered the situation and reported it and cleaned it up. NCAA gives a lot of incentive for schools to cover things up. We could have taken care of this internally without reporting it if we had so chosen so why do we get a hammer over the head for it.

Jack Lambert
08-23-2019, 11:58 AM

So it is 10 total for both teams together?

Homedawg
We shouldn't be losing scholarships or have a bowl ban given we uncovered the situation and reported it and cleaned it up. NCAA gives a lot of incentive for schools to cover things up. We could have taken care of this internally without reporting it if we had so chosen so why do we get a hammer over the head for it.

So just cover it up?? That always works well.

DancingRabbit

She should have got a 20-year show cause. Bitch. **

NickoeWatersHedges

If you got that route you best not miss. If the NCAA found out about the academic issues and a cover up we would have double the consequences.

Homedawg
So it is 10 total for both teams?

Ten total what?

Prentis
08-23-2019, 11:59 AM
Will someone refresh my memory? What happen to Fred Brown whenever he got caught cheating? It's not the end of the world, this could have set the program back for years. I'm glad its over.

maroonmania
08-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Ok.....no point in arguing w someone who either has a really bad memory or is just clueless.

Yep, you are correct. I seriously thought the NCAA had lowered the scholarship reduction significantly on the appeal but I guess they did not.

msu15
08-23-2019, 12:03 PM
The punishments are minor, but man, what a piss poor job by the department for letting this happen to begin with.

Jack Lambert
08-23-2019, 12:03 PM
Ten total what?

It said ten players suspended. Was that for both basketball and football together?

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 12:05 PM
It said ten players suspended. Was that for both basketball and football together?

No. But that's almost correct.

IMissJack
08-23-2019, 12:05 PM
How does this affect Cohen's job?

DancingRabbit
08-23-2019, 12:06 PM
I just read the whole thing. I don't see how we could have handled it any better once it was uncovered.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/infractions/decisions/Aug2019INF_MississippiStateNRPUBLICAgreement.pdf

BrunswickDawg
08-23-2019, 12:10 PM
Heard Whop, Willie, Dolla Bill, Jett Johnson, Furge, Reed, Murphy, Mayden, Autry...

SailingDawg
08-23-2019, 12:10 PM
Possible the tutor was an Ole Miss plant?

msu15
08-23-2019, 12:11 PM
Heard Whop, Willie, Dolla Bill, Jett Johnson, Furge, Reed, Murphy, Mayden, Autry...

If that's who it is I will definitely take it. Could be a hell of a lot worse.

SailingDawg
08-23-2019, 12:12 PM
So where did this originate from? Was it a disgruntled tutor that reported it or did MSU catch it?

UNM planted a tutor in our system then ratted us out.

basedog
08-23-2019, 12:13 PM
How those players are still allowed in school is surprising to me. Like many have said non athletic students would be dismissed. Pretty sure that is the "code of ethics".

I agree whoever is in charge of the "athletic studies" should be fired. 3 years of probation is not something to take lightly, nor losing some recruiting "processes".

Glad it's over now, and yes the Ncaa sucks!

KOdawg1
No tf he isn't

MarketingBully
- I'm pissed that there was so little oversight by our Athletic department that this happened. THIS CANNOT 17ING HAPPEN
- I'm pissed that we recruited cheaters & kids that can't handle their shit.
- I'm pissed that EVERY.SINGLE.TIME we do something that is considered against the rule, we get the maximum penalty while others do not.
- I'm pissed that we don't have lawyers to threaten litigation & fight penalties. We just take because we felt we were wrong deserve it. Regardless if you are wrong, you fight the penalties.
- Seriously? Brackey? reduction in wins & scholarship losses for kids using a tutor outside of the football program? Seriously? Why didn't we fight that? I get the suspensions, but not the other stuff. Every MSU fan should be absolutely pissed about that.

We need new leadership in the compliance office. I get that WE screwed up here but he penalties reflect an administration that didn't fight a lick & were scared to death of questioning the NCAA's authority. Meanwhile, Allen Love still hasn't had his waiver ruled on, of which I'm sure it will be denied, because we have absolutely no spine.

See, I'm not deflecting like Ole Miss does. This is an US problem that needs to be fixed from the players to the administration that rolled over like lap dogs.

You think? Now do people think some in our admin should be fired? The NCAA just destroyed us over a dumb ass tutor.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 12:16 PM
The punishments are minor, but man, what a piss poor job by the department for letting this happen to begin with.

No ****ing shit.

SailingDawg
08-23-2019, 12:16 PM
UNM planted a tutor in our system then ratted us out.

SPS says tutor is State student and an OM fan, turned us in. Wonder what kind of cash s/he earned from the bagmen?

msstate7
08-23-2019, 12:18 PM
SPS says tutor is State student and an OM fan, turned us in. Wonder what kind of cash s/he earned from the bagmen?

Wasn't she kicked out of school? If she did this for money (I doubt), she better have got a lot

RougeDawg
08-23-2019, 12:19 PM
For the record Scooba was so triggered last month by one of my posts he sent an attacking negative reputation comment calling me a douche.

For the record the topic was whether or not out athletic department would be marketing our players leading up and through the season.

To which I replied along the lines that, if they handled it any way close to how they handled this when it happened and handled these suspensions, probably not. Inferring that they are incompetent in all that they do, and we should expect Nothing more, until proven otherwise.

So once again. I?m not coming here to start rumors. If I post something is has substance. When I do post them I typically get attacked by the easily triggered crew. Even suspended for posting indisputable facts, a moderator could not handle being posted.

For those of you looking for the facts, I?ll try to keep bringing what I can, when I can, in proper way.

To the easily triggered crowd, who want ?truth over facts? I will Never be able to help you. Truly sad.

RiverCityDawg
08-23-2019, 12:19 PM

I'll breathe a sign of relief if this is true. Willie, Autry (both of which we already knew) and Murphy are the only ones of that group that are even guaranteed to play.

RiverCityDawg
08-23-2019, 12:20 PM
For the record Scooba was so triggered last month by one of my posts he sent an attacking negative reputation comment calling me a douche.

For the record the topic was whether or not out athletic department would be marketing our players leading up and through the season.

To which I replied along the lines that, if they handled it any way close to how they handled this when it happened and handled these suspensions, probably not. Inferring that they are incompetent in all that they do, and we should expect Nothing more, until proven otherwise.

So once again. I?m not coming here to start rumors. If I post something is has substance. When I do post them I typically get attacked by the easily triggered crew. Even suspended for posting indisputable facts, a moderator could not handle being posted.

For those of you looking for the facts, I?ll try to keep bringing what I can, when I can, in proper way.

To the easily triggered crowd, who want ?truth over facts? I will Never be able to help you. Truly sad.

And you said KT was included in this, right?

Maroonthirteen
08-23-2019, 12:24 PM
You think? Now do people think some in our admin should be fired? The NCAA just destroyed us over a dumb ass tutor.

Destroyed is a bit strong. The media will destroy our reputation all season but the penalties are light.

MarketingBully
I'll breathe a sign of relief if this is true. Willie, Autry (both of which we already knew) and Murphy are the only ones of that group that are even guaranteed to play.

Yeah if it’s that group it’s really not going to effect us whatsoever. Only 3 of those guys are on the two deep. If it’s that group I doubt it’s going to even effect wins.

HancockCountyDog
Wasn't she kicked out of school? If she did this for money (I doubt), she better have got a lot

I'm surprised the kids weren't kicked out of school. I think Fred Brown was kicked out by the university for something similar. Reading through the report - she took exams for the players, we are damn lucky they aren't kicked out of school. I think that point is being missed by our fans in all of this, we could have easily lost all 10 players if the university wanted to kick them out.

shannondawg
08-23-2019, 12:25 PM
If it had been bama, "they would have said one tutor doing the work for 10 fb players and 1 bb is entirely too much of a work load, we insist that another tutor be hired to lesson the work load. We will give you two years to hire another one, or serious penalties could be invoked. Not likely but could be.

fader2103
08-23-2019, 12:25 PM
I know I will get flak for this but its my opinion and I could give 2 shyts about what ya'll think but this is the reason why we should not pay players. One poster on page 2 mentioned that for a few bucks the tutor took tests.. No the tutor pretty much did all of the work for these "student"-athletes. And this isn't just going on at State. I know several instances when I was in school that players had others writing papers for them. I am not going to be one of those that blames the coaches, this is all on the players and the tutor. We deserve what we got.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Destroyed is a bit strong. The media will destroy our reputation all season but the penalties are light.

Scholarship reductions and 3 years probation for this shit is not light. What did the NCAA do to UNC when they had a fake class for 30 ****ing years. Absolutely nothing.

MrKotter
08-23-2019, 12:28 PM

If you want to be taken seriously stop using 13 year old girl terms like triggered. It?s 17ing stupid.

dantheman4248
08-23-2019, 12:31 PM
The fact that this is over Survey of Chemistry 1 is such a ****ing joke.

The entire class can be done by literally copying from chegg. It's the biggest joke on campus, bar none.

The only Academic Fraud being committed is our university acting like it's an actual class and requiring people to pay for the credit hours.

- Signed, someone who made an A in both SoC1 & 2 (amongst numerous other Chem classes) and also tutored them.

ZedFedder
08-23-2019, 12:31 PM
I mean, it stinks... But its not the end of the world. I feel the sanctions are appropriate and not too bad.

redstickdawg
08-23-2019, 12:33 PM
Time to clean house in the AD compliance office. they should have been on top of things like this and not asleep at the wheel. Either IB does something or Keenum needs to totally clean house in the AD, after what happened to Missouri this is ineptitude at it's finest.
We got of worse that scum and they paid half of their team, NCAA WTF?

RiverCityDawg
08-23-2019, 12:36 PM
The fact that this is over Survey of Chemistry 1 is such a ****ing joke.

The entire class can be done by literally copying from chegg. It's the biggest joke on campus, bar none.

The only Academic Fraud being committed is our university acting like it's an actual class and requiring people to pay for the credit hours.

- Signed, someone who made an A in both SoC1 & 2 (amongst numerous other Chem classes) and also tutored them.

Even more of a reason for the lazy jackasses to just do the work themselves.

thf24
08-23-2019, 12:37 PM

You weren't totally wrong so I'm not going to say this is definitively the case, but you need to know that your tone, choice of words, and general ambiguity come across as one of those simply parroting information that's already been shared for fake internet cred, instead of actually knowing anything more than the rest of us.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-23-2019, 12:37 PM
Yeah if it?s that group it?s really not going to effect us whatsoever. Only 3 of those guys are on the two deep. If it?s that group I doubt it?s going to even effect wins.

Wasn't Furge supposed to be our 3rd CB?

Either way, we're now 1 injury away from being absolutely screwed at DB. Smitherman, Dantzler, Cole, Landrews, Peters as the 5, then who behind them? We can use MM to buy 1 guy a bit of time to heal, but 4 games means we have to have other backups be ready to go in game just for rotations' sake. If we have 2 injuries like last year (Cole and Landrews) our DB situation will be pretty bad.

LB, we have Tim Washington as the 3rd LB and supposedly Brule can play for a few snaps. 1 injury puts us at a bad spot but if we buy what we're hearing about Brule I think we can handle it.

Loosing Autry though... man that's serious. Which 4 do you play him in? Auburn, TN, OM jump out to me, but then what? Play him vs Arkansas or Kentucky and concede A&M and LSU and Bama? Trust we can beat Arky/Kentucky without him and play him vs one of the big 3? Personally I'd play him vs Kentucky, they have a legit OL and their QB can't throw so they'll test us inside. It's critical for our season we win that

But wthout Autry I have a hard time believing we can stand up to any decent OL relying true and RS Fr and a Sr who's never done ANYTHING to play literally every snap. Even last year in mop up duty the returning guys showed no flashes. Autry is very much needed to raise the floor of that unit

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 12:39 PM
Yeah if it’s that group it’s really not going to effect us whatsoever. Only 3 of those guys are on the two deep. If it’s that group I doubt it’s going to even effect wins.

Just hurts numbers as far as special teams depth etc.

FriarsPoint
08-23-2019, 12:40 PM
Scholarship reductions and 3 years probation for this shit is not light. What did the NCAA do to UNC when they had a fake class for 30 ****ing years. Absolutely nothing.

This is where I’m coming from. The ncaa talking out of both sides of its mouth. Either they have jurisdiction over academics or they don’t. Personally, I think it’s nothing more than a bunch of pencil neck academics finding a wormy way to chase money.

KOdawg1
08-23-2019, 12:42 PM
Wasn't Furge supposed to be our 3rd CB?

Not even close. Tyler Williams, Korey Charles, Jarrian Jones, and Martin Emerson have all passed him.

dantheman4248
08-23-2019, 12:46 PM
Even more of a reason for the lazy jackasses to just do the work themselves.

They're lazy no doubt. But it's also on the academic setup for athletes for not teaching them this themselves. And it's on the administration for rolling over in comparison to what happened to UNC with their fake class setup. We have 1 rouge tutor. Why the **** are we penalized when the NCAA didn't penalize UNC for their huge faux class setup.

Note: I'm totally fine with the suspensions for the players being whatever. All the other shit is for the birds. Acting like we have LOIC over one vindictive woman. Pathetic.

msbulldog
08-23-2019, 12:48 PM

https://www.honorcode.msstate.edu/sites ... orCode.pdf

If you are a grad student or vet student, you cheat, you're screwed.

If you are undergrad and it's your second offense, you're pretty much screwed.

If you are an undergrad and it's your first offense, the punishments range from 0 on the assignment you cheated on all the way up to expulsion. The instructor of the class pretty much decides on the low end of the scale, with recommendation to a committee for the higher punishments.

BrunswickDawg
08-23-2019, 12:48 PM
I'm surprised the kids weren't kicked out of school. I think Fred Brown was kicked out by the university for something similar. Reading through the report - she took exams for the players, we are damn lucky they aren't kicked out of school. I think that point is being missed by our fans in all of this, we could have easily lost all 10 players if the university wanted to kick them out.

I think it's because our Chem department was a cluster last year - including mid year firings. Lots of things under review in that department.

whosyourdawgy
08-23-2019, 12:51 PM

And you are a whiny ass. We could?ve had 2 game suspensions for this and you would?ve still been bitching. It?s what you do! Is it a little more than I thought? Yes. Could it have been a helluva lot worse? Dang right. Now the real coaching comes to play. What games do our key guys involved actually play in? Start em at LSU and play
LSU
A&M
Bama
Ole amiss?

KOdawg1
08-23-2019, 12:52 PM
These punishments aren't "brutal," they're justified, and we should be glad it's not worse. Maybe the scholly reductions are a bit much, but we should consider ourselves lucky that we didn't get the same fate Mizzou did. We'll be fine. It's embarrassing, but we'll get through it. At least we're not Ole Miss.

CadaverDawg
08-23-2019, 12:52 PM
These penalties aren't that bad really. Shouldn't affect us too much. Shotgun melted and others followed suit, but it's really not bad at all.

msbulldog
08-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Bingo, OM had academic fraud for college admittance in their infractions and it didn't seem to be all that big a deal in the long run. Heck, 10 players serving 8 games each is unreal. Thats' basically 12% of your entire roster sitting out the majority of your games.

The OM players that were implicated in the ACT fraud were long gone by the time their penalties were handed down.

maroonmania
08-23-2019, 12:56 PM
So just cover it up?? That always works well.

I said the NCAA doesn't provide much incentive to NOT cover it up. I mean you might get hit slightly harder if found covering it up OR you might not get hit with anything if it isn't found out. The fact that the penalty isn't significantly different either way is the perplexing thing.

BeardoMSU
These penalties aren't that bad really. Shouldn't affect us too much. Shotgun melted and others followed suit, but it's really not bad at all.

Exactly. Post season bans for football and basketball would've been bad.

dantheman4248
These punishments aren't "brutal," they're justified, and we should be glad it's not worse. Maybe the scholly reductions are a bit much, but we should consider ourselves lucky that we didn't get the same fate Mizzou did. We'll be fine. It's embarrassing, but we'll get through it. At least we're not Ole Miss.

These punishments (for the University specifically, the players deserve what they get) are infinitely worse than what UNC got 2 years ago for full blown institutional academic fraud. From the top down. We had a rogue tutor. They got nothing.

That's why the melt. Shotgun is totally justified in melting at that and everyone else should be rightly pissed as well. The NCAA's enforcement double standards are awful and we should not take that. Period.

NCDawg
08-23-2019, 12:57 PM
I don't know what the parameters are for "loss of institutional control",but I don't suppose Moorhead was in any danger of that. It is my understanding that is the most serious penalty.

KOdawg1
08-23-2019, 12:57 PM

People see "probation" and "vacated wins" and they freak the hell out. The worst penalty in all of this (besides the suspensions of course), is the negative publicity. It's embarrassing that something like this happened, and steps should be taken to ensure it doesn't happen again. That being said, this won't tank our program

CadaverDawg
08-23-2019, 12:58 PM
These punishments (for the University specifically, the players deserve what they get) are infinitely worse than what UNC got 2 years ago for full blown institutional academic fraud. From the top down. We had a rogue tutor. They got nothing.

That's why the melt. Shotgun is totally justified in melting at that and everyone else should be rightly pissed as well. The NCAA's enforcement double standards are awful and we should not take that. Period.

Ok. Melt away

CadaverDawg
08-23-2019, 12:59 PM
People see "probation" and "vacated wins" and they freak the hell out. The worst penalty in all of this (besides the suspensions of course), is the negative publicity. It's embarrassing that something like this happened, and steps should be taken to ensure it doesn't happen again. That being said, this won't tank our program

Yep

maroonmania
08-23-2019, 01:00 PM

Are you freakin' kidding me? I can't believe that to be accurate. The tutor that did this turned us in and then didn't cooperate in the investigation? That doesn't seem right even if she was an OM fan, which I can absolutely believe.

Liverpooldawg
08-23-2019, 01:04 PM

Not buying that. Didn't she get kicked out of school?

Beaver
08-23-2019, 01:04 PM
Full report is a short read. Basically a tutor overheard/saw a football player pointing at a different tutor saying she would help on Chemistry in exchange for $$. Tutor reports this conversation to his/her boss and MSU compliance took over. Conducted the investigation (winter/spring of 2019) and got confessions of academic fraud from 11 athletes. Disgraced tutor initially lied, and then declined to say/do anything further. She did not comply with MSU or NCAA whatsoever. She took finals for all 11 athletes as well as multiple exams for each. Level I violation, but MSU's "exemplary cooperation" (ha) helped limit penalties. Possible that Moorehead is officially 0-0 as MSU's football coach.

drunkernhelldawg
08-23-2019, 01:05 PM

I'm actually a little uncomfortable that they weren't suspended from school. It's such an obvious double standard that it has to be a negative to our academic credibility.

dantheman4248
08-23-2019, 01:05 PM

Put it this way.

Your brother is caught stealing money from mom's purse after a month of her wondering where $5 went every day. They give him a stern talking to about the importance of not stealing and then leave him be.

You are then caught pocketing $5 change for yourself after going to the store and buying milk. You're given a whipping and grounded for a week.

Seem fair? Cause that's the equivalent of UNC and MSU with NCAA being the parents in that situation.

maroonmania
08-23-2019, 01:07 PM
The OM players that were implicated in the ACT fraud were long gone by the time their penalties were handed down.

But weren't OM associated folks involved in setting up the ACT test takers? That's the point. The fact the players didn't turn out to be worth keeping is sort of secondary.

maroonmania
08-23-2019, 01:09 PM
Full report is a short read. Basically a tutor overheard/saw a football player pointing at a different tutor saying she would help on Chemistry in exchange for $$. Tutor reports this conversation to his/her boss and MSU compliance took over. Conducted the investigation (winter/spring of 2019) and got confessions of academic fraud from 11 athletes. Disgraced tutor initially lied, and then declined to say/do anything further. She did not comply with MSU or NCAA whatsoever. She took finals for all 11 athletes as well as multiple exams for each. Level I violation, but MSU's "exemplary cooperation" (ha) helped limit penalties. Possible that Moorehead is officially 0-0 as MSU's football coach.

That sounds believable. Yep, clean slate for Moorhead! Although, I guess we get to keep the losses. Too bad we can't vacate those.

Rick Danko
08-23-2019, 01:10 PM
Damn we stay on probation. One of the most probation ridden schools in history. That is a fact.

Liverpooldawg
08-23-2019, 01:11 PM

The difference is that what happened at UNC wasn't just for athletes. The whole student body could take that fake class and many did. That made it an accreditation problem, not an NCAA problem. They nearly lost their accreditation over it.

Maroonthirteen
08-23-2019, 01:12 PM

I agree with you that the ncaa is inconsistent and hammers low hanging fruit for appearances. UNC got off light for sure.

But I don?t agree this ?destroys us?. We will take a beating in the media but we will win the same amount of games that we would have otherwise.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 01:12 PM

Actually, he?d be 0-5. They don?t vacate losses unfortunately.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2019, 01:13 PM

Yep, agree completley. The ncaa should just do away with "vacated wins" crap cause nobody cares about that anyway. The only place it matters it whatever stats nerd at the ncaa keeps up with that crap. Fans, players and coaches only care about what happened on the scoreboard. "vacating wins" unless it involves a national championship is absolutely useless.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 01:14 PM
The difference is that what happened at UNC wasn't just for athletes. The whole student body could take that fake class and many did. That made it an accreditation problem, not an NCAA problem. They nearly lost their accreditation over it.

So you’re saying if this tutor took exams for non-athletes it wouldn’t be an NCAA issue? That’s ludicrous.

Duckdog
08-23-2019, 01:15 PM
THE SKY IS FALLIN THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!! I swear elitedawgs brings out the vag in some of y'all

bostondawg
08-23-2019, 01:15 PM
Fire everyone in the compliance department. Burn it to the ground. Start over.

The job of a compliance department is to make sure this shit doesn't happen in the first place. If all they were paid to do is report problems to the NCAA, hell I could write a computer program that reads EliteDawgs, summarizes the rumors, and sends an email to the NCAA. You could hire me part time for 20 bucks a week and I could apparently do that job. If your program is on probation yet everyone thinks your compliance department is doing a good job--that must be the easiest job on the planet with the absolute lowest expectations.

/rant. Sorry.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Yep, agree completley. The ncaa should just do away with "vacated wins" crap cause nobody cares about that anyway. The only place it matters it whatever stats nerd at the ncaa keeps up with that crap. Fans, players and coaches only care about what happened on the scoreboard. "vacating wins" unless it involves a national championship is absolutely useless.

The semantics and perception are what kill you. This shit will be on the news and even though it’s not as bad as a Missouri we will now be compared to them. Like it or not this is a big deal and it hurts our university in a number of ways besides the “penalties.”

gravedigger
08-23-2019, 01:19 PM

Einstein,

Our compliance found it, reported it, and proposed the penalties. They did it because they are paid to do that by the president so that the NCAA didnt have to come in and do it. Your problem is with Keenum. Anyone who is a manager, director, supervisor of any kind knows what happened should have happened. What other schools got for this or that isnt relevant.

Your comments indicate you dont even have the most basic understanding how all this worked.

Do yourself a favor. Get another email address. Every time you decide to melt, email yourself with it. Wait 10 days and see if you should have put it on a public message board.

You arent fighting stupidity and ignorance. You epitomize it.

KOdawg1
08-23-2019, 01:19 PM
Put it this way.

Your brother is caught stealing money from mom's purse after a month of her wondering where $5 went every day. They give him a stern talking to about the importance of not stealing and then leave him be.

You are then caught pocketing $5 change for yourself after going to the store and buying milk. You're given a whipping and grounded for a week.

Seem fair? Cause that's the equivalent of UNC and MSU with NCAA being the parents in that situation.

Forget UNC. Forget Mizzou too since it's on the other extreme. Just focus on what our players allegedly did and what the punishments are. I think they're lucky to still be in school. I think the length of the suspensions might be a little too much, but other than that, what else hurts? Vacated wins? Who gives a shit? Loss of 2 schollys? Okay, still no one cares.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2019, 01:21 PM
The semantics and perception are what kill you. This shit will be on the news and even though it’s not as bad as a Missouri we will now be compared to them. Like it or not this is a big deal and it hurts our university in a number of ways besides the “penalties.”

I agree to a certain point. In this instant gratification society though this will be old news by next week. People are always looking for the next big story.

Coach007
I'm pissed at the length of probation, but outside of that, I felt it was not 2 bad

TrapGame
Yes, it could be worse. But, this is a little harsh compared to other schools. That's just my take. Looking at the players possibly involved, however, may have dodged a bullet.

drunkernhelldawg
08-23-2019, 01:22 PM

It does matter because it skews the athletic history of the school, which a lot of fans are interested in. Put it this way: every time we play a game, the all time record between the teams is part of the story.

Jack Lambert
08-23-2019, 01:22 PM
I'm actually a little uncomfortable that they weren't suspended from school. It's such an obvious double standard that it has to be a negative to our academic credibility.

I imagine that is up to the school.

msbulldog
08-23-2019, 01:29 PM
Are you freakin' kidding me? I can't believe that to be accurate. The tutor that did this turned us in and then didn't cooperate in the investigation? That doesn't seem right even if she was an OM fan, which I can absolutely believe.

They traced the IP address of the computer that turned the assignments in back to her. She didn't turn any one in, she got caught.

msbulldog
08-23-2019, 01:34 PM
But weren't OM associated folks involved in setting up the ACT test takers? That's the point. The fact the players didn't turn out to be worth keeping is sort of secondary.

David Saunders, former OM coach under Ogre, got caught doing the same thing at ULL and that's what led the NCAA to look at OM.

msbulldog
08-23-2019, 01:35 PM
Damn we stay on probation. One of the most probation ridden schools in history. That is a fact.

Yea thank The Good Lord the previous one had expired.

drunkernhelldawg
08-23-2019, 01:36 PM
I imagine that is up to the school.

I'm a little afraid that we haven't heard the end of it because of the obvious double standard.

Generally, you get suspended or expelled if you get caught cheating in this way (paying somebody to take the class for you). That is necessary to the integrity of the institution.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 01:37 PM
So you?re saying if this tutor took exams for non-athletes it wouldn?t be an NCAA issue? That?s ludicrous.

Go read the unc defense and case. The fake class was available to all. Therefore it wasn't just a a benefit to athletes. It was a great defense. You might not like it. Doesn't really matter.

Lord McBuckethead
08-23-2019, 01:54 PM

It would save me money going to the Birmingham Bowl.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 01:55 PM
It would save me money going to the Birmingham Bowl.

Haha. While probably true. A bowl ban is very costly to a university. Ask the rebels.

gravedigger
08-23-2019, 01:58 PM
Fire everyone in the compliance department. Burn it to the ground. Start over.

The job of a compliance department is to make sure this shit doesn't happen in the first place. If all they were paid to do is report problems to the NCAA, hell I could write a computer program that reads EliteDawgs, summarizes the rumors, and sends an email to the NCAA. You could hire me part time for 20 bucks a week and I could apparently do that job. If your program is on probation yet everyone thinks your compliance department is doing a good job--that must be the easiest job on the planet with the absolute lowest expectations.

/rant. Sorry.

Are you on drugs? The job of the compliance department is not to pre police people who cheat. It is to educate and report. What people choose to do in spite of that is what they must report. They did. You seem to have some idea that either they are supposed to cover this stuff up, pretend it doesnt happen or have some magic 8 ball that tells them it is about to happen.

This is what it looks like when people of integrity actually do their jobs.

Liverpooldawg
08-23-2019, 02:07 PM
So you?re saying if this tutor took exams for non-athletes it wouldn?t be an NCAA issue? That?s ludicrous.

That's what the NCAA said in the UNC case. It would still be a violation of University policy though and therefor it could still become a NCAA issue if we didn't follow our policies. UNC WAS following theirs, so no issue to the NCAA. Accreditation matters are WAY more serious than NCAA trouble. That's why UNC quit what they were doing.

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 02:10 PM
Go read the unc defense and case. The fake class was available to all. Therefore it wasn't just a a benefit to athletes. It was a great defense. You might not like it. Doesn't really matter.

So you’re saying UNC out lawyered the NCAA? We could have done the same if we actually had a lawyer as the head of our compliance department like I don’t know 99% of schools do these days.

Saltydog
08-23-2019, 02:13 PM
North Carolina disagrees.......They had enough academic fraud to shut the place down and what did the NCAA do? NOTHING!

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 02:15 PM
North Carolina disagrees.......They had enough academic fraud to shut the place down and what did the NCAA do? NOTHING!

They outlawyered the NCAA.

Bothrops
08-23-2019, 02:15 PM
How are we going to keep our nose clean for 3 years in all sports. Is that even possible under the circumstances..

deadheaddawg
08-23-2019, 02:26 PM
CBS lists this as the penalties. No suspensions mentioned.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-puts-mississippi-state-on-probation-after-academic-misconduct-by-10-football-players-and-a-basketball-player/

The full list of penalties are as follows:
A fine of $5,000, plus 1% each of the football and men's basketball budgets.
A reduction of two football scholarships during each of the 2020-21 and 2021-22 academic years.
A reduction of one men's basketball scholarship during the 2020-21 academic year.
A reduction of four football official visits from the program's four-year average of 40 visits during the 2019-20 academic year.
A reduction of two men's basketball official visits from the program's four-year average of 10 visits during the 2019-20 and 2020-21 rolling two-year period.
A prohibition of football unofficial visits during one home contest for the 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 academic years.
A prohibition of men's basketball unofficial visits during two home contests for the 2019-20 and 2020-21 academic years.
A reduction of football evaluation days by two in the fall 2019 and 10 in spring 2020.
A reduction of men's basketball recruiting-person days by six in the spring of 2020.
Three years of probation.
A vacation of records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 45 days of the public decision release.
A disassociation of the former tutor.
All involved student-athletes must conduct one rules education session on the consequences of academic misconduct.
Participation in the National Association of Academic and Student-Athlete Development Professionals program review and Academic Integrity Assessment process.
A 10-year show-cause order for the former tutor. During that period, any NCAA member school employing her must restrict her from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply

deadheaddawg
08-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Espn's article says "no suspensions announced", but does this mean we dont have to announce the suspensions until game day?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27447524/ncaa-places-miss-state-3-years-probation

No suspensions have been announced and, according to school policy, the names of players held out due to injury or other matters aren't disclosed until game day

chef dixon
08-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Post season bans are killers, not necessarily bowl bans. No one really cares about a bowl game in itself, but if you are out of the running for playing for championships from game 1 it sucks and recruits do not want to be a part of that. It is like playing in 12 straight music city bowls, essentially playing for nothing.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 02:31 PM
They outlawyered the NCAA.

If you Think for one ☝️ minute our compliance department didn't turn the university upside down trying to find a non athlete that the tutor helped to try to take advantage of the unc argument, you are nuts. Even lawyers are stuck w the facts.

TrapGame
CBS lists this as the penalties. No suspensions mentioned.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-puts-mississippi-state-on-probation-after-academic-misconduct-by-10-football-players-and-a-basketball-player/

The full list of penalties are as follows:
A fine of $5,000, plus 1% each of the football and men's basketball budgets.
A reduction of two football scholarships during each of the 2020-21 and 2021-22 academic years.
A reduction of one men's basketball scholarship during the 2020-21 academic year.
A reduction of four football official visits from the program's four-year average of 40 visits during the 2019-20 academic year.
A reduction of two men's basketball official visits from the program's four-year average of 10 visits during the 2019-20 and 2020-21 rolling two-year period.
A prohibition of football unofficial visits during one home contest for the 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 academic years.
A prohibition of men's basketball unofficial visits during two home contests for the 2019-20 and 2020-21 academic years.
A reduction of football evaluation days by two in the fall 2019 and 10 in spring 2020.
A reduction of men's basketball recruiting-person days by six in the spring of 2020.
Three years of probation.
A vacation of records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 45 days of the public decision release.
A disassociation of the former tutor.
All involved student-athletes must conduct one rules education session on the consequences of academic misconduct.
Participation in the National Association of Academic and Student-Athlete Development Professionals program review and Academic Integrity Assessment process.
A 10-year show-cause order for the former tutor. During that period, any NCAA member school employing her must restrict her from any athletically related duties unless it shows cause why the restrictions should not apply

I just think a couple of those are a little too much for a rogue tutor and 10 athletes.

BB30
Eh we are an academic institution first and foremost. Those stating that we should fight it and sweep this stuff under the rug are out of touch with what college is supposed to be. I am a huge state fan and want to see our athletics program succeed as much as anyone.

That being said, what life lesson would you be teaching the guilty parties if there wasn't some form of punishment involved. You can't let people skate for this type of behavior. If your going to be pissed at anyone it shouldn't be the administration and compliance it should be the athletes. At the end of the day they are responsible for their own actions and that what they did was just due to pure laziness and not wanting to do the necessary work.

Some of those kids were freshmen. If you can't handle first year college courses and your football workload you shouldn't be in college. At the very least if your going to cheat just do it the old fashioned way so you only jeopardize yourself and not your teammates and University.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 02:36 PM

This is what I don't get.

How are other schools able to ALWAYS weasel out of penalties, while we seemingly ALWAYS get the maximum. While I understand that our penalties may be justified, I just don't understand how we always get the maximum penalty & others don't

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Eh we are an academic institution first and foremost. Those stating that we should fight it and sweep this stuff under the rug are out of touch with what college is supposed to be. I am a huge state fan and want to see our athletics program succeed as much as anyone.

That being said, what life lesson would you be teaching the guilty parties if there wasn't some form of punishment involved. You can't let people skate for this type of behavior. If your going to be pissed at anyone it shouldn't be the administration and compliance it should be the athletes. At the end of the day they are responsible for their own actions and that what they did was just due to pure laziness and not wanting to do the necessary work.

Some of those kids were freshmen. If you can't handle first year college courses and your football workload you shouldn't be in college. At the very least if your going to cheat just do it the old fashioned way so you only jeopardize yourself and not your teammates and University.

But why are other schools able to consistently far less than he maximum penalty. What secret do they know that we don't?

BB30
08-23-2019, 02:52 PM
But why are other schools able to consistently far less than he maximum penalty. What secret do they know that we don't?

Simple, UNC makes more money in basketball and thus is more valuable than we are to the NCAA. Sometimes life isn't fair. Some people/institutions get dealt a better hand than others and you just have to work harder to succeed.

I do also think there is some validity to the fact that the issue UNC had was university wide and not just relegated to the Athletic programs. I don't believe it had a whole lot to do with our compliance dept being inept.

I had a buddy that worked in the Athletic dept as a GA and he said Bracky actually kept us out of a lot more trouble than most know.

I mean its been stated previously in this thread but what these kids did wasn't a small matter. Its not like they forgot about a quiz they had and looked at someone else's paper. Not saying that that would be any better. But these kids and this tutor significantly cheated to the point that it could have been the difference in passing and failing the class/classes.

We are just lucky it only involved a relatively small group of players. This could have involved a lot more players. Thankfully it didn't.

MrKotter
08-23-2019, 03:08 PM
If you Think for one ☝️ minute our compliance department didn't turn the university upside down trying to find a non athlete that the tutor helped to try to take advantage of the unc argument, you are nuts. Even lawyers are stuck w the facts.
You are going all in defending our compliance idiot who?s educational background is 17ing PE while continuing to ignore the true facts. Every time that fool gets his hands on anything we end up screwed. Spare me the ?you don?t know the whole story ? BS. The moron running our compliance dept. is incompetent. Our student athletes receive far greater punishment compared to like schools and there is one person behind every damn bit of it. A shithead with a PE background. Name one other school whose head of compliance has a degree in 17ing physical education. Until there is an overhaul in the compliance department we will continue to screw ourselves. The compliance dept should have been gutted after the BS with Will Redmond but of course it wasn?t. Reading through this thread, for the most part, all you see is ?it could have been worse?. That?s pure BS. It shouldn?t have been this bad. It would not have been this bad at any other power 5. We are our own problem. We welcome and invite the screwing while everybody else defends themselves.

gtowndawg
08-23-2019, 03:10 PM
Great, now I have to change my profile picture!

Jarius
08-23-2019, 03:13 PM

The secret that academic fraud is a bigger deal than paying players. Hell most of the country thinks paying players should be within the rules.

oldjoedawg
08-23-2019, 03:19 PM

You have no idea about this if you think compliance is at fault.....this tutor was under some part of an Academic Dept. Compliance is probably who was notified by an honest student and took control of the situation in order to get ahead of it all. Compliance has become THE major whipping boy of our sports boards....and my name is not Bracky?.LOL

Pollodawg
08-23-2019, 03:25 PM
I hate our fans sometimes. I fail to see how this ?crippling.?

Where are the showcases? Where are the post-season bans? Outside of autry, who did we lose?

And, just FYI, our admins handled this the way adults are supposed to handle situations like this...

I_Spy
08-23-2019, 03:26 PM
I just want everyone to know that I said because OM wanted Moorhead i knew that was bad luck. Les miles probably would have won us more games with our inadequacies. And I also knew Clemson would beat Bama Chicago bear style McMahon and Payton just a different Payton. F*ck y'all

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 03:31 PM
You are going all in defending our compliance idiot who?s educational background is 17ing PE while continuing to ignore the true facts. Every time that fool gets his hands on anything we end up screwed. Spare me the ?you don?t know the whole story ? BS. The moron running our compliance dept. is incompetent. Our student athletes receive far greater punishment compared to like schools and there is one person behind every damn bit of it. A shithead with a PE background. Name one other school whose head of compliance has a degree in 17ing physical education. Until there is an overhaul in the compliance department we will continue to screw ourselves. The compliance dept should have been gutted after the BS with Will Redmond but of course it wasn?t. Reading through this thread, for the most part, all you see is ?it could have been worse?. That?s pure BS. It shouldn?t have been this bad. It would not have been this bad at any other power 5. We are our own problem. We welcome and invite the screwing while everybody else defends themselves.

You think Brackey does everything. And we have no lawyers etc. get grip dude. And FYI Redmond wouldn't have gotten so much if he hadn't of lied to the ncaa. You and others are clueless. Completely. I'm not saying our compliance is perfect. However, if you knew the entire story, in this case and many others, they do way more good than harm.

bobtail bob
08-23-2019, 03:34 PM
Meanwhile down on the bayou they fund their players money through a cancer hospital and their basketball coach brags on tape about offering players money yet nothing has happened to them.
Our administration talks about winning but they really don't want to . They just like to stand there with their hands out at the end of the year for the conference money while we the alumni and fans continue to eat shit from these other schools. I'm about read to wash my hands of them. Stand up for us and quit pussing out. Burn it all down if that's what it takes

gravedigger
08-23-2019, 03:44 PM

"I cant figure out why cops dont pull people over before they actually speed"

"Nothing says integrity like having a standard of ethics, applying it, and then scrapping it because everyone else did"

"The best thing an institution of higher learning can do for it's students is when they are in violation of academic ethics, hire an attorney to hide it and not punish them. To hold them to the ethical standard when other schools dont do the right thing, is screwing the student"

I think I see where you are coming from.....

I_Spy
08-23-2019, 03:45 PM
I don't care about the straight and narrow but inexperience would always get caught. We get the best other than football I guess. Bring on Sam Ricketts. Vic Schaeffer national champs. We've got Penn State and what Rochester university oh I mean Fordham

I_Spy
08-23-2019, 03:45 PM
I've seen sam keilani and Vic win nationals

I_Spy
08-23-2019, 03:46 PM
But yet I'm stupid if I say Les

I_Spy
08-23-2019, 03:47 PM
Did Clemson beat Bama? Did the defense do like refrigerator Perry? Who knows who knows who knows

drunkernhelldawg
08-23-2019, 03:48 PM
Meanwhile down on the bayou they fund their players money through a cancer hospital and their basketball coach brags on tape about offering players money yet nothing has happened to them.
Our administration talks about winning but they really don't want to . They just like to stand there with their hands out at the end of the year for the conference money while we the alumni and fans continue to eat shit from these other schools. I'm about read to wash my hands of them. Stand up for us and quit pussing out. Burn it all down if that's what it takes

i think the culture in the athletic department is the best it's ever been. I did feel in the past that there was way too much me-ism (and even entitlement) in the department. I say we're going in the right direction.

Lord McBuckethead
08-23-2019, 03:55 PM
I say keep Bracky, but have a lawyer in the drivers seat.

the59dawg
08-23-2019, 04:03 PM
xxx

ejdallas322
08-23-2019, 04:17 PM
What exactly does probation mean? No postseason like NCAA tournament and bowls?

chef dixon
08-23-2019, 04:18 PM
What exactly does probation mean? No postseason like NCAA tournament and bowls?

nah basically just don't screw up again or it will be 10x as bad

Todd4State
08-23-2019, 04:32 PM

This punishment does seem excessive compared to what we did how we allegedly "exemplary complied" and what other schools have done.

To me, patting Bracky on the back over this is like being happy that you bought a car at full price when the odds are you could have gotten the car for a couple thousand dollars less if you haggled.

You shouldn't get three years of probation, losses of visits, losses of scholarships, and vacate games among other things for helping the NCAA out. But hey! No bowl ban! Maroon! White!

Todd4State
08-23-2019, 04:34 PM

Put him in charge of women's sports or something. Then let a lawyer handle football at the very least.

I'm also concerned about how we have trouble getting transfers eligible at times as well- which also falls on compliance as a department.

MSU should at the very least probably look at the department and compare it to some other compliance departments (NOT Ole Miss for anyone that thinks I'm going there)

Cooterpoot
08-23-2019, 04:37 PM
You think Brackey does everything. And we have no lawyers etc. get grip dude. And FYI Redmond wouldn't have gotten so much if he hadn't of lied to the ncaa. You and others are clueless. Completely. I'm not saying our compliance is perfect. However, if you knew the entire story, in this case and many others, they do way more good than harm.

Our compliance is a joke. We go from one probation to another and can?t even oversee our tutoring and online testing. Hell, OM gets off lighter by lying and fighting. We roll over and take it.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 04:37 PM
This punishment does seem excessive compared to what we did how we allegedly "exemplary complied" and what other schools have done.

To me, patting Bracky on the back over this is like being happy that you bought a car at full price when the odds are you could have gotten the car for a couple thousand dollars less if you haggled.

You shouldn't get three years of probation, losses of visits, losses of scholarships, and vacate games among other things for helping the NCAA out. But hey! No bowl ban! Maroon! White!

I agree. The only positive thing here is that they kept the NCAA off campus.

While I agree that if we would've haggled, we possibly could've gotten a better deal, but the downside of haggling is that it takes time & the NCAA starts leaking to the media that you are under investigation.

Thus, it's my opinion that haggling is only worth it if the penalties COULD be really bad if found guilty. In this case, the penalties weren't worth the dark cloud over the program.

In comparison to LSU, LSU can afford a dark cloud as it does not seem to effect their recruiting, but I don't think we can. We know if the NCAA was on campus dragging this thing out, they either would find more or knock our recruiting back to the stone age due to the dark could & uncertainty. While this penalty certainly hurts, it may have been worth it in the grand scheme of things.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 04:39 PM

I agree, but I'm not sure our penalties in this situation where worth going after the NCAA with a lawyer. At the end of the day, there is no post season ban & the lost players will only cost us 0-1 games.

It simply wasn't worth playing hard ball here due to the consequences that hard ball brings with it. NCAA investigation, name drug through media, & a recruiting cloud

Ole Miss played hard ball & where did it get them? Yes, the actual penalties weren't bad, but look at their team & roster. They will be lucky to win 5 games this year. In their case it may have saved them the Death Penalty, so yes Hardball was in their best interest, but hardball doesn't come consequence free

Todd4State
08-23-2019, 04:43 PM
I agree. The only positive thing here is that they kept the NCAA off campus.

While I agree that if we would've haggled, we possibly could've gotten a better deal, but the downside of haggling is that it takes time & the NCAA starts leaking to the media that you are under investigation.

Thus, it's my opinion that haggling is only worth it if the penalties COULD be really bad if found guilty. In this case, the penalties weren't worth the dark cloud over the program.

In comparison to LSU, LSU can afford a dark cloud as it does not seem to effect their recruiting, but I don't think we can. We know if the NCAA was on campus dragging this thing out, they either would find more or knock our recruiting back to the stone age due to the dark could & uncertainty. While this penalty certainly hurts, it may have been worth it in the grand scheme of things.

I see what you are saying but I think we could have accomplished the same things by offering up a lot less.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 04:45 PM
I see what you are saying but I think we could have accomplished the same things by offering up a lot less.

Maybe, maybe not. We simply don't know.

I'm just saying being defensive here wasn't worth it. We took a kick in the nuts, but it's over. No more.

If we would've fought it, we may have gotten off, but you better bet it would've been leaked & the NCAA would've drug it out.

Wasn't worth it. If we get caught buying players, then it is worth it.

Todd4State
08-23-2019, 04:57 PM
Maybe, maybe not. We simply don't know.

I'm just saying being defensive here wasn't worth it. We took a kick in the nuts, but it's over. No more.

If we would've fought it, we may have gotten off, but you better bet it would've been leaked & the NCAA would've drug it out.

Wasn't worth it. If we get caught buying players, then it is worth it.

You're correct in that we don't know. But I'm going off of the Ole Miss investigation and how they handled it and the results of that.

And I'm not saying that we should have given the NCAA the middle finger or anything like that either. Just maybe that we should be a little less "exemplary". To me, just suspend the players 8 games, fire and disassociate the tutor and that should have been sufficient to fit what happened IMO.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 05:01 PM
You're correct in that we don't know. But I'm going off of the Ole Miss investigation and how they handled it and the results of that.

And I'm not saying that we should have given the NCAA the middle finger or anything like that either. Just maybe that we should be a little less "exemplary". To me, just suspend the players 8 games, fire and disassociate the tutor and that should have been sufficient to fit what happened IMO.

The results of the Ole Miss investigation is that Ole Miss will win 4 games this year & average about 30K fans.

Regardless of on paper how they got there, that is the result.

With these NCAA investigations, you have to do a before investigation & after penalties evaluation of the status of the program to actually see the effect. Too many just look at the penalties & assume that's it.

No, the real punishment is the black cloud that destroys your recruiting & the transfers that happen due to postseason bans

Todd4State
08-23-2019, 05:02 PM
The results of the Ole Miss investigation is that Ole Miss will win 4 games this year & average about 30K fans.

Regardless of on paper how they got there, that is the result.

True. But they should have gotten more for what they did and how they handled the whole thing.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 05:04 PM
True. But they should have gotten more for what they did and how they handled the whole thing.

They should have I agree, but lets not act like they weren't severely punished. Much much more than us

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 05:07 PM

Why not catch this shit before it got this out of hand? Why wait and then have to clean up the mess afterwards? OM couldn’t have done this because they use proctors for their online exams thus the female tutor couldn’t take online exams for male athletes. We are so in the stone age when it comes to taking online exams. Forcing athletes to only take online classes that have proctors would do wonders for this temptation to cheat. This class they took had a reputation for being an easy grade and on top of that the idiots cheated during it. Just dumb shit all the way around.

ShotgunDawg
08-23-2019, 05:11 PM
Why not catch this shit before it got this out of hand? Why wait and then have to clean up the mess afterwards? OM couldn’t have done this because they use proctors for their online exams thus the female tutor couldn’t take online exams for male athletes. We are so in the stone age when it comes to taking online exams. Forcing athletes to only take online classes that have proctors would do wonders for this temptation to cheat. This class they took had a reputation for being an easy grade and on top of that the idiots cheated during it. Just dumb shit all the way around.

Agree with all of this

yjnkdawg
08-23-2019, 05:24 PM

Our Tudorgate is over now other than the serving of the suspensions and other sanctions. No NCAA investigators on campus or NCAA interviewing anybody. Do we actually want to challenge or whatever and prolong this thing, and then more than likely get worse than we did? One other thing, that Birmingham law firm that OM hired, was the best that you can get for dealing with NCAA violations, sanctions, etc.

DancingRabbit
08-23-2019, 05:28 PM

Well, our sanctions are considerably less than what Missouri got. The cases are very similar, except it looks like their staff "might" have been doing something shady, and it "looks" like our staff was squeaky clean.

I'm glad we looked squeaky clean. Should have been prevented or caught sooner, but it looks like we handled it pretty well afterwards.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/former-missouri-tutor-completed-coursework-12-student-athletes

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25999511/missouri-appeals-ncaa-sanctions-calling-penalties-overly-harsh

TALL DAWG
08-23-2019, 05:35 PM
Agree with all of this

I am late to party here and someone may have already mentioned it but...
why do we have a PART TIME tutor instead of FULL TIME one??
Surely other schools have a full time person for this important roll?
And, I know we have the $ to pay a full time tutor...

MarketingBully
08-23-2019, 05:40 PM
I am late to party here and someone may have already mentioned it but...
why do we have a PART TIME tutor instead of FULL TIME one??
Surely other schools have a full time person for this important roll?
And, I know we have the $ to pay a full time tutor...

Hell if said part time tutor was just a student the NCAA wouldn’t even of been involved.

Pollodawg
08-23-2019, 05:45 PM
I just don’t see where this is “crippling.”

Pollodawg
08-23-2019, 05:47 PM
What’s really funny is how mad Ole Miss is that we “skated.” It’s what competence and being an adult looks like.

Turfdawg67
08-23-2019, 06:17 PM
Don't know what happened to my comments, but here goes again... albeit much less.

This is a classic case study in how NOT to handle crap with the NCAA. Counterpoint... see Ole Miss.

MrKotter
08-23-2019, 06:19 PM

We?re not the clueless ones here. It is the same shit every time. ?You do not know the whole story? yet we get a hell of a lot more for a lot less. It?s the apologist like you that keep us behind the curve. Every damn time we offer up the maximum to keep the ncaa away while everyone else tells them to kiss their ass. The ncaa only has power if you let them. I know you and dickless bracky do not understand that. You don?t go to court without a lawyer and you don?t deal with the ncaa with a 17ing PE teacher. HD, I?m sorry but you do not get it at all. You do not have to bend over when someone tells you to.

Goldendawg
08-23-2019, 06:25 PM
Did we not have any oversight in the "student" side of our student-athletes' academic lives in a multi-million $ athletic dept? Have not read the report, but seems that as Judas Priest sings, "Some Heads are Gonna Roll", might be overdue and in order. This is very embarrassing.

LC Dawg
08-23-2019, 06:53 PM
We received no postseason ban and the players weren't expelled so I would say we should consider this as good as it could be.
As an alumnus who just spent a lot of money for two kids to go to MSU I'm kind of pissed the players didn't get expelled. Apparently the tutor took the entire class for one player. I'll bet a regular student would be gone if they did that.

TALL DAWG
08-23-2019, 07:02 PM
Hell if said part time tutor was just a student the NCAA wouldn?t even of been involved.

Good point.

In that case....why did we even have a part time tutor...lol!!

Goldendawg
08-23-2019, 07:20 PM

Check it out. Every time in my life that we have gotten pretty good, we get probation, Tyler, Jackie, Mullen, and now Jo. We are supposed to know our place, but the others didn't embarrass me as a State Grad and lifelong fan. This one does.

Goldendawg
08-23-2019, 07:23 PM
That sounds believable. Yep, clean slate for Moorhead! Although, I guess we get to keep the losses. Too bad we can't vacate those.

How is it a clean slate? If we had to vacate 8 wins, aren't we 0-13 for 2018 on paper in the eyes of the NCAA?

gravedigger
08-23-2019, 08:50 PM
We?re not the clueless ones here. It is the same shit every time. ?You do not know the whole story? yet we get a hell of a lot more for a lot less. It?s the apologist like you that keep us behind the curve. Every damn time we offer up the maximum to keep the ncaa away while everyone else tells them to kiss their ass. The ncaa only has power if you let them. I know you and dickless bracky do not understand that. You don?t go to court without a lawyer and you don?t deal with the ncaa with a 17ing PE teacher. HD, I?m sorry but you do not get it at all. You do not have to bend over when someone tells you to.

You do when your boss tells you that?s what you are going to do. Or you leave. Simple as that. This wasn?t some thing we offered hoping for a positive outcome. I?m not sure you understand who the man is running this University but he made it clear during the events surrounding the Redmond deal that coaches and compliance would operate as they were told or be gone. That is what has happened.

Also, I can assure you that homedawg is exactly right about this. Any simple minded idiot can blame the compliance department. And they have lawyers. Grow up and quit acting like a child talking about Brackey the boogie man. We recruited kids who cheated and got caught. This is what is supposed to happen. You want to be Ole Miss then go root for them. You sound like one of them anyway.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 10:58 PM

You've been added to the clueless, but I have a keyboard group too.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2019, 11:20 PM
How is it a clean slate? If we had to vacate 8 wins, aren't we 0-13 for 2018 on paper in the eyes of the NCAA?

They're not forfeits it's like the games we won never happened. We don't get a win or a loss and neither does the opponent. Officially we would be 0-5 for last year. Only the losses count on the final record.

1bigdawg
08-24-2019, 11:48 AM

The punishments may be justified, but they are certainly brutal. The punishment may fit the crime, but they are disproportionate compred to other schools penalties. Missouri got worse because they were on probation. As far as proportion, the three years is a bit much as well as the scholly reductions.

Todd4State
08-24-2019, 04:55 PM
The punishments may be justified, but they are certainly brutal. The punishment may fit the crime, but they are disproportionate compred to other schools penalties. Missouri got worse because they were on probation. As far as proportion, the three years is a bit much as well as the scholly reductions.

I agree. And you can make an argument that 8 games is way too long as well.

msstate7
08-24-2019, 04:57 PM
I agree. And you can make an argument that 8 games is way too long as well.

You could make an argument all 10 should be kicked out of school. If I did that as a student, I'd be gone

Todd4State
08-24-2019, 05:13 PM
You could make an argument all 10 should be kicked out of school. If I did that as a student, I'd be gone

Technically if that happened they would have been given the right to appeal and probably would have gotten back in.

Homedawg
08-24-2019, 06:45 PM
Technically if that happened they would have been given the right to appeal and probably would have gotten back in.

Actually, I think this is correct, I'm pretty sure it's two strikes to get punted for this. So athlete or student is the same. One would hope that's correct as well

maroonmania
08-25-2019, 01:42 PM
We received no postseason ban and the players weren't expelled so I would say we should consider this as good as it could be.
As an alumnus who just spent a lot of money for two kids to go to MSU I'm kind of pissed the players didn't get expelled. Apparently the tutor took the entire class for one player. I'll bet a regular student would be gone if they did that.

Not to beat the dead horse, but I'm sorry, I put 90% of the responsibility of this on the university administration and our athletic department. You put 18-22 year old immature football/basketball student athletes, many of whom don't like having to do actual schoolwork anyway, into ONLINE classes and pair them with immature 18-22 year old tutors and nobody saw this as a problem waiting to happen? If this was an issue of where if a student athlete was not doing 100% of his own work that NCAA probation could actually result (given we were willing to put compliance on this and turn ourselves in) then one of two things absolutely had to happen BEFORE HAND. EITHER student athletes should never have been allowed into online classes OR online exams should have had a monitor to ensure that the actual person was the one taking the exam. I'm not sure how else this inevitable problem could have been averted. I'm thoroughly convinced some level of this type activity is going on at 100% of colleges that allow online courses its just only in VERY rare instances would it ever be reported or investigated. I can assure you the OM compliance department would have done whatever necessary to sweep this under the rug. Seriously, what would happen if a professor in a classroom had each of the students in their class stop by and pick up their exams and then just told them to turn the exam back in a week later? Does any reasonable person believe there wouldn't be some students getting outside help or outright getting answers from someone or possibly even offering a smart student something to fill out their answers for them? How did grown adults that work in education not see this as a problem waiting to happen as soon as you potentially mix a few students with maybe not the highest of ethics with a tutor with potentially not the highest of ethics?

Duckdog
08-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Not to beat the dead horse, but I'm sorry, I put 90% of the responsibility of this on the university administration and our athletic department. You put 18-22 year old immature football/basketball student athletes, many of whom don't like having to do actual schoolwork anyway, into ONLINE classes and pair them with immature 18-22 year old tutors and nobody saw this as a problem waiting to happen? If this was an issue of where if a student athlete was not doing 100% of his own work that NCAA probation could actually result (given we were willing to put compliance on this and turn ourselves in) then one of two things absolutely had to happen BEFORE HAND. EITHER student athletes should never have been allowed into online classes OR online exams should have had a monitor to ensure that the actual person was the one taking the exam. I'm not sure how else this inevitable problem could have been averted. I'm thoroughly convinced some level of this type activity is going on at 100% of colleges that allow online courses its just only in VERY rare instances would it ever be reported or investigated. I can assure you the OM compliance department would have done whatever necessary to sweep this under the rug. Seriously, what would happen if a professor in a classroom had each of the students in their class stop by and pick up their exams and then just told them to turn the exam back in a week later? Does any reasonable person believe there wouldn't be some students getting outside help or outright getting answers from someone or possibly even offering a smart student something to fill out their answers for them? How did grown adults that work in education not see this as a problem waiting to happen as soon as you potentially mix a few students with maybe not the highest of ethics with a tutor with potentially not the highest of ethics?
90% of the blame NOT ON THE PEOPLE CHEATING??????? This is what the world has come to

Maroonthirteen
08-26-2019, 09:20 AM
90% of the blame NOT ON THE PEOPLE CHEATING??????? This is what the world has come to

No kidding. I have a buddy that has a kid that plays D1. He says every school has tudors that leads the athletes around by the hand. Our problem is.... a few athletes took advantage and took things to far. Not the school... the individuals.

maroonmania
08-26-2019, 10:08 AM

Absolutely 100%. The school is going to put itself at risk based on 18-21 year olds being totally on the honor system? These guys are barely out of HS and to be honest, without sports, a lot of these athletes would not even want to be in college. What gets me is that many here want to put the total blame on kids trying to take the easy way out on a class, however, when a booster offers a kid extra benefits against NCAA rules and the kid accepts, ALL the blame seems to be put on the booster and none on the athlete for accepting the benefit against NCAA rules because he is apparently not expected to be mature enough, or high character enough to refuse the offer. All I'm saying is that anyone who knows anything about 18-21 year olds should have known this was a problem waiting to happen if these 'online' classes were completely unmonitored.