PDA

View Full Version : Crazy thoughts - just trying to make it to season start

NWADAWG
08-22-2019, 08:58 AM
As I've been reading posts about Fitz and Peters and how players fit certain positions or schemes. Along the train of thought I ran into the idea, "Montez Sweat was obviously a stud athlete but had been asked to play safety, he would've struggled too". The more I thought of it, I began to think this might be a lot of fun to watch. I know an athlete like him is too valuable on the line but man it would be fun to have that kind of size, that is actually as fast as about any other safety, bringing fear to receivers. Also, there would be no such thing as a 50/50 ball with him. It would be thrown where he couldn't get too it or it would be his.

Crazy thought I know but just trying to fill the time as I impatiently wait for season to start.

Tbonewannabe
08-22-2019, 09:06 AM
It would boil down to how well he can change directions when covering someone. Straight speed is important but almost as important is how well they can cut. Richard Sherman ran almost a 4.6 and he was one of the top DBs in the league for a while.

I remember Michael Gholar playing his senior year after basketball and I think he was a safety but mostly on special teams for blocking fgs.

Jack Lambert
08-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Playing DE you know where you are going. It is up to the blockers to figure you out. Playing DB you are trying to figure out where the WR is going. Different animal.

Lord McBuckethead
08-22-2019, 10:32 AM
Yeah and without quick change of direction any WR other than our 2018 guys would do a head fake and get about 15 yards separation. Also Sweat as an enforcer in the middle is 1990s football. Just think of Nickoe. Dude could have been ejected from every game he suited up for.