PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood

BeardoMSU
08-21-2019, 11:17 PM
Finally got around to seeing it. I liked it a lot. I found it somehow both typical and atypical Tarantino. The characters are really compelling, especially Cliff. Watching the movie I kept thinking he was like James Caan in Thief: cool. Not that those characters or movies are similar, but for some reason that popped in my head.

I actually liked how they handled Tate's role in the film. I know some have complained about how little she's in the movie, but I felt her story was almost like a dream you went off to, when separated from Rick and Cliff. It was definitely interesting.

There were two scenes in the film, where Cliff is going into the Spahn house, and the build up to the ending sequence, where it felt almost like a horror movie. The tension there was great. I cared about the main characters in those moments....which brings me to the main flaw I have with the movie.

It does drag along in places...and I'm not the kind of person that dislikes a movie because its long. Far from it. I do think this with this movie, and especially The Hateful Eight, Q was in dire need of an editor that could stand up to him...that's less the case for this movie, but it still could've used some pruning here and there....the opening sequence, for example, felt really slow to start...granted, after getting into the movie and getting to know the characters, thinking back on it, every thing added to the story...but it all definitely had an odd pace to it. There are a bunch of other scenes that seemed to linger on, especially in the second act (driving, movie set after movie set, seeing the same girl 3 times, etc). However, all I said about the excess run-time was likely that extra time that helped me get to know the characters more without even knowing it, so I can't really fault Q for that. Still, I know there are scenes that could've been cut back a bit.

All that being said, I still really liked the movie. Leo and Pitt were phenomenal. Their chemistry was excellent. The movie is totally character driven, rather than story or plot.

I'll need to watch it again before I can accurately rank it in the pantheon of Tarantino films.

Bothrops
08-22-2019, 12:06 AM
Sharon Tate was one of the most beautiful girls that ever came through Hollywood. Maybe the most beautiful.The amount of photographs taken of her from the 1959 Miss Autorama to 1969 confirms that. Haven't seen the movie yet.

Tbonewannabe
08-22-2019, 09:15 AM
I love Tarantino films with Kill Bill being in my personal top 10. He does have times in almost every movie where it just seems slow. I don't know if it is by design or like you said, just needs an editor to push back on him.

ScoobaDawg
09-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Dangit... Still haven't seen this. guess will have to wait for it to head to digital.