PDA

View Full Version : XFL releases team names and logos

Irondawg
08-21-2019, 08:32 PM
And I must say these have all the quality of the knock off video games of the 90's that couldn't acquire the rights to pro leagues

Quaoarsking
08-21-2019, 09:27 PM
They're making a mistake putting teams in cities that already have NFL teams (or want one). This will go over like the AAF and all the other "minor" leagues before them.

BuckyIsAB****
08-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Dude I hope thats fake. That is brutal locations and the names look like cheap knockoffs especially Seattle

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2019, 09:55 PM
The time for another football league is not the Spring. It's from July 1st till Labor Day.

I don't have a craving to watch football in the Spring, but once July 4th comes & goes, my appetite it huge. Just play the season at that time

Irondawg
08-21-2019, 09:57 PM
Dude I hope thats fake. That is brutal locations and the names look like cheap knockoffs especially Seattle

Unfortunately it’s real

BuckyIsAB****
08-21-2019, 10:56 PM
The time for another football league is not the Spring. It's from July 1st till Labor Day.

I don't have a craving to watch football in the Spring, but once July 4th comes & goes, my appetite it huge. Just play the season at that time

I think most baseball people would agree with you. I do too. I just think its so hot during those dog days you may not get much crowd

deltadawg99
08-21-2019, 11:34 PM
Why on earth do people keep giving Hal Mumme a job? I get that Stoops will be the one running the team in Dallas, but Mumme is a joke.

Johnson85
08-22-2019, 08:49 AM
And I must say these have all the quality of the knock off video games of the 90's that couldn't acquire the rights to pro leagues

I don't think that's really avoidable. Practically all team names/mascots/logos are basically stupid. You just get conditioned to them over time.

People bashed the New Orleans Pelicans (which I thought was actually a pretty good name) when it came out. Now I think it seems natural to people.

Irondawg
08-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Not true - there are good logos and bad logos

I still hate the Pelicans name. Better than some of the alternatives out there but my favorite was easily "Krewe"

Lord McBuckethead
08-22-2019, 10:33 AM
Actually surprised none have worked Freeze into a head coaching job at one of these places.

RocketDawg
08-22-2019, 11:42 AM
Actually surprised none have worked Freeze into a head coaching job at one of these places.

He probably is smart enough to know the league won't last so he's better off at a college team. He was going to coach Phoenix (not sure if head coach or assistant) but that league went belly-up after only a few games. This league likely will too.

Johnson85
08-22-2019, 01:23 PM
They're making a mistake putting teams in cities that already have NFL teams (or want one). This will go over like the AAF and all the other "minor" leagues before them.

Probably will go over the same b/c they just have a steep hill to climb to survive, but I'm not sure it's a mistake putting teams in cities that already have NFL teams. One option is to focus on cities that aren't big enough for NFL teams and hope they support what is there. Essentially the minor league baseball model I guess. So Birmingham would be a good target, except you're not only competing with NFL football, you are well behind college football (although obviously in a different season for this particular league).

A second option is to go to huge population centers and hope there is enough of a population that even being the obvious second or third football option, there's still a big enough population that you are going to have a fan base. So from that perspective:
New York and LA makes sense as the 1st and 2nd largest MSAs (although LA probably makes the least sense as they don't even really support their NFL teams),
Dallas and Houston are the 4th and 5th largest MSAs in the US and they are in a football crazy place. They are going to be behind NFL and college, but I could see there being fans there that are priced out of NFL and college and/or just want live football all year round.
DC is 6th (although I think that MSA is much more geographically spread out than others)
Seattle is 15th, Tampa is 18th, and St. Louis is 20th.

So they picked 8 of the top 20 MSAs. Doesn't seem like a terrible strategy to me.