PDA

View Full Version : We just picked up a big time baseball commit

Todd4State
08-21-2019, 08:10 PM
Dylan Carmouche- 6'5" LHP from Baton Rouge. Fastball sits in the low 90's. 2020 commit. Foxhall has done an impressive job with him and Mikey Tepper.

We're also about to land another commit tonight for 2023 tonight too.

Harrydawg
08-21-2019, 08:18 PM
This deal is almost daily now....back to back CWS coupled with the new Dude (and the greatest fan support in college BB) is doing it’s thing....
Reload instead of rebuild......

Todd4State
08-21-2019, 08:21 PM
This deal is almost daily now....back to back CWS coupled with the new Dude (and the greatest fan support in college BB) is doing it’s thing....
Reload instead of rebuild......

Build it and we will reload.

I really like our 2020 class. I'd say it's top five potentially right now.

Todd4State
08-21-2019, 08:32 PM
The second guy just committed- Rives Reynolds a 2023 commit from Jackson Prep. P/OF and we'll see how he develops over the next few years.

Turfdawg67
08-21-2019, 08:38 PM
Sweet!! Thanks for the great info!

KOdawg1
08-21-2019, 08:41 PM
I wish baseball recruits could be ranked like football or basketball recruits so we'd have a good measure of how good they actually are. I mean, MLB draft projections kind of tell you, but not all kids are on the MLB radar or they just tell scouts they're coming to school

Todd4State
08-21-2019, 08:42 PM
Sweet!! Thanks for the great info!

I gotta give credit to my sources.

bobcat91
08-21-2019, 09:56 PM
Ben McDonald on Carmouche.

Not only have I seen him he played for me 2 years during the summer. @HailStateBB got em another good one!

Commercecomet24
08-21-2019, 10:00 PM
I saw Dylan pitch the last 2 years at WWBA, his stuff is nasty. Reminds me of a smaller Randy Johnson. Tons of movement on every pitch he throws. Was committed to ull for awhile. Great pickup.

Homedawg
08-21-2019, 10:10 PM
Dylan Carmouche- 6'5" LHP from Baton Rouge. Fastball sits in the low 90's. 2020 commit. Foxhall has done an impressive job with him and Mikey Tepper.

We're also about to land another commit tonight for 2023 tonight too.

This is the guy I alluded to a week ago. Big get for sure

Homedawg
08-21-2019, 10:12 PM

How is that possible? I mean w the time we've waited on other classes...**
Good recruiting staff! All different types of guys. Legit coaches as well.

Homedawg
08-21-2019, 10:13 PM
The second guy just committed- Rives Reynolds a 2023 commit from Jackson Prep. P/OF and we'll see how he develops over the next few years.

Getting guys from prep has been an issue. At least we have jay powell there in their ear to some degree now. jay isn't going to be pushy, but it won't hurt.

Todd4State
08-21-2019, 11:36 PM
Getting guys from prep has been an issue. At least we have jay powell there in their ear to some degree now. jay isn't going to be pushy, but it won't hurt.

I did not realize that Powell was there now. I did know that he left JA. I feel like getting players from Prep is going to be an uphill battle somewhat just because it's typically a big Ole Miss school.

Of course yes, we will get some Jake Mangum's, Noah Hughes, Whit Hughes, and etc. from time to time.

Lumpy Chucklelips
08-22-2019, 12:18 AM
Hey Todd, I was looking at PG site the other day at commits around the country and noticed that for 2021 we had 12 commits but 0 top 100 players. Likewise Vandy had 12, with 10 top 100. LSU had 11, with 8 top 100. Florida had 14, with 7 top 100. Even Tenn had 4 top 100. Maybe this isn?t updated, but any cause for concern? Sure doesn?t look good looking at those numbers.

msbulldog
08-22-2019, 06:13 AM
Awesome pick-up in Paul Mainieri backyard too.

Madisonmd
08-22-2019, 06:19 AM
I did not realize that Powell was there now. I did know that he left JA. I feel like getting players from Prep is going to be an uphill battle somewhat just because it's typically a big Ole Miss school.

Of course yes, we will get some Jake Mangum's, Noah Hughes, Whit Hughes, and etc. from time to time.

Actually, Prep is about evenly split for kids attending OM or MSU. However, JA leans heavily toward OM.

Buddy
08-22-2019, 06:45 AM
Actually, Prep is about evenly split for kids attending OM or MSU. However, JA leans heavily toward OM.

And MRA leans fairly heavily to MSU.

turkish
08-22-2019, 07:43 AM
How’d he not end up with LSU?

basedog
08-22-2019, 08:14 AM
I wish baseball recruits could be ranked like football or basketball recruits so we'd have a good measure of how good they actually are. I mean, MLB draft projections kind of tell you, but not all kids are on the MLB radar or they just tell scouts they're coming to school

I do know one recruit who will be having a in house visit from MLB officials to get to know him better and find out IF he is sign able. Big decisions.

Duckdog
08-22-2019, 08:29 AM
I helped coach Rives when he was a little kid. He's a freaking beast! He hit bombs in the 6th grade

BB30
08-22-2019, 08:52 AM

Baseball is just a different animal as early as the recruiting process really cranks up for the kids. In my opinion there is a lot more projection involved when your looking at a sophomore that is currently sitting 85-89 and your trying to figure out how much upside the kid has as a freshman/ sophomore.

It could be done but there just isn't enough interest in college baseball for it to be worth the amount of resources it would take for 247 or some other similar service to do an adequate job of scouting and ranking. There are also so many kids that fly under the radar and are late bloomers.

I know all of the above happens for football players as well but football guys are just about guaranteed to end up in college where as you really don't know who's class will pan out in baseball due to the draft.

It would be a little better than an educated guess. before the draft.

AlSwearengen
08-22-2019, 05:46 PM
I asked on facebook and the people there said that lsu definitely wanted him. I was curious because he was committed to ull and then switched to us. Maybe he is the oddball Louisianan that doesn’t want to go to lsu or doesn’t like the coaches or whatever. He is rated as a 9.5 by PG, so if they are accurate with that rating he is good.

Dawg61
08-22-2019, 07:50 PM

How is that possible? I mean w the time we've waited on other classes...**
Good recruiting staff! All different types of guys. Legit coaches as well.

Like I've been saying for years the majority of our time recruiting should be spent on HS juniors and seniors. Looks like Lemons agrees. Also see the nice transfers he's brought in recently as well. Keep trying to bring up a dead argument again though Homedawg like ISID hasn't already warned us to shut this shit up. Don't respond to this post. You or Todd. Glad we got some nice commits.

Homedawg
08-22-2019, 08:59 PM
Like I've been saying for years the majority of our time recruiting should be spent on HS juniors and seniors. Looks like Lemons agrees. Also see the nice transfers he's brought in recently as well. Keep trying to bring up a dead argument again though Homedawg like ISID hasn't already warned us to shut this shit up. Don't respond to this post. You or Todd. Glad we got some nice commits.

Looks like he agrees?? Hahahah no bro. Have you seen the commits we got. I'm about to make you vomit, we had a coach spend a week at a 14 u tournament after he college World Series and July 4th. Our staff spent way more time on 22 and beyond than you even wont to know about. But considering every major program in the county does the same thing, we apparently aren't so stupid.

Todd4State
08-22-2019, 09:52 PM

We got a 9th grade commit about an hour later.

Like we've been saying this is just how it is nowadays. Players are being recruited younger and are committing younger. It's a different era. You may not like it. You may not agree with it. But that's what is happening across the country with the elite baseball programs like ours.

What is happening is we are taking a couple of 8th graders, then the next year for that class a couple of 9th graders, and then a few 10th graders, and then add in some juniors, and some seniors depending on how they develop and when they emerge as a prospect.

This is what we have to do to have the baseball program that we want that competes for SEC and National Championships every year.

And it's starting to happen in football gradually- we have a football commit that is sophomore. I wouldn't be surprised if we take commitment from a 9th grader in the next five years.

captaindog
08-23-2019, 09:11 AM

Like we've been saying this is just how it is nowadays. Players are being recruited younger and are committing younger. It's a different era. You may not like it. You may not agree with it. But that's what is happening across the country with the elite baseball programs like ours.

What is happening is we are taking a couple of 8th graders, then the next year for that class a couple of 9th graders, and then a few 10th graders, and then add in some juniors, and some seniors depending on how they develop and when they emerge as a prospect.

This is what we have to do to have the baseball program that we want that competes for SEC and National Championships every year.

And it's starting to happen in football gradually- we have a football commit that is sophomore. I wouldn't be surprised if we take commitment from a 9th grader in the next five years.

My son is friends with and plays baseball with Rives. Great baseball player and better kid. However it?s not hard to imagine as he has great parents. Super family.

Johnson85
08-23-2019, 09:59 AM

How often do these 8th and 9th grader commits get dropped before they graduate? Just seems like the hit rate would be relatively low for the elite programs b/c you have draft risks on one side and then are good enough in recruiting that it doesn't take much drop off to make someone fall behind another available player.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 10:06 AM
How often do these 8th and 9th grader commits get dropped before they graduate? Just seems like the hit rate would be relatively low for the elite programs b/c you have draft risks on one side and then are good enough in recruiting that it doesn't take much drop off to make someone fall behind another available player.

We haven't taken a ton. But at this point we haven't dropped any.

Johnson85
08-23-2019, 10:11 AM
We haven't taken a ton. But at this point we haven't dropped any.

Have there been any you remember that ended up being marginal recruits by signing day? Just curious about how easy it is to project these guys that far out.

Duckdog
08-23-2019, 10:13 AM
My son is friends with and plays baseball with Rives. Great baseball player and better kid. However it?s not hard to imagine as he has great parents. Super family.
I agree good folks for sure

BiscuitEater
08-23-2019, 10:22 AM

Like we've been saying this is just how it is nowadays. Players are being recruited younger and are committing younger. It's a different era. You may not like it. You may not agree with it. But that's what is happening across the country ...

Todd, don't confuse Dawg61 with reality.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Have there been any you remember that ended up being marginal recruits by signing day? Just curious about how easy it is to project these guys that far out.

No. Not all have been Stars. But all have contributed significantly.

captaindog
08-23-2019, 12:17 PM

Obviously the biggest risk is if the player is an early developer and has stopped growing. My son has played travel baseball for years and some of the kids that were beasts when younger are now middle of the pack due to everyone else catching up. Of course some get hurt and some either get burned out or favor another sport as they get older.

I don?t agree with offering at such an early age or a kid committing. However it?s an individual family decision.

Todd4State
08-23-2019, 04:53 PM

Actually our hit rate has been very high. We've done a great job of evaluating younger players. LA, Jake Mangum, JT Ginn, Luke Hancock, Austin Riley, Keegan James, Hunter Stovall, Blaze Jordan, among others- all were evaluated and committed before their junior year. To my recollection we have never dropped a player that committed as an 8th, 9th or 10th grader. We've evaluated younger players better than we have JUCO players.

Obviously the biggest risk is if the player is an early developer and has stopped growing. My son has played travel baseball for years and some of the kids that were beasts when younger are now middle of the pack due to everyone else catching up. Of course some get hurt and some either get burned out or favor another sport as they get older.

I don?t agree with offering at such an early age or a kid committing. However it?s an individual family decision.

The thing that people need to understand is people develop at different rates. Some early and some later. With baseball, there are things that college coaches and scouts look at to get a better idea of whether someone is just very mature or whether they are going to project. There's a difference between a player in 8th grade that is 6'0" tall and let's say weighs 215 and looks like a man already physically who is dominating his travel ball and a player that is say 6'0" tall and weighs 165 in 8th grade that is playing up two levels in travel ball and standing out among the competition.

I think it's OK to offer younger players but it has to be the right situation and the right player. And I think MSU has done a really good job of that. Obviously in most years you only want to take a couple of 8th graders because otherwise then you start to run the risk of missing players later on after that.