PDA

View Full Version : CBS releases overrated or underrated 2019 list

Coach007
08-21-2019, 10:16 AM
Mississippi State: After Joe Moorhead's offense came up woefully short in his first season and three first rounders departed from what was arguably the best defense in college football, I get the skepticism on Mississippi State. But with an improved receiving corps, one of the best running backs no one's talking about in Kylin Hill, and a quarterback in Tommy Stevens that has a firm grasp of the system from his time at Penn State, I would expect the offense to improve dramatically. The defense will dip, but I think this team is more prepared to reload than many believe. Cam Dantzler is an NFL cornerback, there's plenty of edge pass rush talent, and Eroll Thompson and Willie Gay make up an elite linebacking corps. This team is probably capable of beating anyone not named Alabama on its schedule. -- Barton Simmons

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2019-sec-expert-picks-overrated-underrated-teams-and-predicted-order-of-finish/

Lord McBuckethead
08-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Not a bad take. But it is "show me" time. We need guys that show up and prove it on Saturday's in the fall, not spring.

Jack Lambert
08-21-2019, 10:39 AM
Not a bad take. But it is "show me" time. We need guys that show up and prove it on Saturday's in the fall, not spring.

To be honest the three mention on defense has already showed up. They are good.

Tbonewannabe
08-21-2019, 10:43 AM
It seems like everyone but some MSU fans have faith that Joe can turn the offense around. We still have some elite defensive talent and the Oline might be the best it has been since 2014.

Coach007
08-21-2019, 11:01 AM
We are listed under rated..... but you should read those overrated and etc.... it is a nice article.

Johnson85
08-21-2019, 11:04 AM
It seems like everyone but some MSU fans have faith that Joe can turn the offense around. We still have some elite defensive talent and the Oline might be the best it has been since 2014.

There is a difference in turning the offense around and turning it around based largely on 1st year transfers. I think Joe is going to be able to get his offense to work, at the very least as well as Mullen's did. I'm just not sure that Stevens and Zuber fix our offensive issues from last year. Certainly a good QB and good WR were all we needed to completely transform our offense from last yaer. I think people are just skeptical if STevens and Zuber are quite at that level, especiallly considering hte rest of our WR corp is still subpar for an SEC team.

Jack Lambert
08-21-2019, 11:21 AM
There is a difference in turning the offense around and turning it around based largely on 1st year transfers. I think Joe is going to be able to get his offense to work, at the very least as well as Mullen's did. I'm just not sure that Stevens and Zuber fix our offensive issues from last year. Certainly a good QB and good WR were all we needed to completely transform our offense from last yaer. I think people are just skeptical if STevens and Zuber are quite at that level, especiallly considering hte rest of our WR corp is still subpar for an SEC team.

I agree but I could disagree. The guys Mullen recruited are not a fit for Joe,s offense. However Joe is recruiting the guys that will fit his offense. The first of those were this past signing season. These transfers are giving Joe time to get the guys he needs and coach for his offense. I would be surprise if KT is ever the full time starting QB if he stays at Miss State. Great QB but not a good fit for Moorhead's offense. I would not blame his one bit or surprised if he ended up transferring out.

msbulldog
08-21-2019, 12:18 PM

I think Payton will show to be SEC quality. With Zuber and Payton running routes that will loosen the coverage on Guidry and Mitchell.

KentuckyDawg13
08-21-2019, 12:27 PM
So, Texas A&M is BOTH most overrated and underrated?

Bothrops
08-21-2019, 12:34 PM

We have as highly ranked of a WR corp as we will ever have, imo.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 12:36 PM

You'd take this group over bear, Ross, Fred brown, Lewis, Myles, and Johnson at TE?

Johnson85
08-21-2019, 12:57 PM

Ranked by what? Recruiting stars? And over what time period?

If things really pan out, we will probably have a middle of the pack SEC WR corps. That will be a huge improvement, but that's not setting some bar that we won't be able to surpass in the future.

Turfdawg67
08-21-2019, 12:57 PM

It's only a few, but vocal, fans.

Bothrops
08-21-2019, 01:00 PM
You'd take this group over bear, Ross, Fred brown, Lewis, Myles, and Johnson at TE?

That's the one exception. But I forgot that all those guys played together.

Bothrops
08-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Ranked by what? Recruiting stars? And over what time period?

If things really pan out, we will probably have a middle of the pack SEC WR corps. That will be a huge improvement, but that's not setting some bar that we won't be able to surpass in the future.

In stars. Guys that sign with us.

Johnson85
08-21-2019, 01:06 PM
I agree but I could disagree. The guys Mullen recruited are not a fit for Joe,s offense. However Joe is recruiting the guys that will fit his offense. The first of those were this past signing season. These transfers are giving Joe time to get the guys he needs and coach for his offense. I would be surprise if KT is ever the full time starting QB if he stays at Miss State. Great QB but not a good fit for Moorhead's offense. I would not blame his one bit or surprised if he ended up transferring out.

It's really not about fit outside of QB. Our OL may not be exactly what Moorhead would look for, but they weren't really a problem last year. Hill is basically exactly what Moorhead needs for his offense. Our WRs I think were fine as far as "fit", it's just they weren't SEC quality.

If Zuber can make people pay for manning him up, and TS is a good QB, then I expect our offense to be really, really good this year. Just not sure if both or even either of those things will be true. I think TS will be an upgrade, but he's a guy that sat behind McSorley (which doesn't tell you much) but then wasn't a clear starter over a returning Sophomore, which I think means it's more likely that he'll be solid than really good (but who knows; maybe the PSU QB is just special and TS is still really good). I think Zuber is more of a known quantity, but it's not like he was dominant at KSU. And not sure how different it's going to be for him going against SEC quality defenses in 6 games a year (assuming that UM and Ark still won't be SEC quality) instead of one or two games a yaer.

Tbonewannabe
08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
I think Payton will show to be SEC quality. With Zuber and Payton running routes that will loosen the coverage on Guidry and Mitchell.

The thing is you just need 2-3 really good WRs to have a good offense. The couple of good ones open up for the average WRs to make plays. Bama has lived off of just having one elite WR, 1 TE, and a committee of RBs. Most years Bama has one WR that catches around 60-70% of the passes.

If Payton and Zuber are as good as advertised then hopefully it allows Guidry and Mitchell to at least make some catches and be an average SEC WR.

Johnson85
08-21-2019, 02:45 PM
In stars. Guys that sign with us.

So what is the relevance of that? Whether it's lack of development or just misevaluation to begin with, the ranking obviously has no relation to the actual production for these players. Even then, though, who are our players that are really that highly rated that are in the rotation? Whop was decently rated. Not sure what Zuber was but obviously he was a highly ranked "recruit" as a transfer. Guidry was I guess a highly rated JUCO guy. After that? Wasn't Mitchell a relatively late addition that wasn't highly rated? Thomas? I don't remember Thomas really at all. I guess Dear was fairly high rated, maybe, although I'm not sure he's really in the main rotation. It just doesn't seem like even the player ratings as recruits really is setting a bar that high.

DanDority
08-21-2019, 03:21 PM
To be honest the three mention on defense has already showed up. They are good.

Two of the three mentioned need someone eating up blocker in front of them.