PDA

View Full Version : Observations from Steve

TrapGame
08-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Steve was on Bo this am and said from pretty good things about the offense.

> Zuber is the real deal. He has made the DBs up their game. He can cut your ankles with a juke. Guidry has also improved by competing with Zuber.

> The offense looks light years better than last year. Tommy Stevens is the real deal too.

> KT is staying. In fact expect some two QB sets with one of them lined up as a receiver.

> Nick Gibson had the best camp of his career. He's a solid backup for KH. Also expect two back sets utilizing both RBs.

BulldogDX55
08-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Sounds like KT will have a role similar to what TS had at PSU while TM was QB.

Tbonewannabe
08-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Hopefully this is truthful and not just sunshine blown up our arses. If most of this is true then our offense could take a big jump which is needed if the rumors of defensive players suspended is true.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Hopefully this is truthful and not just sunshine blown up our arses. If most of this is true then our offense could take a big jump which is needed if the rumors of defensive players suspended is true.

I'm a joe skeptic for sure, but I do expect the offense to progress nicely this year. I just think the defense coming back to earth (esp considering gay and Autry) will offset the offensive improvement.

Tbonewannabe
08-21-2019, 10:22 AM
I'm a joe skeptic for sure, but I do expect the offense to progress nicely this year. I just think the defense coming back to earth (esp considering gay and Autry) will offset the offensive improvement.

I agree but if our offense actually improves then even with defensive regression we should win 7-8 games. UM and Ark - we could have named the score and UK lost more on defense than us even considering Gay and Autry. UT is down several Oline plus Dline guys. We return almost our entire Offense except 2 interior Oline (they were really good but we actually have really good replacements) and a QB that didn't fit the offense no matter how great a runner he was.

TrapGame
08-21-2019, 10:32 AM
I agree but if our offense actually improves then even with defensive regression we should win 7-8 games. UM and Ark - we could have named the score and UK lost more on defense than us even considering Gay and Autry. UT is down several Oline plus Dline guys. We return almost our entire Offense except 2 interior Oline (they were really good but we actually have really good replacements) and a QB that didn't fit the offense no matter how great a runner he was.

All this doom and gloom about the defense is b/c we were spoiled by what we had on the field last year. We will be back to an average SEC defense next year but our offensive output will be able to compensate against most defenses not named Bama, LSU and Auburn. And even then those defenses won't shut down our offense.

ScoobaDawg
08-21-2019, 10:34 AM
Man.. I'm just ready to see how TS and Zuber do.. We shouldn't struggle too much no matter what in the first 2 games. But won't truly know anything for another 5 weeks likely of how special they could be.

MedDawg
08-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Sounds like KT will have a role similar to what TS had at PSU while TM was QB.

I'm curious if they will use all combinations as passer and receiver. Both can run, both can throw, with Stevens possibly a littler better passer. I know Stevens can catch, not sure if KT can catch. He dropped the only pass in the Outback Bowl.

IF we will run formations with two running backs, then we may run a formation with Stevens/KT as QB, and both Kylin Hill and KT/Stevens in the backfield. The options!

At Penn State, there was a successful play (multiple times) where Stevens lined up as a WR, then at the snap to McSorley Stevens ran to the backfield, took the handoff for an end around, then ran or passed depending on what the defense was giving up. Like the RB pass but with a much better passer. And of course, the QB had the option to not handoff the ball to Stevens and either run it, pass it downfield, or pass it to Stevens in the flat.

Tbonewannabe
08-21-2019, 10:40 AM
All this doom and gloom about the defense is b/c we were spoiled by what we had on the field last year. We will be back to an average SEC defense next year but our offensive output will be able to compensate against most defenses not named Bama, LSU and Auburn. And even then those defenses won't shut down our offense.

I am not going to say yes or no to this but great defenses do that to people when you make them one dimensional. Last year we couldn't pass well enough to overcome it so hopefully we can this year.

TrapGame
08-21-2019, 10:41 AM
I am not going to say yes or no to this but great defenses do that to people when you make them one dimensional. Last year we couldn't pass well enough to overcome it so hopefully we can this year.

That's very true, but I don't think we will be one dimensional this time. (crosses fingers)

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2019, 10:44 AM
- Steve doesn't know if the offense will be better. He hasn't seen it.
- However, it's a FACT that we are more talented on offense this year. The QB & WR are a definite upgrade & the OL should be a push at worst.
- Let's wait & see what exactly the suspensions are on defense before we start thinking our defense will be worse because of them.
- In a perfect world, the best way to disguise the weakness of our DL is too get ahead in games & put opposing offenses in passing situations

Homedawg
08-21-2019, 10:44 AM

> Zuber is the real deal. He has made the DBs up their game. He can cut your ankles with a juke. Guidry has also improved by competing with Zuber.

> The offense looks light years better than last year. Tommy Stevens is the real deal too.

> KT is staying. In fact expect some two QB sets with one of them lined up as a receiver.

> Nick Gibson had the best camp of his career. He's a solid backup for KH. Also expect two back sets utilizing both RBs.

I keep seeing us using two te sets and two rb sets. This is completely different that what joe has done his entire career. He's a 1 te 1 rb guy 99% of the time. Maybe he's adapting. We will see.

Homedawg
08-21-2019, 10:46 AM
- Steve doesn't know if the offense will be better. He hasn't seen it.
- However, it's a FACT that we are more talented on offense this year. The QB & WR are a definite upgrade & the OL should be a push at worst.
- Let's wait & see what exactly the suspensions are on defense before we start thinking our defense will be worse because of them.
- In a perfect world, the best way to disguise the weakness of our DL is too get ahead in games & put opposing offenses in passing situations

I agree on the more talent on offense.....
As well as the part about getting leads.

msudawglb
08-21-2019, 11:15 AM

The only thing I want to know is....

Are we going to huddle for 5 seconds, come out of huddle, wait 3-5 seconds, look over to the sideline for 3-5 seconds, change our lineup, wait another 3-5 seconds, and then snap the ball???

thf24
08-21-2019, 11:23 AM
The only thing I want to know is....

Are we going to huddle for 5 seconds, come out of huddle, wait 3-5 seconds, look over to the sideline for 3-5 seconds, change our lineup, wait another 3-5 seconds, and then snap the ball???

Supposedly a lot of that time wasted was due to Nick being slow to process the calls and the pre-snap reads. To add to that, Kylin said in a 247 interview a few days ago that Nick was also having to help other players get lined up last year, which if taken at face value means we had a pretty major blind leading the blind situation going on pre-snap. If anything is better this year, it's going to be getting the call in and getting lined up with a QB who has 3+ years in the offense and everyone else being a year wiser.

fishwater99
08-21-2019, 11:41 AM
I keep seeing us using two te sets and two rb sets. This is completely different that what joe has done his entire career. He's a 1 te 1 rb guy 99% of the time. Maybe he's adapting. We will see.

He didn't change a thing last year, why would he now?

Maroonthirteen
08-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Supposedly a lot of that time wasted was due to Nick being slow to process the calls and the pre-snap reads. To add to that, Kylin said in a 247 interview a few days ago that Nick was also having to help other players get lined up last year, which if taken at face value means we had a pretty major blind leading the blind situation going on pre-snap. If anything is better this year, it's going to be getting the call in and getting lined up with a QB who has 3+ years in the offense and everyone else being a year wiser.

Seems the whipping post is Fitz for all things wrong with our offense last year. I’m not buying it.

Bleeding the clock to zero was on JoMo. It didn’t happen during the Mullen era with the same personnel.

Maroonthirteen
08-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Well you certainly recapped what he said. But that wasn?t my interpretation on somethings. For instance he did talk about KT being at home in Starkville but I?m almost positive He qualified everything he said on that subject with ?you never know? at the end.

thf24
08-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Seems the whipping post is Fitz for all things wrong with our offense last year. I’m not buying it.

Bleeding the clock to zero was on JoMo. It didn’t happen during the Mullen era with the same personnel.

Joe is going to have a check to the sideline after the defense lines up almost every play, that much is on him. That may not be totally viable in today's SEC, but it's probably not going to to change at least for a while. But his PSU offenses moved much faster than we did last year, so it was obviously at least partially on the players.

TrapGame
08-21-2019, 11:59 AM

Uh, we weren't running ******* offense anymore.

They didn't look to the sideline at Penn State b/c McSorely knew what he was doing. I expect the same from Tommy.

Really Clark?
08-21-2019, 12:00 PM

Joe’s offense has always been very methodical before snapping the ball, trying to get into good looks. Even at Penn State. If it’s faster this season it’s because Joe has changed.

StateDawg44
08-21-2019, 12:06 PM

Are you saying we didn't have terrible play clock management under Mullen????

thf24
08-21-2019, 12:07 PM
Joe’s offense has always been very methodical before snapping the ball, trying to get into good looks. Even at Penn State. If it’s faster this season it’s because Joe has changed.

It wasn't hurry up by any means at PSU, but they weren't routinely snapping the ball with less than 5 seconds on the clock like we were last year either. Just glancing at a few 2017 highlights, they were usually snapping the ball between 10-15 left.

TrapGame
08-21-2019, 12:08 PM
It wasn't hurry up by any means at PSU, but they weren't routinely snapping the ball with less than 5 seconds on the clock like we were last year either. Just glancing at a few 2017 highlights, they were usually snapping the ball between 10-15 left.

Exactly. I expect us to move with some urgency this time around.

RiverCityDawg
08-21-2019, 12:16 PM

That's just not true. He changed going into the Auburn game then again for the LSU game then again for Texas A&M. He didn't always change effectively and that's concerning, but it cannot he debated that he "didn't change a thing."

RiverCityDawg
08-21-2019, 12:23 PM

I noticed Farrod mention two TE sets in an interview and it was very interesting to me because of what you mention and Joe being almost exclusively 11 everywhere he's been. Haven't seen the 21 talk. I just hope he's doing something he knows. He tried to run stuff last year out of his wheelhouse and it just didn't work. We hired him to run his offense, it's on him to get it going.

TrapGame
08-21-2019, 12:27 PM
I noticed Farrod mention two TE sets in an interview and it was very interesting to me because of what you mention and Joe being almost exclusively 11 everywhere he's been. Haven't seen the 21 talk. I just hope he's doing something he knows. He tried to run stuff last year out of his wheelhouse and it just didn't work. We hired him to run his offense, it's on him to get it going.

In Joe's Sirius XM interview on the SEC channel he said he was digging up some plays he hasn't run in ten years with this offense for this season.

Ari Gold
08-21-2019, 12:27 PM

I was at a practice .. and numerous times we had 2 TE in different formations.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 12:30 PM
If joe has ran 1 rb, 1 te sets his whole career and now goes 2-rb/2-te sets, that seems to indicate joe isn't as confident in our WRs as most here

HancockCountyDog
08-21-2019, 12:30 PM

I don't agree with this. If he had tried to stick with the PSU offense he tried the first half of the season we would have gone 6-6 last year.

He realized he needed to run more "Mullen" with the personnel we had and he did. I'm still not happy about last year, but to say he doesn't change is just not true.

Homedawg
08-21-2019, 12:37 PM
Seems the whipping post is Fitz for all things wrong with our offense last year. I?m not buying it.

Bleeding the clock to zero was on JoMo. It didn?t happen during the Mullen era with the same personnel.

This. Fitz wasn't checking the play. Jomo was. But it's easy to blame fitz. Why not.???***

thf24
08-21-2019, 12:37 PM
If joe has ran 1 rb, 1 te sets his whole career and now goes 2-rb/2-te sets, that seems to indicate joe isn't as confident in our WRs as most here

Why not that he has a better respect for SEC edge rushers this year, which was one of the biggest flaws in his offense last year he needed to correct?

Homedawg
08-21-2019, 12:38 PM

They didn't look to the sideline at Penn State b/c McSorely knew what he was doing. I expect the same from Tommy.
They did a check w me at psu as well. Now maybe they snapped it sooner. Don't know.

Homedawg
08-21-2019, 12:39 PM
That's just not true. He changed going into the Auburn game then again for the LSU game then again for Texas A&M. He didn't always change effectively and that's concerning, but it cannot he debated that he "didn't change a thing."

Well he's never ever changed from his 11 personnel. So if he does that to any reasonable % that would be a big change

basedog
You can't play hurry up on offense when your offense is inconsistent, plus why hurry up when you had a defense like we did last year. Fitz was a good college Qb, he had a serious ankle injury, but the fact remains he was an athlete playing Qb, times have changed now days. You need a smart guy who makes quick decisions, Joe may call the formation but he believes in his Qb to make the correct adjustments. Not sure Fitz was consist in this area, not sure how much studying the playbook he put into the process. just saying

msstate7
Why not that he has a better respect for SEC edge rushers this year, which was one of the biggest flaws in his offense last year he needed to correct?

I really hope this is the reason. Still if our WRs are showing out every day in practice, seems odd to change sets to take one off the field

thf24
08-21-2019, 12:42 PM
They did a check w me at psu as well. Now maybe they snapped it sooner. Don't know.

Yes, they did. I think you know good and well it isn't Joe's intent to routinely run the clock all the way down like we did last year, check or not.

HancockCountyDog
08-21-2019, 12:45 PM
This. Fitz wasn't checking the play. Jomo was. But it's easy to blame fitz. Why not.???***

I'm not sure there has been a single player that has caught more shit than Fitz. Say what you want about that kid, but lets be clear - we don't beat AU without him last year. He averaged 6.0 ypc over his career at MSU. S-I-X yards a carry in over 581 carries. Y'all may think that is easily replaceable, I'll wait a bit.

Just saying, the kid never lost to the confederates when he was able to walk, had 99 total touchdowns and close to 10,000 total yards in his MSU career, where he went 22-14 as a starter in the SEC.

So if you are going to blame the kid for clock management (which he never had a problem with before last year) at least put some respect on his name.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure there has been a single player that has caught more shit than Fitz. Say what you want about that kid, but lets be clear - we don't beat AU without him last year. He averaged 6.0 ypc over his career at MSU. S-I-X yards a carry in over 581 carries. Y'all may think that is easily replaceable, I'll wait a bit.

Just saying, the kid never lost to the confederates when he was able to walk, had 99 total touchdowns and close to 10,000 total yards in his MSU career, where he went 22-15 as a starter in the SEC.

So if you are going to blame the kid for clock management (which he never had a problem with before last year) at least put some respect on his name.

Fitz gets trashed here daily. Totally unfair

TrapGame
08-21-2019, 12:51 PM
I really hope this is the reason. Still if our WRs are showing out every day in practice, seems odd to change sets to take one off the field

Having two really talented TEs in the same set adds an interesting wrinkle. Why not.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 12:54 PM
Having two really talented TEs in the same set adds an interesting wrinkle. Why not.

I'm all for it.

Bothrops
08-21-2019, 12:56 PM
Fitz was a hell of a football player, unfortunately they don't give awards to qb's that rush for record yards. Nobody cares about that except the respective fans. Which is terrible.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 12:58 PM
Fitz was a hell of a football player, unfortunately they don't give awards to qb's that rush for record yards. Nobody cares about that except the respective fans. Which is terrible.

Well we certainly have a proud tradition of great QBs here, so yeah, we should trash one of our better ones.

Cooterpoot
08-21-2019, 12:59 PM
I trust Steve?s opinion like I trust a Taco Bell fart. We?ll be better on offense because we can?t really be worse. The rest is a guess.

thf24
08-21-2019, 01:05 PM
Come on, there's a huge difference between "trashing" a player and pointing out how his shortcomings might have contributed to problems we're hoping to resolve going forward. The former shouldn't be tolerated, but complaining about the latter is no different than trying to suppress negativity about the future.

Bothrops
08-21-2019, 01:05 PM
I trust Steve?s opinion like I trust a Taco Bell fart. We?ll be better on offense because we can?t really be worse. The rest is a guess.

Our DL will get exposed in the middle against LSU, Bama and probably Auburn. We should have the best offense since '14 or '15.

Bothrops
08-21-2019, 01:10 PM
Well we certainly have a proud tradition of great QBs here, so yeah, we should trash one of our better ones.

I'm not trashin, I'm stating that we had a record breaking football player that got little to no respect around the the land. And may never get it.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 01:12 PM
Come on, there's a huge difference between "trashing" a player and pointing out how his shortcomings might have contributed to problems we're hoping to resolve going forward. The former shouldn't be tolerated, but complaining about the latter is no different than trying to suppress negativity about the future.

On the previous page, a poster pretty said fitz is stupid, and didn't study his play book. Exactly what evidence is there to support this? Is that trashing or pointing out shortcomings?

thf24
08-21-2019, 01:18 PM
On the previous page, a poster pretty said fitz is stupid, and didn't study his play book. Exactly what evidence is there to support this? Is that trashing or pointing out shortcomings?

I never said legitimate trashing doesn't happen, and it shouldn't. But in my observation, what's at this point harmless criticism for the sake of discussion usually gets lumped into the same category.

basedog
08-21-2019, 01:43 PM

Wrong 7, not trashing nor anywhere saying he was stupid, it's a known fact he was a party dude? Why do you think he was suspended?
What's stupid is you saying someone called him stupid.

Tbonewannabe
08-21-2019, 01:50 PM
Seems the whipping post is Fitz for all things wrong with our offense last year. I?m not buying it.

Bleeding the clock to zero was on JoMo. It didn?t happen during the Mullen era with the same personnel.

This exact thing cost us a win against LSU in 2015. There has been plenty of times that it happened under Mullen.

Tbonewannabe
08-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Just saying, the kid never lost to the confederates when he was able to walk, had 99 total touchdowns and close to 10,000 total yards in his MSU career, where he went 22-14 as a starter in the SEC.

I think more than anything Fitz was behind the 8 ball going into the year. We switched from a run first QB offense to a pass first look. That is going to go against some of his instincts that Mullen had drilled into him. Add in that he lost a step from the injury and wasn't able to take live reps in the new offense until August and it was a tough job. Fitz didn't have the experience at QB that a lot of people have at that stage of his career. He was only a starting QB for his senior year and even then it was in a triple option.

It was a tough task and Fitz did ok but a lot of our issues was in the lack of passing game. There was big issues either finding the open man or the WR actually catching the ball when it got there. Plenty of blame to go around including the head coach but QB was an issue in last year's offense. That said, Fitz was an absolute warrior and carried the team with his legs a lot of the last 3 years. Sometimes he tried to do too much but at the end of the day, he was just trying to win games for MSU. He definitely doesn't deserve to get run down all the time but neither does Moorhead.

Tbonewannabe
08-21-2019, 02:04 PM

Or maybe he thinks he has multiple TEs and just wants to get his best players on the field. At least I hope that is what is going on. I have only seen one year where that happened and CJ Sirmones is still wide open for a TD. That guy could have played in the NFL if he kept his head on straight. He was a better receiver than Donald Lee.

fishwater99
08-21-2019, 02:04 PM
Our DL will get exposed in the middle against LSU, Bama and probably Auburn. We should have the best offense since '14 or '15.

Really?

We have 2nd year coach and an un-proven QB who couldn't win the job at PSU. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Turfdawg67
08-21-2019, 02:10 PM

Man, don't bother... it's like talking to a wall. They'll be eating crow soon enough.

Tbonewannabe
08-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Really?

We have 2nd year coach and an un-proven QB who couldn't win the job at PSU. I wouldn't hold my breath.

That is definitely more of the optimist. Our offense might improve but we have Auburn and A&M on the road to go with LSU and Bama at home. We have rarely won any of those games in our history and all of those teams could have a top 15 type defense. Mullen rarely scored double digits against those type of defenses so I wouldn't expect much more from Moorhead.

Turfdawg67
08-21-2019, 02:17 PM
The same ppl dead set against putting any of the blame on Fitz are the same that'll be crediting Tommy for "saving" JoMo's job... watch.

Tbonewannabe
08-21-2019, 02:20 PM
The same ppl dead set against putting any of the blame on Fitz are the same that'll be crediting Tommy for "saving" JoMo's job... watch.

Same people think we somehow could have kept Mullen and won a National Title last year.

Johnson85
08-21-2019, 02:25 PM
Really?

You realize that's only comparing this year to three seasons, one of which we were pretty bad and went 5-7 in the regular season, one where we were pretty good on offense but got demolished by good defenses on the road, and one where we were pretty decent but were ineffective against good defenses. That's not exactly a high bar to clear.

RezDog7
08-21-2019, 02:41 PM

Moorhead gets trashed here daily, totally unfair.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 02:47 PM
Moorhead gets trashed here daily, totally unfair.

Perhaps so, but 7-figure salaries make you open game imo.

Scared_Hitless
08-21-2019, 02:49 PM
I wish the damn season would start so we can stop discussing last season. Either JoMo is the guy or he isn't but man hearing every reason in the book why he is a failure is getting old at this point.

Hail State!

Turfdawg67
08-21-2019, 02:53 PM
Same people think we somehow could have kept Mullen and won a National Title last year.

First we'd have to beat Kirby's defense and that's not gonna happen with Mullen at the helm.

Maroonthirteen
08-21-2019, 03:05 PM
I?d like to qualify which fan I am .... (in response to ?same fans?)

I?m a ....

It was time for Mullen to go. He wanted out. The fan base had lost that loving feeling.
We could have won 9-10 last year with Mullen. We weren?t beating Bama. Doesn?t matter. See above.
Fitz was a good athlete and QB. JoMo asked him to do to much.
JoMo is a helluva hire for MSU. Smart coach that.... IMO... has a complicated system for college football. Considering practice time limitations and the type guy we usually have at QB at MSU.
I hope JoMo is here a long time.
LSU and Bama and AU will expose our DL because they almost always do.... year after year

anyways..... HailState.

msu15
08-21-2019, 04:16 PM

I?m a ....

It was time for Mullen to go. He wanted out. The fan base had lost that loving feeling.
We could have won 9-10 last year with Mullen. We weren?t beating Bama. Doesn?t matter. See above.
JoMo is a helluva hire for MSU. Smart coach that.... IMO... has a complicated system for college football. Considering practice time limitations and the type guy we usually have at QB at MSU.
LSU and Bama and AU will expose our DL because they almost always do.... year after year

anyways..... HailState.

Auburn hasn't exposed shit for us the past 10 years.

TrapGame
08-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Auburn hasn't exposed shit for us the past 10 years.

I don't get the AU love. Gus is an average coach. They are starting a true freshman at QB.

gravedigger
08-21-2019, 04:27 PM

How can you expect the offense to progress if you are skeptical about who is calling it?

gravedigger
08-21-2019, 04:38 PM

Fitz was a good hard nosed kid that thrived under Mullen and could not run Joes offense with a few practices to get ready. It is no character assassination. It is simply observable fact.

This has never been a black white choice. You insisting on being personally insulted whenever this is mentioned is your choice. It says nothing about the validity of the comments.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 04:56 PM
How can you expect the offense to progress if you are skeptical about who is calling it?

I didn't say it would be good. We were 119th in the country last season vs conf teams in total offense. There are 129 conf teams (92nd percentile for conf games futility). If we crack the top 100, that's a "nice" progression, but still not good

Todd4State
08-21-2019, 05:00 PM
I didn't say it would be good. We were 119th in the country last season vs conf teams in total offense. There are 129 conf teams (92nd percentile for conf games futility). If we crack the top 100, that's a "nice" progression, but still not good

How did the offense do overall? PPG?

This is an example of picking and choosing stats to fit your narrative.

Because here's the thing- if our offense is that bad- it's not going to work against OOC teams either. See Croom.

Percho
08-21-2019, 05:01 PM
I'm thinking out loud but keeping it to myself. I'll let ya'll know after 7 or 8 games if I was right or wrong.

About our team this year.

Percho
08-21-2019, 05:02 PM
I'm thinking out loud but keeping it to myself. I'll let ya'll know after 7 or 8 games if I was right or wrong.

About our team this year.

And our coach.

Todd4State
08-21-2019, 05:02 PM

When I am sitting in my seat at the Outback Bowl and we run four verts and there are TWO WR's running by themselves and the QB chooses to throw to the guy that's triple covered.....that's not on the scheme or the coach that called the play.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 05:08 PM
How did the offense do overall? PPG?

This is an example of picking and choosing stats to fit your narrative.

Because here's the thing- if our offense is that bad- it's not going to work against OOC teams either. See Croom.

68th in PPG... tied with vandy. Vs fbs teams only, 80th

MedDawg
08-21-2019, 05:49 PM

We likely had the most difficult schedule in the country vs conference teams' defenses.

Homedawg
08-21-2019, 06:12 PM
We likely had the most difficult schedule in the country vs conference teams' defenses.

Yeah Bc they played us they had better stats....
Example. I'm gave up 4+ yards per rush. We avg and grand total of 2.0....

Scared_Hitless
08-21-2019, 06:25 PM
What is more likely a top flight OC forgot how to coach or he sinply had a bad season with a team limited on the offensive side of the ball. I imagine we see a big progression this season. SEC didn't make him forget how to coach.

MedDawg
08-21-2019, 06:30 PM
Yeah Bc they played us they had better stats....
Example. I'm gave up 4+ yards per rush. We avg and grand total of 2.0....

No, nothing to do with playing us. We played UK, UF, Bama, LSU, Auburn, and even A&M. They had tough defenses against everyone, not just us. Even though we also played Ark and OM, no one in the country faced overall tougher conference defenses than State. Yes, we could have played better offense against them, but it's not right to use a ranking vs the whole country when the whole country played easier defenses than us. Against easier defenses, we moved the ball fairly easily.

Moorhead is a good offensive coach and has proven it everywhere he has been. To only use 2018 MSU and only against the toughest defenses in the country as evidence he is not a good offensive coach is ignorant.

Homedawg
08-21-2019, 06:56 PM
No, nothing to do with playing us. We played UK, UF, Bama, LSU, Auburn, and even A&M. They had tough defenses against everyone, not just us. Even though we also played Ark and OM, no one in the country faced overall tougher conference defenses than State. Yes, we could have played better offense against them, but it's not right to use a ranking vs the whole country when the whole country played easier defenses than us. Against easier defenses, we moved the ball fairly easily.

Moorhead is a good offensive coach and has proven it everywhere he has been. To only use 2018 MSU and only against the toughest defenses in the country as evidence he is not a good offensive coach is ignorant.

What??? Uk defense gave up 4.1 a carry for the YEAR. We avg 2.0 against them 2.1 below their avg. if we avg 4.1 their avg would have been higher. In other words we helped them and fla have better stats than they would have cause we couldn't move the ball. It's not complicated. Spin it how you want.

BuckyIsAB****
08-21-2019, 07:47 PM

Average SEC defense is probably a top 25 unit but we will be better than average. Some on here are flipping out just for the sake of flipping out and others are just stirring the pot. I'll say it again, if the DTs are the worst part of our team, we are going to be pretty good bc we have talent at DT. Worst case scenario we still have LL and ET at ILB. That is a good group with some talent behind them. A good safety group and our best CB duo in years...I am far more concerned about the offense and from all accounts it will be better. Stevens is good. The OL is good and we have a good RB duo. That is a good team as is not counting the TEs and an improved (hopefully) WR group

Tbonewannabe
08-21-2019, 07:52 PM
68th in PPG... tied with vandy. Vs fbs teams only, 80th

And a fg less than the year before so is making one fg the difference between a great offense and a shit one?

Tbonewannabe
08-21-2019, 07:54 PM

The worst scoring defense we lost to was #26 LSU.

Turfdawg67
08-21-2019, 07:56 PM
What??? Uk defense gave up 4.1 a carry for the YEAR. We avg 2.0 against them 2.1 below their avg. if we avg 4.1 their avg would have been higher. In other words we helped them and fla have better stats than they would have cause we couldn't move the ball. It's not complicated. Spin it how you want.

Ok... for the 1000th 17ing time, we sucked in a handful of games where the competition was equal or better because our coach wanted HIS system implemented and run successfully as it has at EVERY other stop in his career. A mistake, sure. But GD, let it go. When our O kicks total ass this year, please return to these games as your barometer of success.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 07:56 PM
And a fg less than the year before so is making one fg the difference between a great offense and a shit one?

We avg'd 28.5 per game. Add 3, and we move from 68th to 42nd. Subtract 3, and we move from 68th to tied at 111th. So yeah, 3 points is a pretty big deal

BuckyIsAB****
08-21-2019, 08:00 PM

I?m a ....

anyways..... HailState.

Its not complicated. High schools run what Moorhead wants. We will have a great chance to beat LSU and a punchers chance at Auburn. Bama at home is easier than Bama on the road. Our DL has dished out way more than it has received just about every year except for 15 and 16 and that was on Mullen for wanting to run everything. Dont believe me? Ask a player who played for him

bulldawg28
08-21-2019, 08:13 PM
Its not complicated. High schools run what Moorhead wants. We will have a great chance to beat LSU and a punchers chance at Auburn. Bama at home is easier than Bama on the road. Our DL has dished out way more than it has received just about every year except for 15 and 16 and that was on Mullen for wanting to run everything. Dont believe me? Ask a player who played for him

What high school is running Moorehead's offense? Please don't say Brandon. Stop it. We're not running Auburn's offense . Had the offense been as simple as you say the team would have grasped it at some point throughout the year similar to the defense learning a new scheme and executing it effectively.

BuckyIsAB****
08-21-2019, 08:20 PM
What high school is running Moorehead's offense? Please don't say Brandon. Stop it. We're not running Auburn's offense . Had the offense been as simple as you say the team would have grasped it at some point throughout the year similar to the defense learning a new scheme and executing it effectively.

Whatever you say chief. Put some salt on your foot to make it taste better just some advice. Starkville High School runs a lot of what Moorhead wants as well.

Also its wise to not talk in absolutes about something you dont know

timotheus
08-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Salt on the foot. nice. Who'd a think it, a school in MS running something like coach Mo? man won't that create interest for recruits.

biggun
08-21-2019, 10:05 PM
I think more than anything Fitz was behind the 8 ball going into the year. We switched from a run first QB offense to a pass first look. That is going to go against some of his instincts that Mullen had drilled into him. Add in that he lost a step from the injury and wasn't able to take live reps in the new offense until August and it was a tough job. Fitz didn't have the experience at QB that a lot of people have at that stage of his career. He was only a starting QB for his senior year and even then it was in a triple option.

It was a tough task and Fitz did ok but a lot of our issues was in the lack of passing game. There was big issues either finding the open man or the WR actually catching the ball when it got there. Plenty of blame to go around including the head coach but QB was an issue in last year's offense. That said, Fitz was an absolute warrior and carried the team with his legs a lot of the last 3 years. Sometimes he tried to do too much but at the end of the day, he was just trying to win games for MSU. He definitely doesn't deserve to get run down all the time but neither does Moorhead.

Amen bro!!! Well said!!!

Pollodawg
08-22-2019, 06:31 PM
I think it’s actually the opposite. We have a puncher’s chance v. LSU and a great chance at AU.

bulldawg28
08-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Whatever you say chief. Put some salt on your foot to make it taste better just some advice. Starkville High School runs a lot of what Moorhead wants as well.

Also its wise to not talk in absolutes about something you dont know

You've spewed this same message trying to give the Brandon Qb a leg up on the offense. When did you learn Moorehead's offense? The only similarities that Starkville high and Brandon have with Moorehead's offense are handoffs, passes, and being in the shotgun.

BuckyIsAB****
08-22-2019, 09:44 PM
You've spewed this same message trying to give the Brandon Qb a leg up on the offense. When did you learn Moorehead's offense? The only similarities that Starkville high and Brandon have with Moorehead's offense are handoffs, passes, and being in the shotgun.

Like I said, it is wise to not speak and let people wonder if you are stupid than to open your mouth and prove it. Maybe that was too harsh, you're not stupid you just dont know what you are talking about.

Moorhead is not some offensive innovator. He is not doing a whole lot that is unique to him. He is creative with formations and steps with RBs and H backs especially and he did a good job getting the most out of McSorely, Barkley and Stevens at Penn St. Kind of like how you saw KT getting in at WR and RB vs Iowa. But his offense as a whole is not some new thing that only he has figured out...

BuckyIsAB****
08-22-2019, 09:48 PM
Its air raid passing concepts mixed it with RPO. Every play that isnt a drop back is a RPO of some kind. Some power and counter too like you saw with us last year. Moorhead ran QB buck sweep with Fitzgerald which is something he had never done. But its mainly Inside and outside zone and they all have read keys and backside options to get the ball out to take advantage of numbers. Its reading conflict players. Bama does it every saturday. Clemson does it, OM does it, A&M does it, its not Moorheads baby

Homedawg
08-22-2019, 09:57 PM
I think it?s actually the opposite. We have a puncher?s chance v. LSU and a great chance at AU.

Ill go the opposite. Very little chance at auburn. And a chance at home vs LSU. As bad as we've been against LSU at home, we've been worse at auburn. And our atmosphere at home isn't the same here now as it was 20 years ago.

bulldawg28
08-23-2019, 01:10 AM
Like I said, it is wise to not speak and let people wonder if you are stupid than to open your mouth and prove it. Maybe that was too harsh, you're not stupid you just dont know what you are talking about.

Moorhead is not some offensive innovator. He is not doing a whole lot that is unique to him. He is creative with formations and steps with RBs and H backs especially and he did a good job getting the most out of McSorely, Barkley and Stevens at Penn St. Kind of like how you saw KT getting in at WR and RB vs Iowa. But his offense as a whole is not some new thing that only he has figured out...

Whatever you say bro. It's so easy a caveman can do it except college athletes studying it everyday can't pick it up.

Bothrops
08-23-2019, 05:11 AM
Ill go the opposite. Very little chance at auburn. And a chance at home vs LSU. As bad as we've been against LSU at home, we've been worse at auburn. And our atmosphere at home isn't the same here now as it was 20 years ago.

We will have to be something super special on offense to beat LSU. They gonna be good.

Homedawg
08-23-2019, 08:15 AM
We will have to be something super special on offense to beat LSU. They gonna be good.

I don't think we're gonna win any of them. Just that LSU gives us best chance at home.