PDA

View Full Version : Nix is Auburn's starting qb

msstate7
08-20-2019, 02:45 PM
https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/2019-Auburn-Tigers-football-True-freshman-Bo-Nix-named-starting-quarterback-134580337/Amp/

.::
This kid is gonna be really good.

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2019, 02:48 PM
I this was Gus’ first step in saving his job. Nix has apparently been bad in scrimmages

KOdawg1
08-20-2019, 02:48 PM
We'll see if he's the real deal. True freshmen QBs have been successful in recent years. Lawrence, Tua, Fromm.. We'll see if he can be that top tier or if he'll be the typical freshman

msstate7
08-20-2019, 02:49 PM
I this was Gus’ first step in saving his job. Nix has apparently been bad in scrimmages

Nix will be fine. Auburn's defense is gonna make a bunch of QBs look bad this year

Covercorner2
08-20-2019, 02:57 PM
https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/2019-Auburn-Tigers-football-True-freshman-Bo-Nix-named-starting-quarterback-134580337/Amp/

Ehh, I think he will be in time. But for this season this is probably best case scenario for us and the rest of the conference. Will he be any better than Stidham? I would have been worried had Gatewood won the job and heard praise about his dual threat ability out of camp, but what Nix brings this year sounds like more of the same....

ZedFedder
08-20-2019, 03:47 PM
I think Nix can run pretty well.

Covercorner2
08-20-2019, 04:10 PM
I think Nix can run pretty well.

I guess. Most QBs can "run" in HS, though. Hell, Jarrett Stidham was a dual threat guy coming out of HS. I'm just saying when AU has been really successful under Gus they have had an explosive runner at QB. I mean they won the West in 2017 with Stidham, but they also lost 4 games...

BankerDog
08-20-2019, 04:21 PM

?Tate Martell is gonna be really good?-MSState7 two years ago.

Wait and watch the kid play a meaningful D1 game before falling into the hype.

msstate7
08-20-2019, 04:23 PM
?Tate Martell is gonna be really good?-MSState7 two years ago.

Wait and watch the kid play a meaningful D1 game before falling into the hype.

All I remember saying about Martell is I would love to have him when he announced a transfer. I still would.

bulldawg28
08-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Dumb move by Gus imo. I doubt Nix is the starter by the time we play Auburn.

TrapGame
08-20-2019, 05:02 PM
True freshman. That doesn't bode well at all.

Schultzy
08-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Dumb move by Gus imo. I doubt Nix is the starter by the time we play Auburn.
Agree, they must really suck at qb to start a true freshman even if daddy started there, and his dad was just ok.

Political Hack
08-20-2019, 06:04 PM
That's rough. Starting a frosh at QB is never what you want.

Skydawg1
08-20-2019, 06:15 PM

Seems like we hear this every year from the Plains.

QuadrupleOption
08-20-2019, 06:16 PM

Yeah but is he the summer front-runner for the Heisman yet?******

Choctaw Dawg
08-20-2019, 07:32 PM
I remember when Jeremy Johnson was the real deal there

Coach34
08-20-2019, 07:49 PM
Auburn arguably has the best DL in the country and return a good secondary also
Auburn returns all 5 starters on the OL
They return their TB's
Return 2 of their 4 top WR's

Auburn gets State, Georgia, and Bama at home. Auburn will contend for the SEC West

Covercorner2
08-20-2019, 08:10 PM
They return their TB's

Auburn gets State, Georgia, and Bama at home. Auburn will contend for the SEC West

While they get UGA and Bama at home, they aren?t beating them.

They also have to play Oregon, State, @A&M, @UF and @LSU.

They will struggle to win 8.

Coach34
08-20-2019, 08:12 PM
While they get UGA and Bama at home, they aren?t beating them.

They also have to play Oregon, State, @A&M, @UF and @LSU.

They will struggle to win 8.

Auburn is a 10-2 team at worst in 2019

Covercorner2
08-20-2019, 08:15 PM

Lol, OK. So they are winning 3 out of these 5?

Bama
UGA
@LSU
@A&M
@UF

FriarsPoint
08-20-2019, 08:17 PM

Bama
UGA
@LSU
@A&M
@UF

I’ll give em 2. UF, A&M.

Covercorner2
08-20-2019, 08:19 PM
I?ll give em 2. UF, A&M.

And then they would have to win out to win 9...

Quaoarsking
08-20-2019, 08:22 PM

It's possible, but I think you know that you can never, ever say that about a team with a true freshman QB.

Skydawg1
08-20-2019, 08:22 PM
We had the best DL last year and lost 5 games. (but we beat Auburn)

Coach34
08-20-2019, 08:24 PM

Bama
UGA
@LSU
@A&M
@UF

yes. Football is still won in the trenches 95 times out of 100

Coach34
08-20-2019, 08:26 PM
We had the best DL last year and lost 5 games. (but we beat Auburn)

We didnt win with our OL vs Kentucky, Bama, Florida, or LSU. We lost to Iowa because of a dropped TD pass in a very even game in the trenches

Football is a trench game

confucius say
08-20-2019, 08:29 PM

I?ll bet you $200 right now they don?t go 10-2 regular season.

Covercorner2
08-20-2019, 08:35 PM

All of those teams have good lines. Just because AU returns some guys on the OL doesn?t mean they will have a better OL than those teams. They weren?t very good there last year. They def won?t have a better OL than Bama or UGA. Hell we probably have a better OL.

Yea, they?ll have a good DL, but they have had that for years and been mediocre and obviously teams like Bama, UGA, LSU, UF, A&M, etc have good DLs, too.

HoopsDawg
08-20-2019, 08:38 PM
Nix not the typical freshman since his dad was a QB at AU and his HS Football coach. Probably enrolled early too, but I didn't verify. Kid can play. Also, the AU offense is not terribly complicated.

confucius say
08-20-2019, 08:38 PM
All of those teams have good lines. Just because AU returns some guys on the OL doesn?t mean they will have a better OL than those teams. They weren?t very good there last year. They def won?t have a better OL than Bama or UGA. Hell we probably have a better OL.

Yea, they?ll have a good DL, but they have had that for years and been mediocre and obviously teams like Bama, UGA, LSU, UF, A&M, etc have good DLs, too.

Auburn OL last year was the worst in a decade. First time since 2009 they didn?t have a 1000 yard rusher. And go look at the qb hurries and sacks they gave up. They did improve late in the year and are veteran, but they were not a strong point of their team last year.

Coach34
08-20-2019, 08:40 PM

Auburn has been far from mediocre- they have won the West twice in the last 6 years and they are usually very good in odd numbered seasons because of their schedule. They will be good this year. Thats the bottom line

confucius say
08-20-2019, 08:45 PM
Auburn has been far from mediocre- they have won the West twice in the last 6 years and they are usually very good in odd numbered seasons because of their schedule. They will be good this year. Thats the bottom line

Do you consider us mediocre? Auburn has the exact same sec record we have since league expansion in 2012, which is .500 or one game over .500 (can?t remember which). Higher highs but lower lows.

Covercorner2
08-20-2019, 08:49 PM

They will be ?good,? but unfortunately for them UGA is on a different level now and Mullen is at UF and Fisher is at A&M.

Coach34
08-20-2019, 08:50 PM
Do you consider us mediocre? Auburn has the exact same sec record we have since league expansion in 2012, which is .500 or one game over .500 (can?t remember which). Higher highs but lower lows.

We dont have 2 West titles. Auburn > State. But we have been solid and a good middle of the pack SEC football team. We are top half SEC in bowl streaks. Thats a good thing.

Covercorner2
08-20-2019, 08:54 PM
We dont have 2 West titles. Auburn > State. But we have been solid and a good middle of the pack SEC football team. We are top half SEC in bowl streaks. Thats a good thing.

QB- push?
RB- push
WR- AU
TE- State
OL- State

DL- AU
LB- State
CB- State
S- AU?

Schedule- State

What makes AU a 10-2 team?

Hell I?d venture to say we are better at RB...

Schultzy
08-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Returning 5 bad offensive linemen for a true freshman qb...not buying.

You gotta score touchdowns to win anymore no matter how highly ranked your defense is, as we know all too well.

Coach34
08-20-2019, 09:03 PM
QB- push?
RB- push
WR- AU
TE- State
OL- State

DL- AU
LB- State
CB- State
S- AU?

Schedule- State

What makes AU a 10-2 team?

Hell I?d venture to say we are better at RB...

Their OL will play very well vs our DL- creating easier conversion situations for their freshman QB. Their OL will pass protect their QB very well and keep us off him.
Their DL will create havoc for our QB and offense- especially on the road- where we were terrible last year. Their Secondary is better than our WR's

Road game where we likely lose by double digits

Covercorner2
08-20-2019, 09:08 PM
Their OL will play very well vs our DL- creating easier conversion situations for their freshman QB. Their OL will pass protect their QB very well and keep us off him.
Their DL will create havoc for our QB and offense- especially on the road- where we were terrible last year. Their Secondary is better than our WR's

Road game where we likely lose by double digits

I?m talking about the whole season. Trying to figure out how you project them to win 10 when on paper they aren?t that much different from State.

Sure, they could beat State by 2 TDs, but they still have to beat Bama, UGA, UF, LSU, A&M, Oregon, etc...

Just like we could lose that game and still win 8-9.

Schultzy
08-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Their shitty OL doesn’t have a swinging dick who can block Spencer or Rivers.

confucius say
08-20-2019, 09:24 PM

We also don?t throw up a 3-9 like auburn does. Their ceiling has been higher, but our floor has been higher in the modern era (since league expansion), thanks to Dan. Dan > Gus

Tripp McNeely
08-20-2019, 09:33 PM

Bama
UGA
@LSU
@A&M
@UF

He was just as big on Auburn last off-season...it must be a thing

BuckyIsAB****
08-20-2019, 09:42 PM
Another year of Auburn hype. They are supposed to contend every single year....

But Nix can spin it. Saw him at the MS/AL game and practice. He is a talented passer. BUT...he is not what Gus is comfortable with

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Gus' offense doesn't' work right without a really really good running QB.

Nix is 6'1" 207 & runs a 4.7 according to his ESPN recruiting profile.

That doesn't sounds like a great running QB to me since he's likely too small to have power & not fast enough to be terribly elusive.

He he already a better passer than Stidham?

BuckyIsAB****
08-20-2019, 10:19 PM

That doesn't sounds like a great running QB to me since he's likely too small to have power & not fast enough to be terribly elusive.

Its close. He can throw it

BuckyIsAB****
08-20-2019, 10:20 PM
And I'll go on record with this, Stevens can spin it too. Yall are sleeping on him

ShotgunDawg
08-20-2019, 10:28 PM
And I'll go on record with this, Stevens can spin it too. Yall are sleeping on him

I don't think anyone is really sleeping on him as much as they haven't seen him & he doesn't have a lofty star ranking beside his name.

RiverCityDawg
08-21-2019, 04:40 AM

The DL will be good, mostly at end plus Derek Brown. If they lose Brown for some reason they are almost in the same boat as us at DT. Their ends are great.

Their OL is experienced but was very average last year. The left tackle is the only left tackle they have. He's battling a sore knee and if he's unavailable they are in a world of hurt. Their center is below average.

There's nearly zero percent chance they win 3 of those 5. They aren't beating Alabama or Georgia and they aren't sweeping those road games. There's a greater chance they lose 4 of those 5 than they even win 2 of them.

bulldawg28
08-21-2019, 07:23 AM
Its close. He can throw it

Hellllll no. Stidham is in the NFL backing up Tom Brady. A damn true Freshman out of high school is nowhere near that level.

bulldawg28
08-21-2019, 07:26 AM

Right now he's watered down Stidham which isn't intimidating. Any defense with a pulse and he's struggling. He's been throwing multiple picks during their scrimmages. He had 3 the 1st and 2 on the second. He's not Tua or Lawrence. After he gets hit a couple of times the wheels are falling off.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 07:28 AM
Hellllll no. Stidham is in the NFL backing up Tom Brady. A damn true Freshman out of high school is nowhere near that level.

I don't know if he's as good as stidham passing yet or not, but nix is a very talented kid. He was the #1 QB coming out of HS. I think he has a very good freshman year... fromm like with not as good a supporting cast

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2019, 07:36 AM
I don't know if he's as good as stidham passing yet or not, but nix is a very talented kid. He was the #1 QB coming out of HS. I think he has a very good freshman year... fromm like with not as good a supporting cast

Stidham was a 5* & actually a little higher ranked out of HS than Nix.

I'm not saying that Nix won't be great, but 1. QB recruiting rankings are by far the most inaccurate of any position & 2. a kid who's dad is Patrick Nix is certainly not going to be underrated. If anything, he's overrated.

Again, name 1 time Gus' offense has worked without a top notch running QB? At 6'1" 205 & running a 4.7, does Nix sound like a top notch runner?

msstate7
08-21-2019, 07:38 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/s2SxhVFn/2-A344-B1-C-C865-4-C57-929-F-B99-BE1423083.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I wish we had top flight qb talent like this kid growing up dreaming of a being a bulldog. Maybe dak will have lots of boys

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2019, 07:40 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/s2SxhVFn/2-A344-B1-C-C865-4-C57-929-F-B99-BE1423083.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I wish we had top flight qb talent like this kid growing up dreaming of a being a bulldog. Maybe dak will have lots of boys

Agree, but that has nothing to do with how good he may be.

I feel like people have additionally gotten caught up in this kid's name: "Bo Nix" rolls off the tongue & sounds like the way you want a Heisman winner's name to sound.

If his name was Edward, would everyone be as high on him?

My point is that as far as they hype machine goes, this kid is riding the gravy train. He may be really good, but I doubt he's near as good as the hype train wants you to believe.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 07:42 AM
Stidham was a 5* & actually a little higher ranked out of HS than Nix.

I'm not saying that Nix won't be great, but 1. QB recruiting rankings are by far the most inaccurate of any position & 2. a kid who's dad is Patrick Nix is certainly not going to be underrated. If anything, he's overrated.

Again, name 1 time Gus' offense has worked without a top notch running QB? At 6'1" 205 & running a 4.7, does Nix sound like a top notch runner?

2017? 3rd in sec in total offense and 4th in scoring offense. Beat Bama and Georgia... scored 26 on Bama, and 40 on Georgia. Stigham ran for 153 yards that year. Next question...

msstate7
08-21-2019, 07:44 AM
Agree, but that has nothing to do with how good he may be.

I feel like people have additionally gotten caught up in this kid's name: "Bo Nix" rolls off the tongue & sounds like the way you want a Heisman winner's name to sound.

If his name was Edward, would everyone be as high on him?

My point is that as far as they hype machine goes, this kid is riding the gravy train. He may be really good, but I doubt he's near as good as the hype train wants you to believe.

Yeah, he got rated as a 5-star, set Bama record for total yardage, and won the job bc his name rolls off the tongue

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2019, 07:45 AM
2017? 3rd in sec in total offense and 4th in scoring offense. Beat Bama and Georgia... scored 26 on Bama, and 40 on Georgia. Stigham ran for 153 yards that year. Next question...

So you think he's going to be better than Stidham this year?

msstate7
08-21-2019, 07:49 AM
So you think he's going to be better than Stidham this year?

I have no idea. Slayton, Williams, and Schwartz are very good WRs though. They return their whole oline. They return their top 3 RBs. They don't need nix to be great... they just need him to be solid

Covercorner2
08-21-2019, 08:19 AM
I have no idea. Slayton, Williams, and Schwartz are very good WRs though. They return their whole oline. They return their top 3 RBs. They don't need nix to be great... they just need him to be solid

Sounds like the same offense as last year with a worse QB. Nix is talented, but to expect him to be better than a senior Stidham is asking a lot.

Their WRs aren't that great. Neither are their RBs. None of their WRs or RBs are elite. They are solid. Kylin Hill is better than anyone they have at RB.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2019, 08:23 AM
Sounds like the same offense as last year with a worse QB. Nix is talented, but to expect him to be better than a senior Stidham is asking a lot.

Their WRs aren't that great. Neither are their RBs. None of their WRs or RBs are elite. They are solid. Kylin Hill is better than anyone they have at RB.

Agree.

But because his name is Bo, everyone has become fascinated with him

bulldawg28
08-21-2019, 08:23 AM

I've seen the kid play twice. He lost one game 51-14 and won the other. He's a gritty kid but he's not special. He was coached by his dad who would leave him in the game passing the ball regardless of the score to Pad his stats.

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2019, 08:25 AM
I've seen the kid play twice. He lost one game 51-14 and won the other. He's a gritty kid but he's not special.

But his name is Bo & he's the son of an ex Auburn QB. If you've never actually seen him play live, he's incredible

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Just imagine his name being Kinkhead Dent, & then think how good he is

bulldawg28
08-21-2019, 08:30 AM
I'm actually glad this kid is starting. Gatewood is a damn monster 6'6 235 athletic Qb that can run. The longer he's on the bench the better for us. I honestly believe Gus was pressured into starting Nix.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 08:31 AM
Just imagine his name being Kinkhead Dent, & then think how good he is

Your name theory is perhaps the dumbest thing you've ever dreamed up. Go drink some coffee and wake up.

Set records in Alabama in HS, Under armor AA, 5-star, and won starting job in sec as true fresh... all bc his name is Bo. Jeez... that's one dense take

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2019, 08:31 AM
I'm actually glad this kid is starting. Gatewood is a damn monster 6'6 235 athletic Qb that can run. The longer he's on the bench the better for us. I honestly believe Gus was pressured into starting Nix.

In order to save his job, if Gus is going to lose this year, it has to be with Nix. If their QB competition was even close, he had to go with Nix since he's the favorite son.

If he lost with Nix on the bench, they'd fire him by week 10

msstate7
08-21-2019, 08:32 AM
Your name theory is perhaps the dumbest thing you've ever dreamed up. Go drink some coffee and wake up.

Set records in Alabama in HS, Under armor AA, 5-star, and won starting job in sec as true fresh... all bc his name is Bo. Jeez... that's one dense take

https://i.postimg.cc/6pPXJT55/D98-EF169-4216-49-A2-A054-4288290-DA068.jpg (https://postimg.cc/YvQVQrWJ)

bulldawg28
08-21-2019, 08:43 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/6pPXJT55/D98-EF169-4216-49-A2-A054-4288290-DA068.jpg (https://postimg.cc/YvQVQrWJ)

His dad started him from the 8th grade. He's supposed to have high numbers by stat padding. His team had a controversy here due to him staying in games and passing the ball. 3 or 4 of the coaches left this year due to how he put his son over the team. He's already starting drama again trying to start his 10th grade son over a senior. Bo is not elite

BB30
08-21-2019, 08:53 AM
His dad started him from the 8th grade. He's supposed to have high numbers by stat padding. His team had a controversy here due to him staying in games and passing the ball. 3 or 4 of the coaches left this year due to how he put his son over the team. He's already starting drama again trying to start his 10th grade son over a senior. Bo is not elite

Keytaon Thompson Stats

197-329 3924 yds 46tds 7int 148 rushes 1429 yds 26 tds

Stats don't tell the whole story. Kid has a chance to be really good. We'll just have to wait and see.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 08:56 AM
Keytaon Thompson Stats

Stats don't tell the whole story. Kid has a chance to be really good. We'll just have to wait and see.

Nah, he wouldn't even be FBS if his name wasn't Bo - shotgun

bulldawg28
08-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Keytaon Thompson Stats

Which kid Bo? Or Keytaon? Being those senior stats are pretty much the same are you saying both or one is elite?

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Nah, he wouldn't even be FBS if his name wasn't Bo - shotgun

yeah, that's exactly what I said*

BuckyIsAB****
08-21-2019, 09:26 AM
The year Auburn beat Bama and UGA they also lost to UCF too so...I dont buy Auburn. They get hyped up on here yearly, C34 always loves them and they usually dont live up to it. Same song different verse.

msstate7
08-21-2019, 09:27 AM
yeah, that's exactly what I said*

What are you saying then? He was an UA AA and 5-star bc of his name?

ShotgunDawg
08-21-2019, 09:36 AM
What are you saying then? He was an UA AA and 5-star bc of his name?

Just saying that I don't think his measurables equal him being a star player unless he's a uniquely good passer with incredible field vision & accuracy. It's certainly possible that he is that, but I doubt he will be as a freshman.

thf24
08-21-2019, 10:15 AM
The year Auburn beat Bama and UGA they also lost to UCF too so...I dont buy Auburn. They get hyped up on here yearly, C34 always loves them and they usually dont live up to it. Same song different verse.

In the past decade it seems like Auburn usually falls on their face when the hype is the highest. They seem to have their best years when it's somewhat tempered. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle this year for once so it'll be interesting to see how they end up.

Covercorner2
08-21-2019, 10:18 AM
In the past decade it seems like Auburn usually falls on their face when the hype is the highest. They seem to have their best years when it's somewhat tempered. I'd say it's somewhere in the middle this year for once so it'll be interesting to see how they end up.

7-5

BiscuitEater
08-21-2019, 10:20 AM
'Maybe' BUT can name several "hyped" Aubie QBs that have flopped.

BB30
08-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Which kid Bo? Or Keytaon? Being those senior stats are pretty much the same are you saying both or one is elite?

I'm saying high school stats don't determine if a QB will be effective as a freshman or not.

Scared_Hitless
08-21-2019, 02:54 PM
I don't think Gus is very good in general he is running a lame duck offense without a rushing QB. But their defense is going to be downright salty and will be a tough out for any team. Not an unwinnable game by any stretch.

Turfdawg67
08-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Keytaon Thompson Stats

Boom!

Jarius
08-21-2019, 03:26 PM
They return their TB's

Auburn has the same win total o/u that we have in Vegas. They have zero chance of competing for the west.

bulldawg28
08-21-2019, 03:33 PM
I'm saying high school stats don't determine if a QB will be effective as a freshman or not.

Gotcha, 100% in agreement.