PDA

View Full Version : SEC baseball players

dawg21
08-19-2019, 09:04 PM
On average - how many SEC caliber players does MS produce each year? I took a quick look at State and OM rosters and OM only has like one FR from MS and we have 9 I believe. The reason I think this is significant is because the last few years the focus on baseball and high level competition at younger ages has absolutely gone nuts. While I think it can very easily become a negative in some kids it also will develop more players overall and a greater pool of skilled talent for our program.

Todd4State
08-19-2019, 09:14 PM
Mississippi varies from year to year mainly because of small population- but it has gotten better and better over the years. Mississippi is one of the top states per capita at producing MLB players now per Baseball America- which I know is not SEC.

To answer the question I'd guess it averages about 10-15 SEC caliber players in a typical year. I'm including players that develop later by going the JUCO route like Peyton Plumlee. And then you have a few that go pro that never play college baseball but it's safe to assume that those players are obviously SEC caliber. Then there are usually a couple that go out of state to somewhere like LSU, Alabama, or Tennessee or wherever. Also, USM sometimes picks up 1-2 that are SEC caliber that grew up USM fans or are from Hattiesburg.